Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

rotaryfun posted:

It all seems to be more of a side effect caused by the process keeping the processor at a higher frequency. Since the processor doesn't have to ramp up because it's already at the higher frequency. You won't notice that lag time.

The reason I tie it to that is simply because several XDA and google employees have said that the only user that access that folder /dev/random is libcrypto, which is only tied to certain WEP_WPA and SSL tasks.

Is there a more legit way to keep the processor at a higher frequency? My Bionic lags painfully, but has seemed much more responsive since installing Seeder. If I can get the results without the superfluous stuff I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Gyshall posted:

I actually jumped onto Franco Kernel on CM10.1 last night and goddamn am I impressed with the battery life so far. Usually, my phone will be at ~70% battery by noon - right now I'm sitting on 94% still.

What does the Franco Kernel do that improves battery life so much? It seems to me if someone could make a kernel that really does improve things, that the CM Team would do it. I'm not willing to sacrifice things like my phone actually syncing my google account in the background just for a few extra hours of battery life that usually doesn't matter.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tunga posted:

I recommend you do it manually. You can follow this guide which I wrote for the GNex and just skip the parts about flashing the stock image since you're already on it. Make sure you use the correct CWM image for the Nexus 10, the filename will have "manta" in it. Otherwise it's identical to the steps for the GNex (or the N4 or the N7).

Yeah, that's a good point, manual it is. Probably good to get the rust off. Plus I'm enamored with the idea of a touchscreen recovery, so getting CWM Touch installed and using it a little sounds like fun. Thanks for the walkthrough!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Frozen-Solid posted:

What does the Franco Kernel do that improves battery life so much? It seems to me if someone could make a kernel that really does improve things, that the CM Team would do it. I'm not willing to sacrifice things like my phone actually syncing my google account in the background just for a few extra hours of battery life that usually doesn't matter.

My google account still syncs fine. I honestly don't know what the hell it changes, just that my battery life is much better. There is a full change log you can see before you flash if you use Franco.Updater.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gyshall posted:

I actually jumped onto Franco Kernel on CM10.1 last night and goddamn am I impressed with the battery life so far. Usually, my phone will be at ~70% battery by noon - right now I'm sitting on 94% still.

what the gently caress

Mister Snips posted:

My friend switched to cyanogen on his nexus 4 and i guess i might actually do that regardless of my disdain for it because he messaged me a battery graph with two and a half days on it and this is the best I can get

On my other phones cyanogen destroyed my battery life but holy gently caress at least on those phones i could not touch it and get more than two days of idle time out of the loving things

i guess i'm gonna switch to cyanogen :smithicide:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying Franco Kernel off and on with my Verizon GNex, and it seems that the phone is slow as hell with that kernel, as opposed to the included CM 10.1 one. No idea why, as it was fine before I switched to CM and it's fine on my Nexus 4.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Frozen-Solid posted:

It updates the kernel with fixes from qualcomm, fixes the msm_hsic_host wakelock problem (along with pretty much every other wakelock problem) along with tons of other stupid battery drain problems that the n4 has. Also some efficiency fixes that sacrifice a bit of smoothness (think iphone 4s instead of iphone 5) for loads more battery life while using apps. Also thermal management but i don't really play games so i can't comment on that

I'm also on franco kernel and i've been of the opinion that I hate hate hate custom kernels. But it works well enough that its a gigantic noticeable difference and the n4 is such a gigantic joke stock that it doesn't surprise me that custom kernels fix it

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Mister Snips posted:

i guess i'm gonna switch to cyanogen :smithicide:

The only thing that sucks about Cyanogen is that for major OS updates you have to wait an extra few weeks as they merge AOSP and their own changes, and then have to wait a few more weeks for some missing features from the previous CM to get merged. It's not as bad as waiting on OEMs, obviously, but it's still annoying.

Minor patches get released a few days quicker than stock though :haw:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Recently I flashed 10.1, then back to 10 because it wasn't stable enough for me and went back and forth a few times actually and now I have seriously like six nested /0 folders on my sd card. Would it hurt to combine everything into the first folder and get rid of the extra ones? I really have no idea how to fix this short of formatting it and starting over.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
You need to update your recovery version.

