Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Do people do the Monsters vs Players thing on Silverlode? Because last time I played that poo poo was loads of fuckin' fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
About to log in, playing as Rumpbuns. Up to level 28 on my own but feel like having people to talk to. 8)

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Yep, just throw them away. Or try and sell em on the AH maybe, you might find someone dumb enough to buy them.

Well, the lower level loot boxes have a chance to drop Tome of Stat (level) like Tome of Vitality 1. The Tome of Vitality goes for 200ish on Brandywine. It's a lower chance, though.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Just stick it in storage and wait for a key to drop. Yeah, there's an tiny chance you'll get something good, but they usually contain utter poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tsurupettan posted:

Do people do the Monsters vs Players thing on Silverlode? Because last time I played that poo poo was loads of fuckin' fun.

What exactly is this Monster Play thing anyway? Is it LOTRO's PVP element?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Brave New World posted:

Just stick it in storage and wait for a key to drop. Yeah, there's an tiny chance you'll get something good, but they usually contain utter poo poo.

Well in my case I have like 6 Barrow-Ironbound lootboxes, 4 Bronze-bound, a Gold-bound, and I'm sitting on a single Steel Key. I could sell the key for a guaranteed 10 gold, but since I really don't need the money I'm just torn between gambling on one of these lower level ones and saving it for a higher level lootbox down the road. My bank alt has room for now but at some point I'm going to have to stop growing this lootbox hoard.

e; Wow I just used one of those "Enhanced XP Supply" tokens and got a whopping fifth of a level of rested bonus. If I'd payed them 75 TP for this I'd be pissed.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 7, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

e; Wow I just used one of those "Enhanced XP Supply" tokens and got a whopping fifth of a level of rested bonus. If I'd payed them 75 TP for this I'd be pissed.

Yeah, it's the same as the enhanced xp perk I think. The double exp scrolls are nice though, I stocked up on a bunch during the last sale. Great for getting through the 40s without shooting yourself.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I've liked boxes ever since I got a permanent +10 Might item from one. Too bad it wasn't for Will or Fate...

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Rarity posted:

Yes. There's a map that's always open where it's player characters versus player monster characters and you can be a warg/spider/orc of some sort.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah, it's the same as the enhanced xp perk I think. The double exp scrolls are nice though, I stocked up on a bunch during the last sale. Great for getting through the 40s without shooting yourself.

I used those on my burglar to get 3 levels in a day in my 70s. The downside (if you can consider it that) is I'm overleveled for Rohan content a bit and will probably hit 85 before doing much in the Sutcrofts.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Posting for kin invite. I'm Zarthelion in-game.

Sorted, thanks!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 7, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Really tempted to try this out... how does it compare to SWTOR, which is the only other MMO I've played? I had fun with that for the storyline stuff.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Apples and oranges. LOTRO is a good MMO for people who are at least as interested in story, immersion and an enjoyable fantasy atmosphere as they are in hitting buttons to play a video game. SWTOR on the other hand is the stinking, rotting poo poo shamefully abandoned in a corner by anonymous programmers.

Seriously though last time I saw SWTOR it was pretty, and the combat was probably more action packed than LOTRO. Still, everything I found lacking in that game is done properly in this one; this is the game for people who don't like the direction more gamer-oriented MMO's took.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 7, 2013

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Remy Marathe posted:

Apples and oranges. LOTRO is a good MMO for people who are at least as interested in story, immersion and an enjoyable fantasy atmosphere as they are in hitting buttons to play a video game. SWTOR on the other hand is the stinking, rotting poo poo shamefully abandoned in a corner by anonymous programmers.

Seriously though last time I saw SWTOR it was pretty, and the combat was probably more action packed than LOTRO. Still, everything I found lacking in that game is done properly in this one; this is the game for people who don't like the direction more gamer-oriented MMO's took.

