Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Do you guys think that if Angle was still in the WWE he would be a bigger star then Cena? Basically if none of his troubles had ever happened where do you think his career would be right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LvK posted:

Okay, one more Lucha question: Are there any big lucha "supercards" or huge events I should look into? The only Lucha event I know is Triplemania, which I've never seen in its entirety. Is there a particular year for Triplemania I should get started on? (the 1995 card on IVP looks pretty good so far)

First if you can find the Triple Mania with Konnan wrestling a loser leaves town match (The year before Jake where his opponent refused to do the job), and then the one against Jake when AAA was like, the third biggest promotion in the world or something crazy.

And then from that, look into When Worlds Collide, the famous US PPV that only Paul Heyman saw, apparently.

There is also CMLL but I don't know much about that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Do you guys think that if Angle was still in the WWE he would be a bigger star then Cena?

No. He'd still be a huge star but Cena has more mainstream appeal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

And then from that, look into When Worlds Collide, the famous US PPV that only Paul Heyman saw, apparently.

CMLL's big show is usually the anniversary show in September.

And it's notable that WWC collide gives that impression when it was co-promoted by WCW.

Edit: I r dum.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

CMLL's big show is usually the anniversary show in September.

And it's notable that WWC collide gives that impression when it was co-promoted by WCW.

Edit: I r dum.

It was co-promoted by WCW in the business sense of the word.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Do you guys think that if Angle was still in the WWE he would be a bigger star then Cena? Basically if none of his troubles had ever happened where do you think his career would be right now?

He'd probably be about HBK/HHH's level when they were still active on the roster. Pushed into the main event when necessary but for the most part hanging around the upper-midcard and being used to pull 5-star matches out of thin air for their pay-per-views.

Honestly it's almost exactly what they'd use him for if they got him back tomorrow, and I'd love to see it. He's got his problems, most of which revolve around how psychotically reckless he is with his own health, but he's probably the one guy I miss the most right now. Plus he would make for a loving amazing Wrestlemania match against Taker.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

Plus he would make for a loving amazing Wrestlemania match against Taker.

I'd like to see an Angle/Punk "Best In The World" feud.

He's definitely the one guy I'd like to see have a final run to finish out his career, it'd be tragic for it to end in TNA.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I rather have Daniel Bryan vs Kurt Angle since it would probably be the closest we could get to Daniel Bryan vs Chris Benoit.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'd like to see Kurt Angle retire and never return to the WWE.

:smugbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, by this point, I just want to see him admit it "That's all I can do" and stop.

But that is never going to happen. He's going to die in the ring.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LordPants posted:

First if you can find the Triple Mania with Konnan wrestling a loser leaves town match (The year before Jake where his opponent refused to do the job), and then the one against Jake when AAA was like, the third biggest promotion in the world or something crazy.

This looks like a good couple of answers, thanks!

I am entirely too enthralled with lucha culture and fighting style for how little I actually watch the stuff.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, by this point, I just want to see him admit it "That's all I can do" and stop.

I want him to at least do one RR surprise entrant and then a WM match/WWE HOF deal.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Did Edge ever use the somersault senton again after it injured Jose Estrada in his WWF TV debut match?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He wasn't a bigger star than Cena back in 2006. Right now it's Cena >>>>>>>>>> Punk > Sheamus > Orton > Show/Kane/Alberto/Daniel/Rey/Ziggler/Miz > everyone else, with Undertaker and Triple H being bigger deals for the one or two matches they do a year. If Angle was still wrestling regularly he'd probably be better pushed than Daniel or Rey, but not a premier star like those top four considering his age and problems. Maybe if he was even more injured/broken and was only able to wrestle a few of times a year they'd promote him like an Undertaker-calibre attraction.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

VogeGandire posted:

My ideal scenario is Kurt comes back to WWE and works a limited schedule. No house shows, working on most PPVs and some big RAWs. Kind of like how Undertaker was a few years ago.

I basically want him around to work with younger guys and give us random 4-star matches whenever he appears.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle somehow looks even more ridiculous with blonde hair. I'm watching the first Battle of the Belts show and he has all the same mannerisms but somehow the blond hair and moustache makes him look crazier.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

MrBling posted:

Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle somehow looks even more ridiculous with blonde hair. I'm watching the first Battle of the Belts show and he has all the same mannerisms but somehow the blond hair and moustache makes him look crazier.

Gives him a televangelist feel

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

He was gone by the end of 2000, so if you liked 2001 that was when Steph was in charge.

Angle might actually be a guy who is a victim of his own talent. Because he was so funny on the mic and being goofy WWE went to that well a lot, maybe at the expense of his ability to draw as a serious character. It doesn't really matter in the long run, but it's funny to think about.

Chris Kreski lost the book in December 2000, but continued working with the company up until 2002. It's conceivable that he still had a hand in Angle's comedy work in 2001.

