Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
So I found out Viper can blow up a assist-less dive kick for free with L+S(absorb hit),M+H~L,H bnb to death...if they called assist depending on the timing you can L,236S...The finger movement is a bit fast but I can see this being useful for other obvious kinda slow...but huge hitbox massively plus moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Could someone who knows Dante better than I do help me optimize this combo? It's off of Sentinel's L command grab anywhere but in the corner and it's for team order Sentinel/Dante.

L Command Grab, Hyper Sentinel Force, DHC to Devil Trigger (leaves them in the spinning knockdown DHC glitch state), teleport, hammer, volcano xx beehive, dash back S into shots, stinger bc teleport, hammer, volcano xx beehive into million dollars.

Maybe Dante can do a better combo. Another idea is to use plasma storm instead of HSF so that no drones hit. The only thing could get to connect after that was dash into stinger but I don't know how to combo after a stinger that hits in the air.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :hist101:

Thursday January 3rd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/aH75Hh4ou3

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Signed up! Also one of my friends from my local scene who doesn't have an account wanted to play so I told him to sign up. His challonge s/n is HologramGootecks but his PSN is JayfordLOL.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Signed up! Also one of my friends from my local scene who doesn't have an account wanted to play so I told him to sign up. His challonge s/n is HologramGootecks but his PSN is JayfordLOL.

You guys would sign up in the 4/5 spots. Now you're guaranteed to play each other unless we get 8 or more!

I'll fix it when we get started.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ybrik posted:

You guys would sign up in the 4/5 spots. Now you're guaranteed to play each other unless we get 8 or more!

I'll fix it when we get started.

Challonge lets you shuffle seeds.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

Challonge lets you shuffle seeds.

I know I was just giving him a hard time. One day tone will exist on the internet without smilies but until then :gooncamp:

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Medullah posted:

Anyone here still a newbie at the game? I haven't really played this since last year, and have been itching to play again but every time I go online it's a sad, sad experience. Wouldn't mind finding someone who wants to play a few matches here and there without delusions that we're ever going to be experts.

I need to figure out a team and start practicing with them. I loved Wesker but I think he's just so popular that my mediocre playing makes it even worse since everyone knows his moves. How is Thor these days? I started learning him and liked some of his stuff.

I'm pretty horrible and never got that far into it, haven't played in a while either. You have PSN or XBX?

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
Time to show my secret tech :getin:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Hopefully I'll be able to get home from work to make it. Might be a little late, but we'll see.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Posting some retarded tech:
http://www.twitch.tv/schillbs/b/352866755

Don't even need to strictly time the infinite, it just works super easy.

I do this as my loop and it works on all sizes and wieghts: J lmmh fly, lmh unfly repeat.

Something about swagneto means you can tac infinite without having to be pixel perfect landing a move etc. You literally have to just hold up (don't even have to be doing a move!).

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I sure hope that my internet wants me to play this week.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SilentD posted:

I'm pretty horrible and never got that far into it, haven't played in a while either. You have PSN or XBX?

Xbox Live, Medullah. Not on all that often but wouldn't mind finding a few Friday / Sunday night players.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm on XBox as Newsburger. I'm up for whatever casuals and I want to play in the tournament tonight. Do I need to do anything other than sit in the IRC and sign up on challonge?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Seizure Robot posted:

I'm on XBox as Newsburger. I'm up for whatever casuals and I want to play in the tournament tonight. Do I need to do anything other than sit in the IRC and sign up on challonge?

Nope just be there by six and it'll all come together.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :ninja:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons30
First Place: Acute Hepatitus Dante/Doctor Doom/Strider...MODOk
Second Place: JMCrofts Haggar/Arthur/Sentinel
Thir Place: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull

Xbox something something

Next Week Thursday January 10th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/psn0K33AA1

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 4, 2013

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I think you mean Jan 10 for next week.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Any of you bums going to Apex? I could use a room and a lift, if so.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I'll be going to Apex, but all our rooms are full and we're dricing from Boston, sorry.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Wozbo posted:

Posting some retarded tech:
http://www.twitch.tv/schillbs/b/352866755

Don't even need to strictly time the infinite, it just works super easy.

I do this as my loop and it works on all sizes and wieghts: J lmmh fly, lmh unfly repeat.

Something about swagneto means you can tac infinite without having to be pixel perfect landing a move etc. You literally have to just hold up (don't even have to be doing a move!).

Can you be more specific?

I'm trying this:

Up TAC, Hypergrav, down-forward dash C (with delays) [xx Fly, j. BBC, Unfly, Rejump ABBC] xN

I can't get jump ABBC to connect, all the other stuff is happening too high

what's up?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
First off: Video isn't mine.

