Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Fuji peeps, check this link, you may find it very interesting
http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/announcing-fujifilms-new-finepix-hs50exr-long-zoom-camera-1/

While it's obviously not the X100s, if you peek at the feature set, I think it provides a very compelling preview into what sort of under the hood changes to expect in the X100s - highlights include focus peaking(!!!), hybrid AF(!!!), and maybe a slim chance of the OIS making it in there somehow? I know what my carry camera is going to be, if my gut is correct on this one. MONDAY COME NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

krackmonkey posted:

Fuji peeps, check this link, you may find it very interesting
http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/announcing-fujifilms-new-finepix-hs50exr-long-zoom-camera-1/

While it's obviously not the X100s, if you peek at the feature set, I think it provides a very compelling preview into what sort of under the hood changes to expect in the X100s - highlights include focus peaking(!!!), hybrid AF(!!!), and maybe a slim chance of the OIS making it in there somehow? I know what my carry camera is going to be, if my gut is correct on this one. MONDAY COME NOW!

Very tempting indeed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Loving the 5N so far. Tried out Focus Peaking and it is pretty goddamned remarkable.

Changing aperture/shutter speed is definitely a little cumbersome, but I think I'll get used to it. And it just so so tiny and lightweight, I think it makes up for it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got my RX1 yesterday. I'm in love! I've never worked with raw files that need so little adjusting. And the low light shots... :fap:

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I got my RX1 yesterday. I'm in love! I've never worked with raw files that need so little adjusting. And the low light shots... :fap:

Very nice, congrats! Hope to see you post a trip report after you take it out and put it through a solid shakedown. Cheers.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Full X100s spec sheet:

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/introducing-the-new-fujifilm-x100s-1/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Introduce a 2x converter for the x100 and x100s already!!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Not regretting my decision to sell the X100 on ebay at all after reading that.

It looks like the exposure dial is still in a prime position to be accidentally bumped, though. What the hell, Fuji?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

for the love of god copy paste this poo poo next time. Article is not there anymore. :(

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

keyframe posted:

for the love of god copy paste this poo poo next time. Article is not there anymore. :(

I know it's not the same, but it was basically "all the rumors are true":
    split screen focus assistant
    focus peaking
    16MP X-Trans sensor
    hybrid phase/contrast AF claimed to be "fastest in the world"
    Q button
    Annoying exposure compensation dial still able to be accidentally bumped

e: photorumors.com copied the text http://photorumors.com/2013/01/06/fujifilm-x20-and-x100s-full-details-leaked-a-day-before-the-official-announcement/

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Guess this means that proper de-mosaicing support for that sensor is coming really soon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Helicity posted:

I know it's not the same, but it was basically "all the rumors are true":
    split screen focus assistant
    focus peaking
    16MP X-Trans sensor
    hybrid phase/contrast AF claimed to be "fastest in the world"
    Q button
    Annoying exposure compensation dial still able to be accidentally bumped

e: photorumors.com copied the text http://photorumors.com/2013/01/06/fujifilm-x20-and-x100s-full-details-leaked-a-day-before-the-official-announcement/

Nice! Now I need a price.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Not regretting my decision to sell the X100 on ebay at all after reading that.

It looks like the exposure dial is still in a prime position to be accidentally bumped, though. What the hell, Fuji?

It is probably properly damped. I got a bag of #7 O-rings at Home Depot and have one wrapped around the compensation dial on my X100. It takes a concerted effort to move now. On my X-Pro 1 it is clicky and nice. I'm sure it is the same for the X-E1 and the X100s.

I am most surprised at it reusing the same back LCD. I wonder if fuji considers the X-Pro's screen to be a premium feature to be reserved for the Pro line or if there are distribution/power/processor speed considerations at work here. It's pretty impressive that fuji seems to be creating cameras built around user feedback though.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
I got to play with an X100 for the first time yesterday, and literally the only thing holding me back from buying it was knowing the X100s was being announced tomorrow. Definitely going to be picking up one of them as soon as they hit the shops.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ThisQuietReverie posted:

It's pretty impressive that fuji seems to be creating cameras built around user feedback though.