And as far as f2p goes, it's like going from famine to feast with the differences of what basic gameplay you have available. You have access to all available classes except two that you can get with an expansion pack, content's substantial even without buying questpacks, and even then each one is pretty packed for value. From my own just halfassing around, I've earned a decent amount of funbux from just questing around and hitting deed marks, and the sales they have in the store/market on extras so far have been a good value in my opinion. As it is, I'm enjoying myself enough that I wish I started playing this game sooner.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Tsurupettan posted:

Currently, I think only Quin and I play much in the Moors. The Moors have been pretty dead since the patch but they'll pick up whenever people get tired of farming Durchest.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Rarity posted:

You can roll up a monster character to tool around in the Moors with and kill freeps (Free Peoples - players). I'd say most of the serious PVPs have a monster character they flip to when things get uneven. However, many of them play their monster characters first (since you don't have to level them, you can jump straight into level 85 PVP). One of the wargs who's often around only has like a 40 something freep.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

CheeseSpawn posted:

Wardens have never really sucked except briefly maybe after RoI. They could always solo the best and be great tanks. Their issue is about complexity. Do you want to remember x gambits and y ways of how to get there with masteries? Do you like to have a move flowchart nearby in case you forgot what gambit did x in y stance? You could just as easily roll a guard and achieve the same results while probably be drunk half the time. Plus if you ever wanted to just use a 2hander, it's not an option on a warden.

Granted there are great warden players out there but the amount of dedication to be the at that level is set pretty high.

It's not just about remembering gambits.

I'd say it's MORE about being able to predict when and where you'll need those gambits. Want to use a 5 gambit chain heal? You better have it done or almost done when you need it, or you'll be dead by the time you string those abilities together. Want to get off a huge aggro grabbing ability to prevent that mob from flattening a hunter? Same deal. If you can't anticipate when you'll need things ahead of time, warden is a bad class. It's probably one of the more interesting classes in an MMO I've seen.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Beach Party posted:

Thanks for this and also the others that posted there keybinds. Would you say that captains are pretty sought out for groups in the higher levels? I love grouping and would prefer that over solo play anyday so i thought captain would be good for that, but i have yet to find any groups at all. I guess thats mostly because this is a older game so most people are at level cap, but i would hate to get there and find out that captains are just kind of filler if a group is looking for another body. In your experience would you say that captains are kind of late bloomers in terms of overall power? Right now i feel my guardian blows the captain away in every category from dps to survivabilty, i can keep grinding on my guardian but feel like i always need to stop and regain power with the cappy. Maybe im just playing him wrong which is a real possibility lol.

Captains are very in-demand for groups. There are a few things that will make it a lot easier to start working on as you get toward 85 if you enjoy grouping.

1) Make a buff stick with extra morale from motivating and +parry / +crit buff legacies.
2) It sucks doing it if you don't like PVP, but it's WELL worth getting the 3 piece PVP set. With the rallying cry legacy on your class item, you can get the cooldown for RC down to 6 seconds.
3) Get good at toggling between 1h/shield and 2h - captains are a healing/tanking hybrid and have the ability to take hits when necessary, even in a heal spec. (In tank spec with tank gear, I run around 20k hp, 70% physical mitigation and 40% BPE - I can tank most raid level stuff at this point).

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Beach Party posted:

Wouldn't happen to have a captain that you could post a screenshot of the keybinds you use? Im having trouble coming up with something that is intuitive and not just random skills everywhere on my skill bars.

I don't have a screenshot, but here's what I use. The trick for me is to have two rows of hotkeys (number keys and a bunch of binds around my movement keys - I use asdf instead of wasd because it feels better for me).

When I change what I'm doing in the game, rather than clicking, I keep the backup skills I need very close to where the skills they're replacing are on the keymap. I then just swap their positions on the keymap and continue to use my hotkeys. For instance, when I start tanking, I drag noble mark down to the #1 bound key).