The general thing you have to do is ladder them down until you get a flying H relatively close to the ground. I've tested laddering and it does work for that. The hypergrave variant works, but I just find it to be a major pita. Also, the actual infinite part, starting with jump A, has to be done in a corner or it doesn't work, but since you can ladder safely, it should be braindead easy to corner carry into infinite.

Also, dont do BBC while flying, it doesn't pop them up right. You need to do ABC unfly jump ABBC. Also, you should have a lot of leeway with the jumping A, if you start it too early I'm not sure if you might get out of active frames before you get in range vertically.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey guys, so I've been messing around with that Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma team and found that, while I enjoyed playing Wolverine tons, I really didn't like Wesker or Akuma, so I went into Mission Mode and Arcade Mode and played through the entire cast, here is more or less some of the characters who I most enjoyed playing with:

I really enjoyed: Wolverine, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Sentinel, Captain America, Frank West

I kinda enjoyed but not fully sure about: Dormammu, X23, Nova, Thor, Vergil

My question is, what are some good teams I can make from this combination that are somewhat beginner friendly? I'm willing to put in the work required, and preferably would have at least one character on the team that might be considered more technical than the others for the sake of bettering my execution. I was thinking of possibly running something like Wolverine/Doom/Sentinel or Hulk/Doom/Sentinel, but no idea how that team actually stacks up or even what assists to use. I'd prefer to avoid a team that is super gimmicky or avoids teaching me anything at all, but I would also prefer to pick some characters from this list, otherwise I find myself just not wanting to play at all. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you guys can throw my way.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Just play Wolvie (any assist), Hulk (rocks, OTG), Sent (drones)

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I was thinking of learning a secondary team on top of my normal Zero/FrankWest/Dorm team, and after a bit of playing around I decided to go with Dante/Frank/Hawkeye, with everyone's first assists (Jam session/shopping cart/the 3 normal arrows)

I was wondering if anyone thought that was a good combination or I should try different assists, or any other tips.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

FighterKnuckles posted:

I was thinking of learning a secondary team on top of my normal Zero/FrankWest/Dorm team, and after a bit of playing around I decided to go with Dante/Frank/Hawkeye, with everyone's first assists (Jam session/shopping cart/the 3 normal arrows)

I was wondering if anyone thought that was a good combination or I should try different assists, or any other tips.

Do Frank/Dante instead so you have a super easy time leveling Frank up. Throwxxthc=level 4/5

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Dark Wind posted:

Hey guys, so I've been messing around with that Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma team and found that, while I enjoyed playing Wolverine tons, I really didn't like Wesker or Akuma, so I went into Mission Mode and Arcade Mode and played through the entire cast, here is more or less some of the characters who I most enjoyed playing with:

I really enjoyed: Wolverine, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Sentinel, Captain America, Frank West

I kinda enjoyed but not fully sure about : Dormammu, X23, Nova, Thor, Vergil

My question is, what are some good teams I can make from this combination that are somewhat beginner friendly? I'm willing to put in the work required, and preferably would have at least one character on the team that might be considered more technical than the others for the sake of bettering my execution. I was thinking of possibly running something like Wolverine/Doom/Sentinel or Hulk/Doom/Sentinel, but no idea how that team actually stacks up or even what assists to use. I'd prefer to avoid a team that is super gimmicky or avoids teaching me anything at all, but I would also prefer to pick some characters from this list, otherwise I find myself just not wanting to play at all. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you guys can throw my way.

Some shells that have good synergy from the stuff you mentioned:
Hulk/Sent (drones): Hulk is one of the few characters who can freely call and easily protect the Sentinel drones assist. The armor on Gamma Charge allows him to protect Sentinel and the drones make Gamma Charge safe. Once drones are out he can mix up either by simply dashing (his dash is a hop that will hop over many crouching opponents) or by doing the up gamma charge w/ the forward gamma charge followup to cross up. Hulk gets pretty scary with drones backing him up. See videos of Fooblat.
Nova/Sent (drones): Like Hulk, Nova can make pretty good use of drones. The armor on Centurion Rush H allows Nova to call drones and get in on people for mixups. Centurion Rush H has significant startup so he'll need to be able to find time to get it going. Nova can make especially good use of drones during his welcome mixups.
Cap/Sent (drones): Cap can call drones fairly safely by using Charging Star as cover. Charging Star nullifies projectiles so it will help make the drones call safe. However, Charging Star doesn't have armor and it can be cleanly beaten by moves that look like they have no business beating it such as Wolverine's s.L or any of Vergil's retarded normals. Once he's got drones out Cap can use his Cartwheel for braindead easy and hard to beat mixups.