Looking back at the Kreski era of WWF's programming, it seems pretty clear to me that he laid a lot of the groundwork for the stars the company would have in the next decade. During his booking regime we had "Three I's" Kurt Angle, Edge and Christian as the goofy heels who were buddies with Mick Foley, Jericho's bounce from midcard performer to MOTYC with Triple H, Benoit's run as a stronger archnemesis to The Rock than anyone else for the better part of the year, and Triple H being booked as a more effective "tweener" than anyone I can name in the last ten years, and his successful use of the Hardcore Title and Steve Blackman in a way that elevated the title and Blackman. One of the loudest pops I have ever heard at a wrestling show came from a Too Cool/T&A match this guy booked. Without Kreski's booking, I doubt we would have ever gotten the Kurt Angle we did or Edge as a world champion. The man was a booking god, and I credit that not just to his willingness to follow the McMahon "book like a TV show, not a wrestling show" mandate, but also the fact that he had the experience and resume to do it well.

I am almost 100% certain that Chris Kreski is responsible for my favorite line from any promo ever. From the Angle/Taker promo building up to Fully Loaded 2000: "Undertaker, if that is your real name..."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Claytor posted:

Chris Kreski lost the book in December 2000, but continued working with the company up until 2002.

Huh, I wonder if he was already losing power earlier than that though. The HHH/Stephanie/Kurt love triangle really goes off the rails in the fall, I always thought that was when Stephanie took over. It's like the feud had a clear direction, but fell apart before Kurt won the title at No Mercy.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

triplexpac posted:

Huh, I wonder if he was already losing power earlier than that though. The HHH/Stephanie/Kurt love triangle really goes off the rails in the fall, I always thought that was when Stephanie took over. It's like the feud had a clear direction, but fell apart before Kurt won the title at No Mercy.

That was essentially the point where he was losing his position backstage. According to a number of sources though it wasn't so much Steph who was responsible for that angles shift, but HHH flexing some early political sway. He didn't want to turn babyface which was the natural conclusion to the feud, as he would've been the third face on the totem pole as opposed to being the top heel, and he thought losing his onscreen wife to another wrestler would've killed his character's heat.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah, I can see that being the case. Right now I'm watching the buildup to No Mercy, and HHH is pretty much a face. He just teamed up with Rock to face Kurt & Benoit (a hell of a match, actually).

There is this weird tension in his character though, where he does heel stuff even though he really should be a face at this point the way the story is going. So yeah, I can see there being a conflict behind the scenes that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can't remember if it was from that feud or a later iteration of it, but one of my favorite moments of stupid crowd interjections came from a Triple H/Kurt Angle bit. Kurt was trying to assure Triple H that he and Stephanie were just friends, and Triple H did this big, incredibly unsubtle piece about how effeminate Kurt was and how maybe Kurt was more interested in Triple H himself than Stephanie. Like I said, it wasn't in any way subtle but clearly one member of the audience was really struggling to put the pieces together. After about 5-6 minutes of,"Kurt prefers the company of men. He's a confirmed bachelor. Not that there's anything wrong with that," jokes from Triple H, the lightbulb finally goes off over this guy's head and he screams out gleefully during a quiet patch,":aaa: HE'S A FAG! HE'S A FAAAAAAAG! :lol:"

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
What episodes are "must listens" with Colt Cabana's podcast? So far, I have only listened to the recent episodes with Jake Roberts and New Jack, but I want to know which ones from the back catalogue I should listen to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I remember the Petey Williams one being full of amazing stories about Scott Steiner and how he basically lives his gimmick.

(e): \/\/\/\/

Is that the one with the Power Uti story? Because if that's the case, you need to listen to that one.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Twin Cinema posted:

What episodes are "must listens" with Colt Cabana's podcast? So far, I have only listened to the recent episodes with Jake Roberts and New Jack, but I want to know which ones from the back catalogue I should listen to.

The second Cliff Compton episode is one the funniest things I have ever heard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twin Cinema posted:

The Jimmy Jacobs one is pretty good and so is any with CM. Just avoid the Sheiks episode.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been going through the site downloading any that looked interesting, and I skipped the Sheik's because I have no opinion on the Sheik. I have no opinion about him because I have never understood a complete sentence of his dialogue.

Lita's is pretty good. She has a machete.

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

Is the 2012 TLC show worth a DVD buy? I saw the six man with the Shield vs Ryback and Hell No and loved it, but is the rest of the show worth it?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, it was a pretty all-around good show.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Drake Younger's really surprised me with how good it was. Mostly because Drake comes off as a really great guy who is very honest about the problems that he's had in his past. It's also interesting to see how a guy gets into doing Death Matches and how he ran into Sick Nick Mondo in Japan.