Get your latest from here: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

Flash via fastboot.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How long should I be waiting for my Nexus to boot back up after the unlock, CWM recovery flash, and factory reset from Tunga's method? It seems like it's taking a while. I booted it up to mess with it a little before I started the root process and updated to 4.2.1, do I need to clear the dalvik cache or something else?

Edit: Got it! Just had to factory reset from the STOCK recovery. Not to put CWM back on and flash SuperSu on.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 8, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Manky posted:

Would you mind going into that?

As for battery life, it's been as good or better than it normally is - a day and a half on one charge, instead of about 3/4 of a day.

To quote from the latest page of the app thread:

Tunga posted:

Assuming this is the same thing (it looks like it, but maybe there is some subtlety I'm missing), there was some discussion a few pages back.

Specifically this post, EBL's two replies, and this. I don't really understand this stuff in much detail and I don't know how exactly that app is working but what I took from EBL's posts is: be wary of random people on XDA claiming to have "fixed" something so easily.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

How long should I be waiting for my Nexus to boot back up after the unlock, CWM recovery flash, and factory reset from Tunga's method? It seems like it's taking a while. I booted it up to mess with it a little before I started the root process and updated to 4.2.1, do I need to clear the dalvik cache or something else?

Edit: Got it! Just had to factory reset from the STOCK recovery. Not to put CWM back on and flash SuperSu on.
That's odd, not sure what that's about. Hopefully like you got it working anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tunga posted:

That's odd, not sure what that's about. Hopefully like you got it working anyway.

Yeah, I don't know either. Maybe something to do with 4.2.1? I got everything sorted and working and all of my root apps installed. All that's left is to get some more apps on it and maybe change the font (to Zegoe).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've browsed through a bit of this thread and have a fairly basic question. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, there's just a lot of info here.

What is the difference between rooting and unlocking a phone? I'm going Thursday to pick up 2 SG Note 2s (on VZW) and I'm just trying to get some of the basics down. The last android device I played with was my galaxy tab and it's a brick thanks to my kerfuckery.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've browsed through a bit of this thread and have a fairly basic question. Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, there's just a lot of info here.

What is the difference between rooting and unlocking a phone? I'm going Thursday to pick up 2 SG Note 2s (on VZW) and I'm just trying to get some of the basics down. The last android device I played with was my galaxy tab and it's a brick thanks to my kerfuckery.

Rooting is the process of gaining system-level access to your phone (via the root account). Something like Superuser would install the program (su) granting that access and monitor usage of it.

Unlocking the bootloader means slightly different things for different phones. Usually it would allow you to install kernel and recovery images that are not signed (approved) by the carrier and/or manufacturer. I know the Verizon Note II shipped with a locked bootloader, no idea if that's been broken yet.

There's also SIM unlocking a phone, which allows it to use a SIM to connect to any mobile network. This mainly applies to GSM phones, I'm not familiar enough with LTE networks to know how those work.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

i barely GNU her! posted:

Rooting is the process of gaining system-level access to your phone (via the root account). Something like Superuser would install the program (su) granting that access and monitor usage of it.

Unlocking the bootloader means slightly different things for different phones. Usually it would allow you to install kernel and recovery images that are not signed (approved) by the carrier and/or manufacturer. I know the Verizon Note II shipped with a locked bootloader, no idea if that's been broken yet.

There's also SIM unlocking a phone, which allows it to use a SIM to connect to any mobile network. This mainly applies to GSM phones, I'm not familiar enough with LTE networks to know how those work.

Ok, so that actually sounds backwards from what I thought. So rooting seems to be slightly less invasive, can the Note 2 be rooted yet or is that still in the works?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Ok, so that actually sounds backwards from what I thought. So rooting seems to be slightly less invasive, can the Note 2 be rooted yet or is that still in the works?

Often with Samsung devices you can find a modified stock ROM which comes rooted, and I believe the hardware-level exploit (ExynosAbuse) also works for it, but I don't actually own one of them so I don't know.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Since it sounds like you dont know what the fucks up, Id recommend using the thing stock before trying to brick it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EbolaIvory posted:

Since it sounds like you dont know what the fucks up, Id recommend using the thing stock before trying to brick it.

