Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

end spoilers and nightmare in northpoint spoilers

Is it just me or does Smiling Cat look like he has the same body as Jackie?

He even is sewed up in the middle of his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

BobFossil posted:

Bought this game in the -91% glitch.

Play game.

Dude's using noodles for a telephone.

You look like you could use a pork bun on your head! :haw:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Looks like that guy might have misunderstood how the duck's healing properties work :v:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I think there would actually be plenty of scope for a direct story sequel. Because the first game is all about internal power struggles and conflicted loyalties, a sequel could focus on a weakened Sun On Yee struggling to prevent the 18k taking over. As you couldn't do the undercover cop thing again, it would make sense for Wei to effectively go rogue, helping out the Sun On Yee on his own terms to combat the greater challenge faced by a gang that, if portrayed as more evil, would make for a compelling motivation. Wei sees the threat, the Pendrew replacement doesn't, Wei says gently caress you and does it off his own bat. You'd have some nice character conflict stuff inside the SOY with some not willing to accept him due to his cop past, you'd get to continue the mixed loyalties story from the first as working for the SOY would be as interesting as working against the 18k, and having the cops be against you for thinking you really did go rogue would put you up against Teng and Raymond which would have great dramatic potential. Throw in an across the lines romance subplot with Teng even.

I'm saying that Sleeping Dogs 2 with more Wei is absolutely possible from a story perspective. This game had a good story, and you can build upon it to expand and deepen it rather than starting from scratch with something new.

gently caress. I really want this now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wei likes to hit on women. Bitches don't handle his style.

This sometimes backfires.

No now he wants to hit on his coworker but she saw his pink band and now Wei's scared she mistook him for a homosexual rather than someone merely supporting their rights and lifestyle. :ohdear:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Man, part of me wishes they would really capitalize on the DLC trend and pump out a director's cut ala Mass Effect that adds in the stuff they didn't have time to include. More costumes and stuff is okay, but I'd love some more story.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Naky posted:

So while most of it was on sale, I bought all the DLC out for the game and fired it up to try it out and jesus christ am I ever disappointed with Zodiac Tournament. Was it just me, or did they absolutely and totally not resolve Yu's 'trickery' of giving you the tea? She literally disappears into thin air after she walks off and there's no resolution to it, comments about it, etc. Am I missing something or is this just their way of working around not fighting women in this game or something? Even so, they should still have mentioned something about it IMO. Beyond that, too stinking short, and pretty freaking lame. The MMA fight was especially lame under the tea's influence. Not hard so much as it was just a grind-it-out affair.

I think the double cross thing is, like the rest of the DLC, just a throwback to 70's/80's kung fu movies - Random damsel in distress who was secretly working for the badguys the whole time! She had an eye patch, jeez.

I agree it was short and after Nightmare in North Point, which was great, it felt like it was lacking - but at the same time, it was also half the price of NINP I think? I enjoyed it anyway.

(ps - the fight when you're under tea's influence took me like 20-30 seconds. You're the second person to complain about it in this thread, but I don't get why it was a "grind")

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thievery posted:

(ps - the fight when you're under tea's influence took me like 20-30 seconds. You're the second person to complain about it in this thread, but I don't get why it was a "grind")

It took me like 5 minutes, being able to actually take poo poo off his health bar like about once a minute.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It took me like 5 minutes, being able to actually take poo poo off his health bar like about once a minute.

But you just counter him like once and then beat him to death after :confused:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thievery posted:

But you just counter him like once and then beat him to death after :confused:

For whatever reason it took me 3 tries of that per counter in order to actually take a point off his health bar. Maybe I was supposed to use those fancy combos I can never remember? :shrug:

Thievery posted:

But the only combo's are variations of X and hold X!

I might have bugged it or something then, I dunno. It was over really quick for me anyway, he was blocking me for the first couple of seconds until I lay off and countered him once or twice, then I was just able to wail on him. Looked like he was trying to block but it was like the brawler enemies, he just got stunned out of it.

It's the timing that I can't do. In training I have to focus hard for things like X, Hold X, X, X or other similar variations. I have to press slowly and deliberately in order to not gently caress that up. In combat surrounded by ten guys? Forget it, I'm too nervewracked and distracted.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 7, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

But the only combo's are variations of X and hold X!

I might have bugged it or something then, I dunno. It was over really quick for me anyway, he was blocking me for the first couple of seconds until I lay off and countered him once or twice, then I was just able to wail on him. Looked like he was trying to block but it was like the brawler enemies, he just got stunned out of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I missing something with the street racing missions? The other racers all seem to go twice as fast as me and shrug off being knocked into walls and buildings like it was nothing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did I just swagger into a night club, sing Johnny Cash and then beat someone to death with a fish.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I missing something with the street racing missions? The other racers all seem to go twice as fast as me and shrug off being knocked into walls and buildings like it was nothing.

Try a different car, and also play dirty by smashing into them.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
They are faster than you, but the AI is horrible at driving. Drive recklessly (don't avoid contact) and slow down for turns. The races in this game are actually really easy, just hold the accelerator until you hit a turn, lay off it for most of the turn, then slam it again. The fast motorcycle races get annoying sometimes, you really need to lay off the accelerator sometimes, as your bike just has way too much power.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

How have there been 3 posts about racing and not one word with the proper advice

:rice: Drift like your life depended on it :rice:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Did I just swagger into a night club, sing Johnny Cash and then beat someone to death with a fish.

Yeah but were you wearing a giant novelty pig helmet the whole time??

