Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're ok supporting communism you can get Krieg for about ~ $2.50 a trooper, but its awesome watching you poor-ham some of that FW stuff!
Well, I'd rather not buy counterfeits.
Besides, poor-hamming a sizable Krieg force from the Gorgon stuff is an idea I've seen mentioned several times, but never seen executed, so I figured I'd give it a shot
And if I can manage to successfully do it with an exacto knife, greenstuff and a drillbit as a sculpting tool, with no prior experience of greenstuff, anyone with the time to spare can do it.
And the mental fortitude to cut up FW resin without getting a heart attack I guess.

E: waiting for the wash to dry on my colour scheme test model. I'll throw up a picture when it's done.

E2: And here it is:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Very nice. In the close-up, the patches of GS on his elbows are pretty distinct. How much does one notice it on the table? I might consider bulking up my forces with your methods for cheap, as I'm going for an inf. blob of DKoK (:retrogames:).

Also, this is obviously just personal preference, but I'm not really sold on the green shoulder plates and helmet. I think it clashes a bit with the blue trenchcoat (which I really like). Of course, that may change when I see an entire squad painted up.

Fake edit: I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say the opposite so feel free to ignore me.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PeterWeller posted:

We can't really bag on GW for not updating old codices when the last five releases have been Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Necrons, Chaos Marines, and Dark Angels, all factions with old books that sorely needed an update.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but barring Dark Angels which we know little of, those were all awesome updates right?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

TheBlobThing posted:

Very nice. In the close-up, the patches of GS on his elbows are pretty distinct. How much does one notice it on the table? I might consider bulking up my forces with your methods for cheap, as I'm going for an inf. blob of DKoK (:retrogames:).

Also, this is obviously just personal preference, but I'm not really sold on the green shoulder plates and helmet. I think it clashes a bit with the blue trenchcoat (which I really like). Of course, that may change when I see an entire squad painted up.

Fake edit: I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say the opposite so feel free to ignore me.
The GS is a bit too obvious, I agree, but that's mostly because the "folds" I made to make it look like an actual sleeve and not a bent pipe, ended up being too small, and too numerous. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make it look at least a little bit better for the next batch of 10 I'm going to patch up after I've put them to the knife.
As for the green on blue, I wanted two colours that were both fairly muted but contrasting to each other to keep it from looking bland and boring even at a distance.
I considered yellow instead of the green, and then I remembered I was going to do Death Korps of Krieg, not Caroleans. (:sweden:)

Fake edit: The GS'ed elbow stands out a bit extra in the third picture because the highlighting looks much sharper on the picture than it does to the eye. Oddly enough, that effect seems to be present only in the third picture.

What had me most concerned about the colourscheme was the blue on blue for the coat. I really wanted the inside to be a differing colour from the outside, but didn't want too many different colours either, so I settled for a different shade of blue.

And to actually answer your question: the sleeves look pretty okay at half an arm's length away.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 7, 2013

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AgentF posted:

If he can reconstitute a body then he can reconstitute a shiny new heart.

I doubt the rules governing space knight demigods who turn to evil and become magic space monster embodiments of disorder and decay are that simple. You can spend a minute and come up with a half a dozen cool reasons why he can't heal that scar.

Manifest posted:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but barring Dark Angels which we know little of, those were all awesome updates right?

I would say so. Some would say that DE haven't aged well or that GK and Crons are too awesome or that their rules are good but their fluff is dumb or that CSM was only half an effort. But I think they've been on a run for a while now. The last book that was a flop was Tyranids, and it's not nearly as bad as it's often made out to be; what killed its rep more than anything was the hosed up model release.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DE are definitely not ok seeing as there was a mere 2 years between them being re-released and an edition coming out which completely hosed with the fundamentals of the army. With any luck though the massive popularity they experienced for those two years and the fact that there's been so much investment in the model range means the new book will come out relatively soon and fix them right up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Welp, the store near my Canadian friends that they had been building their armies from had a Boxing Day, in stock items only sale that made them the cheapest on the planet to get minis from. Since the friends were already going to send me Cards Against Humanity, they're getting a bigger box and sending me the Battleforce, Farseer w/ Warlocks, Fire Dragons, Banshees, Falcon and Jetbike I ordered. Once they have more stock I'll add another 2 battleforce, 2 jetbikes and a Ranger squad, then source some paints (already found the eye searing Orange I want on eBay) and green stuff locally and get cracking on my army :dance:

