Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

CNClab 2021 posted:

im taking my first programming class this quarter in c. how lovely can i expect this to be?
fairly

quote:

an irl cs major just said to pay attention when we move into pointers.
basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

CNClab 2021 posted:

im taking my first programming class this quarter in c. how lovely can i expect this to be? an irl cs major just said to pay attention when we move into pointers.

do what i did and never turn up to a single programming class ever

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
p.sure programming lectures only exist for completeness and don't actually teach anyone anything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no they actually do teach stuff, idgi why would you enroll and not try to get your money's worth

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

i don't get much out of lectures usually but that's just me, i get way more out of graded and structured homework than listening to someone talk for an hour and a half. do whatever works for u

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
c is great, you should learn it. then learn python, and how to write python extensions in c

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

no they actually do teach stuff, idgi why would you enroll and not try to get your money's worth

to get a piece of paper required by every employer????????

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
anal volcano take notes

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

because unless your courses have lab components, the only way you are going to learn anything is by physically writing code, and a lecture is not going to teach you how to do that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jerry SanDisky posted:

c is great, you should learn it. then learn python, and how to write python extensions in c

learn python first, c will make you hate computers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
realtalk

gucci void main posted:

because unless your courses have lab components, the only way you are going to learn anything is by physically writing code, and a lecture is not going to teach you how to do that.

gucci void main posted:

gucci void main posted:

gucci void main posted:

gucci void main posted:

gucci void main posted:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

anal volcano take notes

opened this page of the thread in the same minute that you posted this, kind of freaked out right now

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i took college classes for g code which is pretty lol but atleast i can write something any human can read so there is that i guess.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i always tell people you'll learn more in five minutes of programming than five hours of reading blog posts and stack homeworkflow

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
yeah labs are a-okay, go to those

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i didn't say go only to the lectures, god for people who went to college you guys are dumb

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

opened this page of the thread in the same minute that you posted this, kind of freaked out right now

actually it's fate.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

i didn't say go only to the lectures, god for people who went to college you guys are dumb

i'm saying don't go to the lectures because they are wasting ur time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

i'm saying don't go to the lectures because they are wasting ur time

bitch if youre in college, go to class

like you have anything more important to do

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Jerry SanDisky posted:

sometimes i want to learn python extensions but the code looks really awful to write

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i always tell people you'll learn more in five minutes of programming than five hours of reading blog posts and stack homeworkflow

i think that if you legitimately read solutions on SO instead of copying and pasting every solution, there's a good deal to be learned. if anything, it at least helps prove a certain level of resourcefulness which isn't taught in a typical curriculum. you'll more or less have to turn to it or an irc channel at some point in your career if you're even remotely capable/successful, so knowing that those things exist is nice.

blog posts are a different thing entirely and it's funny how many of them HN has, all written by various nobodies who think they've come across something new and incredible for the first time.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i did

it was sit around all day and not go to programming class and get the best grades anyway

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

sometimes i want to learn python extensions but the code looks really awful to write

it is. check out Boost.Python for a slightly saner but still horrible way write native extensions

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

gucci void main posted:

yeah there is a lab and afaik structured homework.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

learn python first, c will make you hate computers

ive been doing python exercises out of a book since break started and some javascript stuff from code academy so i hope it helps but so far it feels like im following instructions instead of learning a toolset. my choices are c or java as far as intro classes go.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

CNClab 2021 posted:

ive been doing python exercises out of a book since break started and some javascript stuff from code academy so i hope it helps but so far it feels like im following instructions instead of learning a toolset. my choices are c or java as far as intro classes go.

i bought effective javascript and it's not bad so far and tells you about everything horrible in the language (aka everything)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tef posted:

that's the problem. it doesn't really have much of a syntax.

Did you just quote larry wall saying that Lisp is ugly?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CNClab 2021 posted:

a friend of mine linked me to http://ruby.bastardsbook.com/toc/ because it has a nice list of projects at the back

so go do some of those projects and report back

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

wow yeah let me bitch about the syntax of a language whose syntax contains literally 11 characters

writing pet languages in a small syntax is a feature *sets building on fire*

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

gucci void main posted:

i bought effective javascript and it's not bad so far and tells you about everything horrible in the language (aka everything)

if you buy this book direct from the publisher and fill out a short survey about your job you get 30% off

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
here have some p langs http://www.pltgames.com/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Toady posted:

writing pet languages in a small syntax is a feature *sets building on fire*

only not

my common lisp experience is both pretty limited and dated, but i have never needed to use a codebase that made extensive use of DSLs

think of graham's "on lisp" like a skateboard video: it's cool to watch, but you never, ever do these things at home. edit: prime example -- the loving nested macros used everywhere

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Macros are ugly as poo poo sorry

Line noise for elitists

macros are one of those hugely abuse-able features that never fail to provoke controversy, kinda like operator overloading or multiple inheritance or duck typing. there are good uses and bad uses and it is left to the developer to puzzle out which is which

having macros does not automatically make the language bad or ugly

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having macros does not automatically make the language bad or ugly

just using them makes the code terrible

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,--that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

on the other hand sometimes you'll learn more from other people's code

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tef posted:

just using them makes the code terrible

what do you think about template haskell

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CNClab 2021 posted:

im taking my first programming class this quarter in c. how lovely can i expect this to be? an irl cs major just said to pay attention when we move into pointers.

the chances are it will be pretty awful, c or not.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

the only entertaining thing about 100/200 level cs courses is watching the class size dwindle down as the semester moves along

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

do lua instead, adding extensions is easy.