Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
We had an issue with our C300 today. It quit during a take, wouldn't recover, and then gave us a hard time because it never built the index file for import.

We ended up taking it through XDCam Transfer.

Have you guys had this happen to you before and if so, is there an easy way to rebuild the index from the MXF files themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
I unfortunately don't have any advice to impart but I just wanted to drop in on that note to say that I really dislike the C300 and I'm amazed that people are buying/renting it in droves. It's like, the F-3 is cheaper and way better for that range of the camera market, why in God's name...

I really hope you can recover your footage.

On a separate note, The Trailers for Oblivion and After Earth came out last weekend, both are the first two features shot on the F65. Both movies are very effects heavy so you have to keep a sharp eye out, but the footage I see looks really great. It has a very different feel from anything I've seen before.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/oblivion/
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/after-earth/trailers/earth-trailer-1-170245149.html

Also check out this tech demo short film for the F55. watch the version you can download from this page, very impressive.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/after-earth/trailers/earth-trailer-1-170245149.html

Sorry this is all sounding like a Sony ad, but they've been on a big push the past couple of weeks and it's looking pretty good.

EDIT: PS I hate Yahoo's video player, but it's the highest quality source so far.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 11, 2012

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I hear what you're saying and the ACs seem to agree. I'm just doing the media management, but yeah, we did manage to get the footage back. I thought the DP was gonna kiss me when I told him that.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

I hear what you're saying and the ACs seem to agree. I'm just doing the media management, but yeah, we did manage to get the footage back. I thought the DP was gonna kiss me when I told him that.

What did you end up using to rebuild the file? I had a hard time finding many tools that could work with MXF files when I was looking a while back.

Here's a trailer for After Earth with an HD stream:
http://www.nerdist.com/2012/12/welcome-to-after-earth-with-will-and-jaden-smith/

I've spent a good deal of time in the redwoods where they shot parts of this, and it can be pretty hard not to lose a lot of detail in the highlights or shadows depending on how the light's coming through the branches. The F65 looks like it held up pretty well in some difficult situations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SquareDog posted:

I unfortunately don't have any advice to impart but I just wanted to drop in on that note to say that I really dislike the C300 and I'm amazed that people are buying/renting it in droves. It's like, the F-3 is cheaper and way better for that range of the camera market, why in God's name...

I really hope you can recover your footage.

On a separate note, The Trailers for Oblivion and After Earth came out last weekend, both are the first two features shot on the F65. Both movies are very effects heavy so you have to keep a sharp eye out, but the footage I see looks really great. It has a very different feel from anything I've seen before.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/oblivion/

Also check out this tech demo short film for the F55. watch the version you can download from this page, very impressive.

Sorry this is all sounding like a Sony ad, but they've been on a big push the past couple of weeks and it's looking pretty good.

EDIT: PS I hate Yahoo's video player, but it's the highest quality source so far.

I believe The Evil Dead remake coming out next year was also shot on the F65 and I think it looks absolutely spectacular with that style of cinematography. I think this shows it off much better than After Earth and Oblivion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBXUyuv4Q0

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, Evil Dead was shot on a F65. Tech specs listed on IMDb:

quote:

Camera
Sony CineAlta F65, Zeiss Master Prime and Fujinon Alura Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
SRMemory

Cinematographic process
Digital Intermediate (master format)
F65 RAW (4K) (source format)

Printed film format
35 mm

Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How about some DIY misadventures?

I saw something like this slider on a shoot this past summer and thought 'Hey, I could build that if I had a welder!' So when I went home for Christmas, my dad let me borrow the welder and I proceeded to gently caress up my welds.

I thought automotive underbody liner would be the only thing that would stick to galvanized steel. It's not holding up too well.

Assembled after some extra work.

Alignment issues, but it still rolls smooth. I've also made a mid-section support, so if I wanted in the future I can run two pieces of 10' conduit. Hopefully not a waste of (so far) $50.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
What was your total cost?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Looks great to me. I built the DIY dolly from the ikea ladder but something like this is way more portable. You might want to build a stopper at each end so the camera doesn't fly off though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think my overall cost will be around $80-90 after I pick up a set of skate wheels with bearings. I was borrowing the wheels from a dolly setup for the tests.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Not bad at all. I built a skateboard dolly some years back and spent over $200, but I tend to overdo things. I remember the wheels being stupid expensive.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I built one using skateboard trucks to hold my wheels, but ended up switching from skateboard wheels to rollerblade wheels. Skate wheels are really wide and I noticed it introduced some bumps from my imperfect track. Rollerblade wheels have a much thinner edge that touches the track and it really smoothed out the motion.