Now to read the rulebook and the codex to figure out what sort of terrible army I can make out of 30 Guardians w/ 3 support weapons, 15 Dire Avengers, 6 Banshees, 6 Fire Dragons, 5 Rangers, 3 War Walkers, 3 Wave Serpents, 3 Guardian Jetbikes, a Falcon and a Farseer :v:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Corrode posted:

DE are definitely not ok seeing as there was a mere 2 years between them being re-released and an edition coming out which completely hosed with the fundamentals of the army. With any luck though the massive popularity they experienced for those two years and the fact that there's been so much investment in the model range means the new book will come out relatively soon and fix them right up.

The thing that kills me about Dark Eldar is how well their new rules fit 5th edition and how refreshing they were in terms of a xenos army. Going from a middle-to-high level army to a low-to-middle army would have to be a disappointment. It's not like 6th edition ruined everything, they're just lessened by assault rules and the fact that most vehicles can get cover saves against their ridiculous dark lance spam (now they know how the rest of us felt with their fields).

I can defintely empathize with the ruination of assaulting/reserve mechanics though. Tyranid/DE xeno-solidarity. :smith::hf::smith:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Inexperienced players are still poo poo scared of Dark Eldar. They aren't very common even when they were at their height and some people just don't know what the gently caress to do.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Now to read the rulebook and the codex to figure out what sort of terrible army I can make out of 30 Guardians w/ 3 support weapons, 15 Dire Avengers, 6 Banshees, 6 Fire Dragons, 5 Rangers, 3 War Walkers, 3 Wave Serpents, 3 Guardian Jetbikes, a Falcon and a Farseer :v:

- Farseers are our best HQ, take Eldrad himself if the points allow for it. Keeping the powers from the Codex or exchanging them for Divination can work either way, depends on who you're facing
- War Walkers are an awesome HQ choice, people usually do scatter lasers or shurican cannons on them but equipping them with EML is also very viable, outflanking has it's benefits but having them on the table at the start isn't to bad either.
- Put the Dragons, 10 Dire Avengers and the Banshees in a Wave Serpent, they are fragile and without a transport will be killed easily
- Rangers are a solid choice although not spectacular, they have their moments with sniping but usually don't impact the game that much aside from holding an objective in the backfield
- Jetbikes are awesome and make sure one of them has a cannon equipped, last turn contesting or claiming is still hilarious
- The Guardian blob can be effective but needs an Avatar to be Fearless else they will run off
- Falcon is meh, put the other 5 Dire Avengers in there and let them jump out as a scoring unit somewhere, just wait till the last turn else a breeze will kill them

I've never played a full Eldar Mech army or a Footdar army, I tend to mix things up and your army has most of the elements mine has aswell. Even in a competitive environment I can pull in some wins with my old codex but I had to learn how to play such a fragile army. Eldar have become a complete shooting army since our assault options (aside from Harlequins) just can't pull their weight anymore now that they can't assault out of vehicles. I hope you have alot of fun with the army, I sure as hell do!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
If you take a Divination Farseer, put him in some pathfinders and kill everything. Rolling up ignores cover is huge, so is the primaris. Being able to shoot down an MC per turn or pick off special weapons with impunity is awesome. Plus they get a 2+ save in good cover, so they're fairly tough unless there's a Heldrake.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK so I'm getting back into this hobby after a long hiatus and I wanted to know if I can still field a Wyches-only army, and if so is it viable?

My loose idea is just a Succubus with a retinue in a Raider, 3 Ravagers, and as many tricked-out basic Wyches in Raiders as I can afford. Simple, no bullshit, no gimmicks, just get in there and claim objectives and carve people into pieces like Wyches should do.

Is this A Thing That I Can Do?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Minorities posted:

OK so I'm getting back into this hobby after a long hiatus and I wanted to know if I can still field a Wyches-only army, and if so is it viable?

My loose idea is just a Succubus with a retinue in a Raider, 3 Ravagers, and as many tricked-out basic Wyches in Raiders as I can afford. Simple, no bullshit, no gimmicks, just get in there and claim objectives and carve people into pieces like Wyches should do.

