Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rotten Cookies posted:

I've been wanting to get a Jag bass just like that.

How you like the Legend amp?

I like it just fine. It has a few issues that I need to visit a tech to get fixed, like how the reverb channel is more of an "add hiss to your sound" more than what it's supposed to do. That being said, I'm still on the lookout for a Legend Rock N Roll 50 head or combo, which only seem to show up on eBay once every few months, and the last one wouldn't ship to Canada soooooooo... :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Mister Clancy posted:

How do the SXs play/sound when you work on em a bit?

If you're good at doing your own setups (including taking down high frets) then you can get them to play as well as anything else with some elbow grease. As for sound the stock strings are obviously awful, but the stock pickups are surprisingly decent. With LaBella flats it sounds exactly how you'd expect.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Not exactly a purchase, but I just finished restoring this mid 1960's McMartin tube PA head. New capacitors, new 1/4 input jacks, and a fresh pair of Shuguang Coke Bottle 6L6GC output tubes. The speaker it's sitting on is a home built 1950's mono hifi speaker that I found on the side of the road in rural Geauga County Ohio. The cabinet is rough, but it contains a late 1950's 15 inch Jensen cast metal basket speaker and a Jensen horn of similar vintage. The amp was given to me by a college professor. The amp and speaker sound amazing together, they have that classic bluesy fender deluxe sort of character.

Here's a really poor quality youtube video of the amp in action. I'm the fat guy in the blue shirt with the cigarette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXIq6zy1o4

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 7, 2013

High Pockets
Apr 19, 2007
Brand new Laney Cub 12R scooped for a bit less than half the price.
I did have to go through some logisical issues, where stoned people tried to ship it to saturn while I drove to pick it up.
Its a nice little amp, I might replace the speaker though.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

drat, that's a cool setup!

niff
Jul 4, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Not exactly a purchase, but I just finished restoring this mid 1960's McMartin tube PA head. New capacitors, new 1/4 input jacks, and a fresh pair of Shuguang Coke Bottle 6L6GC output tubes. The speaker it's sitting on is a home built 1950's mono hifi speaker that I found on the side of the road in rural Geauga County Ohio. The cabinet is rough, but it contains a late 1950's 15 inch Jensen cast metal basket speaker and a Jensen horn of similar vintage. The amp was given to me by a college professor. The amp and speaker sound amazing together, they have that classic bluesy fender deluxe sort of character.

Here's a really poor quality youtube video of the amp in action. I'm the fat guy in the blue shirt with the cigarette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXIq6zy1o4

that is cool as hell, that's just the kind of little 6L6GC bedroom amp i want to put together.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm just jealous of the size of room that guy gets to play in. People have closets bigger than my current studio/practice room/whatever.

(The amp sounds cool, too, but JEALOUSY)

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Bought a new Focusrite interface at Guitar Center. I was originally planning to buy with the goal of solid, flexible interface for recording guitars either via line in or using microphones (dynamic and condensers). I didn't have anything with phantom power and I had a condenser microphone so I picked this up. It sounds really good. I'm really amazed at what you can get for $225 bucks these days.

I plugged my Malden Subhuman guitar directly into the hybrid XLR/Line-in front jack and it sounded very clean with minimal noise. It easily allows me to switch between headphones or conversely, control my monitors, which was kinda what I wanted from the mixer. I'm glad I took the salesman's suggestion because now I have a lot more desk space.

Focusrite also includes a surprisingly robust digital mixer with the interface, so I essentially do not need a mixer.

Gnumonic posted:

Schecter Loomis

I don't understand where all the "Schecter necks = baseball bat" stuff comes from, this is my third and they're more than comfortable enough for my tiny hands - and size small gloves are usually a bit too big for me (the frets are also gigantic, most of my other guitars have jumbos and the extra jumbos on the Loomis make it feel nearly scalloped).

How does the action and fluidity of the Schecter feel? I too have ladie hands and I like to play fast metal leads but I can get tired really quick when trying to press down on the strings to play fast triplets etc. Would you recommend the Loomis or something similar?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Picked up an NSDesign NXT Electric upright off eBay about a week ago, and it finally came in! I'm so excited! It's a beautiful flamed maple color that matches my cello, and despite being used everything seems flawless on it. I can't wait to play it!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kerpal posted:

Bought a new Focusrite interface at Guitar Center. I was originally planning to buy with the goal of solid, flexible interface for recording guitars either via line in or using microphones (dynamic and condensers). I didn't have anything with phantom power and I had a condenser microphone so I picked this up. It sounds really good. I'm really amazed at what you can get for $225 bucks these days.

I plugged my Malden Subhuman guitar directly into the hybrid XLR/Line-in front jack and it sounded very clean with minimal noise. It easily allows me to switch between headphones or conversely, control my monitors, which was kinda what I wanted from the mixer. I'm glad I took the salesman's suggestion because now I have a lot more desk space.