No arguments there, was just trying to get my terms right so I could do some research.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

No arguments there, was just trying to get my terms right so I could do some research.

I have a good handful of friends with the note 2 and honestly none of them have a bunch of bullshit custom stuff on them. Even my most nerdy of nerd friends hasnt even rooted the loving thing yet, its just that solid.

Keep in mind, He dont mind touchwiz, but even then you can cover it up with launchers and poo poo. I honestly didnt mind touchwiz when I carried a samsung phone before. Hell even when using a custom launcher I still used touchwiz icons. I like em.

You on the old unlimited data? or tiered? Unlimited id totally say at least root and bang some tethering out on it. But beyond that and maybe titanium backup I dont see a need personally.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 8, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EbolaIvory posted:

I have a good handful of friends with the note 2 and honestly none of them have a bunch of bullshit custom stuff on them. Even my most nerdy of nerd friends hasnt even rooted the loving thing yet, its just that solid.

Keep in mind, He dont mind touchwiz, but even then you can cover it up with launchers and poo poo. I honestly didnt mind touchwiz when I carried a samsung phone before. Hell even when using a custom launcher I still used touchwiz icons. I like em.

You on the old unlimited data? or tiered? Unlimited id totally say at least root and bang some tethering out on it. But beyond that and maybe titanium backup I dont see a need personally.

Right now I have the unlimited plan, but I'll have to ditch it for a new 2 year contract which sucks. It's not a big deal, I've never even used 1gb of data since I got my iPhones. I'm almost always on Wifi and I don't expect that to change.

I'm not in a hurry to screw with the phone. It was fine to mess around with the tab, it was just a toy. I use my phone for 8-12 hours a day and it absolutely has to work. I bought a Nexus 7 to goof off with, but my wife fell in love with it. I only got to play with it for about a week, but it was nice and made me take another look at Android over iOS. I'm a pretty big Android noob so I don't mind working my way up to rooting/unlocking if I ever feel the need.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Right now I have the unlimited plan, but I'll have to ditch it for a new 2 year contract which sucks. It's not a big deal, I've never even used 1gb of data since I got my iPhones. I'm almost always on Wifi and I don't expect that to change.

I'm not in a hurry to screw with the phone. It was fine to mess around with the tab, it was just a toy. I use my phone for 8-12 hours a day and it absolutely has to work. I bought a Nexus 7 to goof off with, but my wife fell in love with it. I only got to play with it for about a week, but it was nice and made me take another look at Android over iOS. I'm a pretty big Android noob so I don't mind working my way up to rooting/unlocking if I ever feel the need.

And what phone do you have now? If its not 4g, take a second thought on losing unlimited. Id rather pay for another line on the account and save my unlimited than lose it at this point. 4g doubled my NORMAL usage which would of been over 2 gigs easily.

Either way, The phone you'll love. Its a great device.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

I was in the same position as you with a grandfathered data plan and I ended up buying the Note 2 off of Craigslist to keep unlimited.

I think it was worth it because 4g is faster than my lovely comcast wifi network at home, so I barely ever turn wifi on. Without unlimited, I wouldn't be able to do that without having to worry about my data usage. I don't even use excessive amounts of data because I don't tether too much or steam movies/shows on my phone, but it's nice not having to worry about that 2GB limit.

Obviously some people want unlimited more than others based on their own specific use case. But just make sure that you're comfortable with your decision because once you lose unlimited data, you're never getting it back.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks to those of you who pointed out franco kernel: it totally saved my rear end working on my phone (Sprint Samsung GNex) constantly today with no WiFi and limited charging ability.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

You can root the device and unlock the bootloader. Both flavors of custom recovery work on the device, and a bunch of Custom ROMs are available. My personal Note 2 is on ATT, but my friend has the Verizon Note 2, and he's successfully rooted, unlocked his bootloader, and installed CleanROM ACE 4. Just do your homework and you're fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just went to CM10.1 on my Galaxy Nexus but I'm having a problem. In Accounts > Google > [account], I don't have the option to enable Google+ sync so I can't turn on Instant Upload and the People app doesn't show my profile. e: This fixed itself I checked the Play Store and both Google Search and Google+ are current. I used the 12122012 GApps.