You'll have trouble moving them (in the raiders) and then assaulting. Can't move more than 6" before disembarking from a transport, and overwatch could end up being an issue. Once you're in CC you should be fine though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Gate posted:

If you take a Divination Farseer, put him in some pathfinders and kill everything. Rolling up ignores cover is huge, so is the primaris. Being able to shoot down an MC per turn or pick off special weapons with impunity is awesome. Plus they get a 2+ save in good cover, so they're fairly tough unless there's a Heldrake.

Pathfinders are pretty solid, but unless you max them out and/or get lucky with Rending rolls killing an MC a turn is pretty optimistic. Leave that job to Fire Dragons, which will reliably kill an MC per turn if left to their own devices.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

You'll have trouble moving them (in the raiders) and then assaulting. Can't move more than 6" before disembarking from a transport, and overwatch could end up being an issue. Once you're in CC you should be fine though.

Well the idea in my head is that on the first turn I just throw everything up 24" and let them shoot at whatever they want. Give them "too many" targets to put maximum pressure on them and force them to make decisions. During my 2nd turn, any troops from blown up Raiders get their full foot movement and a charge, and any surviving Raiders move 6", disembark, then charge. Obviously the terrain and mission objectives will change things, but it seems like trying to go first and gain as much ground as possible on the first turn and maximizing the utility of the surviving forces would be the way to go.

edit: Ravagers will of course not move 24" and will instead try to crack armor or any major threats.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any suggestions on how to do unit promotions in a fun campaign? So far the best we've come up with is:
  • if a unit is over 50% strength at the end of battle
  • and the leader is still alive
  • then on a 3+ roll their Leadership goes up by 1 (max of 10 as usual)

Does that sound too easy/overpowered? Basically this gives us an excuse to name our captains and champions, etc., and try to keep certain units out of trouble or use them more efficiently. I'm not sure how we'd do this with vehicles and MCs, this is just a possible starting point.

Minorities posted:

Well the idea in my head is that on the first turn I just throw everything up 24" and let them shoot at whatever they want. Give them "too many" targets to put maximum pressure on them and force them to make decisions. During my 2nd turn, any troops from blown up Raiders get their full foot movement and a charge, and any surviving Raiders move 6", disembark, then charge. Obviously the terrain and mission objectives will change things, but it seems like trying to go first and gain as much ground as possible on the first turn and maximizing the utility of the surviving forces would be the way to go.

edit: Ravagers will of course not move 24" and will instead try to crack armor or any major threats.

This is something I wanted to try before I put my DE ambitions on hold and went all-out with my CSM force. I'm sure it would work up to a point, just make sure your Wyches are all equipped with Haywire Grenades to insta-wreck any vehicles (such fun!), and I guess after that just hope you have enough cover and whatnot to make it work. I might suggest a Raider or two full of Kabalite Warriors (or Venoms full of Trueborn?) so you have firepower though - you'll need something to peck away at Terminators or Necrons.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

krushgroove posted:

Any suggestions on how to do unit promotions in a fun campaign? So far the best we've come up with is:
  • if a unit is over 50% strength at the end of battle
  • and the leader is still alive
  • then on a 3+ roll their Leadership goes up by 1 (max of 10 as usual)

Does that sound too easy/overpowered? Basically this gives us an excuse to name our captains and champions, etc., and try to keep certain units out of trouble or use them more efficiently. I'm not sure how we'd do this with vehicles and MCs, this is just a possible starting point.

This is something I wanted to try before I put my DE ambitions on hold and went all-out with my CSM force. I'm sure it would work up to a point, just make sure your Wyches are all equipped with Haywire Grenades to insta-wreck any vehicles (such fun!), and I guess after that just hope you have enough cover and whatnot to make it work. I might suggest a Raider or two full of Kabalite Warriors (or Venoms full of Trueborn?) so you have firepower though - you'll need something to peck away at Terminators or Necrons.

Would the 3 Ravagers not be enough to cover that role?

And yeah Haywire grenades are a must with all the armor people are fielding these days.