The bearings are exactly the same, so if you've shelled out for nice ones you haven't wasted your money, just pop them out of the skate wheels and into rollerblade wheels.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
GENTLEMEN, I work for a rental house in Hollywood called Division camera and we've started a tech blog going and they have me writing for it, initially at least. We got just a couple posts up to far, one about the impending Sony F5 and F55 and the other is about the new Red beta firmware. If you'll notice the F5/F55 write-up is based on what I originally wrote here in this thread last month, but much expanded. Check it out! https://filmicdigital.com

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

SquareDog posted:

GENTLEMEN, I work for a rental house in Hollywood called Division camera and we've started a tech blog going and they have me writing for it, initially at least. We got just a couple posts up to far, one about the impending Sony F5 and F55 and the other is about the new Red beta firmware. If you'll notice the F5/F55 write-up is based on what I originally wrote here in this thread last month, but much expanded. Check it out! https://filmicdigital.com

Haha no poo poo, I was at that rental house last summer. It's a great spot. Good articles on the blog.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any involvement with reality TV so I don't know how much this reflects the broader experience, but it's pretty crazy. The History Channel and Red Line films apparently gave their new reality show's star complete responsibility for and control of logistics, safety, and a lot of other things they probably should have had nothing at all to do with.

http://i-was-waving-not-drowning.tumblr.com/post/39847297986/reality-tvs-risk-reward

Some choice quotes:

quote:

On “Bamazon,” the star of the show was given complete control of the production’s budget. A person with ZERO experience in producing a dangerous television program in an extraordinarily inhospitable environment was given $1.6 million to handle the production logistics.

quote:

The star of “Bamazon” had already been dropping the ball left and right over the course of the production. He didn’t bother with a risk assessment or put together a medical evacuation plan until the day before we left the U.S. to begin filming. Once on location he had left two of my camera crews stranded in the jungle without food, water or transportation for several days.

quote:

The evacuation plan that the star had submitted turned out to be falsified. He had simply cut and pasted names and numbers from the web — never bothering to line up hospitals, medical evacuation, transportation out of the jungle or proper medical care. He had promised that there were Medivac helicopters on standby. He put in fake names and numbers of local hospitals, counting on the fact that we would never need them. And History and Red Line chose to ignore all the correspondence regarding his incompetence, opting instead to “hope for the best.”

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
One of my first paid jobs was on an unaired MTV reality show. I definitely wouldn't say the "talent," had any control over any logistics/budget, but it was certainly a crazy experience and one I wouldn't want to do again. There was probably more drama behind the camera than in front of it. The DP quit halfway through production and the tech supervisor quit on almost the last day. I felt pretty bad for all the cam ops. Shallow DoF with lots of hand held.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Vinestalk posted:

Shallow DoF with lots of hand held.

You sure they didn't just put it on Vimeo with all the other hand-held 50m 1.8 stuff?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure MTV buried the hard drives with Jimmy Hoffa's corpse after realizing someone made a reality TV show worse than Teen Mom. I don't think they could have picked a worse subject. In fairness to the cam ops, it looked loving spectacular and the DP was genuinely amazing.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

powderific posted:

I don't have any involvement with reality TV so I don't know how much this reflects the broader experience, but it's pretty crazy. The History Channel and Red Line films apparently gave their new reality show's star complete responsibility for and control of logistics, safety, and a lot of other things they probably should have had nothing at all to do with.

http://i-was-waving-not-drowning.tumblr.com/post/39847297986/reality-tvs-risk-reward

Some choice quotes:

I watch that show, very interesting article. I linked it on the Bamazon Facebook page. We'll see how long it stays there for. :P

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As interesting as working on a reality TV show like that would be, I'd have serious second thoughts if I learned some backwoods retard was in charge of my safety.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
The guy sounds like a pussy. I've been on a shoot just like that and after we found out they didn't actually have any health insurance for the crew we stayed at the hotel until they fired us. But I'm not going to go on tumblr and snitch like a bastard.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's a lady for one. And two, the issue is that they claimed to have things like health insurance, medical plans, etc., but didn't, so they were hosed when something went wrong.

Also, if the production company gives so few fucks about your safety, it hardly seems like talking about it on Tumblr is somehow dishonorable. Seems like a bit of misguided loyalty. Why would you worry about covering up for a company that barely cares if you die on a shoot?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

powderific posted:

Well, it's a lady for one. And two, the issue is that they claimed to have things like health insurance, medical plans, etc., but didn't, so they were hosed when something went wrong.

Also, if the production company gives so few fucks about your safety, it hardly seems like talking about it on Tumblr is somehow dishonorable. Seems like a bit of misguided loyalty. Why would you worry about covering up for a company that barely cares if you die on a shoot?

Agreed - I'd do both, really.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

powderific posted:

Yeah dragging a company's name through the mud when that company put all of their crew at risk of injury or death is not in any way "unprofessional", they deserve to have no one work with them again.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

I field produced on a single season backcountry adventure show and it was scary as all hell and we were as protected as you could be. We had a head of safety, with 3 certified mountain guides reporting to him, paramedic on set at all times, full on transpo and helis and still...
Producer nearly fell out of truck, Producer blew knee jumping out of boat, 3 contestants went hypothermic, one crew member left behind when out of radio contact, rock the size of refrigerator (knocked loose by PA) falls 60 feet between lead camera and lead contestent, show director and producer and 11 contestants stuck on top of glacier for two days because cloud cover blocked the heli, overnighting with contestants and careless crew send us a tub of salmon covered dirty dishes instead of our dinner, hike a Km up the road and dump them in a ditch so the grizzlies that are all around us don't come any closer. All in all it was the best show I ever worked on, even with all of that, and even with going 36 hours straight on set.

