Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm sure this is old news, but apparently Sentinel Mastery is also affected by bonus healing and is generally really broken if you go out of your way to abuse it. I've hit the point where I'm hardly healing on my heavy-support char because all I have to do is mash the Shadow Blast button and the entire team gets 5% of their max health back every second from JUST that, and it's completely aggro-free because it attributes the mob as the source.

Okay, that there is a good find. That's going to make playing my passive-team-regeneration support character a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Looking for some build advice. Current build is here.

The build is a crit based tank. Crits provide health returns via Adrenaline Rush and energy returns via Form of the Tempest. Basic gameplay is to tap Frost Breath the put chill on the target and then tap spam Ice Blast for Hard Frost until it's dead.

I have three remaining power choices, and I'm not really sure what to do with them.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I came up with this.

Some small notes: The use of Form of the Tempest is a little odd: True, it scales quite well with your superstats and can be triggered via frequent criticals, but its damage boost to ranged attacks is only half that of Concentration. You might want to see how to reconfigure the build to use Int or Ego to use this form instead, as it melds much better with ranged attacks.

You might want to replace Telekinetic shield with Force shield + force sheath; this generates a lot of energy whenever you are hit, and provides roughly the same amount of protection.

You'll see I reallocated some of the advantage points on your attacks - Avalanche in general is going to be your most powerful attack period, so I poured a lot of points into using that. On the other hand, ice breath is mostly useful just for a wide-hitting chill application.

The last three moves I filled the build in with are Evasive maneuvers, increasing your dodge chance, fire snake (oddly enough), wearing down enemy elemental damage offense (Ice/Fire/Toxic damage types), and resurgence, the only active offense that can crit in itself.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
You just linked to the original spec there, Bluhman. :v:

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
The tool tip on Concentration says it builds stacks of Focus on maintains/charges. Since I tap spam Frost Bolt, I didn't think Concentration would work very well. I'll pick it up and give it a try in the Power House.

If I switch out Recovery, it would have to be for Intelligence. Ice doesn't have an energy return in the set, and the build doesn't really play well with any of the energy return powers. Bountiful Chi Replenishment is really my only ability with a cool down, but Molecular Self Assembly is still best energy return that I could find.

Swapping out Telekinetic Shield for Force Shield is a good idea. Do you know if it also returns energy during the Force Sheathe portion, or just while you're actually blocking?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bluhman posted:

Okay, that there is a good find. That's going to make playing my passive-team-regeneration support character a lot easier.
Bonus points: Shadow Blast is even better for spamming it than I originally realized because not only is it ranged and does a lot more damage than Crashing Wave Kick or Brute Strike, but the DOT ticks every second and will proc Sentinel Mastery on every tick so you'll almost as many procs out of it as it's possible to get, even if you're charging or not attacking. :v:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 31, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Filthy Lucre posted:

The tool tip on Concentration says it builds stacks of Focus on maintains/charges. Since I tap spam Frost Bolt, I didn't think Concentration would work very well. I'll pick it up and give it a try in the Power House.

If I switch out Recovery, it would have to be for Intelligence. Ice doesn't have an energy return in the set, and the build doesn't really play well with any of the energy return powers. Bountiful Chi Replenishment is really my only ability with a cool down, but Molecular Self Assembly is still best energy return that I could find.

Swapping out Telekinetic Shield for Force Shield is a good idea. Do you know if it also returns energy during the Force Sheathe portion, or just while you're actually blocking?

Sheath, that's what makes it so good.

And Concentration also goes off when you hit a target from 25 yards away or more.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Cuchulain posted:

Sheath, that's what makes it so good.

And Concentration also goes off when you hit a target from 25 yards away or more.

Should be noted, I'm pretty sure concentration doesn't proc off energy builder hits at any range.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Subtlety hits a new low:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OneEightHundred posted:

Subtlety hits a new low:

Holy poo poo, that's the funniest thing I've seen all day. :golfclap:

Does anybody know what determines how long a particular alert is available for? The nemesis alerts seem to last a long time, but not always. Is there some algorithm that determines it, or is it just random?

