Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

We continue to tread water, and John Smoltz hasn't disappointed so far. All seems to be well. I will, however ask that you have Tony Perez play 3B against lefties. While this doesn't really help Kamm, he's getting on base and playing superior defense well enough 7 days out of 7, he'll do the latter just as well in 5, and a slight hitting decline isn't the end of the world. Plus Tony Perez against exclusively lefties should round out my lineup's home run potential. Also we will vote A for despair, since one would assume some sort of homesickness sets in even when reincarnated in a robot body long into the future. That's a lot of time. Not to mention the difficulty of enjoying gyros.

Also, Shadow gamer of the Cuba Smokers, kw0134's post wasn't the most clear thing in the world, but they made their selection and you are on the clock as of 18:55 CST.

Stealth edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhZIXpc5ryLodE5JM1FmZmhQQzlVVnBaQWdXVnZLbFE#gid=2 spreadsheet for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
C, let's blow up robots like an MLB version of Sonic!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Shadow gamer of the Cuba Smokers you are on the clock as of 18:55 CST

Smasher Dynamo posted:

All-Star Ballot
Dynamo League

Catcher
[ ] Ernie Lombardi (POR) (.254/.299/.378, 6 HR, 3.4 WAR)

First Baseman
[ ] Todd Helton (ONE) (.276/.342/.437, 7 HR, 5.0 WAR)

Second Baseman
[ ] Joe Morgan (DUB) (.282/.360/.445, 7 HR, 8.6 WAR)

Third Baseman
[ ] Wade Boggs (SJE) (.356/.419/.490, 4 HR, 5.5 WAR)

Shortstop
[ ] Joe Cronin (ONE) (.316/.376/.464, 6 HR, 6.5 WAR)

Left Fielder
[ ] Tris Speaker (ROC) (.382/.449/.560, 1 HR, 7.0 WAR)

Center Fielder
[ ] Oscar Charleston (ROC) (.302/.359/.476, 6 HR, 4.8 WAR)

Right Fielder
[ ] Mel Ott (ALB) (.332/.434/.611, 15 HR, 6.8 WAR)

Designated Hitter
[ ] Lance Berkman (BUR) (.281/.351/.526, 9 HR, 4.7 WAR)

Manager
[ ] TKBomber7285 (POR) (3x Super-League Champion with Skyhawks, outstanding at skirting rules)

Smasher League

Catcher
[ ] Josh Gibson (LUN) (.304/.352/.526, 10 HR, 2.7 WAR, is Josh Gibson)

First Baseman
[ ] Albert Pujols (RYL) (.286/.387/.468, 7 HR, 5.4 WAR)

Second Baseman
[ ] Joe Morgan (OXB) (.297/.392/.462, 5 HR, 6.0 WAR)

Third Baseman
[ ] Paul Molitor (PHF) (.321/.366/.491, 6 HR, 6.6 WAR)

Shortstop
[ ] Honus Wagner (BRN) (.287/.332/.388, 1 HR, 6.0 WAR)

Left Fielder
[ ] Ted Williams (NEA) (.299/.409/.451, 7 HR, 5.4 WAR)

Center Fielder
[ ] Mike Trout (SPO) (.293/.338/.431, 6 HR, 5.8 WAR)

Right Fielder
[ ] Babe Ruth (SLA) (.307/.417/.609, 14 HR, 6.5 WAR)

Designated Hitter
[ ] Sadaharu Oh (LOM) (.274/.341/.452, 11 HR, 5.6 WAR)

Manager

Abstain

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 6, 2013

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Let's try this:

Bullpen:
CL Keith Foulke (2001)
SU Takashi Saito (2007)
SR Hong-Chih Kuo* (2007)
SR Ugueth Urbina (2003)
MR Virgil Barnes (1924)
LR Derek Lowe (2007)

And Grace Mk. 7 should despair, for he will never be allowed to obtain a gyros.

IceMole fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 6, 2013

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

My condolences to the Elephants. I shall remember you each time I play billiards with my ivory set painted in your colors.

Martín Dihigo in for Bob Feller, please. He had his run. Bagwell continues to sadden me, let's try a platoon of Berkman and Bagwell at 1B.