That said the safety guy could and did shut down the entire set if and when he felt we were getting carried away. Stopped 60 people in their tracks until things were fixed to his standards. That's what you need, one guy on safety that can shut the whole thing down and still keep his job. Production people become morons in pursuit of a good shot or a good story point.

I finally jumped out of the reality career path when I was directing a family based reality show where we overload the participants. The overloaded family member got distracted in a parking lot and the 5 year old brother nearly got hit by an SUV. He ran across the path of SUV because he was trying to get to me and my AD. He thought my AD was the coolest guy in the world and wanted to talk to him.

No show is worth getting someone killed, but so many shows take that chance, even in mundane situations.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

After three years of shooting on the company owned Sony HDV Z1U I finally convinced them to purchase a brand new Sony FS700 with the metabones adapter and a array of L lenses. It came in right before my state-mandated non-paid two-week holiday vacation. This past week I get an offer and accept a new job doing salary work with paid benefits and health insurance. Annnddd I'll be shooting on a Z1U again. Sigh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'd take bennies and insurance and gleefully shoot on Hi8 if it came down to it.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

1st AD posted:

I'd take bennies and insurance and gleefully shoot on Hi8 if it came down to it.

Yeah but Hi8 is fun as hell

if you're just loving around with it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hey guys- I'm looking for a great action camera. I was considering the GoPro HD Hero3 Black Edition. Gizmodo gives it a pretty good rating, but Amazon's reviews leave me doubting Gizmodo. What are your thoughts on this camera?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

melon cat posted:

Hey guys- I'm looking for a great action camera. I was considering the GoPro HD Hero3 Black Edition. Gizmodo gives it a pretty good rating, but Amazon's reviews leave me doubting Gizmodo. What are your thoughts on this camera?

I didn't even know they had these issues until you linked this. I've been using mine with no problems since December. I will say this however – there is nothing I use the Hero3 for that I couldn't have accomplished with the Hero2. Low-light is much better (the record quality overall is a little better), and I do love having wireless capability, but that's about it. I will never realistically need a tiny action cam that shoots 4k cinema at a virtually unusable framerate.

If you need an action camera, GoPro is where it's at. Amazon's reviews are almost all firmware-related which I haven't had issue with, but you can expect them to ultimately be resolved; it's not like the build itself is faulty. Here's an actual pro/con from me: it uses the same accessories (so my LCD screen from the H2 works), but it's MicroSD only which I do not like at all.

Plan on buying the LCD screen.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slim Killington posted:

I didn't even know they had these issues until you linked this. I've been using mine with no problems since December. I will say this however – there is nothing I use the Hero3 for that I couldn't have accomplished with the Hero2. Low-light is much better (the record quality overall is a little better), and I do love having wireless capability, but that's about it. I will never realistically need a tiny action cam that shoots 4k cinema at a virtually unusable framerate.

This is exactly what I initially heard, which made me all :psyduck: when I read the Amazon reviews. Thanks for weighing in on things. I'll probably go with it, now.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

Plan on buying the LCD screen.

Yeah, the touch screen is something you'll end up buying, whether you like it or not. I wish the Narrow FoV was available in protune mode, but there's not much I can really complain about.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Right, it's all little things like that; nothing worth really griping over. For what we all like to use them for, GoPros are really good items to have in your kit. I should also recommend the Wasabi battery/charger two pack on Amazon, they really are almost better than the OEM batteries.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I love the hero 3 black. The 2.7k resolution is fantastic for warp stabilizing because you have plenty of resolution to let it zoom in without going soft like you would with a dslr. The battery life does suck though and the quality of the stills is pretty bad.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

My production company is currently writing a feature-length script and we are looking for someone to do a budget breakdown. We have a budget for a script doctor, legal docs, and the budget breakdown person, but I don't know who does this. Everything else is in place. This is so we can get a very close estimation of how much funding we need to raise. Do you guys have any leads? This is not a microbudget thing, it is a full on production.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

It sounds like you're looking for a production manager and/or a production coordinator? Is it a union show? Where are you guys located?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you're looking for specific names, but we used this guy to do a budget for a commercial series, and the main production company we work with uses him for documentary feature stuff: http://www.philipruddy.com/commercial.html

From my limited experience with him he seemed good.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

We are in MN, but may not necessarily be shooting here. All depends on budget which we can't determine ourselves due to our limited experience so we want to hire someone who does know what they are talking about. We are not union.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want to do it yourself, this is a decent start point.

http://www.mwp.com/filmschool/resources.php?partner=mwp&resource=budgets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

If you want to do it yourself, this is a decent start point.

http://www.mwp.com/filmschool/resources.php?partner=mwp&resource=budgets

That's really cool man, thanks for posting it.

To continue to throw my 2 cents in, https://www.scenechronize.com/ is a really neat breakdown site as well, all cloud based.