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

OneEightHundred posted:

Bonus points: Shadow Blast is even better for spamming it than I originally realized because not only is it ranged and does a lot more damage than Crashing Wave Kick or Brute Strike, but the DOT ticks every second and will proc Sentinel Mastery on every tick so you'll almost as many procs out of it as it's possible to get, even if you're charging or not attacking. :v:

I also discovered that if you're standing in Circle of Ebon Wrath, every attack you make can proc stacks of Compassion. Must be the -heal component of the Circle. I'll try the Shadow Blast on my passive healer, since I need to respec her AGAIN because Devour Essence is getting semi-nerfed (it's being turned into a ranged attack with a 20' range) so no more goofy melee hijinks with it :smith:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I really hope some new content hits soon. I haven't logged any hours in months because who cares about a loving snow tank. :colbert:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Mewnie posted:

Devour Essence is getting semi-nerfed (it's being turned into a ranged attack with a 20' range) so no more goofy melee hijinks with it :smith:
How's that a nerf?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

How's that a nerf?

It's a nerf to people who had it in melee builds, as anything that buffs melee specifically (strength, all melee passives) will no longer affect it. For a purely infernal character though it's a buff, as it'll no longer be the only attack in the sec unaffected by ego and getting a smaller buff from aspect of the infernal.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I just have to say: I get some fuckin weird tells.

Shortly after talking a couple of times in Zone during Champions' Anniversary. Remember kids: keep zone chat off.
Or better yet, do not design characters like I do, ironically or not. :v:

During waiting in line during a Costume Contest. At first, the person apologized about apparently creeping out, and I was like "ok thanks".

But then it gets better: I host a Supergroup Costume Contest. Player asks me if I'm the same person they complimented last time, to which I say yes, and they attend. Following the end of the contest (in which they don't win), they send me a tell criticizing me for picking a full grown woman for the "Cute" category, when the category in question was "Sexy". Bottom line is that they say that I suck, and I have a few regrets and self-doubts about my taste in outfits... before realizing it's the same person who gave me this weird compliment.

VVV Lady Anubis can actually be seen in this outdated power guide under the Darkness category.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lady Anubis is a jet black female character with Egyptian themed gear and a jackal head, in case anyone doesn't know how weird that makes that guy.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I'm level 40 with my Ice Tank and I'm working on getting the Silver Champion equipment. What's the cheapest way to get a respec so I can redo my power choices so I can swap things like TK Shield for Force Shield?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Filthy Lucre posted:

I'm level 40 with my Ice Tank and I'm working on getting the Silver Champion equipment. What's the cheapest way to get a respec so I can redo my power choices so I can swap things like TK Shield for Force Shield?
There are only really two options: Either burn a retcon token, which you can do once for free at 40 but otherwise need to spend Zen to get, or mass undo at the Powerhouse.

One thing to consider if you're going to do either is that you should probably order your skills so that the ones you're least sure about are last, since they're the cheapest to respec.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Someone look at this and talk to me about it. Dust Devils is there for flavor and sorta synergy with Ball Lightning, Force Eruption is also there for flavor/hilarious burst.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

First, you'll want to set some advantage points aside for your travel powers. Usually you'll only need to get them up to rank 2 for them to really be useful for transportation. I'd strongly recommend removing the increased ranks from Concentration - It's one of the easiest forms to stack and maintain, and you'll easily reach its maximum potential without that much fighting time.

Ball Lightning with Triplicity, combined with Ionic Reverb, is usually enough to generate enough energy for every attack in your repertoire. Yes, even Force Cascade; especially because this fact is also combined with your increased ranged attack efficiency from the Ego spec tree, AND you also have access to force shield's sheath. That all said, I'd wager that you probably don't need Circle of Arcane Power on this build. If you really want a magical ring, I'd strongly suggest checking out Primal Dominion for greatly increased defense and Knock resistance, or Ebon Destruction for decreased threat generation and increased damage.

Power positioning's a bit odd: The very vital heal of Conviction is positioned at level 32? Usually (and especially on DPS type characters) self heals like that will come somewhere between levels 15-25. Could probably do to move Field Surge and Electric Sheath later into the build.

