Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Personperson14 posted:

Holy crap! Amazon is preparing to ship!

Mine just came in and my building emailed me to say that it's here. I'm freaking out trying to be a rational, mature adult who doesn't leave work early to read a book. But it's hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
Walmart seems to give no fucks about the release date and I bought mine two days ago. Cruel irony dictates I haven't had time to read it, of course.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I went to two different Walmarts and a local bookstore with no luck :argh:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Where would I find the best summaries to brush up on the series before I get the book tomorrow?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

robot roll call posted:

Where would I find the best summaries to brush up on the series before I get the book tomorrow?

These are very brief, but they were still handy when I brushed up earlier this month.

http://www.thonky.com/wot/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
#last one? By the Light, he had a book to finish before he went!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

api call girl posted:

I was hoping it would be some sort of "The end is near" quote. Close though!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Angstronaut posted:

Walmart seems to give no fucks about the release date and I bought mine two days ago. Cruel irony dictates I haven't had time to read it, of course.

How much was it at Wal-Mart? They have a $20.00 place on the .com, but not sure if that's online only, or if it will be $20.00 in store too like Towers of Midnight.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

I was hoping it would be some sort of "The end is near" quote. Close though!

It's also RJ.

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH
Oh crap, Amazon said it was delivered. I'm leaving work early today!!!!

edit: I need more exclamation points!!!!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

api call girl posted:

This one got me. Right in the heart.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

How much was it at Wal-Mart? They have a $20.00 place on the .com, but not sure if that's online only, or if it will be $20.00 in store too like Towers of Midnight.

I think they're 25 in store.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Christ, Amazon still hasn't shipped my order. Mid-afternoon the day before it was supposed to be here, and people who got their shipping e-mails on Saturday or whatever are still barely going to get them in time? Seriously thinking of cancelling with them at this point.

In their defense I did finally pre-order relatively late (only a week ago because I didn't want to have an extra $20 charge the previous month) but since it's been reported that approximately one zillion copies are distributed and the publisher is making sure supply is not an issue, and I doubt Amazon of all retailers would get shafted, that's not really an excuse.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JerryLee posted:

Christ, Amazon still hasn't shipped my order. Mid-afternoon the day before it was supposed to be here, and people who got their shipping e-mails on Saturday or whatever are still barely going to get them in time? Seriously thinking of cancelling with them at this point.

In their defense I did finally pre-order relatively late (only a week ago because I didn't want to have an extra $20 charge the previous month) but since it's been reported that approximately one zillion copies are distributed and the publisher is making sure supply is not an issue, and I doubt Amazon of all retailers would get shafted, that's not really an excuse.

FYI, they don't actually charge your card until the order ships. Mine was just charged today and I preordered a long time ago.

One minor annoyance completely unrelated to WoT but that I feel the need to bitch about is that I have $80 worth of gift cards on my Amazon account that I was going to use to pay for this year's Prime membership, but according to Amazon Customer Service I can't apply it to Prime, and that I'll have to pay for it out of pocket. gently caress that poo poo. I'd almost consider letting it lapse if Prime wasn't so loving amazing.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I ordered mine a jillion years ago, and finally it 'shipped' this morning, but UPS tracking still says:

A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated.

It still claims the estimated delivery is tomorrow, and it better be!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I got my shipping email few hours ago. The good news is it's shipping out of Chattanooga, which is only 2 hours from me. So I know for sure I'm getting it tomorrow.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 7, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I finally decided maybe I would cancel it and now it says "Shipping soon. Cancellation not guaranteed."

I guess I'll ride it out with them but god drat, I don't like being jerked around.

e: I'm being :spergin: as hell but I think in this one case I can get a pass for that.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2013

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I ordered Knife of Dreams off Amazon, and it came a day late. After that, I decided to just go buy the book in a store whenever it comes out, because B&N always has tons of them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
More like I could walk into the Meijers at 12am and buy a copy for immediate gratification.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Walmart broke the street date in my location as well. I would have waited and gone to an actual bookstore, but I have class tomorrow, and there are no bookstores within twenty miles of my school.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

caleramaen posted:

Walmart broke the street date in my location as well. I would have waited and gone to an actual bookstore, but I have class tomorrow, and there are no bookstores within twenty miles of my school.

Oh god I am going to wal mart right now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I finally tried to cancel anyway, didn't work. I may hit my local Wal-Mart and, if they are breaking street date, buy a copy and then just return one of the two of them.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's $25 at Walmart.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just called my local Wal-Mart.

We're such a podunk little town that they don't even get the shipment until tomorrow afternoon :(

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Coming on Friday!! :dance:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just got back from Wal-Mart with my copy :woop: Now to read the entire thing in one marathon session from the comfort of my bed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Wal-Mart too smart here to break street date. :(

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

My Wal-Mart didn't break the street date and the associate said they would lose their vendor license if they did. Wal-mart lose a vendor license :laffo:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

My Wal-Mart didn't either. Probably just as well.

Finally got the ship e-mail and the date is still estimated for tomorrow. We'll see how full of poo poo they are.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Yeah no luck here either :( I thought for sure if anyone could be bribed it was a minimum wage walmart employee.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

robot roll call posted:

I know someone already answered this question but a good alternative is http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/

That website seriously rules, it's the ultimate WoT reference in my opinion.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

api call girl posted:

Wal-Mart too smart here to break street date. :(

Same here. At least I can be assured that it'll be there about 15 minutes before midnight as they restock. Only five hours to go.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, I tried Walmart and Barnes & Noble on my lunch break, no dice. The guy at B&N seemed loving offended that I was trying to pick up a book before its sale date, too.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
My local Walmart broke street date. Just picked it up an hour ago. :D

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I went to a bookstore during my lunch break at work, now I have a copy sitting in my bag! I started reading this series 13 years ago, which I know is not as long as some of you guys, but it has still been an epic journey.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So is it okay to post thoughts as long as I spoiler it? Just got some things I need to get off my mind.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

dflanny posted:

I went to a bookstore during my lunch break at work, now I have a copy sitting in my bag! I started reading this series 13 years ago, which I know is not as long as some of you guys, but it has still been an epic journey.

I started around the same time as you, in the late summer before Winter's Heart came out (so about 12.5 years ago). Can you imagine the fans that started reading back in 1990 when Eye of the World came out? I can't believe the series is finally coming to an end. Unfortunately I have to wait to pick up the book until 9 am tomorrow, if there was a bookstore around me open at midnight I'd be there.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

cheesetriangles posted:

So is it okay to post thoughts as long as I spoiler it? Just got some things I need to get off my mind.

Yes that would roughly be the purpose of spoiler tags. Well, that and it being the most glorious troll ever for people with no willpower who hate spoilers. Please do.

Also, if you have non-spoilery thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I won't be finished with my reread for a month or two (maybe even long enough to get it as an e-book!), but I'm dying to hear opinions from people without a vested interest in saying how great it is. I don't doubt it will be great, but still, it'd set my mind at ease.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Picking up my copy at 10 am before I leave on my road trip tomorrow.

So loving excited. Ahhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I am not really interested in posting specific spoilers. General thoughts are :dance: the book is really good so far. Every page is good.

Begin some generalized spoilers. I am only on chapter 9 so far. I am really hopeful now that we will have a happy ending. Some really impressive moments early on. Some having me laugh out loud in excitement at what is happening. I hope it keeps up. That doesn't mean everything is happy just... the things that happen give me hope for a good end.

• Locked thread