Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

fr0punk posted:

This is Harvey.

This is late, but here's the Harvey-ish clone:

And here he is chillaxing with his junk out:

He's slightly cross-eyed, has a tail that curls in almost all the way, and has turned-out feet like a dachshund. And his ears are at permanent right angles.

Here's a first world problem: Uncommon Goods and Etsy have really cute dog-themed crap that no one really needs, but they are always breed-specific :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Here is Copper's wisdom panel:

Here are a couple of pictures for reference:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Great Pyr mix? Of course :allears:

Boxer looks right though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The Pyr mix is probably some generic farm dog. Fits with the pointer bit too.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Would you guess boxer/american bulldog with some pit in between? I can never tell with mixes.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Boxer and English Bulldog would be my guess? But then I have a hard time identifying American Bulldogs so that could very well be true

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

wtftastic posted:

I guess there are more milled Schips out there than I thought. The rescue that I follow on Facebook always has mill surrenders and BYB'ed dogs in bad condition coming through so I suppose its more common than I want to admit.

Yeah it's sad as heck since schips really aren't the best dogs for inexperienced folks but when I lived in Charleston SC craigslist was full of schip mixes. One woman in particular bred schips x poms and they had some silly designer dog name that I forget.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Queen Elizatits posted:

Yeah it's sad as heck since schips really aren't the best dogs for inexperienced folks but when I lived in Charleston SC craigslist was full of schip mixes. One woman in particular bred schips x poms and they had some silly designer dog name that I forget.

Its funny because our first dog was a Schip (from a conformation breeder) and she was pretty much an awesome dog. But then again, when you have a small, yet energetic dog who is smart enough to cause trouble and pretty opinionated, I can see how things can go poorly. Plus a lot of the ones in rescue have bad bad health problems (either from neglect, from being super fat because they were owned by old people who fed them constantly, or just bad breeding).

Schip x pom sounds depressing and hilarious.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
We have a little black "Schip-a-pom" or whatever at work sometimes. She's tiny and looks like a Koosh ball. She's sweet, but I don't know her that well. Also is it bad that for most of my life I thought Schipperke was pronounced "shi-perk"? :saddowns:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My stepson has a friend whose mom found a three-legged Schipperke running along the side of the road several years ago. Obviously someone's pet - very friendly and her coat was in great shape, and the leg was obviously a surgical amputation rather than a birth defect. Already spayed and had a collar but no tags, and no one ever inquired about her at the shelters or anything, so they got a free awesome little Schipperke. :iiam:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

RazorBunny posted:

My stepson has a friend whose mom found a three-legged Schipperke running along the side of the road several years ago. Obviously someone's pet - very friendly and her coat was in great shape, and the leg was obviously a surgical amputation rather than a birth defect. Already spayed and had a collar but no tags, and no one ever inquired about her at the shelters or anything, so they got a free awesome little Schipperke. :iiam:

Honestly as much as I want a little Finnish spitz, there's something about schipperkes that I really miss. They've got this really nice balance of primitive/ spitz like attitude and being interested and engaged with their people. They also like to make themselves jobs which I guess can be really annoying. The one we had was a beast when it came to rat and mice catching and would patrol the yard.

I'll stop derailing about them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is someone talking about schipperke mutts?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Papercut posted:

I am going to steal your dog.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I am going to steal your dog.

All of my friends say the same thing. I've had 5 dogs in my life before him and I don't want to play favorites, but he's pretty awesome.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Papercut posted:

Schip mutts are the best craziest mutts.

Current state:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Papercut posted:

All of my friends say the same thing. I've had 5 dogs in my life before him and I don't want to play favorites, but he's pretty awesome.
Seriously, I don't even want a dog and I want your dog.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

Schip mutts are the best craziest mutts.

So much scruff.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Seriously, I don't even want a dog and I want your dog.

He's great for cat-lovers too, a couple of days ago my wife caught him sunbathing on our dining room table. You're not a cat, dog.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Papercut posted:

He's great for cat-lovers too, a couple of days ago my wife caught him sunbathing on our dining room table. You're not a cat, dog.

Is the ridiculous vertical leap a schip thing? Ru will bounce up on picnic tables from the ground, and clears the baby gate into the cat room with ease.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

Is the ridiculous vertical leap a schip thing? Ru will bounce up on picnic tables from the ground, and clears the baby gate into the cat room with ease.

I don't know if it's a schipp thing, but he does have crazy hops. When I'm getting his leash, he does a standing jump off of 4 legs and gets his whole body above my waste (I'm 5'11" and he's probably about 12" to his withers).

ForceKin
Dec 22, 2009

I've been lurking in this thread for several months, I figured I should post my pups.

This is Satine, my fiance's dog.
When we got her from the shelter we were told that her mother was a Malinois. I'm not sure how likely that is, but we just call her a purebred Florida browndog. She may have some ridgeback in her, as those are pretty common around here. She definitely has a sighthound body shape and running ability. For reference, she weighs around 40lbs and is nearly 5 feet tall on her hind legs.

This is, for some reason, the only standing full-body picture of her that I have on this computer. She wasn't fully-grown here.

