Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Trujillo posted:

There's always going to be a few clans with a runaway lead early on. It's almost like random clans get some kind of lucky clan bonus like in eu3 because I've even seen Honma take over north Japan.

Really? I've never seen them do anything really, although they do tend to last a long time; I've seen them eat half a dozen stacks and come off it no worse for wear. What difficulty are you playing at? I haven't gotten far past hard; maybe the AI only does frequent sea invasions on harder difficulties.

Has anybody actually had Tokugawa survive for any length of time, let alone become a power? They always get wiped out first or second in every game I've tried. Funny considering they were the historical victors, although I guess that might be part of why CA made it so difficult for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I just had the most exciting battle ever in N:TW. Egypt campaign, pretty late, suddenly some bedouins decide to attack alexandria. It's occupied by a token 1 militia unit. 4 stacks of citizens spawn, and I crap my pants.

However, they only took 1 squad of (melee) infantry (and 10 squads of cavalry). I hide in a building, kill their infantry, wait 60 minutes and win. :downs:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

Really? I've never seen them do anything really, although they do tend to last a long time; I've seen them eat half a dozen stacks and come off it no worse for wear. What difficulty are you playing at? I haven't gotten far past hard; maybe the AI only does frequent sea invasions on harder difficulties.

Has anybody actually had Tokugawa survive for any length of time, let alone become a power? They always get wiped out first or second in every game I've tried. Funny considering they were the historical victors, although I guess that might be part of why CA made it so difficult for them.

I was surprised too. They had 8 or 9 provinces before I had to give up on the campaign. It was on legendary, and I remember in a different campaign as Date on very hard I had to race a full stack of theirs to the last Mogami(the red at the top northwest) city so maybe the ai is more aggressive with naval landings on the harder settings.

And I can't remember ever seeing Tokugawa, Mori, Shimazu or Hattori survive in vanilla. I've seen all the other major clans become medium sized before being taken down by someone bigger. Wonder if there's a mod that gives some of the other clans a chance.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Trujillo posted:

And I can't remember ever seeing Tokugawa, Mori, Shimazu or Hattori survive in vanilla. I've seen all the other major clans become medium sized before being taken down by someone bigger. Wonder if there's a mod that gives some of the other clans a chance.

In my current Legendary game of vanilla, the Mori are monsters with 15 provinces, the Hattori have 8 and the Shimazu 6. The Tokugawa are non-existent though...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In the vanilla campaign it seems like it's a diceroll whether the Oda or the Tokugawa win their little initial war. If the Oda win they either expand a lot further and become monsters or get killed by the Imagawa rolling in after the Tokugawa die.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Empire: Total War

424 hours played

Am I a bad person? :ohdear:

I've only started using mods for the last 50 hours or so.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Welp, that's 2 for 2 on normal difficulty too. Time to find another clan to try to play vanilla S2 with. Tried a Shimazu campaign again, destroyed the Oti (your starting enemies) relatively quickly but this time the Otomo came out of nowhere and kept destroying anyone on that side of Japan I wanted to ally within a year or so each time. He had about the same amount of provices as me (3) as I declared war on them but all of a sudden after winter passes, he's two ahead and a doomstack of veterans show up on my front door and annihilate my daiymo and his family in two seasons. :wtc:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Chosokabe are probably the easiest clan to play in the vanilla campaign.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

I kinda don't feel like playing the Japanese version of England though, not again.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gimnbo posted:

If you can win your first couple of wars as the Shimazu you're virtually unstoppable, since Kyushu is incredibly easy to hold. Shikoku has a lot more fronts to worry about. Not to mention that as the Shimazu you have instant access to 2/3rds of the trade routes.

What clans do people generally play? Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever started on the east side of the map...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Koramei posted:

If you can win your first couple of wars as the Shimazu you're virtually unstoppable, since Kyushu is incredibly easy to hold. Shikoku has a lot more fronts to worry about. Not to mention that as the Shimazu you have instant access to 2/3rds of the trade routes.

What clans do people generally play? Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever started on the east side of the map...

My first game was as the Date but I abandoned that because I got sick of having to walk everywhere.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My first game was Hojo. I converted to Christianity as soon as was possible and had an amazing campaign. The Mori were able to claim the Shogunate while I was reenforcing my position in the north, so after some quick diplomacy with the Oda, the only real power left in central Japan, we formed an alliance and move to stop the Mori. 2 Oda, 2 Hojo and 3 Mori stacks met not far from Moni Province. The Mori stacks contained only Samurai, while mine contained loads of artillery and cavalry. Que the Mori taking the defensive on top of a nice big hill. My cannons have a field day. The battle was epic, most of the Oda ashigaru were put to flight but at the end when Hojo stood ontop of the hill amid the waves of bodies, Oda stood with him much depleted. This happened in my first ever campaign.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've seen a rather interesting strategy for the Mori (I suppose it works with any clan though), especially for Legendary difficulty: Leave your home province and relocate to Kyushu as fast as possible, take out the Otomo, convert to Christianity, build a bunch of Nanban trade ships, rule the seas and block off anyone from even entering your little island forever.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

I've tried Shimazu, Otomo, Date, Ikko Ikki and Oda. Only got fairly far with Shimazu, where I struggled to keep my trade routes until I got Nanban ships, at which point I ruled the seas, had ungodly amounts of money coming in, and got bored and stopped playing.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

My first game was as the Date but I abandoned that because I got sick of having to walk everywhere.

