Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hoops posted:

No I'm not, that's silly to even think that.

Well it's what you said. Try elaborating on your argument if it's not actually what you meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hoops posted:

No I'm not, that's silly to even think that.
You literally said this:

Hoops posted:

Surely not being interested in X-factor means you're also not interested in who is number 1 in the pop charts?
You obviously missed the implication, but you should probably insert the word "popular" into Flatscan's sentence ending "precludes you from having any interest in music whatsoever?"

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Because they're both musical popularity contests. What do you not like about the X-factor that you do like about the musical charts? I'm responding to the people who say they're apathetic towards the X-factor but really think it's a shame that it gets the christmas number 1. You're invested in the "zeitgeist of musical taste of the general public" (or whatever non-wanker name you can think of for it) or you're not in my opinion.

Having any interest whatsoever in pop music doesn't make you care about the charts, which is the relationship you're claiming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What was even the Christmas number 1 this year?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The Justice Collective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8loYnNlZA

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So aside from Screenwipe what else non Rubbish telly wise this year do we have to look forward too?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

SeanBeansShako posted:

So aside from Screenwipe what else non Rubbish telly wise this year do we have to look forward too?

Hopefully some decent new Jeremy kyle episodes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Supposedly Black Mirror is getting another run this year.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Related to the X-Factor and what not, what always bothered me was how Susan Boyle was treated, everyone just amazed that she could sing, she, SHE, that oh my god a homely looking woman in her 50s can sing quite well isn't it a christmas miracle and true inspiration? No what it is is quite patronizing how little anyone would have cared if she was just one of the beautiful young contestants who can sing and how really the key reason to her popularity and success is just that she doesn't look quite good but can really sing.

As if to say only attractive people can be good at things, why wouldn't a homely woman in her 50s be able to sing well? Why is it any surprise? She should have been treated just the same as any other contestant on the show but instead it's all forced to look like this was an incredibly event.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm looking forward to Blandings, the BBC adaptation of PG Wodehouses' comic novels about Lord Emsworth (and his beloved prize pig, Empress). It'll be nonsense, but hopefully it'll be delightful, frothy nonsense in the style of Jeeves & Wooster, rather than the stodgy, overdone nonsense of Downton Abbey.

BBC4 also tends to have good stuff on. Borgen, the Danish political drama is very fine, as is Inspector Montalbano.

Plus, we get the final season of Luther! Idris Elba, yay!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

piratepilates posted:

Related to the X-Factor and what not, what always bothered me was how Susan Boyle was treated, everyone just amazed that she could sing, she, SHE, that oh my god a homely looking woman in her 50s can sing quite well isn't it a christmas miracle and true inspiration? No what it is is quite patronizing how little anyone would have cared if she was just one of the beautiful young contestants who can sing and how really the key reason to her popularity and success is just that she doesn't look quite good but can really sing.

As if to say only attractive people can be good at things, why wouldn't a homely woman in her 50s be able to sing well? Why is it any surprise? She should have been treated just the same as any other contestant on the show but instead it's all forced to look like this was an incredibly event.

It wasn't just that, it's also the fact she is weird and when weird people come out people are generally expecting an awful performance because that's what they've always been shown

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Isn't there a new series of Bottom in 2013? That could be okay. Plus it's 50 years of Doctor Who so hopefully there'll be a documentary about Sylvester McCoy's wandering hands.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Giedroyc posted:

Isn't there a new series of Bottom in 2013? That could be okay.

They decided it just wasn't working and stopped trying to do it.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Hoops posted:

Someone explain to me what the deal is with the "Christmas number 1"? Surely not being interested in X-factor means you're also not interested in who is number 1 in the pop charts? Honestly, I really need someone to tell me why it's a good thing that RATM got the number 1 instead of the X-factor, or why a foregone conclusion is a bad thing.

Because RATM gave their profits to Shelter and threw a free concert for 50,000 people.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Supposedly Black Mirror is getting another run this year.

Brooker did mention that was going to be a thing on his twitter. Presumably they just couldn't get it done for the pre Xmas slot this year though, given how depressing (not bad, just horribly depressing) the last three were, that would probably be something of a blessing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Brooker did mention that was going to be a thing on his twitter. Presumably they just couldn't get it done for the pre Xmas slot this year though, given how depressing (not bad, just horribly depressing) the last three were, that would probably be something of a blessing.

He also said 'see you in a few weeks' at the end of screen wipe, so something is definitely happening.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

He also said 'see you in a few weeks' at the end of screen wipe, so something is definitely happening.

I thought that was in reference to whatever the next 'wipe thing is.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He tweeted earlier today that it's going to be "Weekly Wipe" encompassing Gameswipe, Newswipe and Screenwipe.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Fungah posted:

Because RATM gave their profits to Shelter and threw a free concert for 50,000 people.
That's nothing to do with why the campaign started in the first place though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

He tweeted earlier today that it's going to be "Weekly Wipe" encompassing Gameswipe, Newswipe and Screenwipe.