Then, there's Franklin. He's one of those weird cases in which we were actually told by the rescue that he's a chiXpit mix, but I highly doubt it. I know pibbles can be small, but he's 8 lbs! He's clearly chihuahuaXsomething, or maybe just a really badly bred chi? Either way, I love his derpy face.

And the two of them together:

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
We're adopting our 2nd dog this weekend from a rescue (already done meet/greet w/ our current dog, they just want to wait on kennel cough clearing up), and we really don't have a good idea what she is. The rescues guesses are either italian greyhound x random terrier or some sort of powder puff chinese crested mix, but I'm not super familiar with those. She was super friendly in person if a bit uncoordinated running on slick kitchen floors at the foster's house. I'll probably do a wisdom panel when we get her and get a chance, but this is the best pic they have that has her bodytype shown decently, anyone have any idea?:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My first thought was Chinese Crested. Maybe CC x Poodle?

I feel like a CC mixed with an Italian Greyhound might have that body structure but probably wouldn't have the long fur. Could be terrier, but she's awfully leggy. She's quite striking.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
She looks like a Dr. Seuss character! What's her weight?

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Sutureself posted:

She looks like a Dr. Seuss character! What's her weight?

She was listed at 9 lbs, but might be a little skinny from her shelter stay still.

TheAwesome
Mar 30, 2004

I want your soul I will eat your soul

ForcedKen posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for several months, I figured I should post my pups.

This is Satine, my fiance's dog.
When we got her from the shelter we were told that her mother was a Malinois. I'm not sure how likely that is, but we just call her a purebred Florida browndog. She may have some ridgeback in her, as those are pretty common around here. She definitely has a sighthound body shape and running ability. For reference, she weighs around 40lbs and is nearly 5 feet tall on her hind legs.

This is, for some reason, the only standing full-body picture of her that I have on this computer. She wasn't fully-grown here.

Then, there's Franklin. He's one of those weird cases in which we were actually told by the rescue that he's a chiXpit mix, but I highly doubt it. I know pibbles can be small, but he's 8 lbs! He's clearly chihuahuaXsomething, or maybe just a really badly bred chi? Either way, I love his derpy face.

And the two of them together:

I could see Mal in the head and body but it wouldn't be the first thing that I would jump to. With the big ridgeback ears + ridgeback coat it makes a bit more sense. The last picture is the most convincing, she looks a lot like my mom's Mals in that picture.

I don't think it's out of the question, though. My mom fosters dogs for Malinois rescue and she's had a few come up from Florida so they are around.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Lady was a rescue we took into our home because the douchebag neighbors who treated her horribly moved out one night leaving her tied to a hose bib at the back of their home with no food or water.

I have a few more pics of her when we first got her somewhere on my drive. We still can't tell you what she is as the verdict is still out. We think Spaniel crossed with *insert dog here*. Your guess is as good as mine.

Four years ago

Recent

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
I got back the Wisdom Panel results on my dog. :psyduck: We always figured he was a mix of a mix of a mix, but probably with some GSD and hound in there somewhere. He's 50 pounds, has a double coat, and loves every stranger he has ever met.

(Sorry for quality, I couldn't find a better full-body shot.)

Since he's so obviously mutty, I figured I'd believe the Wisdom Panel results as long as it came back with breeds somewhat reasonable for his size and coat type. It never occurred to me that it would come back as mostly primitive breeds. Pretty much the complete opposite of his personality type. Oh well. :v:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I am dogsitting a sweet but smelly little cocker spaniel/beagle mix. It looks like a tiny rougher coated, doe-eyed, long eared vizsla. I will try to get photos.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We adopted Goliath from the shelter this past November. He is the best dog, very sweet, calm, and keeps out of trouble. The shelter said he was an Alaskan Malamute cross, but we have no idea what he could be crossed with. He is estimated to be eight years old and was neutered right before we brought him home. He weighs 70 pounds which is appropriate for his frame. I've read that male Malamutes are usually heavier than he is, and all the pictures I've seen online of Mals shows dogs with a much shorter coat than his. I've posted lots of pics of him in the primitive breed thread, and someone said he very well could be a purebred Mal. What do you think? Do we have a cross or not?

Super long hair.

The best pic I could find of his curly tail. It only gets in that tight curl when he's really having a blast.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Purebred Mal. A woolie, to be exact. Anectdotal but from what I've heard through Mal people is the long haired ones seem to be more laid back in personality- it's a coat that can pop up in a litter, against the standard, but I really don't think he is a mix.