Bottom Bar

1 -> currently active mark (usually revealing)
2 -> Battle-Shout
3 -> Pressing Attack (PvE) / Devastating Blow (PvP)
4 -> Blade of Elendil
5 -> Sure Strike (Healing/DPS) / Routing Cry (Tanking)
6 -> Defensive Strike
7 -> Cutting Attack
8 -> Grave Wound
9 -> Valiant Strike
0 -> Inspire
- -> To Arms
= -> Shadow's Lament (Rarely use it, except when tanking, so it stays at the end)

Second Bar (Swappable Skills - lined up to swap into slots as I need them)
-> Second Mark (Usually Telling)
-> War-Cry
-> Devastating Blow (PvE) / Pressing Attack (PvP)
->
-> Routing Cry (Healing/DPS) / Sure Strike (Tanking)
->
->
->
->
-> Song Brother
-> Shield Brother
-> Blade Brother

Third Bar (Swappable Skills - lined up to swap into slots as I need them)
-> Third Mark (Usually Noble)
-> Fighting Withdraw
->
->
->
->
->
->
-> Banner #2 (War/Hope usually)
-> Banner #3 (Victory usually)
->
-> Mount I am not using (either goat or war steed)

Fourth Bar (Keybinds)
q -> Kick (For interrupts)
w -> Muster Courage (Fear remove / self heal)
e -> Words of Courage
r -> Rallying Cry
t -> Threatening Shout
g -> Last Stand
h -> In Harm's Way
z -> Time of Need
x -> Banner currently used (Usually hope in a group, war solo)
v -> Strength of Will
->
y -> Mount currently used (Either goat or war steed)

Top Bar (Resses / Sprint / Potions for easy access)
-> Inspiriting Call
-> Escape from Darkness
-> Cry of Vengeance
-> Make Haste
->
-> Restoration Pot
-> Poison Pot
-> Fear Pot
-> Wound Pot
-> Battle Tonic
-> Power Pot
-> Healing Pot

dug fin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 7, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Will I ever be able to access my currency overflow without subscribing? Sold a key and the cap stole half of it.

Spent the rest on planks (still don't have enough).

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
You can raise it via store purchases, too. 395 I think.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 7, 2013

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

sassassin posted:

Will I ever be able to access my currency overflow without subscribing? Sold a key and the cap stole half of it.

Spent the rest on planks (still don't have enough).

Even if you don't subscribe (and it's worth it to subscribe for a month once you've made all the characters you want; subscribing once permanently unlocks a bunch of things for existing characters), at least spend $8 for the lowest-tier TP package. Plonking down actual money for the game, whether buying TP or subscribing, gets you a number of benefits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hello Sailor posted:

Even if you don't subscribe (and it's worth it to subscribe for a month once you've made all the characters you want; subscribing once permanently unlocks a bunch of things for existing characters), at least spend $8 for the lowest-tier TP package. Plonking down actual money for the game, whether buying TP or subscribing, gets you a number of benefits.

I've spent like £30 on the game so far.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Anyone know why the LOTRO lottery site signs me out almost daily even though I click the 'keep me logged in' button? It started doing this around the time Rohan launched. Used to be I'd stay logged in for about 2 weeks.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
If you mean my.lotro.com, it looks like it has some pretty bad session handling sometimes. If deleting cookies set by the page doesn't clear up the issue, there isn't much you can do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ruffz posted:

Anyone know why the LOTRO lottery site signs me out almost daily even though I click the 'keep me logged in' button? It started doing this around the time Rohan launched. Used to be I'd stay logged in for about 2 weeks.

They've been doing a lot of 'maintenance', which logs everyone out. Their forums are worse though, because not only do they log you out constantly, but they'll redirect you back to the page you came from, which is loving annoying as hell. If there is anything Turbine is good at, websites are not it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, got the bug to go back to LOTRO again. It seems to be the one game (to rule them all) that keeps on sucking me back in.

I look forward to spending the next couple days agonising over class choice, usually warden vs captain. I know from experience as a warden that I can jump into a pile of mobs, shout at them and boot one or two in the nuts, spin my spear a few times and they're all dead. Captain, however, never feels quite as balls to the wall for me, though I'd probably prefer playing a cappy if I got to raiding to handle the support aspect via buffs, off-heals and such, simply because being main-tank would be a bit too much responsibility. The key problem is that I simply love the levelling ability of the warden, as I don't really have to worry about handling a pack of mobs, or an Elite Master. They've also got that 'if your health goes below x amount, restore a huge chunk' ability, and Cappies have Last Stand, which is also kinda nifty when you add the trait-thing to it. Gah, choices!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I love Evendim. I'm destroying poo poo 5 levels above me. Overpower stance is incredible against trash once you get force opening.