I haven't pointed this idea out yet but I'm sure that I'll have points left over to spend on a small unit or 2. I'll look into Venoms. Thanks!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I mentioned this leaked GW release plan to a friend who had never heard of it.
A buddy of mine works at theonering and this got passed onto me a month or two ago, I assumed it had made the rounds so I never brought it up but perhaps I was wrong.

http://pastebin.com/9EC3qw3b

If it's real it's awesome.
Except for all the space marine junk.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Minorities posted:

And yeah Haywire grenades are a must with all the armor people are fielding these days.

I haven't pointed this idea out yet but I'm sure that I'll have points left over to spend on a small unit or 2. I'll look into Venoms. Thanks!

The Ravagers would be okay, AP2 gets past Terminator armor, but with AV10 they're almost sitting ducks for most heavy weapons. If a full unit of SM gets close they could easily get 3 sixes to wound in a round of rapid firing, which takes down any DE vehicle.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Minorities posted:

You can put 2 splinter cannons on a venom, and 2 more in the kabalite trueborn squad in the back. Those could be your MC hunter, up to 24 shots of poisoned goodness per vehicle :unsmigghh:

Ravagers are AV 11 on the front. Slightly more durable, but only slightly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ravagers are AV 11 on the front. Slightly more durable, but only slightly.

Forgot/didn't know this - in that case, attacks from bolters do nothing then, but it's still not safe at all. Move every turn to get Jink saves!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

krushgroove posted:

The Ravagers would be okay, AP2 gets past Terminator armor, but with AV10 they're almost sitting ducks for most heavy weapons. If a full unit of SM gets close they could easily get 3 sixes to wound in a round of rapid firing, which takes down any DE vehicle.

Well, again, the idea is that on my first turn, all my Raiders are up in their grill and therefore should be higher priority targets. The Ravagers will be in the back providing support against big threats that could give the foot troops a hard time.

I guess I'm forgetting about deep striking aren't I? Yeah you got me there but if I'm facing a deep striking army then I'll be using a different strategy and I'll be prepared for it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Minorities posted:

Succubi are pointless but ignoring that, this is pretty much the standard skimmer DE list that's not faring too well right now in the competitive scene, except with more Wyches instead of Warriors or Wracks. The problem is that you can't really offer "too many targets" for your opponents to take down when anything stronger than a friggin' lasgun can wreck Raiders. Turn one they will have to weather the fire of your opponents' fire support / anti-tank units as well as their basic troops chipping in. Missiles and lascannons are everywhere and are pretty much guaranteed to pen Raiders. Ravagers are still nice but three of them can only do so much.

Not to mention, Wyches aren't actually good at "carving people into pieces." They have two S3 attacks. All they are really good for is tying things up temporarily with their 4++ in combat and haywiring vehicles.

I cannot recommend buying into this list, but hey, it's your 600-ish dollars.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Forgot/didn't know this - in that case, attacks from bolters do nothing then, but it's still not safe at all. Move every turn to get Jink saves!

Flicker fields are also a must-have, with the added benefit of being able to take them against failed dangerous terrain tests :haw:

Also, if you play against IG and they bring a hydra, you can't take a jink save from any shots it fires :smith:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PierreTheMime posted:

Pathfinders are pretty solid, but unless you max them out and/or get lucky with Rending rolls killing an MC a turn is pretty optimistic. Leave that job to Fire Dragons, which will reliably kill an MC per turn if left to their own devices.

AP1 on a 5 or 6 to hit makes it a lot easier to do. Especially with Guide/Prescience. Fire Dragons are better at it, sure, but they're also going to be much closer and are softer targets.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Corrode posted:

See, I think this is rather too doom and gloom. 6E didn't completely gently caress with their fundamentals--they're still a glass cannon, terribly fragile but extremely good at shooting the hell out of stuff. They were never that great of an assault army, and the WWP list was a fun gimmick, not a serious contender. They took some big hits, sure, mainly in the transport department, but some of you guys make it sound like they're Wood Elves after the 8E fantasy update.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

The Gate posted:

AP1 on a 5 or 6 to hit makes it a lot easier to do. Especially with Guide/Prescience. Fire Dragons are better at it, sure, but they're also going to be much closer and are softer targets.