Focusrite also includes a surprisingly robust digital mixer with the interface, so I essentially do not need a mixer.

How does the action and fluidity of the Schecter feel? I too have ladie hands and I like to play fast metal leads but I can get tired really quick when trying to press down on the strings to play fast triplets etc. Would you recommend the Loomis or something similar?

The Loomis had the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned right out of the box, and without any buzz (I don't really downtune except for the Agile which is in drop E more for my sanity than for any extra low end). You might want to check out the Schecter SLS series and see if you could play that compared to the Loomis. The SLS have thinner necks, same frets (I think) and more pickup options, but the inlays are (somehow!) even gaudier than the ones on the Loomis and you're stuck with mahogany. I should probably caution that I play with my thumb in the middle of the neck and my fingertips on the strings - if your thumb creeps over the neck (at least for lead stuff) the Loomis *might* not be playable with tiny hands, since the neck is absurdly wide if not as thick as people make it out to be. I think Schecter might be releasing some less ugly SLS variants for 2013 so you might want to wait and see what they come up with.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Deathy McDeath posted:

Picked up an NSDesign NXT Electric upright off eBay about a week ago, and it finally came in! I'm so excited! It's a beautiful flamed maple color that matches my cello, and despite being used everything seems flawless on it. I can't wait to play it!

I want an upright one day and always think of getting an electric to practice.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
This sweet little cheap plugin:

XFER Cthulhu. Chord memory like on a Korg M3. I've been looking for this for ages.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Today was a good day. Everything that I ordered with Christmas money came today even tough I ordered them from different places and on different days.

The biggest:
An ESP LTD Vintage 204R

I had a Jazz bass that I liked ok but it was active and frankly just wasn't the sound I was looking for. I wanted to get a P-bass but I saw this and thought why not get a P-J for increased versatility. Hello music had this for $198 so I sold my Jazz and bought this:

with the left over money. I got it on recommendation from the bass megathread. The bass plays amazingly, though I might need to file down a couple of fret ends. I haven't plugged it in yet, I'm waiting to play it with the new pedal tomorrow when I get into my studio.

Lastly I picked up this guy in this handsome box:

A CAD Equitek E100s LDC Microphone. The price was right and the reviews on it were amazing. I'm going to put it through the paces tomorrow on 6 string, 12 string, Banjo and Vox. I'm really psyched about it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

HollisBrown posted:

:

A CAD Equitek E100s LDC Microphone. The price was right and the reviews on it were amazing. I'm going to put it through the paces tomorrow on 6 string, 12 string, Banjo and Vox. I'm really psyched about it.

I have one of these, an old model which I think was the first version. It's my "nice" mic, it works well on nearly everything.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Pro Tip: Don't get rid of this. Whatever you do, do not get rid of this! It will (hopefully) be your go to pedal for awesomeness. Love mine, the first, second and now third time of owning one.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
If this pedal does sound exactly like I want it to, I should be picking up this beauty on the weekend. I would have loved to have it in time for my bands show tomorrow night

The Sola Sound Tonebender MKII Professional!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_YwaKDjPU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

haha i can almost feel Jack White and the Edge's boners from here. They look like they're about to burst out giggling like little schoolgirls.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

I'm giddy as poo poo just thinking about owning it! It's my favourite fuzz sound in the whole world and its going to be MINE DAMNIT! AHAHAHAHA fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk cannnnnnnnnnnnnntttttt wwwwwaaaaaiiiittttttttttt

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Here's a rude dude with a bad attitude:

One of the very first Gibson Midtown basses to roll of the assembly line; ordered it at the beginning of October. Sexy and bong rattlin'.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Kerpal posted:

That thing looks like it'd be great for a first external interface so I'm gonna get it next week I think...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nrr posted:

haha i can almost feel Jack White and the Edge's boners from here. They look like they're about to burst out giggling like little schoolgirls.

If you haven't seen the documentary this is from, you really should. It Might Get Loud is definitely worth at least one full viewing. And it's $8.50 on Amazon.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
You definitely can't go wrong with the Focusrite. It's my first interface. I borrowed a Tascam US-122 from a friend for the longest time and to me the Focusrite is way ahead of it, but it's not a fair comparison since the Tascam model is considerably older.

Today I decided to buy a pedal board since I'm getting sick of hitting pedals on the carpet. Went over to Guitar Center and picked up the PS8. Planning on adding a volume and noise gate pedal in the future. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations I'm all ears (or eyes I guess). The board feels a little cheap but seems to do the job fine. You could probably save a lot of money and just get plywood + velcro carpet but meh, laziness.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RetardedRobots posted:

One of the very first Gibson Midtown basses to roll of the assembly line; ordered it at the beginning of October. Sexy and bong rattlin'.

gently caress yes, I love mudbuckers.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Anyone know anything about a Crafter FSG280EQ?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
My dad went to the Goodwill and picked up a project for me for $20. A 1961 Karl Hofner violin. It has an open crack in the front, screws and a couple holes in the back (probably to hang the thing), and a name carved crudely into the back as well. Also, it's missing a bridge and fingerboard.