Wolverine/Doom (Plasma Beam): Wolverine really shines when he's got a horizontal beam assist like Plasma Beam, Unibeam (Iron Man), or Disruptor (Magneto). Plasma Beam allows him to be a threat from fullscreen with Berserker Slash + Plasma Beam. It's also very durable and it will beat most other projectile assists. Without a beam assist Wolvie can get zoned pretty badly. With it, he's a terror.
Nova/Doom (Plasma Beam): One of Nova's best approaches is call horizontal assist then boxdash j.H. It's braindead but it gets him in there and it's probably his most effective tactic, especially since it occasionally crosses up.

Nova/Frank (shopping cart): Nova can level Frank up rather easily without TAC's using his Super Nova hyper. Shopping cart also happens to be a pretty good assist for Nova, it allows him to lock down and go for mixups.

These are just a few ideas. There is definitely some stuff with those characters that I didn't mention. For example, Dormammu and Vergil are really good, they're both easily top 10 characters with Vergil being more like top 3. I don't know of any particular synergy with them and the characters you mentioned but they're so good it's hard for them to not do well.

If you'd like a pretty easy execution team you might try Cap (whatever)/Hulk (Gamma Wave)/Sentinel (drones). You'll get two characters who can make good use of the drones assist in the neutral game, a decent zoning assist for Cap in Gamma Wave, and the Gamma Crush DHC for tons of damage.

Wolverine's not bad with drones either he just has a much tougher time calling them safely than other characters. He pretty much has to call them as a part of his blockstring to ensure that the opponent can't tag Sent and he has a hell of a time using them as cover to get in.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thats a ton of awesome advice, thank you. So would a team like Wolverine/Nova/Doctor Doom be a good choice to pick up? What kind of assist would I pick for Nova? Is that a good order to have the team in?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

Thats a ton of awesome advice, thank you. So would a team like Wolverine/Nova/Doctor Doom be a good choice to pick up? What kind of assist would I pick for Nova? Is that a good order to have the team in?

I'd run Wolv (Berzerker Barrage / Nova (Centurion Rush) / Dr. Doom (Plasma Beam)

Nova's Centurion Rush hits overhead so if you have someone locked down and time it right, you can use it to set up an unblockable with a low hitting attack. Doom's Beam is one of the best assists in the game and will help Wolverine and Nova get in from full/midscreen. Wolverine's Assist shouldn't come into play too much, but I find Barrage much more useful for continuing combos and pressure than either of his other two assists.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Dark Wind posted:

Wolverine wants assists for three things:
1. Getting in.
2. Extending his bnb after his df+m otg.
3. Lockdown/mixup in his blockstrings.

Plasma beam should work for 1, 2, and 3. (i'm not 100% sure about 2 but i'm pretty sure). You really want both assists to be able to extend the combo seeing as how plasma beam will likely have been used to start the combo. I'm not sure which Nova assists can work for this. Grav pulse H probably won't, not sure about cent rush M but I'm not sure. Can't remember what nova's third assist is. Whatever assist you pick for nova should definitely work for #2. Centurion Rush M will probably work best for #3 so try that and see if it works.

You can pick whatever assist you want for wolverine. Berserker barrage isn't bad for Nova's neutral game. It can be used with box dash J.H the same way that plasma beam can. Tornado claw is an invincible crossover counter so it always makes an interesting option.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
If anyone needs a late night stream fix, Yipes is up at http://www.twitch.tv/ifcyipes playing Strange/Frank West/Vergil vs his girlfriend's Wesker/Dante/Magneto

Dren posted:

Wolverine wants assists for three things:
1. Getting in.
2. Extending his bnb after his df+m otg.
3. Lockdown/mixup in his blockstrings.

Plasma beam should work for 1, 2, and 3. (i'm not 100% sure about 2 but i'm pretty sure).
It does. Just need to get the timing down with sliding a good bit after pressing assist since the beam doesn't come out too quickly.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I tried out the Centurion Rush assist with Wolverine. It doesn't work to extend the combo. Nova Strike works but the timing is a little tight and the follow up is different midscreen and in the corner.

Perhaps you could try Wolverine/Spencer/Doom? Spencer is pretty similar to Nova and his slant shot assist gives Wolverine some nice welcome mixups as well as easy combo extension from anywhere on the screen. Plus, Wolverine's BnB extended by Slant Shot into Berserker Barrage xx Fatal Claw DHC to Bionic Maneuvers with an extension afterwards does over a million. That's amazing damage for 2 meters. Slant Shot also allows for an easy combo off of Wolvie's airthrow.