Sure, but the points invested in a full unit of Pathfinders (240) and a Farseer to babysit them (either 75 or more points) is way to much for a unit that will die horribly when confronted with anything aside from shooting. For those 315 points you can get 5 Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent and then some, those dragons can kill anything they point their guns at and the Wave Serpent can put pressure on light vehicles and infantry with it's 7 shots a turn. A small unit of Rangers will be a small point investment that sometimes does awesome thing but on average they will be slightly above average, nothing more, nothing less.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
The scariest DE lists I ever faced never had more than a slight amount of CC to them. Most of the pain that was brought were warriors in raiders with splinter racks, trueborn with blasters in venoms, ravagers, and the fighters (Which got a huge boost in 6th). One guy at our club had a modicum of success with a Heme/webway portal combo for the monster and monstrous creature panoply, but even in 5th, when it was actually useful and could do something, he never found it that good. In 6th, you can save on flicker fields because you'll be getting that if you move and upgrade to shadow fields. The fighters are top notch interceptors, and as soon as you open up transports with your incredible amounts of AV fire, your incredible amounts of AI fire can mulch everything. It's not so much that DE got worse, it's that global changes affected them like everyone else, or everyone else gets to share in a tiny bit of DE specialness, mostly just the skimmers always getting a cover save. Also, never forget that all of the book mission will have night fight 75% of time for at least one turn, so abuse the hell out of their ability to ignore it and the increased defense your vehicles will have.

On anther topic, I got in my first game of 30K over the weekend after getting the book for Christmas. Holy hell, it was fun and I want my SM codex to look like this when it gets updated. My praetor had pride of the legion, and I took 3 vet squads with double plasma and the sniper USR in rhinos. I have never seen a more effective SM gunline when my bolters have rending, and then when they get charged, 3 attacks each. The heavy 4 predator autocannons are neat, but the predator executioner was boss, taking out nearly a whole squad of world eaters.

Some thing I wish the SM codex would take:
Heavy flamers and autocannons on attack bikes.
Executioners on predators, and predator squadrons.
Double specials on tac squads, and the veterans squad.
The whole centurion entry. 50 points for a captain statline with WS5 and W2, and a 25-45 point upgrade to be a chaplain, libriarian, apothicary, master of the fleet, forge whatever.
Support squads. 5 man teams that come standard with flamers, can all upgrade to the same special weapon, can't be taken as your compulsory troop squad.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was just in my local store and noticed an old White Dwarf, dating back to May 03 (I think?). It's the one right before the Eye of Terror campaign kicked off. It was kind of interesting reading the lead up to the campaign, knowing what the end result was going to be.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Spent way too much money on some FW, Chaos, and Iron warriors bits I'm going to kitbash into something sexy on Friday. Spent Saturday finishing a rhino conversion. Went to sleep on Sunday and dreamed that the Chaos codex was competitive. Am I doing this right?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Manifest posted:

I mentioned this leaked GW release plan to a friend who had never heard of it.
A buddy of mine works at theonering and this got passed onto me a month or two ago, I assumed it had made the rounds so I never brought it up but perhaps I was wrong.

http://pastebin.com/9EC3qw3b

If it's real it's awesome.
Except for all the space marine junk.

Sorry, I don't want this to get lost in all of the rules discussion, is this thing for real or has it been debunked?
Because the list has what appears to be plastic SOB kits.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

BULBASAUR posted:

Spent way too much money on some FW, Chaos, and Iron warriors bits I'm going to kitbash into something sexy on Friday. Spent Saturday finishing a rhino conversion. Went to sleep on Sunday and dreamed that the Chaos codex was competitive. Am I doing this right?

I would say CSM are right up there with the other top-tier Marine armies in terms of effectiveness, and probably better than Codex - Space Marines (which are starting to look pretty dated.) They have quite a few great choices and not that many stinkers, most of which are HQ ICs that you aren't going to bring anyway. Since you're playing Iron Warriors, are you going to be bringing a Warpsmith? I'm not a fan but they aren't terribad, I guess. I'd never leave home without a biker/jugg Lord but that's my personal preference. Chaos Bikers are amazing.

Manifest posted:

Sorry, I don't want this to get lost in all of the rules discussion, is this thing for real or has it been debunked?
Because the list has what appears to be plastic SOB kits.