What am I doing wrong?

e: According to my wife who is on 4.2.1 stock on a Nexus 4 I should have Google+ and Instant Upload in that menu but I don't.

e2: Uninstalling and reinstalling G+ did the trick.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 8, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I just went to CM10.1 on my Galaxy Nexus but I'm having a problem. In Accounts > Google > [account], I don't have the option to enable Google+ sync so I can't turn on Instant Upload and the People app doesn't show my profile. e: This fixed itself I checked the Play Store and both Google Search and Google+ are current. I used the 12122012 GApps.

What am I doing wrong?

e: According to my wife who is on 4.2.1 stock on a Nexus 4 I should have Google+ and Instant Upload in that menu but I don't.

e2: Uninstalling and reinstalling G+ did the trick.

Looks like you fixed it but yes it's a problem with GApps prepackaging G+. Since Google is being stupid and tying things like the gallery and camera together, other apps that need direct access to Gallery freak the hell out. My crack flasher co-worker runs into this constantly and G+ is the big one. Killing G+ and reinstalling the Market version is really the only fix.

Edit: tl;dr Picasa sync is not present in GApps. Reinstalling G+ tricks it into working.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 8, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EbolaIvory posted:

And what phone do you have now? If its not 4g, take a second thought on losing unlimited. Id rather pay for another line on the account and save my unlimited than lose it at this point. 4g doubled my NORMAL usage which would of been over 2 gigs easily.

Either way, The phone you'll love. Its a great device.
Right now we each have an iPhone 4. Hers has a busted screen and my battery is failing. The wife really wants the new phones too, and what wifey wants wifey gets...:frogbon:

The Gadfly posted:

I was in the same position as you with a grandfathered data plan and I ended up buying the Note 2 off of Craigslist to keep unlimited.

I think it was worth it because 4g is faster than my lovely comcast wifi network at home, so I barely ever turn wifi on. Without unlimited, I wouldn't be able to do that without having to worry about my data usage. I don't even use excessive amounts of data because I don't tether too much or steam movies/shows on my phone, but it's nice not having to worry about that 2GB limit.

Obviously some people want unlimited more than others based on their own specific use case. But just make sure that you're comfortable with your decision because once you lose unlimited data, you're never getting it back.

I have 50mb access at my house and at work, it's more than fast enough for me. I hate the idea of getting rid of unlimited but in reality I have never used over 1.2GB of data. That was when I had just moved and tethered to the iPhone for internet on my laptop before my service got turned on. I can't justify the extra cost of keeping the unlimited plan alive.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My second Android device, a Razr Maxx HD (Verizon), should be arriving tomorrow. I know how to do most of these things, but I'm not sure of the correct order and I'm worried about screwing things up.

- Root phone
- Upgrade to JB using the leaked OTA upgrade
- Install apps

Is that the correct order, or should I upgrade before rooting? Also, this may not be the right thread for this, but while I'm here, how can I select a subset of the apps I have on Play to batch install? I definitely don't need them all, but I also don't want to have to click them one-by-one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just a quick heads up to those who were asking about CM10.1 and Franco - here is my battery use from today (Verizon Galaxy Nexus + Extended Battery):

I didn't have anything too major running today - mostly at my desk at work. This morning I was on Poweramp + Bluetooth headphones/Facebook/Instagram/Awful/Pulse/Goodnews for about 40 minutes on my way into work. At my desk I sent a few emails from my phone and about 30 texts.

On Stock CM10.1/4.2.1, I'd probably have to charge half way through the day or so, for what it is worth. I'm probably going to try tweaking some settings/clock settings to get a bit more smoothnesses out of my device, but as of right now it is the sweet spot between performance and battery life for me.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

How did you gain battery life without charging?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

UnbornApple posted:

How did you gain battery life without charging?

I have this problem with my SGS3. Whether on stock or running CleanROM, stock kernel or LeanKernel. It seems like the phone is naturally a bit derpy when attached to an AC charger. It hits the top and immediately starts slowly sliding down to roughly 80% battery while still attached to the charger. On a few occasions when I pull it off the charger it'll sit at 80% for a good 3-4 hours of usage and then start sliding down.