C, clearly.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Bring up Cobb for Eric Davis, mostly because I want to see 40 year old Ty coming in as a defensive replacement for Ted Williams.

Bench Pop Lloyd for the week, which is a shame, but I want to shake things up a bit, send down Berkman, call up Boudreau and start him at short.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
...Did I seriously perform two consecutive sweeps for a title?

e: No, I didn't, but I still came really close?? Huh?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If I understand correctly, Shadow Gamer is now skipped and it should be blaklemenakle's turn.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

If I understand correctly, Shadow Gamer is now skipped and it should be blaklemenakle's turn.

I'm inclined to give him a bit more time, until later tonight at least.

Also, I'll close All-Star Voting tomorrow, but there's still enough time to make Marauder manager of both teams!

Dynamo League Week 12 Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
John Wetteland (RP) (I promise to never use psychic powers to destroy the elbow of someone you care about right....now!) - 8 days

Dubai Dervishes
Hoyt Wilhelm (RP) (The Dervishes are going to the top, but Wilhelm can't follow them there...) - 13 days

Portland Bulldogs
Joe Medwick (OF) (Sprained Ankle) - 14 days

Rockford Losers
Joe Torre (C) (Another casualty of the bloodfeud with the Bangers) - 8 days

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

The League Commissioner has [n behalf of the Cuba Smokers drafted Fred "Crime Dog" McGriff, so it's now the Saturn Biospark's pick.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 7, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 11: Because I'm Lazy

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LANDERS TRIP UP CULTISTS LATE, WIN 3-2

Dunwich- It just doesn't seem to get any easier for the Cultists.

Against the Landers, the Cultists needed this win, both to close the gap against the division-leading Eazy W's as well as to reassure themselves that they are still among the elite teams in the Smasher League.

But it wouldn't be easy.

With the score tied 1-1 after Christy Mathewson made his best start of the season so far, the Landers looked to finally pull ahead in the top of the ninth inning. After a Collins strikeout to start the inning, Phil Coke gave up three singles in the span of four batter to give the Landers a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. Even worse, the Cultists would have to face legendary closer Mariano Rivera.

But the Cultists showed no fear. Larry Walker led off the inning with a long double and, two batters later, with the Landers only one out away from sealing the win. Gabby Hartnett hit another two-bagger to drive Walker home and knot the game at 2. But the Cultists could not score again, as Rivera re-focused and got the last out to send the game into extra innings. This was a problem for the Cultists. They had never had much of a bullpen, and this iteration of the team was no different in that regard. The Landers, on the other hand, had a full complement of quality relievers they could call on to extend the game. The only bright spot is that the Landers had already brought Rivera into the game, and so if they could survive the next inning, mrnoun would have to put in a lesser reliever to face them in a hypothetical eleventh inning.

The Cultists did their part in the tenth, holding the Landers scoreless but, unsurprisingly, were not able to score again against Rivera. Still, if they could just make it through the top of the eleventh without letting the Landers score, they'd be in a much better position. With Coke tired, CthulhuDreams turned to Joakim Soria to close out the game. That seemed like a good call as DiMaggio and Gibson grounded out to start the inning. With just one more out to go, Soria allowed a single to Aaron. Not ideal, but acceptable. And then, in a play that changed the tenor of the game, Aaron managed to catch Hartnett off-guard with a steal attempt, making it to second without a throw. This let Manny Ramirez score Aaron on a single, giving the Landers a 3-2 lead.

The Cultists had one more chance as Joe Nathan entered the game for the bottom of the eleventh. And then Pujols struck out. Walker tried to get a rally going with a single, then Santo and Williams struck out consecutively to end the game with a whimper.

CthulhuDreams was furious after the game, "Something is not right with this Super-League! I checked the numbers, I ran the sims, and this is not right at all! Christy Mathewson should have an ERA in the low-2s, not barely under 4! Walker, in a platoon role, should have a batting average well above .300! I built an outstanding roster, one of the best of all time, and we should be ten games over .500! I did everything right! I did everything I was supposed, and this is what I get? This is a disgrace, just a disgrace, Smasher Dynamo ought to be ashamed of himself. I don't know what he's done, but it's wrong, and he's knows it's wrong."