Bit more on it here

quote:

Good news for anyone who’s been missing Charlie Brooker’s acerbic and insightful Wipe programmes – the Guardian columnist is to front a new BBC comedy show called Weekly Wipe with Charlie Brooker.

In the new series, which will launch on BBC2 in 2013, Brooker will be scrutinising newspaper headlines, TV shows, adverts, films, books, video games, social media trends and YouTube phenomena.

As in Screenwipe and Newswipe, Brooker will be joined in each episode of Weekly Wipe by celebrity guests and US comedian Doug Stanhope will also be on hand with regular contributions throughout the run.

Brooker said: "Every week we'll be looking at TV, games, 'things in the ether', the online world, and anything and everything in between. And if we need to pad the show out a bit, we'll probably review egg whisks too."

The six-part series will be preceded by Brooker’s now-traditional end-of-year Wipe special, in which he’ll explore key events from the last year including the London Olympics, the US election, the Diamond Jubilee and Hurricane Sandy.

Newswipe won the British Comedy Award for best entertainment programme in 2010, and last year's special, 2011 Wipe, earned Brooker and his producers a Bafta nomination.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Aw, gently caress OFF, Stanhope.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was more annoyed by the phrase "celebrity guests" than Stanhope. Stanhope is a libertarian gobshite, but hes good value on the Wipe shows. I'll just avoid the episode that Jack Whitehall inevitably appears on.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Leon with a Zero posted:

For someone who is incredibly nuanced in television production what you are saying here is absolute rubbish.

I concede I must've misremembered the alcohol part, but the winding up has definitely been reported on:

quote:

‘The show encourages guests into unnatural, emotionally charged confrontations, lights the touchpaper and then retires to a safe and judgmental distance,’ says former producer Charlotte Scott.

‘Guests are wound up like a coiled spring. It is an integral part of preparations - a process, sanctioned by the show’s editors, called “talking up”. The whole show is designed to produce a gladiatorial-style exchange.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...l#ixzz2HEgXIfk6

or

quote:

Andi remembers: "When we got there, they kept calling both of us. Chris was up until two or three o'clock in the morning, talking to them."

I heard this from everyone I spoke to, bar one: they keep the families technically together, but functionally apart, with a researcher assigned to each, seemingly with the brief of winding them up (they weren't talking to them about current affairs, put it that way).

The next day, they were taken to the studio and put in separate rooms, where they say the baiting continued until it was time to go on. Chris says, "They kept coming in and saying, 'Your mum said this about you. Your mum said you were a dirty crackhead.' Some of the stuff they told me, I thought, 'My mum doesn't even talk like that, my mum would never say that.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/22/life-after-jeremy-kyle-treatment

So not absolute rubbish.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Brookerwipe? Everythingwipe? Wipewipewipe? Mediawipe?

Might be time for a new name perhaps.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Shame it's only six episodes, seems like the kind of thing that could have gone on longer. Looking forward to it, though. Wouldn't be too worried about the celebrity guests, either. I'd assume they'll be the same as before, with small segments of the likes of Richard Herring talking about Big Cook, Little Cook. They don't add much, but they're short. Lets just hope Grace Dent isn't on it thinking she's funny.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mickolution posted:

Shame it's only six episodes, seems like the kind of thing that could have gone on longer.
Oh you just loving know that there's a third series of 10 O'Clock Live out in the ether somewhere, waiting.

You don't want to believe it, but you know.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently a revival of Yes, Minister is happening on Gold sometime this month.

It'll be interesting to compare it to the original, at least.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
The talk of X-Factor has reminded me how much I (guiltily?) enjoy Total Wipeout. It helps that it's on before Doctor Who, and it's utterly mindless, but it's a kind of willing, joyful mindlessness.

X-Factor contestants are led to believe they are going to be the ~best~popstar~eva~ and more often than not they're actually there for us audience harpies to ridicule and laugh at.

On the other hand, Total Wipeout contestants go into it knowing they are going to be hit by foam bats into water, and the audience are there to watch them be hit by foam bats into water.

Unlike other shows where unwilling people get pranked or ridiculed, the fact that they've signed up for it understanding exactly what's going to happen to them just makes it so enjoyable when someone gets caught mid-jump with a clothesline from a spinning foam bat and tumbles confused into the pool.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Whats this new show that looks interesting coming soon on Channel 4, that features Curtis from Misfits?

Caught a trailer for it and looked cool but I cant seem to even find the info for the name of the show - its not listed on his IMDB either

Edit : found it

Utopia

quote:

Conspiracy theory turned terrifyingly real is the subject of a brand-new six-part drama series (6 x 60'), Utopia, written by Dennis Kelly, the co-creator of the Olivier-Award-winning Matilda, and greenlit by Chief Creative Officer Jay Hunt.