Fixed, it'll probably be worth only $150 if I'm lucky. But it's a good practice instrument for repair.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kerpal posted:

Today I decided to buy a pedal board since I'm getting sick of hitting pedals on the carpet. Went over to Guitar Center and picked up the PS8. Planning on adding a volume and noise gate pedal in the future. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations I'm all ears (or eyes I guess). The board feels a little cheap but seems to do the job fine. You could probably save a lot of money and just get plywood + velcro carpet but meh, laziness.

Don't try to carry this thing around using the shoulder strap included in the package. I broke the flimsy pieces of plastic in mine in the first 3 or so seconds I tried to haul it on my shoulder.

Also, I really should try to build a case for it. The bag isn't really ideal for transport (someone who isn't me always gets the thing upside down and all my settings get hosed up).

Here's the board and my most recent acquisitions: Black Forest Overdrive, Boss Super Overdrive and EHX Clone Theory. The rest are older.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Achtane posted:

gently caress yes, I love mudbuckers.

That's not actually a mudbucker, its the same TB Plus pickup Gibson puts in just about every bass they make in a big chrome cover.

Gil Gunderson
Sep 23, 2007

Be careful now, Jim. This one's got a gun.

Buying it this week for a new band I'm in. My Rockerverb 100 doesn't like Drop A tuning stuff. I've had a few of these before. Don't know why I just don't hold onto them.

Augmenting said 5150II with this. Incredible gate and general necessity when you're playing high gain stuff. Will be taking the place of my Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
They say you can't afford to drive a Ferrari until you can afford to buy two...
I recently had the opportunity to pick up a second Rhodes Stage 88 as a parts piano for my restored one. This is the sister piano to my main instrument- owned by the same guy, and only a year younger than my '73, but much more beaten up. This one spent the last three years unplayed sitting as set dressing for an HBO show.

The '74- you can see how much work it needs

Inside is pretty gross...

What's that in the top right? :nms:
http://i.imgur.com/9WgUE.jpg
oh a squished roach egg ok :barf:

...and here's my '73 looking forward to all the spare tines

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

Oh wow, they did a remake of the EB-2 with a bridge pickup? I may have to try one of these out.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Scarf posted:

Oh wow, they did a remake of the EB-2 with a bridge pickup? I may have to try one of these out.
I wouldn't call it a remake of the EB-2; it's full-scale 34" and it's not really semi-hollow.

My main complaint is the lack of proper controls: volume, tone and a three-way selector only give you neck, bridge or neck with a little bit of bridge as options (neck is way hotter than the bridge). I really prefer a lot of bridge with a little neck dialed in for fullness/roundness, so I'll probably replace the three-way with a blend knob and be happy. Oh and neck dive is not insignificant.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

I wouldn't call it a remake of the EB-2; it's full-scale 34" and it's not really semi-hollow.

My main complaint is the lack of proper controls: volume, tone and a three-way selector only give you neck, bridge or neck with a little bit of bridge as options (neck is way hotter than the bridge). I really prefer a lot of bridge with a little neck dialed in for fullness/roundness, so I'll probably replace the three-way with a blend knob and be happy. Oh and neck dive is not insignificant.

Have you tried raising the bridge pickup?

You could also throw in a Varitone or something cool like that if you wanted more of a project

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Scarf posted:

Have you tried raising the bridge pickup?
It's at the same distance from the strings as the neck pup so I should probably nudge it up a bit anyway. I don't think I can get the blend where I want like that though.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Well I picked up the Tonebender today and even though it seems that I have to change a whack of components to make it sound like a loving Tonebender, it is still a good sounding fuzz and looks cool as poo poo.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Oh yes, that's a sweet rig.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Are you 24 year old Jimmy Page?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Scarf posted:

Sadly, not a reissuue/remake. Bastards built this in a 34 inch scale.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

juche mane posted:

Are you 24 year old Jimmy Page?

No but I do have the triple pickup Les Paul Custom with the bigsby

I'm finding this fuzz sounds cool with the guitar volume at full tilt, but more cutting and closer to the sound I want at about 8 on the guitar.

I still have a Pigeon FX Marshall Supa Fuzz kit and got a set of old Mullard OC75 trannies coming my way to swap into the pedal if I really end up hating it. The more I work with it the better it sounds (no poo poo, rear end in a top hat)!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my boss just gave me this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Picked up an old 2x12 tonight.

It came empty, but I had some vintage 30s to put in there.