Game Notes

-mrnoun celebrated the win with a 20-minute prog rock opera about a man trapped in a world known as Rocklandia who must defeat the Wizards of Conformity with his guitar. Reviews were mixed.

-Asked for why he missed the Aaron steal attempt, Hartnett explained that, coming from the '20s and '30s, he never really developed much of a running arms as steal attempts were quite rare in those days.

-Joe Sewell still sucks.

Box Score

Don May posted:

COMMUNISM FAILS AGAIN

Enceladus- Marxism once again failed as the inefficient allocation of resources created by the top-down organization of the economy created a critical shortage of supplies.

In this case, the shortage was that of shortstops, as Miguel Tejada was out with an injury caused by, according to the team trainer, "excessive outspokenness about the failures of Bolshevism". As a result, the Commies needed to find a new shortstop to start this game. Ultimately, the politburo of the team, despite having Brian Roberts and Melvin Mora, two actual middle infielders, waiting on the bench, chose Mike Morse to start at shortstop. This was, it must be said, a baffling move to most outside observers, as Morse was clearly more of a first baseman/corner outfielder type.

And, with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth of a tied game, with two outs, that choice came back to haunt them, as Gavvy Cravath hit a soft grounder to Morse, who bobbled the ball, and not even coming close to getting Cravath out at first, giving the Biosparks the win, and leaving the Commies with a lot of regrets.

The premier of the Commies, Faustoan Bargain, dismissed the idea that it was institutional mismanagement of dysfunction that led to this loss, "I assure you, we put the best players in the best position to win. It was believed that Comrade Morse would be able to perform at an adequate lever, and clearly, our faith in him was misplaced. He will be sent to a re-education camp in order to more fully appreciate his failure, and we will move on as a team. Our revolution will continue!"

As for the Biosparks, no reporters speak Saturnian, so no one could understand that space language. Either that, or everyone was jet-lagged from having to fly to loving Saturn for a second-division team.

Game Notes

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY

Box Score

Television TIME!

: In just two weeks, on Fox, Kevin Bacon comes to TV to...I don't know, some poo poo about serial killers.
: Is he a serial killer, or is he the guy chasing the serial killer?
: Well, I think he's a guy chasing a serial killer.
: Wait, that's a series? I mean, is he really bad at his job, and that's why it takes him so long to catch this guy?
: I think it's more like Batman, you know, how Batman always catches the Joker, but he escapes by the next issue. Oh, and the defending TV Champ Maths drop Game 1 to the Phoenixes.

: Anyway, just because the Joker escapes, that's not on Batman. And the Maths tie the series.
: Isn't it after a certain point, though? I mean, if Batman knows that the Joker is going to escape, doesn't have a responsibility to prevent that?

: Maths win Game 3, and they'll retain. And, what, are you saying Batman should kill the Joker? He can't do that, he has a code!
: Could he cripple the Joker, like make him a quadriplegic or something?

: Suicides up next, and they're not really the winning type, but they do win Game 1. And no, Batman can't run around crippling people.
: Why not?

: Suicides win again, and they're going to lose the next two games to miss out on the Television Title, aren't they? Anyway, my larger point is that, whether or not you buy Batman's modus operandi, Batman has been running for almost eighty years and people still like him. The point is, Kevin Bacon is like Batman
: Really?

: Suicides lose, and this is not going to go well for them, I can just feel it. And yes, Kevin Bacon is exactly like Batman.
: That doesn't sound right.

: Well, it is, and I can prove it. Kevin Bacon was in X-Men: First Class with Oliver Platt, who was in Kinsey with Liam Neeson, who played Ra's Al Ghul opposite Batman in Batman Begins.
: Huh.

: Oh, and the Maths retain again after the Suicides blow it! Done!

Team Statistics

Analysis

Not a great month, but the Phoenixes have also kind of sucked this month, so not much has been lost.

Analysis

Can their good pitching save them from the cruel hatred of their AI manager who likes putting Mike Morse at SS? Only time will tell.

Analysis

I'm sure you'll grow to love McGriff, just like...did Braves fans grow to like him? Well, let's pretend they did at any rate.