I keep thinking about this, and as far as I can tell, their flexibility comes from never having really participated in the system camera segment, so they have relatively little to lose. Fuji is also in a special position as a manufacturer of film insofar as they might have deeper insight into how to mimmic the desirable properties of it in a digital form.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No interest in the NX300? It was announced a few days ago and adds an articulated screen (vertical only, unfortunately), hybrid AF and some other things I don't really care about (dual band wifi, 3D lens support, two-tone retro styling). Given that NX cameras seem to end up getting priced $100 less than equivalent NEX models, it seems like it should be a decent pickup by the summer. It won't have focus peaking or an EVF but once it hits $500 I don't think you can expect much more.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is the x100s's EVF higher res than the old x100? I can't remember the resolution of the older one.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

keyframe posted:

Is the x100s's EVF higher res than the old x100? I can't remember the resolution of the older one.

Significantly. The new EVF is the the same resolution as the one in the XE-1.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm thinking about a smaller camera. Much as I love my DSLR, the size and weight is annoying. My S90 gets a lot of use, but the quality, when compared to the DSLR, makes me a bit sad - especially in low light situations.

I don't want to invest a lot at this stage; I'd been thinking about a Canon 40mm lens for £170, but then I saw that for £300, I could get an entire new body, along with a similar lens

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057LZHA0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 12.1MP Compact System Camera Kit with 14mm Lumix G f/2.5 ASPH Lens - Black

I've assumed that m4/3 is going to give me more options than Sony.

Would this one make me happy? I like a lot of low-light work, hate flash, rarely use video. I want something that have competent auto modes, yet will let me easily overrride setting in a P mode. I am not a fan of touchscreen, but would put up with them if necessary.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The touch screen interface isn't horrible, the quick bar is customizable which helps a lot. Image quality is great and it's rather pocketable.

spog posted:

I like a lot of low-light work

It'll do better than your S90 but don't expect amazing performance over 1600 from a first gen MFT sensor. The OOC JPEGs are a lot better than they were in the GF1 but you're still confined to what it'll squeeze out of that sensor. That's a good deal on a good camera, I think you'll love it as long as you've got tempered expectations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I know I pimp out the NEX 5N hard around here, but seriously, if you want a tiny camera with excellent low-light performance, the 5N with the 16mm lens is pretty much unbeatable. It's good up to ISO 6400 with good software like DxO Optics Pro and can even go to 12800 with satisfactory results. The firmware update last year tightened up the AF performance quite a bit too. The 5N performs so well that my DSLR is a paperweight these days.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I know I pimp out the NEX 5N hard around here, but seriously, if you want a tiny camera with excellent low-light performance, the 5N with the 16mm lens is pretty much unbeatable. It's good up to ISO 6400 with good software like DxO Optics Pro and can even go to 12800 with satisfactory results. The firmware update last year tightened up the AF performance quite a bit too. The 5N performs so well that my DSLR is a paperweight these days.

It is pretty great. My only issues were no built in evf, and the external evf is so bulky I don't like it (nice performance, but that mount sucks and feels like I might break it accidentally), and no real flash hotshoe.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

HPL posted:

I've been considering getting the 16. I really WANT to, because I want that pancake form factor, but I've heard that its a mediocre lens. I am a true novice to photography so maybe I wouldn't notice it. But it's $250 bucks that I don't want to spend if there's a better option.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I've been considering getting the 16. I really WANT to, because I want that pancake form factor, but I've heard that its a mediocre lens. I am a true novice to photography so maybe I wouldn't notice it. But it's $250 bucks that I don't want to spend if there's a better option.

Buy it used, it can be found between $100-140 on forums- it was also on slick deals recently as cheap as $150 from eBay camera sellers as a deal of the day.

e: Not vouching for these sellers, but:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178397/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11233077
$130 brand new in box

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178175/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11230851
$100 but sold very quickly

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 7, 2013

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Buy it used, it can be found between $100-140 on forums- it was also on slick deals recently as cheap as $150 from eBay camera sellers as a deal of the day.

e: Not vouching for these sellers, but:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178397/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11233077
$130 brand new in box

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178175/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11230851
$100 but sold very quickly

Keh has 2 options right now on the 16, EX for $149 and EX+ for $159

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Startyde posted:

It'll do better than your S90 but don't expect amazing performance over 1600 from a first gen MFT sensor. The OOC JPEGs are a lot better than they were in the GF1 but you're still confined to what it'll squeeze out of that sensor. That's a good deal on a good camera, I think you'll love it as long as you've got tempered expectations.

So, it's fair to say that it is somewhere between the S90 and the 40D in terms of performance?