Is this a Samsung thing or a Jellybean thing? The Verizon SGS3 is on 4.1.1 if that matters.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I've never had any issues on my S3. On CyanogoenMod anyway, I didn't stay with touchwiz long enough for things like that to crop up. Also I remember reading somewhere that it's normal and intentional behaviour for devices to discharge back to 90% occasionally when completely charged and attached to AC.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

I have 50mb access at my house and at work, it's more than fast enough for me. I hate the idea of getting rid of unlimited but in reality I have never used over 1.2GB of data. That was when I had just moved and tethered to the iPhone for internet on my laptop before my service got turned on. I can't justify the extra cost of keeping the unlimited plan alive.

Yeah I would be tempted to do the same if I had access to 50Mb/s at home and work. By the way, if you have Tasker, you might want to set up some profiles to automatically turn on wifi at home and work, and turn it off otherwise. It might not be necessary considering the Note 2's battery life, but if you're really planning on using it for 12 hours a day you'll need all the help you can get.

I highly recommend rooting your phone. The first thing I would do is root, unlock, and freeze/remove all of the Verizon bloatware that you don't want. My total RAM usage went down about 300-400MB after freezing around 30 apps and processes that I'd never use. That alone makes rooting worth it. After that you could install a custom ROM, but I haven't felt the need to do that yet. I installed a custom launcher over the Touchwiz launcher and that works well enough for me. I recommend trying out Lightning Launcher, it's very lightweight (176k) and still very customizable (you can even use a grid-less layout if you so desire).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You can disable those apps in ICS and up without rooting.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

The Gadfly posted:

Yeah I would be tempted to do the same if I had access to 50Mb/s at home and work. By the way, if you have Tasker, you might want to set up some profiles to automatically turn on wifi at home and work, and turn it off otherwise. It might not be necessary considering the Note 2's battery life, but if you're really planning on using it for 12 hours a day you'll need all the help you can get.

I highly recommend rooting your phone. The first thing I would do is root, unlock, and freeze/remove all of the Verizon bloatware that you don't want. My total RAM usage went down about 300-400MB after freezing around 30 apps and processes that I'd never use. That alone makes rooting worth it. After that you could install a custom ROM, but I haven't felt the need to do that yet. I installed a custom launcher over the Touchwiz launcher and that works well enough for me. I recommend trying out Lightning Launcher, it's very lightweight (176k) and still very customizable (you can even use a grid-less layout if you so desire).

Battery life was one of the reasons I was asking about rooting/unlocking. The other was UI customization, I know some of the different apps will need root. I have a lot to learn though and I'm not in a hurry.

I'm really interested in the whole Tasker feature. I'm an automation specialist and that was one of the things that swayed me from an iPhone 5. I have a ton of things I want to play with on the note 2, but that's the most exciting for me.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Ah, I recently jumped to JellyBean from Gingerbread so I didn't know about that.

Battery life was one of the reasons I was asking about rooting/unlocking. The other was UI customization, I know some of the different apps will need root. I have a lot to learn though and I'm not in a hurry.

I'm really interested in the whole Tasker feature. I'm an automation specialist and that was one of the things that swayed me from an iPhone 5. I have a ton of things I want to play with on the note 2, but that's the most exciting for me.

Some Tasker features require root access. Plus if you want to do shell scripting, you'll need Busybox which provides most of the standard unix utilities.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

big mean giraffe posted:

Not true, actually! Some carrier images don't let you do that! I tried disabling some apps on my Dad's cheap-as-peanuts Huawei he bought for himself on Wind Mobile up here in Canada, and there wasn't a way to disable any app. The option was greyed out on every single app. It may not be the case for the Note 2 or SGS3 or what have you, but it isn't always possible.

I mean hell, I can't disable DSP Manager on my Cyanogenmod. There's a flag somewhere in the system that stops it from happening. (which means there's likely a very good reason I can't disable it, but I'm not sure I buy that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I transfer the notification tones from the CM10 zip to my Nexus 4? I have them sitting in /system/media/audio/notifications currently, but they can't be played, and they don't show up in the list of notification tones to pick from.