Analysis

I'm sure your plan to put a 40 year-old player at 2B can't possibly fail.

Oh, and you've had Joe Gordon in the minors this entire time, now, granted he's not really a shortstop, but, then again, he's not 40 either.

Analysis

At a certain point, I feel like you might as well just put Munson in a private plane and let nature take its course.

Analysis

Steady as she goes, Mr. Goodwin.

Analysis

Someday I'll get to the bottom of this game's bizarre vendetta against George Brett. Someday.

Analysis

You don't have a hole at 2B, you have a chasm.

Analysis

See, told you it was too early to quit.

Analysis

The Maths keep rolling in their own unique way that defies all logic and reason. I guess it's thanks to their infield? Or maybe that deal with the devil is paying off. One or the other.

Analysis

HIT BETTER!

Analysis

Yount + Yount = Bad Times

Analysis

You might want to take a look at player fatigue before everyone gets injured at once.

Analysis

The way this season is going for your team, I feel like your obit is going to include a sample of emo poetry where you talk about Bullet Joe Bush being like shooting yourself with a bullet...or putting a Bullet Joe Bush in your head...I have quite worked out the kinks yet.

Analysis

Cruising altitude.

Analysis

Anyone out there?

Standings and Leaders

A. Despair! - 3 votes

B. Build a digestive system so as to finally find a way to eat a loving gyros! - 2 votes

C. This is Mega-General X's fault! If he hadn't existed, then Grace never would have be
reincarnated in a body without the requiste components for enjoying a gyros! He must die for
this! - 5 votes

Grace Mk. 7 has had enough!

Storming into the command center where Mega-General X was known have his headquarters, Grace Mk. 7 went in guns-blazing, only to run right into the brick wall that was the Mega-General.

Grace Mk. 7 led off with a right hook right to the general's face that left Grace's right arm little more than a twisted pile of scrap. That was not going to go well for Grace....

DECISION TIME

Man, I'm tired!

A. Retreat!

B. To the death!

C. What does this have to do with gyros? I demand an option based on gyros!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

This looks like a good week to finally get Collins and Raines a touch of rest. Also, time to ride Eddie Joost's red hot bat.

Lineup vs R:

SS Joost
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
C Gibson
CF DiMaggio
LF Jackson
1B Nomar
3B Brett
2B Johnny Temple!

Lineup vs L:

LF Raines
SS Joost
DH Ramirez
C Gibson
RF Aaron
CF DiMaggio
1B Nomar
3B Brett
2B Johnny Temple!

Stolen Bases to -2 while our speedsters are out.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

quote:

Analysis

I'm sure your plan to put a 40 year-old player at 2B can't possibly fail.

Oh, and you've had Joe Gordon in the minors this entire time, now, granted he's not really a shortstop, but, then again, he's not 40 either.

Yeah, I'm gonna bring him up to platoon with Collins and defrep as needed.

Bring him up to platoon with Collins. Send down Rickey for the week, Chet Lemon plays left.

Send down Linebrink in favor of Hoffman. Looks like Carl Mays is on track to miss two starts, so DL him and call up, um, Chris Short.

C, what we have is a space gyros, which obviously is Herr General's one mortal weakness!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

I can't tell you what a relief it is to have Babe Adams be my worst starting pitcher again. Five below-4.00 ERA pitchers is more than i'd dare dream of. Wheat back in for Damon. I'll do something about Vaughan next update when i'm not facing the Cultists, and hopefully saying that won't have jinxed him.

Voting A.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

First, to deal with injuries, send down Worrell and Cone. Call up Roberts and Candelaria. Set the rotation to Alexander-Maddux-Oswalt-Beckett-Lester. Put Roberts in long relief and Candelaria in middle relief.

Second, to deal with my hitters being sacks of poo poo, here's a new lineup:

code:
1. RF - Berkman
2. CF - Lankford
3. 3B - Molitor
4. DH - Ortiz
5. 1B - Youkilis
6. 2B - Pedroia
7. LF - McCovey
8. SS - Rollins
9. C  - Berra
Maybe once Lombardi and Henderson return I'll be able to have six or so competent hitters.