Dren fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Also check out Noel Brown's team of Wolverine/Frank/Wesker. Obviously you won't be playing Wesker but just go watch some of his videos and watch him get Frank up to level 4 with a 100% combo off a single touch. Shopping Cart assist helps Wolverine a LOT, and based on the list of characters you seem to like I'd put Sentinel on anchor. Drones assist is every bit as good (if not better) for Wolverine as Shopping Cart, and Sent is a great L3XF anchor. Drones can also help you leveled-up Frank get in if Wolvie goes down. That team has tons of good synergy.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

So I tried to play in the Xbox tourney last week and sat in the IRC around start time but saw nothing going on in there or in the thread until results were posted. I feel somewhat retarded but I'm not sure what I need to do next time I have a thursday off to actually play other than sign up and go in the IRC?

Minorities posted:

Also check out Noel Brown's team of Wolverine/Frank/Wesker. Obviously you won't be playing Wesker but just go watch some of his videos and watch him get Frank up to level 4 with a 100% combo off a single touch. Shopping Cart assist helps Wolverine a LOT, and based on the list of characters you seem to like I'd put Sentinel on anchor. Drones assist is every bit as good (if not better) for Wolverine as Shopping Cart, and Sent is a great L3XF anchor. Drones can also help you leveled-up Frank get in if Wolvie goes down. That team has tons of good synergy.

As solid a player as Noel is I can't recommend anyone try and emulate his style/team. He's actually quite lazy with his Frank tech. Almost 100% of the time he's going to TAC up or down, or rarely side. Wolverine actually has the potential to level Frank guaranteed without TACs but I've never seen him do it, and Wesker is both not the X-Factor anchor he was for a while and doesn't have all that much synergy with Wolvie/Frank.

He obviously makes it work but I feel like if he had a better team he'd be working it harder. Wolvie/Drones is indeed pretty godlike though.

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I'll be going to Apex, but all our rooms are full and we're dricing from Boston, sorry.

Where do you usually play? I'm unfortunately not going to Apex but I'm in the Boston area regularly playing at Game Underground in Framingham and I'll be going to Winter Brawl, it would be nice to play some more folks from my region.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Seizure Robot posted:

Where do you usually play? I'm unfortunately not going to Apex but I'm in the Boston area regularly playing at Game Underground in Framingham and I'll be going to Winter Brawl, it would be nice to play some more folks from my region.

We've already met, haha. I'm Eduardo.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

WalrusWhiskers posted:

He's the lanky goony one with the cheap wolverine spencer sentinel team. :goonsay:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Wozbo posted:

First off: Video isn't mine.

The general thing you have to do is ladder them down until you get a flying H relatively close to the ground. I've tested laddering and it does work for that. The hypergrave variant works, but I just find it to be a major pita. Also, the actual infinite part, starting with jump A, has to be done in a corner or it doesn't work, but since you can ladder safely, it should be braindead easy to corner carry into infinite.

Also, dont do BBC while flying, it doesn't pop them up right. You need to do ABC unfly jump ABBC. Also, you should have a lot of leeway with the jumping A, if you start it too early I'm not sure if you might get out of active frames before you get in range vertically.

Laddering is C, down forward dash C, land, superjump, repeat?

I got the video's up-TAC starter to work but I'm looking for other ways to start it.

My friends have started mashing buttons during the juggle to mess me up, just like they used to do with the ROM.... *Sniffle*

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Seizure Robot posted:

So I tried to play in the Xbox tourney last week and sat in the IRC around start time but saw nothing going on in there or in the thread until results were posted. I feel somewhat retarded but I'm not sure what I need to do next time I have a thursday off to actually play other than sign up and go in the IRC?

Did you see absolutely no activity? If so you probably weren't in the right channel or server. Its on synirc and you have to type in #sa-mvc3

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Elephunk posted:

Laddering is C, down forward dash C, land, superjump, repeat?

I got the video's up-TAC starter to work but I'm looking for other ways to start it.

My friends have started mashing buttons during the juggle to mess me up, just like they used to do with the ROM.... *Sniffle*

From any height you should be able to fly mode and use dash C and addf C based on their current height to get them low to the ground.

I just looked and its actually called staircasing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKkV9uIv84

This is a good example. Replace all the dash downs with dash down forwards, and make sure you are unflying into the infinite (don't unfly C then jump). You wont be able to dash forward on the last bit when you are at ground level.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Well drat, alright then!

Boobs is Fun! posted:

He's the lanky goony one with the cheap wolverine spencer sentinel team. :goonsay:

Now who are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
The tall chubby one with the cheap Hulk Haggar Wesker team

• Locked thread