Last thing is a quirk with Force Cascade: It will reduce its energy usage automatically with any fire by consuming all energy forms you're using. This includes not only a potential Circle of Arcane Power, but also your passive. This is part of the reason why it pretty much is only worth using with the Quarry passive, as its usage will not disable your main damage booster, and with the advent of a huge number of specializations to facilitate energy management, it can still be used rapidly without much energy difficulty. If you want a big blast that can be used repeatedly, I'd recommend Typhoon or Gigabolt. Probably the former, since it really does look like you're shooting a gigantic ghost/spirit and that it can synnergize with electricity a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New crap time.

They're kicking off an invasion event of some sort over the next 2 months. Not a lot of details right now.

What we do know is that starting next week they're giving free costume pieces to everyone who logs in.

quote:

Planned to start 1/11, everyone who plays can get free costume pieces. This will certainly include a helmet, possibly a robe – brand-new, totally free, and available for that weekend. Stay tuned for more details, plus screenshots!

At the same time, they're also adding a lockbox that drops the Grav Bike vehicles.

The wording is not clear, but there might also be a new mission. The event is supposed to unfold with mission updates every 2 weeks over the 2 month period, culminating in an alert showdown.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
I wish they'd start adding actual content that sticks around permanently instead of all these little events that happen for a month then disappear entirely.

Also I wonder what else that lockbox will drop. The tako boxes had normal mods and the hover tank boxes have vehicle mods, what's this one going to be?

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing says this content is disappearing, though the alert will probably go into rotation.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Time will tell, I suppose.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Strongly considering a lifetime sub, which should pay for itself within 1.5-2 years depending how you look at it. Worth it?

E: vvvvvvv Sensible, though as far as I can remember those sales are pretty few and far between

tomanton fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can you still get cheap sub cards on Amazon? I'd go with those as long as possible and see if they put the lifetime on sale.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

e: Nevermind, made a mistake.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bluhman posted:

First, you'll want to set some advantage points aside for your travel powers. Usually you'll only need to get them up to rank 2 for them to really be useful for transportation. I'd strongly recommend removing the increased ranks from Concentration - It's one of the easiest forms to stack and maintain, and you'll easily reach its maximum potential without that much fighting time.

Ball Lightning with Triplicity, combined with Ionic Reverb, is usually enough to generate enough energy for every attack in your repertoire. Yes, even Force Cascade; especially because this fact is also combined with your increased ranged attack efficiency from the Ego spec tree, AND you also have access to force shield's sheath. That all said, I'd wager that you probably don't need Circle of Arcane Power on this build. If you really want a magical ring, I'd strongly suggest checking out Primal Dominion for greatly increased defense and Knock resistance, or Ebon Destruction for decreased threat generation and increased damage.

Power positioning's a bit odd: The very vital heal of Conviction is positioned at level 32? Usually (and especially on DPS type characters) self heals like that will come somewhere between levels 15-25. Could probably do to move Field Surge and Electric Sheath later into the build.

Last thing is a quirk with Force Cascade: It will reduce its energy usage automatically with any fire by consuming all energy forms you're using. This includes not only a potential Circle of Arcane Power, but also your passive. This is part of the reason why it pretty much is only worth using with the Quarry passive, as its usage will not disable your main damage booster, and with the advent of a huge number of specializations to facilitate energy management, it can still be used rapidly without much energy difficulty. If you want a big blast that can be used repeatedly, I'd recommend Typhoon or Gigabolt. Probably the former, since it really does look like you're shooting a gigantic ghost/spirit and that it can synnergize with electricity a bit.

I'm not worried about the order of the powers, the character in question is already 35. :v:

And yeah, I know all about Force Cascade being ridiculous and shutting everything down, that's what prompted me to make this new spec in the first place! I'll probably just replace it with Typhoon. I'm still currently finding myself wheezing for energy without using my energy builder, which is why I went for CoAP, but I guess I'll just learn to deal with needing to auto attack once every few Lightning Arcs. :v:

Are the advantage points in Concentration not worth it at least for the %damage increase?