Voting B.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Smasher Dynamo posted:

their good pitching
:psyduck:

Let's move Palmeiro up the order to bat 5th against RHP.
Also, send down Konerko, call up Quentin, and give the latter Clemente's #6 spot against righties to give him some rest. Might as well keep seeing what guys can do.

Would a quick "moves summary" like that be better, or should I include full lineups every time so you can double-check what you're doing? A lot of the time I shuffle too many spots to succinctly state it, but in this case... :iiam:. Just trying to minimize your workload while I start the Commies' managerial search...

B. To the death!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

Yount + Yount = Bad Times

I dunno, one of the younts is hitting, though he's the platoon guy. Maybe I call up Sewell again?

Guess I see the box first!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Well, at least the Seahawks won and the NHL lockout is over :unsmith:

C

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
C.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Biosparks select Fred Lynn and put him directly into CF. Send both Bancroft and Hart to the minors andcall up Jenkins.

To combat the so-called fatigue issue, have Masi catch this week, then only Maddux and Feller after. Have Jenkins spell Goose in LF, and have Luderus take over at 1B (Ruth to DH, Luderus bats in Cravath's spot).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
With blakelmenakle's pick, that means the Coburns are on the clock. Also, Smasher, I see Dave Righetti on the Emperors' roster last season, but not the draft spreadsheet; is there some reason he's unavailable?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

With blakelmenakle's pick, that means the Coburns are on the clock. Also, Smasher, I see Dave Righetti on the Emperors' roster last season, but not the draft spreadsheet; is there some reason he's unavailable?

What's in the draft pool is in the draft pool.

Should he have been in there? Maybe, but either I hosed up, or I had some reason for taking him out that I can no longer remember. Either way, since we're already halfway through the draft, I'm not going to add him in now.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
It's not like 40 year old Cobb and Collins were the reason for my demise. After all the season were I let both of them play full time was the season I survived and had my best record while the others went down the drain. Clearly both of them can only operate on their own. :colbert:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Last Call for All-Star Voting!

Smasher League Week 12 Injury Report

The Air Raids won the Heavyweight Title? But their owner doesn't even show up in this thread anymore!

Man, gently caress the Smasher League. In the Dynamo League, you have new teams doing well, and it's exciting, but in the Smasher League, the only exciting thing happening is watching how much the Mogul engine's RNG has turned on the Cultists. Which is, granted, rather exciting.

Also, there are somehow no major injuries. This loving league. I feel like I should be like the antediluvian god and just wipe out the entire league and start from scratch, I'm hoping that this vague threat to destroy all of your teams will inspire something great.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Injure a Smasher League player and heal Our Lord Barrold. :getin:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Last Call for All-Star Voting!

Smasher League Week 12 Injury Report

The Air Raids won the Heavyweight Title? But their owner doesn't even show up in this thread anymore!

:smith:

Sorry, one week vacation turned into a 2.5 week one. Where are the draft results?

Also please put in Lefty Grove as SP, move Weaver to Putz's spot (I know they're both hurt, but honestly as this point....)

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going with B because in the event we die we can be reincarnated into back into a person that could eat gyro.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Draft spreadsheet right here, Manifunk.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Drafting '29 Chuck Klein.

B.

(Mornacale's on the clock)

Warm Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 7, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Well, that makes things easy for me. Bloggers take 2001 Magglio Ordonez, Marauder you're up.

e: Also, Smasher, any numbers you can give me to help me figure out which of Ordonez and Herman to play in LF vs RF would be helpful.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 7, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Quick Deckchair shuffle:

Move Sasaki to Setup and Reardon to Short Relief. Maybe that will top the AI from using Coke as it's go to man for close ball games. Also, send Jeff Montgomery down to the minors and call up Kim Byung-Hung.

Edit: Slider changes - put let pitchers rack up high pitch counts to +2, put let pitchers start on short rest to -2.

I'm considering moving Soria to short relief if that would improve the AI's handling - my team is 33-32, so my starters are 29-25 and my bullpen is 4-7 and I think this is a trend rather than a fluke.

Looks like a lack of power is my problem, though it could be on base percentage. My team leads in ERA, is third in BA, but is last in HRs (turns out it' third in OBP, above average in defensive efficiency and below average in SLG, cock).