The Dolph Ziggler and Necrobutcher episodes are pretty good as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Q: What the hell was with Nancy Benoit's character being named "Woman?" Was it supposed to be part of Kevin Sullivan's crazy Charles Manson gimmick? When she first joined his Satanic stable she was called Fallen Angel, so I don't get it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been going through the site downloading any that looked interesting, and I skipped the Sheik's because I have no opinion on the Sheik. I have no opinion about him because I have never understood a complete sentence of his dialogue.

Lita's is pretty good. She has a machete.

I never got the Sheik love either when it came to shoot interviews. Yeah, the guy is funny for a sound bite or for a bit when he talks about a wrestler he has a strong opinion about (one way or the other) but I found his shoots to be so incomprehensible they are just boring as a whole.

Edit: I remember one big thing about Chris Kreski was the man was big on continuity. He would actually use storyboards which was a huge change from the crash TV done by Russo a year earlier. Any big twists that happened made sense on some level and nobody really did anything out of character. Hell, even the emergency twist the WWF pulled when Rikishi's heel turn flopped by making Triple H the mastermind of Austin's hit and run made sense because HHH did lead Austin into that parking lot. With continuity, as well, came proper and long-term build with the whole Backlash 2000 build lasting months and absolutely satisfying by the time it was over.

He really is the most underrated man in wrestling.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 7, 2013

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Twin Cinema posted:

Off the top of my head, the Ace Steel, Luke Gallows, Colin Delaney, Sara Del Ray, Beth Phoenix, Briscoes, Daniel Bryan, Tommy Dreamer, and Excalibur episodes are all great. Ricky Reyes was a surprisingly fun interview, too.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I can see that being the case. Right now I'm watching the buildup to No Mercy, and HHH is pretty much a face. He just teamed up with Rock to face Kurt & Benoit (a hell of a match, actually).

There is this weird tension in his character though, where he does heel stuff even though he really should be a face at this point the way the story is going. So yeah, I can see there being a conflict behind the scenes that way.

Around Summer-Fall of 2000, a whole bunch of storylines start to get weird, and they all involve Triple H in some way. There's a hint at a Test push against Triple H based around his bitterness at being left at the altar by Stephanie, and the whole thing seems like it could've built toward a pay-per-view, but instead it gets blown off in a Triple H vs. T&A handicap match the same night. Rikishi seems ready to get pushed as a new top heel in a vaguely believable way, then gets dropped back into the midcard by January in a way that makes Triple H look good. I'm still convinced that Jericho was supposed to go over Triple H at Fully Loaded as well, and then the finish got changed that night. A Fall 2000 Triple H face turn seems to be such a glaringly obvious choice in terms of booking that you can sort of see around the edges where the booking assumes the turn is the case even past the point where it was no longer viable.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
How much do the top stars in Japan make?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

CombineThresher posted:

Off the top of my head, the Ace Steel, Luke Gallows, Colin Delaney, Sara Del Ray, Beth Phoenix, Briscoes, Daniel Bryan, Tommy Dreamer, and Excalibur episodes are all great. Ricky Reyes was a surprisingly fun interview, too.

Also the William Regal 2 parter.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skinty McEdger posted:

That was essentially the point where he was losing his position backstage. According to a number of sources though it wasn't so much Steph who was responsible for that angles shift, but HHH flexing some early political sway. He didn't want to turn babyface which was the natural conclusion to the feud, as he would've been the third face on the totem pole as opposed to being the top heel, and he thought losing his onscreen wife to another wrestler would've killed his character's heat.

He knew he would have post-Wrestlemania to SummerSlam as the top babyface in the company and then The Rock would return. He didn't want to be second fiddle to The Rock. It always eats him up whenever he has to be second fiddle to Dwayne Johnson. Hence why when Rock put over Hurricane, the very next week, Triple H buried him.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Claytor posted:

Around Summer-Fall of 2000, a whole bunch of storylines start to get weird, and they all involve Triple H in some way. There's a hint at a Test push against Triple H based around his bitterness at being left at the altar by Stephanie, and the whole thing seems like it could've built toward a pay-per-view, but instead it gets blown off in a Triple H vs. T&A handicap match the same night. Rikishi seems ready to get pushed as a new top heel in a vaguely believable way, then gets dropped back into the midcard by January in a way that makes Triple H look good. I'm still convinced that Jericho was supposed to go over Triple H at Fully Loaded as well, and then the finish got changed that night. A Fall 2000 Triple H face turn seems to be such a glaringly obvious choice in terms of booking that you can sort of see around the edges where the booking assumes the turn is the case even past the point where it was no longer viable.

Being the fourth biggest face in the company when you can be the number one heel? I'll give you one second to figure out which move's obvious.

The obvious time to turn Triple H face was during the breakup of the two man power trip, which never happened because he blew his quad and half his athletic ability in the best TV match in world history back in '01.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Steen's was good, Pondo's was good, Bull Pain's was seriously weirdly interesting. Punk is always good. Gregory Iron, Karl Anderson, Daniel Bryan, Johnny Saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
William Regal was really good on the Art of Wrestling. I could listen to that man talk for hours.