Also, the Primitive thread is lacking new pictures :colbert:

jflan17
May 28, 2003

Hi, I'm Green Lantern! No, not the black guy.. no, no bowl cut.. not the young guy.. Yeah, I'm that one! Hey, where are you going? IT WAS A SPAC
I adopted Misty in May 2011. She was a skittish mess of neuroses when I brought her home, to the point that little things like where she'd sleep and eat were not at all decided like I thought they'd be. I figured she'd be fine sleeping in my room, but I guess because it was on the far end of the house from the door to the outside, she wasn't having any of it at first (hence the picture of her on a towel in the living room, which I progressively moved closer and closer to my room every day until she finally relaxed enough to come in and sleep on her bed (and now MY bed)). She had been homeless out in the middle of nowhere in western Virginia for what was probably quite some time, so the strangest things scared her (and sometimes still do). We can go for walks during a hurricane, but she doesn't trust kitchens. Basically anything having to do with human civilization has a chance of freaking her out. She was roughly 4 and had recently given birth not long before she ended up at the rescue, but nobody knows what ever happened to the puppies (the rescue pulled her at the last minute from a kill shelter, so I hope they all went to good homes).

The rescue listed her as a husky/german shepherd mix, but who knows for sure? She certainly sheds enough and shares enough features with those breeds that I believe it's possible. She MUST have something much smaller in the mix, because she's fully grown at 32 lbs (was 27 when I got her, hence the visible rib cage in some of the photos). She has probably one of the most ridiculous sets of ears I've ever seen on a dog, but that's what first caught my attention when I was browsing petfinder. People have compared her to everything from coyotes (which I get a lot) to foxes - the point being she's got a wild animal look to her. She's really the gentlest, sweetest dog, though. Her fears have never manifested in aggression. Instead, she just stays as still and silent as possible.

So, any ideas? (p.s. sorry for the length of this post - I just like talking about my dog)

Misty's first day home (my feet aren't that small, they're just pointed toward her)

She really hated cars at first. Then the car became her means of getting to the dog park and she got over it quite quickly.

One of many toy massacres.

Stealthy.

Halloween. She was cooperative, but less than happy about it.

My girlfriend and I foster basset hounds, so here's Misty with a couple pals.

Amos is the first basset hound with whom Misty likes to wrestle.

If these links work, you can see Misty in action.
Wrestling with Amos
Playing a weird game with me

jflan17 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 28, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

She's a dead ringer for the Staffy/JRT/Mini Aussie/misc purpose bred sport dogs I see a lot of, but just a little taller.

Here's a photo of a dog she reminds me of, Yahtzee.

And here's another one. This is Tactix.

So basically she's a mutty mutt, and probably is hella athletic.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I want this coyote dog so badly, oh my god.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
For some reason I see a bit of Beagle, the athletic kind not the chunky show-style beagle. I agree though, she is probably a mix of a mix. Incredibly pretty girl!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is Sushi, fluffball of hyperness. He was a rescue dog and I have no remote idea what he might be composed of.

And this is Buddy, the living embodiment of terror. His mom was a purebred rot owned by a breeder and his dad was a boxer with exceptional digging skills. The other 5 pups were pretty rottish and normal and this guy was hiding behind mom in a state of terror, which he has yet to leave since.

These are their personalities in a nutshell:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
'

Thoughts on this pup? This is more of a friend of a friend of a friend type deal who had puppies to give away and I was offered one. All I had was the description 'grey pit bulls parents 50~lb' but now I finally have photos and ??? She is the last girl and omg! Puppy fever. She doesnt look like a pit bull..but if I had to guess I'd throw in some more of mastiff? I believe she is 2~ months old and they said she is 2lbs...does not look like 2lbs there but maybe I am a bad judge. This person gave my friend a shar pei pup once, that could also be possible?

I just want a puppy this a terrible idea :(
At least he isnt selling them, just trying to find them homes?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That does look a little Mastiff but the paws do not have that tell-tale indicator that it will be a huge dog. I would go for it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I posted a a bunch of pictures of Dexter in the Post Your Pet thread but I thought I'd repost in this thread, as I just noticed it and Dexter is indeed a Mutt. I was hoping some of you with a keen eye could help a bit with narrowing down his muttiness a bit. I'm definitely going to purchase one of those Wisdom DNA set things though soon, for sure. They've actually got a valentines day discount going right now, if anyone else is interested :h:.

If for some reason you actually want to read some details about him, check out my post your pets thread post on the last page, as I wrote up a few paragraphs there about how awesome he is :3:.

I'm really not learned about dog breeds at all, so the only thing I really see in him is a lot of Beagle. But he has a much more athletic, svelte build to him that Beagles normally do, right? He seems to have more of a Greyhound like body with the longer limbs and athletic build. He has a similar standing/sitting profile as well. I'm sure there are a bunch of breed similar to the greyhound look I don't know about, however. Unfortunately I don't really have any good pictures of his standing or sitting profile right now.

Also he has that prominent bulging or pointed ribcage or whatever you call it. Dunno if Beagles have that. I guess a lot of dogs have that so maybe it doesn't help.

Anyway, any input would be cool. Even if it's just to say you think Dexter is adorable :3:. Hell, mostly if you want to say that!

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 6, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I could see Beagle x Whippet! He looks like a neat little dog. :)

PS I found your dog's twin while looking for beaglewhippets on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
So we got Micky's wisdom panel results back and they were... interesting to say the least. The shelter we got him from said he was a Dutch Shepherd / Lab mix which made sense, but then again he's only about 45lbs at 7 months which seems a little on the small side.