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 8, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

BULLDOGS CLUB LOSERS 7-2, HUMUNGUS TRIES TO PROJECT NEW FAMILY-FRIENDLY ATTITUDE

Rockford- Himmel und Erde mussen vergehen, aber der Pete Alexander, aber der Pete Alexander, aber Pete Alexander, bleiben bestehen.

Pete Alexander is a living legend of the Super-League. He was a key member of the Skyhawks dynasty that won three championships, and has been in the Super-League in every season since its beginning. And he still rocks. With seven shutout innings, Alexander guided the Bulldogs to victory over the powerful Landers, proving that there are some things more important than player ratings. Asked for the secret of his success, Alexander tersely explained, "Don't loving give up home runs or walks, and that's it. Now, gently caress off."

And that sort of anti-social behavior is exactly what's endeared him to Bulldogs' owner TKBomber, "I like Alexander, he wins games, and he doesn't give a poo poo what any of you think. And I don't give a poo poo what you think either. We're only two games back of the division lead now, and that's good, because expansion season is coming up, and you know that I've got a spare 10 bucks to make a new team if I have to. And you all know that I could get away with it, too. I got away with it last time, I could do it again. But, because the rest of your teams suck, and this division is going to end up being won by me anyway, I guess I don't have to. Or maybe I'm just creating plausible deniability for when I do make an alt account. Who knows?"

Lord Mayor Humungus had other problems, "It has been brought to my attention that while my constant threats of violence against my fellow owners has done well for my team, it has caused problems regarding the image of Rockford. Instead of seeing the family-friendly vacation destination that we have become, you all mistakenly believe that it is some blood-soaked, post-apocalyptic nightmare that devours any foolish enough to be caught in its maw. In the old days, I would threaten to murder you all for such a misapprehension, but I am told this would only compound our difficulty. Therefore, I will now give a demonstration of our new family-friendly attitude by instructing you how to make the official drink of Rockford, the Bloodbath. Do not be thrown off by the name, it no longer contains any blood. I do this, because I am told that specialty drinks are an excellent way to help a locality brand itself.

Lord Mayor Humungus then put a few glasses and bags containing the necessary ingredients on his podium, "Begin by crushing some ice, either by hand or in a blender. Put some in a highball glass. Next, pour some cranberry juice into the glass over the ice. Add finely chopped mint leaves for flavor, and then put in three shots of premium quality gin. Finally, garnish with a pineal gland ripped from the body of a defeated enemy, and serve. I believe you will find the flavor to be a pleasant surprise. I see from your faces that you find some part of this recipe to be objectionable. I am willing to concede that it might be possible to use some sort of mint flavoring if fresh mint is not available to you."

Game Notes

-Do not try and make the blood bath at home. Cranberry juice and gin do not mix.

-With two home runs, two walks and a strikeout, Howard Johnson has reached peak Hojo.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ORANGES BULLPEN LESS TERRIBLE AS COBURNS FALTER LATE

Fort Sumner- The Oranges' rally was just better.

With the score tied five in the thirteenth inning, the Oranges were finally ready to make their move. With lefty Franco on the mound for the Coburns, Mauer led off the inning with a single. But Franco erased him by getting Griffey to ground into a fielder's choice, leaving one man on and one out. Unfortunately, Pujols was due up next, and for reasons never adequately explained, Warm Sarsaparilla chose to let Franco pitch to the right-handed Pujols. This ended as one might think, with Pujols hitting a long home run to give the Oranges a 7-5 lead.

But the Oranges were not done yet. McGwire welcomed new pitcher Mike Garcia with a single, and Bonds drove him home with a triple to the right-field gap. Garcia finally got the second out on a Polanco ground ball, but that allowed Bonds to score, and the Oranges now led 9-5. It seemed as if all hope for the Coburns was lost.