There's actually a trick with boats that you can use to move an army from one end of the map to the other in a turn. Make a chain of the cheapest ship (can't remember if it's bow koboyas or trade ships) placing each ship within range of the ship before and after it but close enough to the end of their range. Move an army from a port onto ship A and them move ship A to ship B. Disband ship A and move ship B to Ship C and repeat. Only thing is you can't do it with your daimyo onboard. It'll say the ship can't be disbanded. If you end the chain in a port you can even march the army in the same turn. Useful if you've got a weaponsmith/armory city that you're churning your army out of that's far behind the front or if you're Date and it takes 2+ years to move an army anywhere.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah get used to doing a lot of ferrying about with your troops if you want to stay ahead if you play an eastern Japanese clan in Shogun 2.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I found all of the factions very same-ish, even the Ikko-Ikki. Absorb large enemy siege, counterattack undefended castle, absorb large enemy siege, counterattack undefended castle...until you get a couple of large, good quality stacks and roll over everything.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

Does Total War AI still not know that islands exist and that they should be invaded?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
No they launch naval invasions all the time. You will sink many full stacks being transported on a few bow koboyas

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Does Total War AI still not know that islands exist and that they should be invaded?

Actually, it pretty much adores naval invasions and will quite happily punish you for failing to protect your coasts.

The Chosokabe are the easiest due to the extra killing power of their archers, their boost to income from farming which helps prevent food stall out and the fact that they only need to worry about one front until they have got on their feet and can then invade the softest target on Japan without fear of having another clan declare war on them, as the computer very rarely declares war on a non-adjacent clan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Reinstalling Empire on Steam, I feel as though I have made a terrible mistake :ohdear: thankfully if it is bad I can just play Europa Barbaroum. :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Reinstalling Empire on Steam, I feel as though I have made a terrible mistake :ohdear: thankfully if it is bad I can just play Europa Barbaroum. :)

As much as it gets poked at in this thread, It isn't going to be a horrible eye melting experince. We're just really bitter.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Think I'm about to call it quits with this Shogun 2 campaign. Takeda took over the Shogunate and now the half of Japan I haven't conquered has declared war on me. Totally not feeling spending and hour or 2 per turn because the AI wants to poo poo out doomstacks nonstop.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have happened sooner or later. Maybe you should use your navy to land troops at abandoned castles and try to hold out with small stacks.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So I'm playing as England in Medieval 2. I own the entire island, and am working on France. I haven't even "met" Portugal, yet out of the blue they land an army of A Peasant on the shores of Caernarvon and declare war on me.

why

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So I'm playing as England in Medieval 2. I own the entire island, and am working on France. I haven't even "met" Portugal, yet out of the blue they land an army of A Peasant on the shores of Caernarvon and declare war on me.

why

In Medieval 2 the answer is "Because you were there". If the AI can see you, it hates you. It's fun like that!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sieges are not fun. Thinking of building siege factories or whatever, as right now I am mostly relying on archers to whittle down the defenders until they're out of ammo, then storm in. Thank god bow samurai are decent at melee and are still useful.

Real curious though, are the first set of walls always going to be a super bitch? I haven't really assaulted anything except a Tenshu + courtyard and walls, but I'm guessing even onagers/cannons shooting the walls doesn't help much? It seems like my only options are climb the walls and lose men or sabotage/burn the gates open and then meatgrinder my way in.

I sort of miss siege -> make battering rams -> assault -> make multiple holes -> climb through, bait defenders and flank them with attackers coming out of other holes.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
For Shogun sieges you have a number of options. Most obvious and easiest is to bring a shitload of troops so the combat resolution is massively in your favour and auto-resolve it. You can make siege weapons, although they are of limited use because they can't be moved. However, blowing up walls and gates not only gives you easier access (I think destroyed walls cause less casualties for climbers, but I'm not sure), but destroying them kills anyone on them, causing loads of casualties in a unit. It's just that once the walls and gates are down the enemy are tough to hit. Fire rockets cause massive damage but scatter like crazy so are unreliable unless the enemy has a LOT of troops. If you are Hojo or have Radious, hand mortars are the best option since they are very accurate and cause a lot of damage.