When a small group of people find themselves in possession of a manuscript of cult graphic novel Utopia, their lives are knocked out of kilter by explosive events. Targeted by a shadowy organisation known only as The Network, they are left with one option if they want to survive: they have to run.

Rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century, Utopia is legendary. Dismissed by most, idolised by few, only one thing seems certain: come into contact with it, and you won't be safe for long.

Never able to return home, our characters' lives are immediately transformed. Unable to contact anyone on the outside, they live in constant fear of discovery - even though they have no idea why they are being pursued. All they know is that The Network is all-pervasive; in government, in business and in charge. Nobody knows what their plan is, only that they will stop at nothing.

Jay Hunt says: "Utopia is everything you expect from a Channel 4 drama - witty, utterly compelling and impossible to ignore - and I'm delighted that as part of our increased commitment to new drama on the channel, we're working with one of the UK's leading writing talents, Dennis Kelly."

Written by Dennis Kelly (Matilda, Spooks) and directed by Marc Munden (The Mark of Cain, The Crimson Petal and the White), Utopia will be produced by Kudos Film & TV for Channel 4. The producer is Rebekah Wray-Rogers (This is England '88) and executive producers are Karen Wilson (Hustle, Spooks), Jane Featherstone (Spooks, Life on Mars, The Hour) and Dennis Kelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EaP3cH9d-I

The Big Taff Man fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 7, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

In a post-TToI world, it's just going to look a bit naff, isn't it.

EddieDean posted:

The talk of X-Factor has reminded me how much I (guiltily?) enjoy Total Wipeout. It helps that it's on before Doctor Who, and it's utterly mindless, but it's a kind of willing, joyful mindlessness.

X-Factor contestants are led to believe they are going to be the ~best~popstar~eva~ and more often than not they're actually there for us audience harpies to ridicule and laugh at.

On the other hand, Total Wipeout contestants go into it knowing they are going to be hit by foam bats into water, and the audience are there to watch them be hit by foam bats into water.

Unlike other shows where unwilling people get pranked or ridiculed, the fact that they've signed up for it understanding exactly what's going to happen to them just makes it so enjoyable when someone gets caught mid-jump with a clothesline from a spinning foam bat and tumbles confused into the pool.

Unironically love Total Wipeout. It's perfect Saturday dinnertime TV. And as you said, you don't even feel the guilt that they might have been coerced by production into thinking they're amazing. They've entered knowing they're probably going to be launched 10 feet in the air off a giant foam ball over a swimming pool. It's basically a modern It's A Knockout, and if Saturday primetime BBC needs anything, it's that :allears:

Taff posted:

Whats this new show that looks interesting coming soon on Channel 4, that features Curtis from Misfits?

Caught a trailer for it and looked cool but I cant seem to even find the info for the name of the show - its not listed on his IMDB either

This looks pretty decent actually. Will attempt to watch.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Hoops posted:

That's nothing to do with why the campaign started in the first place though.

Hoops posted:

Honestly, I really need someone to tell me why it's a good thing that RATM got the number 1 instead of the X-factor

I answered your question.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

VogeGandire posted:

In a post-TToI world, it's just going to look a bit naff, isn't it.

Doesn't have to. I mean it could be a slightly slower paced look at the civil service which is a slightly slower paced world than high politics. TToI is different from Yes, minister in that Yes, Minister is less about buffoons elevated to positions of power, more about the issues with power making buffoons out of intelligent people. Circumstance that exists 'just because' vs. circumstance created by the incompetence of the people in the situation.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Some Strange Flea posted:

Oh you just loving know that there's a third series of 10 O'Clock Live out in the ether somewhere, waiting.

You don't want to believe it, but you know.

I know...I know.

Luckily, I turned 10 O'Clock Live off after the first 15mins of the first episode and aside from catching a few minutes to see if it had improved (it hadn't), I haven't looked back since. It's a terrible idea for a show, executed terribly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you want an interesting odd out of the blue gem on iPlayer, check out the Fifties British War films documentary on iPlayer.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you want an interesting odd out of the blue gem on iPlayer, check out the Fifties British War films documentary on iPlayer.

The current documentary with Mark Urban on 5 RTR is pretty good, might be biased as i'm 2 RTR.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Taff posted:

Utopia

This looks very cool. I recognised Curtis from off of Misfits, Jamie from out of Thick of It, one of the blokes from Four Lions and Tyres from Spaced, and a few other familiar faces. Sounds very intriguing and early reviews say it's got that typical dark Misfits/Being Human type vibe with black humour.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Stargazing Live starts now! What are you doing? Go watch it!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh Dara, don't use your head to try and break the ESA test rover :ohdear:

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

Pesky Splinter posted:

If it's anything like the stage show they did last year it will be appallingly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Domalom posted:

If it's anything like the stage show they did last year it will be appallingly poo poo.

The trailer made it look utterly horrible. I imagine it'll murder the show through any or all of: bad acting, bad writing and exposing the (pretty awful) ideology of the writers that ran through the show a bit too much (...like with the later series of 24.)