And yet, the Coburns did not give up. With two outs, but runners on second and third, Rod Carew hit a short grounder to third. Pujols, never a good third baseman, tried to make the play at first, but Carew was too fast, and Coburns now only trailed by two. Mel Ott, the Coburns' best hitter, batted next, and lived up to his reputation with a single of his own, scoring another run. The Oranges' lead was down to 9-7, and the go-ahead run now came to the plate in the form of Eric Davis, who had come in as a defensive replacement for Ted Williams several innings previously. Perhaps Ted Williams would have saved the day. Perhaps he would have hit a soaring home run into the right field stands to give the Coburns a comeback win. But Ted Williams was long gone, and Eric Davis was all the Coburns had.

Eric Davis then grounded out to end the game, and the Oranges celebrated their hard-fought win.

Asked for his reaction, Warm Sarsaparilla tried to put a brave face on, "I know that James Coburn has a plan for me, and has a plan for all of us. Winning today was clearly not part of it. And that hurts me, don't get me wrong, I would have loved to win this game, but it wasn't meant to be. I have faith that the holy Coburn will take us where we need to go, and wherever that may be, we will follow. And I will not question the hardships he puts in that path, because I have faith th-"

The press conference was then interrupted by oldskool, who burst through the door with a microphone in hand, "You know, Warm Sarsaparilla," oldskool began, "I've always thought that sarsaparilla tasted like piss, and really, that sums you up pretty good: Warm Piss, you see, I just kicked your rear end, and all you talk about is your magical James Coburn who's going to save you and Coburn 3:16 may say-"

Warm Sarsaparilla interjected that, "Ah, oldskool, I really didn't set you up for that sort of joke. I mean, I didn't really quote any scripture or anything, so I don't think that's really going to work here."

An incensed oldskool started angrily marching toward Warm Sarsaparilla, "You stupid motherfucker, you do not interrupt me when I am doing my promo! I'll kill you!" A wild brawl broke out as oldskool tried to beat Warm Sarsaparilla to death with his microphone before being dragged away by security, still threatening to do harm to the Coburns' owner for the perceived slight of one-upping him in the post-game press conference.

Game Notes

-The Florida Oranges' bullpen pitched eight innings of two-run ball.

-The Oranges still have only three of the nine players necessary to form the Isotopes from the seminal Simpsons episode "Homer at Bat". They still need Mike Scioscia (C) (Radiation Poisoning), Don Mattingly (1B) (Haircut), Steve Sax (2B) (Indicted for hundreds of murders), Wade Boggs (3B) (Knocked out in barroom fight), Jose Canseco (LF) (Waylaid by house fire) and Darryl Strawberry (RF) (Taken out for pinch-hitter).

Box Score

Hardcore Dreams

: I feel more bitter than usual. Why is that?
: Is it because you feel completely incompetent at everything?
: Maybe. Well, speaking of pessimism, the Pessimists will have to defend their title against the Cleveland Unicorns, who have already won this title twice this season.
: This is going to be a tough matchup. The Unicorns are loaded with talent, and are battle-tested.
: Not the best defenders, though, as the Unicorns make five errors en route to a 5-1 loss.

: And, with the Unicorns now needing to win the final three games of the series, and they'll take a step in that direction with a 5-4 win.
: The biggest difference between this year and last year for the Unicorns is Barry Bonds. He makes the Unicorns' offense that much better, even when he isn't hitting, because he takes pitches and wears down pitchers.

: Pessimists make a huge comeback late, but it's not enough as the Unicorns win in 10 innings, and that means that the Hardcore Title will be decided in Game 4.
: Of course, Barry Bonds is even better when he's hitting home runs.

: And the Unicorns don't make this suspenseful, as they demolish the Pessimists 13-2.
: That's the power of power hitting.

: And the Tornados will now get their turn to challenge for the Hardcore Title. They're an up and coming team, and if they can beat the Unicorns here, it will be a real statement.
: This is a team that specializes in hitting. Not a lot of defense, and their pitching has been shaky. But it's a good offense.
: And Ernie Banks hits another home run as the Tornados win a close one. I do like it when I get proven right about a player, and Banks has really helped me a lot like that.

: Huge win for the Tornados, and they'll take the Harcore Title thanks to two straight wins.
: And the Tornados are now playing for their place in the standings. If they win the next game, they'll have sole possession of first place in the Memento Mori Division.

: And the Tornados do it to complete the sweep!
: 10 hits, 1 walk. Not exactly a sabermetrician's dream, but it worked.