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sakurazuka posted:

Only ever do races with the fastest vehicle in a class (the most expensive one). You can't win with a vehicle that isn't fast enough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god leg break why did I unlock that ability it's horrible what did I think it would do to them :gonk:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh god leg break why did I unlock that ability it's horrible what did I think it would do to them :gonk:

Just wait till you get Arm Break. Then the real party starts! :getin:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

K8.0 posted:

Only ever do races with the fastest vehicle in a class (the most expensive one). You can't win with a vehicle that isn't fast enough.

Except you can, as this is what I did in every case.

Races in this are easy, you just have to not hit things. Slow down for turns that are more than 30 degrees, you'll end up going faster. Don't use the handbrake if you can help it!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cirofren posted:

Looks like that guy might have misunderstood how the duck's healing properties work :v:

Apply directly to the head!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So are the carjacking missions infinitely generated? I'm trying to find/do "everything" I can before starting along on the next set of story missions but get the feeling I'm running myself in circles.

RandallODim posted:

Just wait till you get Arm Break. Then the real party starts! :getin:

:saddowns:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

So are the carjacking missions infinitely generated? I'm trying to find/do "everything" I can before starting along on the next set of story missions but get the feeling I'm running myself in circles.
They only last until you've got one of everything, I believe?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Stealing cars for Jackie's Uncle will end eventually. Carjacking those armored cars will not.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

poptart_fairy posted:

:saddowns:

There are 20 carjacking missions. The best thing is that you can make the call to add one to the map, then ignore it and play the game. You'll probably run across it naturally in the course of your adventure, which is more fun than making a special trip.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Excellent, thanks guys. Similarly, I assume you never change apartment? I've just done the "there aren't as many guns here as in the US" mission (kinda trippy...) and finished all the activities in North Point. I was planning to do all the others across the city when I moved to that area, but if you stay in one place then I'll just go ahead and do them now.

Incidentally, holy gently caress I just did one of the most vile things I've ever done in a game - after Tiffany confronts you about cheating on her (or you on her, tit for tit stuff) I reflexively tackle punched her to the ground then broke her leg, just like I've done with every other NPC I can do it to. It was so horrible but jesus christ I am laughing my loving head off and I wish I knew why. :laffo:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
You get an apartment in each of the areas later in the story.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, just discovered that, haha.

And gently caress whoever thought giving other races an artificial boost in speed would be good design. I keep losing A ranks because of a last minute boost from opponents I'm otherwise beating. It's horse poo poo.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I have very little skill when it comes to racing games but I've found races to be easy as hell even in A-Rank, mainly due to my human-only ability to ram the other ones off the road.

Even in bike races, while I may have to restart a few times, races in general are painlessly short and half the time the computer sabotages themselves. For the first 30% I might be in 4th place then all of a sudden the 3 ahead of me crash and I make out like a bandit, cruising the rest of the race with no one on my rear end :c00l:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The AI doesn't even try to take racing lines through corners, they just barrel through and hit eachother. I haven't really seen much of the rubber banding that people have been talking about. I've won races that I've gotten a lead about half way through with the AI never catching me from there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I bought this during the Holiday sale and finally got around to trying it. Or at least I want to, but for some reason the game's resolution is set to 74hz refresh mode. My monitor has a refresh of 60 hz and no matter how much I scroll, there is only options for 74hz or 75hz refresh.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? Is there maybe a settings file I can edit to make it refresh at 60hz perhaps?

[edit] Oh wait, there is one 60hz option, 1280x960... but my monitor is 1440x900 :psyduck:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 10, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Incidentally, holy gently caress I just did one of the most vile things I've ever done in a game - after Tiffany confronts you about cheating on her (or you on her, tit for tit stuff) I reflexively tackle punched her to the ground then broke her leg, just like I've done with every other NPC I can do it to. It was so horrible but jesus christ I am laughing my loving head off and I wish I knew why. :laffo:

I did that too. She's like "we're through wei!!" and I went "well gently caress you too bitch" and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head. I guess I killed her? Dunno.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did that too. She's like "we're through wei!!" and I went "well gently caress you too bitch" and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head. I guess I killed her? Dunno.

I hit her with my car then backed ever her corpse. No regrets. :mensrights:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I got this in the brief window when it was accidentally 91% off in the Steam sale. I apparently need to turn down all the graphics settings because it was insanely laggy in the opening cutscene - the sound was all messed up to the point where alt-tabbing out and killing it was preferable. But before I go back and see if that helps, how can I assign my movement controls to the arrow keys? It wouldn't let me do that.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it's not urgent because I cannot play this game until I do a major upgrade to my system. It's too graphically intensive.

:downs: Oh hey maybe the hung application quietly eating 46% of my CPU might have something to do with it. EDIT 2: Yeah, that would be why it was performing badly. It is now performing well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 11, 2013

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Has anyone had problems with the second the last mission and pressing shift when you're supposed to pull yourself up not working? It's totally not working for me now and it's pissing me off. I Googled and someone else had the same problem but nobody replied to them :/

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't hurt her, but I threw her boyfriend in the trunk of my car and then drove around, following her and honking my horn like crazy. Pretty realistic game.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Cuatal posted:

Has anyone had problems with the second the last mission and pressing shift when you're supposed to pull yourself up not working? It's totally not working for me now and it's pissing me off. I Googled and someone else had the same problem but nobody replied to them :/

Happened to me too. Remap the free run key to something more responsive - I had to put it on one of my mouse buttons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have just hit a pole in a car moving very, very quickly, and Wei shot out of the windshield and just kept sailing through the air, unaffected by gravity, right out of the game world and into blank space, yelling in terror the whole way.

The glitches in this game are almost the best part of it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

melon cat posted:

The combat system really shows its true beauty when you unlock all of the other moves. Find those jade statues ASAP!

Ah so that's how you unlock more moves. I'll look that up, thanks!

• Locked thread