Debunked by the most reliable 40k rumormonger in existence. Sorry, I was excited too.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Sometime next week I'll be playing against Eldar for the first time ever (I'll be using my Nids). Even though we just play evening beerhammer games, I'd like to win so my buddy will stop sending me a zillion texts quoting stats and saying Eldar are some great CC army to rival Nids. I know next to nothing about Eldar, so does anyone have any tips?

I'll probably be using some Biovores since I heard they're pretty sweet against Eldar infantry, though I'm pretty sure he'll have everyone stuffed in transports anyway. He keeps telling me that Wraithguard and Striking Scorpions are going to annihilate my guys; are either of those things worth worrying about?

e: It's his first time ever fielding Eldar, if that's worth mentioning.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Eldar are certainly not a CC army to rival nids. Just rush him down.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Phyresis posted:

Debunked by the most reliable 40k rumormonger in existence. Sorry, I was excited too.

Well that just deflates my dick.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i'd kill an army of nuns for plastic sisters

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

DO IT TO IT posted:

He keeps telling me that Wraithguard and Striking Scorpions are going to annihilate my guys; are either of those things worth worrying about?

Rush the Wraithguard with poison Gaunts. Shoot the Scorpions with, anything. Or just rush them when they're out of terrain. Try to take out the farseer out as soon as possible. If he's not running a farseer he's already in big trouble. Also, remember that farseers can't cast magic out of transports.

If he's playing Eldar correctly he'll run away and make you wade through brutal amounts of cross-fire. If he charges you, just charge back and drown him in bugs. Eldar are great at shooting, and specialized at CC. If he's buying transports, he'll not have nearly the bodies to match yours.

Biovores are great. Shoot them at his Striking Scorpions.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Manifest posted:

Well that just deflates my dick.

If it's any consolation, he did say some of it was right, but that's more due to the scattershot nature of the rumors.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

lockdar posted:

Sure, but the points invested in a full unit of Pathfinders (240) and a Farseer to babysit them (either 75 or more points) is way to much for a unit that will die horribly when confronted with anything aside from shooting. For those 315 points you can get 5 Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent and then some, those dragons can kill anything they point their guns at and the Wave Serpent can put pressure on light vehicles and infantry with it's 7 shots a turn. A small unit of Rangers will be a small point investment that sometimes does awesome thing but on average they will be slightly above average, nothing more, nothing less.

Well, unless you're running a deathstar of Harlequins or Warlocks there's not really a better place to hide a Farseer generally. If you are running one of those, you're not running Divination, because you need Fortune from the Eldar book. If you're meched up, you want a cheapo Guideseer since Guide works from inside transports. If you're meched up, you also probably don't have Pathfinders. And you really really want a Farseer with Runes of Warding anyway, no matter the build. So, if you're playing a build that takes Rangers/Pathfinders anyway, then a Divination Farseer is a good fit, and makes them better. Its not like he can't cast powers on units like War Walkers either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DO IT TO IT posted:

He keeps telling me that Wraithguard and Striking Scorpions are going to annihilate my guys; are either of those things worth worrying about?

Wraithguard have guns that will make short work of your MCs if they get in range. Scorpions have the attacks and armor to wade through a lot of gants. But he's not going to have the points to field either unit in any great number, the wraithguards' guns are limited to 12", and the scorpions lack an assault transport or even fleet.

Don't get cocky or anything, but I don't think you need to be worried.

The Gate posted:

Well, unless you're running a deathstar of Harlequins or Warlocks there's not really a better place to hide a Farseer generally. If you are running one of those, you're not running Divination, because you need Fortune from the Eldar book. If you're meched up, you want a cheapo Guideseer since Guide works from inside transports. If you're meched up, you also probably don't have Pathfinders. And you really really want a Farseer with Runes of Warding anyway, no matter the build. So, if you're playing a build that takes Rangers/Pathfinders anyway, then a Divination Farseer is a good fit, and makes them better. Its not like he can't cast powers on units like War Walkers either.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Hell, even if you're playing a mechanized army, you can be well served by a farseer, pathfinder, and war walker firebase to free your wave serpents from having to provide all your suppression fire.

• Locked thread