: And that will do it for this week. The Tornados next defense will be against the Dickshots, and then we'll get either Tornados-Unspecifieds or Dickshots-Losers.

Team Statistics

Analysis

That's not a misprint. Will Clark really does have 20 RBI in only 27 ABs. That's a complete fluke, of course, but it's still awesome.

Analysis

Hornsby is hitting better, at least. And Ford is more unlucky than anything else.

Analysis

If it makes you feel better, you Pythagorean record says that you should be better than this.

Analysis

There's no way that McGraw can keep this up, of course, but if he can keeping it going just a bit longer, you'll be in a very good position.

Analysis

It's not like your middle infield can suck this hard for that much longer.

Analysis

And here comes Dave Stieb to save the day!

Analysis

Your best pitcher is Noodles, and you're still tied for first place. That defense is really something.

Analysis

Suzuki has seven walks in 73 games. Not the best omen I've ever seen.

Analysis

Still kind of barely hanging in there.

Analysis

The Bangers never quite seem to win as many games as they should.

Analysis

Your problems are mainly caused by a lot of bad luck in a row and playing in the same division as the Unicorns and the Bangers. The first of those should resolve itself through time.

Analysis

Team scrapheap continues to survive!

Analysis

The Mick has at least leveled out the Generics' fall. But I'm not sure that's enough at this point.

Analysis

In fairness, the Dervishes are a good team, and it's no great shame to be tied with them. Still, injuries have held you back.

Analysis

I'm not sure how you ended up with the one Stan Musial who can't hit, but I'm sorry.

Analysis

Grumble.

Standings and Leaders

A. Retreat! - 2 votes

B. To the death! - 4 votes

C. What does this have to do with gyros? I demand an option based on gyros! - 3 votes

Well, this fight started with Grace Mk. 7 reducing his left arm to scrap trying to punch out the Mega General, so it's not like this is destined to be much of a contest. Out of a sense of pity, Mega General X ends the fight quickly by ripping Grace Mk. 7's head right off of his body.

Of course, since Grace is a robot, that doesn't actually kill him, and the irritated Mega General, who is scheduled to be present at the ribbon-cutting of a new Space-Quizno's, really doesn't have time for this poo poo. So, Mega General smashes Grace's head against the wall until it's in many, many pieces, wait, hold on, let roll 3d20 to figure out how many....37. Grace Mk. 7's head is in 37 pieces.

Okay, now what?

A. Reincarnate in the past!

B. Reincarnate in the future!

C. Reach Nirvana or something! I'm so sick of this loving bullshit! This is all bullshit! Why the gently caress did I sign up for this Super-League anyway? The writing's terrible, the guy who runs it is insanely angry all the time, and this story has dragged on long enough!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
A, this gyros-free future isn't working out so well.

And I've got a few lineup tweaks in my spreadsheet to give a few dudes some rest.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Fire Neikro into the sun, take Lee off the DL and give him back his spot in the pen. And A.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

New lineup this week:

#1 Julio Franco - SS
#2 Wade Boggs - 3B
#3 Rogers Hornsby - 2B
#4 Hank Aaron - 1B
#5 Stan Musial - LF
#6 Joe Torre - C
#7 Al Kaline - RF
#8 Brett Butler - CF
#9 Pitcher

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

While the backups have been doing pretty good for me, I do have to switch some of the starters back in. This will be the new lineup.

2B Charlie Gehringer
CF Bobby Murcer
LF Frank Howard
1B Frank Thomas
SS Alan Trammell
RF Frank Robinson
3B Howard Johnson
C Ernie Lombardi
Pitcher

Let's set Terry Steinbech as the personal catcher for Bert Blyleven

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Did someone say "elderly infielders?" The Finger Lakes Phoenixes draft

'72 Brooks Robinson

A.

Welcome back, Manifunk, you're on the clock.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Bring Aguilera up and put him in Valverde's spot, sending Valverde down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Voting A and noting that while Ichiro never walks, Barry Bonds has more walks than hits despite hitting ahead of Griffey and Pujols for most of the season.

Put Trammell back in as starting SS, his injury should finish the middle of this week. Ozzie can take his spot on the bench for now.