Barring any other answers, it looks like it boils down to switching CoAP for CoED, Force Cascade for Typhoon, and points out of Concentration into other stuff?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Ranking up forms only increases the number of stacks you passively rest at. 3rd rank concentration just means that you can have up to 3 stacks of the buff on yourself while not doing anything; your maximal potential for damage does not increase.

This is true for all forms, save for Mental Discipline (which is incredibly weak by the current standards) and IDF (which also is weak; how about that.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mental Discipline is used for the crit, not the damage.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bluhman posted:

Ranking up forms only increases the number of stacks you passively rest at. 3rd rank concentration just means that you can have up to 3 stacks of the buff on yourself while not doing anything; your maximal potential for damage does not increase.

This is true for all forms, save for Mental Discipline (which is incredibly weak by the current standards) and IDF (which also is weak; how about that.)

Huh, I could've sworn the tooltip for the extra ranks stated different numbers. Probably just another example of the game outright lying about it's numbers! Thanks for the advice Bluhman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

Huh, I could've sworn the tooltip for the extra ranks stated different numbers. Probably just another example of the game outright lying about it's numbers! Thanks for the advice Bluhman.

...No you're just completely wrong is all.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Cuchulain posted:

They give a higher percentage of building extra stacks when you cause it to stack. It's never really worth it unless you have points you really don't feel inclined to spend somewhere else.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Out of curiosity, for flavour purposes is there a good build out there that uses an even number of all the elemental skill trees? (wind, fire, ice, earth)I've always been weary of poking around too many things in the fear of ultimately gimping myself in some way.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

raocow posted:

Out of curiosity, for flavour purposes is there a good build out there that uses an even number of all the elemental skill trees? (wind, fire, ice, earth)I've always been weary of poking around too many things in the fear of ultimately gimping myself in some way.
Probably the best thing to do would be get Energy Surge before they nerf it and spam Flashfire, Dust Devil, Ball Lightning, and Fissure. After they nerf it, you might still be able to do that, but you'll have to find a way to manage the huge energy cost (i.e. Molecular Self-Assembly, Defiance, AoPM).

Ice is hard to cherry-pick skills out of, Ice Blast might be good if Hard Frost works with the tap but I'm not sure if it does or not.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 7, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

...No you're just completely wrong is all.

I'll be damned, I am wrong. I could have sworn the tooltip increased it's % the last time I was using it, but apparently not.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

raocow posted:

Here's a build that uses a combination of Fire and Ice. This is usually one of the easiest combos to do, as fire can be utilized by ice to decrease enemy defenses to elemental damage (not just fire, but also toxic and ice types), and can also provide a good amount of energy to keep attacks rolling.

Note that some of this build is made for flavor/playstyle testing. I'd recommend switching around a few powers; mainly changing Shatter for Avalanche for quicker and higher damage.

EDIT:

OneEightHundred posted:

Ice is hard to cherry-pick skills out of, Ice Blast might be good if Hard Frost works with the tap but I'm not sure if it does or not.

Ice Blast tapped with Hard Frost hits like Assault Rifle. It's probably the best single-target tactic that Ice gets.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 8, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also a lot of fire effects and ice effects use opposite hands animation wise so it just looks cooler.

The other 2 original elemental types aren't compatible with Fire and Ice, or even each other.

Wind is compatible with lightning and ice through its own passive.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't have a lot of work to look forward to this month and I'm bored to tears; so bored that I'm thinking of re-subbing to this game. Can someone sum up the more notorious new stuff since, well, a long time ago? Have there been any new skill trees and the like?

edit: according to my posting in this thread, I haven't played for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Aphrodite posted:

Also a lot of fire effects and ice effects use opposite hands animation wise so it just looks cooler.

The other 2 original elemental types aren't compatible with Fire and Ice, or even each other.

Wind is compatible with lightning and ice through its own passive.

Are there any left-hand only fire attacks? Or are they right only?

Wondering about this, as I got the Warlord Bracer and sadly, on male characters, it only works on the left arm and I want to have a flamethrower-like attack.