Failing that, just spread your troops out, climb multiple walls at the same time and use unengaged units to either make flank attacks or better yet make a dash for the centre and end the siege quickly. Back them up with archers shooting up any units in the open and you should come away with less-then-crippling losses.

Rise is the same but without the siege options. Fall you have powerful guns and possibly a naval bombardment, so you can blow the enemy to hell and back and then order a mass charge through the now-shattered gates and hopefully the demoralised enemy will break quickly. I like to keep a couple of units of katana kachi to lead the charge as they'll rip all but the most elite infantry to pieces and have the armour to shrug off fire from the tattered remnants of the enemy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Dear Rome Total Realism Platinum v1.9.

I've been playing you, on and off, for the better part of 2 years now; backing up saves when the 15 full stacks of phalanxes on my border started to look too daunting, and reinstalling when I'd had enough of a break.

gently caress you. I win.

Seriously, though, it's a great little mod; the changes to units (++ morale and +++ defense) means that low-level infantry no longer disintegrate the minute a phalanx spear touches them, and fatigue management strategies suddenly are very important. There's huge numbers of new units and tactical battles are excellent. The only flaws are the (typical) modder's urge to extend the map and add a huge amount of additional cities, which turns the endgame into a boring slog, and a strange recruiting system whereby a series of buildings that require about 20 turns to complete must be constructed in order to recruit all of your nation's units. That being said, you can mod the buildings file to reduce the number of turns required to construct these, making it much more tolerable. I also like the fact that what troops you can recruit is no longer limited by settlement size; the limiting factor is upkeep costs, allowing you to play with the cool units whenever you wish, but without completely running rampant in your first few turns.

Anyone else still play this mod? If you have Rome and the Barbarian Invasion expansion, I'd definitely recommend it.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Heh, extending the map was literally the first thing my comodders wanted us to do when we started on rtr. I don't know if they changed it again after I left around 1.6 but it wasn't that large I think, farthest border was modern day Iran I believe. Oh and the recruiting system sucked and I fought that stuff tooth and nail :/

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have any advice on naval battles, particularly for the later era games? I've been playing through Fall of the Samurai, and while I can crush land battles pretty decisively (except for stupid castle assaults), I can almost never beat auto-resolve for naval battles now that I have ships with cannons and broadsides and exploding.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have any advice on naval battles, particularly for the later era games? I've been playing through Fall of the Samurai, and while I can crush land battles pretty decisively (except for stupid castle assaults), I can almost never beat auto-resolve for naval battles now that I have ships with cannons and broadsides and exploding.

Auto resolve for Fots has been terribly unreliable for me. Even with massive superiority you're likely to lose some heavy ships against all odds. I think you gotta bite the bullet and be prepared to keep losing and repairing your navies OR you manually play some of the more important battles. The naval ai in Fots seems to be completly broken and in my games doesn't do anything until my ships cross into range, from where I can pound their fleet from the T and kill them all with no losses.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Research explosive shells. Or get yourself a European Frigate.

Naval battles in FotS are absolutely awful and consist of whoever can make the other side's ships catch fire and explode first winning.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I did finally get explosive shells, so I'll give it another go, but I find I can't keep more than 2-3 of my ships in range of theirs, while they do a much better job kiting and keeping all their ships firing constantly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcturas posted:

I did finally get explosive shells, so I'll give it another go, but I find I can't keep more than 2-3 of my ships in range of theirs, while they do a much better job kiting and keeping all their ships firing constantly.

Get the Radious Naval mod tweak when you finally give up and are tired of crewing ships full of petrol soaked cowards. It makes Naval combat in FOTS more solid.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty early on in a FOTS campaign, and in a naval battle one of my gunboats just decides to route for no reason.

Come back here you fucker

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm pretty early on in a FOTS campaign, and in a naval battle one of my gunboats just decides to route for no reason.

My first frigate, the most expensive ship you can get bar the foreign specials, ate its very fist cannon ball in the ammo store.

*boom*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Gunboats are weird little things that really are more useful as a campaign scout or desperate boarding fodder.

Or hilarious suicide spam with Torpedo Boats!

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Is it normal for everyone to hate you and invade you constantly as Ikko Ikki or am I just doing an unusually bad job diplomatically? Not that I'm complaining, it means I'm fighting for something besides my own imperialism, and can feel bad for my men without being a hypocrite. Also means that after taking 2 provinces, bringing my total to 4, Oda and Takeda, probably the two most powerful clans on the mainland at the moment, both declared war on me and now I'm pretty much just fighting for survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
I'm on my first Shogun 2 campaign, and I'm a little unclear on realm divide. Does it only apply to you, or will the Shogunate come down hard on AI clans as well? 'Cause there's a western clan with about 15 provinces, and I wouldn't mind seeing them taken down a peg.