HPL posted:

Only two issues: the 5N is a lot more expensive here, plus I'd like the flexibility of non-Sony lenses.

I've just found the GF5 with the 14-42 powerzoom for the same price as the GF3 with the 14mm. I would like that lense as it gives some flexibility when walking around

Does that look like a better deal, with sourcing a fast prime elsewhere as I must have something fast for low-light fun?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Fuji's press conference at CES 2013:

$1299 for the X100s
$599 for the X20
new 55-200 XF lens coming in April
Focus selector switch is now ordered as Manual, Continuous and Single on the side of the X100s
RAW button is now for the Q menu
130,000 X100 users worldwide
.08 second autofocus
.5 second startup with quick-start mode enabled
.01 second shutter lag
Same 9 blade leaf shutter lens
Same built in 3 stop ND filter

Video of split image focusing: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk4NTU5MDg4.html

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Is there no release date for the x100s?

e: End of march?

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

Is there no release date for the x100s?

Internet says March, I haven't seen anything official.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have any recommendations for a bag that can fit about 3 lenses?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding NEX lenses, how is that new Sony 16-50 zoom lens (NEX-6 kit lens) supposed to be? I would really love to have that over my 18-55 kit lens since its about half as long.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

It is pretty great. My only issues were no built in evf, and the external evf is so bulky I don't like it (nice performance, but that mount sucks and feels like I might break it accidentally), and no real flash hotshoe.

The EVF owns pretty hard. I don't think I have missed focus with manual focus lenses once since getting it in December, and it makes the camera so much more versatile. I was really afraid of it being flimsy but I went into it thinking that. I would just take it off and keep it in its bag if I were in a rough and tumble situation. Turns out it seems a lot sturdier than expected and I have only taken it off like two times, one of which when I was letting some friends mess with the camera.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
X100 video showing focus peaking, AF speed, Q menu, split image focusing, new focus point select method, and the new Auto ISO operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tNlfFcgQ0

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new Auto ISO menu will trickle backwards through the series.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

ThisQuietReverie posted:

X100 video showing focus peaking, AF speed, Q menu, split image focusing, new focus point select method, and the new Auto ISO operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tNlfFcgQ0

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new Auto ISO menu will trickle backwards through the series.

Am I really ordering one a day after getting a whole whack of full frame stuff? OH gently caress WHY NOT... #firstworldproblems (*edit - order cancelled, even I may not be quite that crazy yet..)

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 8, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Day 1 purchase right there. Looks like it's taken care of all the issues I ever had with the camera (We'll see how it actually handles but that video was super promising).

The only thing I'm looking more forward to is the Xpro2/3 once more lenses from the system are put out- a tilt shift, a 1.4 pancake/1.8 pancake.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

poopinmymouth posted:

Introduce a 2x converter for the x100 and x100s already!!

This would just be sweet, delicious icing on a marvelous cake. It looks like we got everything else we asked for from Fuji - maybe it will happen.

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Regarding NEX lenses, how is that new Sony 16-50 zoom lens (NEX-6 kit lens) supposed to be? I would really love to have that over my 18-55 kit lens since its about half as long.

I do not have this lens, however, a good buddy of mine does. He says that basically there is some difficult barrel distortion that he gets on his NEX 5 as it does not do internal corrections for, however on the NEX 6 & 7(I am told) the camera corrects for this. He borrowed my NEX 7 to test and said it handled the lens just fine as it made the appropriate corrections internally. I sadly do not have any examples for you as I do not have plans to buy the lens. I did a quick search online though and found this review...may help you decide, seems to point to the same issues my buddy told me about. The size of the lens does make it enticing though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

krackmonkey posted:

Am I really ordering one a day after getting a whole whack of full frame stuff? OH gently caress WHY NOT... #firstworldproblems

How many pictures do you actually take per month and didn't you just post about how you're sticking with your OM-D like a page ago?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

How many pictures do you actually take per month and didn't you just post about how you're sticking with your OM-D like a page ago?

I stuck with my OM-D, I just got more stuff :P

To answer your original question - not enough. I've got a torn meniscus and can barely walk, so the downtime is particularly frustrating and retail therapy numbs the pain.

I had an immediate onset of common sense and cancelled the x100s pre-order, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm as bad as you, if not worse. Just the other day I was contemplating selling my X100 to get something with zoom, or interchangeable lenses. Now I'm lusting after an X100S.