Getting to level 30 felt like a bit of a chore. Since then I'm having more fun with it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Yeah, gonna play this again for a bit. Just having trouble picking a class (as usual). Leaning toward Captain as it seems to have a nice middle ground of 'useful and people want you but not a tank or a main healer so not as much responsibility as them'. I'm also trying to base my choice off of what classes are assholes in pvp, and I seem to recall some really loving deadly and impossible to kill captains last time I did Monster Play.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

sassassin posted:

I've spent like £30 on the game so far.

Whoops, I was misremembering. Can either remove the currency cap for all characters (existing and future) by spending 395 TP or permanently remove it for all existing characters by subscribing for a month. Subscribing also gives permanent-for-existing-character unlocks to all trait slots, 4th and 5th bags, and fast travel, plus 500 TP.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Okay, melee attacks feel a lot more responsive from last I played. I love the new pending loot window. :iia: I'm Serentyl in game if I could get an invite.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

In the combat options I turned on combat smoothing and animation blending and the game feels a LOT better. I have no idea why they are turned off by default.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I love the new pending loot window. :iia:
It's so awesome it almost feels like cheating to me. I get this ridiculous compulsion, (ignored), to use it only for discard decisions rather than what it is: a big 50-slot loot bag you get to drag into town once an hour.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The pending loot window is definitely awesome, but it has one particular edge-case bug that screwed me over once: quest items are not auto-looted. Let me paint you a word picture: I killed 50 draugr in this one cave, about 40 of which dropped a quest item. Had I been given any indication that I should open up my lootbag and actually use one of those things, I would have gotten another quest to complete while I was in the cave, and it would have let me actually use this weird vortex thing at the end of the dungeon. Instead, I fought my way there, attempted to do something with the vortex a couple times before deciding it was just a really cool-looking but useless background detail, left the cave, went back to town, opened the pending window to collect and sell my loot, and found 40 goddamn quest items in there, of whose existence I had been given absolutely no hint. 39 of them had to be discarded individually, and then to do that quest I had to do the whole goddamn dungeon all over again. :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hello Sailor posted:

Whoops, I was misremembering. Can either remove the currency cap for all characters (existing and future) by spending 395 TP or permanently remove it for all existing characters by subscribing for a month. Subscribing also gives permanent-for-existing-character unlocks to all trait slots, 4th and 5th bags, and fast travel, plus 500 TP.

Best part is I've got 80 hours played and I'm only now using something I actually paid money for (Evendim quests).

Everything else is expansions and higher level content, and the couple of trait slots were paid for by questing.

Am I the only one that hates fast travel because of *immersion*? Not that it's stopped me using it every now and again.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I wish I could make friends with a LOTRO developer to get some hints about what regions are being released and when. I'm sure West Rohan is pretty much a given for the fall, but I don't think they've given any clues about what'll be in the spring update.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
After settling on a character, I'll get in on some Nazgun chatter. Character name is Dahan on Silverlode.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Well, generally speaking, we can be pretty sure Gondor will be the next "big" place. Unless we go directly to Mordor... I don't think the Fellowship ended up in any other regions.

Any hints in Rohan's storyline? I've just started the Rohan content.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 8, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Backslap posted:

Well, generally speaking, we can be pretty sure Gondor will be the next "big" place. Unless we go directly to Mordor... I don't think the Fellowship ended up in any other regions.

I dunno, considering the immediate cinematic future of Middle-Earth it'd make a lot of sense for them to make a few certain additions onto the eastern end of Mirkwood instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

When you zoom out to the map of Rhovanion there's several grayed out areas that could be part of the spring update, I'm guessing West Rohan will be its own expansion in the fall. That leaves the rest of Fangorn, Gladden Fields, and the rest of Mirkwood. I think the areas east of southern Mirkwood would be way too big for just an update. I haven't completed all of the epic or totally rebuilt Hytbold, but to me it seems as though they hint about going to West Rohan next, that's why I expect it to be the fall expansion.

• Locked thread