Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Professor Funk posted:

Why do rappers use "eat your rear end" lines in diss tracks?

Because you ain't got the skills to eat a nigga's rear end like Canibus.

EDIT: Even though you might have more cash than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This is not rap music but it is rap radio and it belongs here. Please click on big button in link for audio.

quote:

Spring 1992: Greensboro’s 102 Jams purchases a Jam Machine, an electronic device whose sole function was to play the opening stanza of Guy’s “Teddy’s Jam.” A starter pistol for call-in contests, or a plagiarized station ID by the godfather of New Jack Swing, the device was exceeding expectations until one day when the Jam Machine famously malfunctioned. The result: a seamless stream of “Jams Oh Jams Oh Jams Oh Jams.” Phone lines were jammed (pun intended), and explanations were withheld. Finally, after nearly 48 hours, the entire staff emerged on air to take calls from their bewildered audience. It went like this:

http://www.carolinasoul.org/site/MP3/player.swf?src=http://www.carolinasoul.org/site/MP3/Oh_Jamz_Conflict_MP3.mp3

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That's my backyard. Funny sounds true. Jamz is a good station and they don't play just the top tracks. If you wanna hear some south stuff all day, they play it.

temple fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 6, 2013

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010

temple posted:

That's my backyard. Funny sounds true. Jamz is a good station and they don't play just the top tracks. If you wanna hear some south stuff all day, they play it.

There's a radio station near me that plays a lot of oldies, but they also have a little talk show sort of thing in the mornings. If you want to hear classic songs from the 60s and 70s, they play it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

As long as the Jam Machine does not not malfunction and overload us with the Jams, 102 jamz is a wonderful station.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

the black husserl posted:

This is not rap music but it is rap radio and it belongs here. Please click on big button in link for audio.

http://www.carolinasoul.org/site/MP3/player.swf?src=http://www.carolinasoul.org/site/MP3/Oh_Jamz_Conflict_MP3.mp3

I'm positive I have a track that samples this, but I can't remember what it is. :argh:

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm positive I have a track that samples this, but I can't remember what it is. :argh:

Could be any of these.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I live in Winston and I hate 102 with a passion. Like all other radio they play the same old poo poo every hour on the hour. If not the latest Drake/Ross/"Think bout you" Frank Ocean then its REALLY lovely club music that should only be heard in clubs. The only decent time to listen is at 5 when they have a DJ do his thing for an hour and he usually plays different poo poo or after 10 when the late night mix is on (They even have rap battles on Wednesday nights).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Holy crap, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day now.

I don't have most of those tracks though. I'm pretty sure I got it from somewhere in this 12-hour mix by Autechre: http://percussionlab.com/sets/autechre/12_hour_radio_broadcast

It's kinda fun figuring out what's in the mix, there are a lot of classic rap tracks.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Cass is corny these days, but I'm not going to lie. That was a solid diss record.

But Gillie is still the king of diss records in Philly. I don't care what anyone says.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Has Mill done any tracks back? I've only seen the stuff Cass has been doing so it's coming off kinda funny like he's making all these tracks and Mill doesn't even know/care about them because he's doing coke and banging models with Wale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QekHkzBP-ZY oh i see

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2013

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Hey Y'all just poppin in to tell you to listen to more Bumpy Knuckles.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

OH WORD SON posted:

Hey Y'all just poppin in to tell you to listen to more Bumpy Knuckles.

Ah sweet, thanks let me just follow the links and videos you provided so that I may check this guy out

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

thathonkey posted:

Ah sweet, thanks let me just follow the links and videos you provided so that I may check this guy out

Don't you know how to use google retard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcE8JBac3WI

EDIT: Just started D.R.U.G.S. This Portishead/Tyler Durden intro is amazing.

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2013

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

the hardest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIxBG0Mjqhk

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Czarface (Inspectah Deck x 7L & Esoteric) – Czar Refaeli f. Oh No
Dope

ScHoolboy Q and Ab-Soul
Hilarious

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Czarface (Inspectah Deck x 7L & Esoteric) – Czar Refaeli f. Oh No
Dope

i hadnt heard about this matchup at all until right now. drat im excited.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

So apparently DJ Sound released 3 tapes circa 2006-2007 with a rapper called Lil Rowdy(who I can't find much about the net). DJ Sound was producer with the "Frayser click" and put out some amazing tapes in the early to mid 90s. Also a huge influence on more modern artists like Spaceghostpurpp,lil Ugly Mane etc. I didn't know DJ Sound had put out anything semi-recently, but these pretty much own.
some youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWERBGFQUgg&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rNyOGERDg

edit: upon digging deeper, DJ sound has also rereleased all of his tapes on through his website, wrote a book and gone insane

"After holding rank as the "Master Blaster" of a breakdancing crew known as the "Ridgecrest Breakers" for a couple of years, this "Shotcaller" then known in the mid 80's as SoundMaster C. converted this breakdancing crew into a click of young m.c.s consisting of homies and kinfolks from the crest and various parts of the city including south memphis,orangemound,and glenveiw. "Beatboxing" for his rap crew as they battled rivals for popularity, respect, and the power to pull chicks in other neighborhoods. After nothing else to prove-rivals retreating-Wining talent shows,and pulling chicks in otha hoods.- as popular as he could be-a bored d.j.sound- stepped his game up to a whole notha level when he got that equipment, starte rocking shows,turning out house parties in the bay, and all ova the M., D.j.sound started putting together lil mixtapes. Volume1 and Volume 2 were d.j.style mixtapes,but volume3 on up were all original d.j.sound tracks. D.j.sound needed m.c.s to lace or serenede the naughty notes and make some noise. He cleaverly schemed and dreamed up a team of talented hand picked poets. Since ridgecrest is located on the northside of memphis,in an area we call the bay was actually frayser,,He named this "dreamteam" the FrayserClick..which was a click of groups,soloist,& prior breakindancing members of the old crew who were able to meet the requirements of d.j.sound. D.j.sound was not only a d.j.but a talented beatmaking producer + executive at a young age. D.j.sound released 11volumes in tha MTown. People in the m loved those d.j.sound mixtapes!! as his audience grew larger the demand increase. his buzz began to drift off into the outskirts of the bordering states,he began to sell his mixtapes out of car & stereo stores, kickbox & amp places,and mom & pop shops. As the demand increase, the stores began to pay upfront for wholesale quantities of D.j.Sound mixtapes in bulk. D.j.Sound had a total of 21stores waiting for sound to restock them.He did shows,struck a pose,and f*** the finest hoes! He made stars out of the rappers in his click ,and became an underground celebrity. He had juice,he had clout he had "pull",he had a rep, he had the Fame & power,,he was the star D.j.Sound, until one day- a bored D.j.Sound-as popular as he can be-with nothing else to prove-step down,and retired from the rapgame to work & start a family (at the time downsouth "crunk" nor "screwed and chopped" was getting any record deals because the eastcoast dominated the airwaves with oldschool lyrical tongue rollers,& the type of rappers that david chappelle always have on his show like wyclef with a guitar singing "if i was president" hahaha(lol) we like the show but refuse to watch it until we see soulja boy perform on it. The industry was not yet hipped to the Westcoast gangsta sh**,houstons purple yrup,Lukes miami bass,new awlins, the Mtown and ATL's "tear the club up" "crunk" "screwed" "traphouse" metaphoric jive talking country slain spitting rap songs,or songs just to make you dance not listen to every word styles & HORRORCORE genres that the south had in store) during the explosion of mtown rap clicks in the early to late 90s,just having an underground buzz or rep plus making a lil money off Mom/pop/shops was as successful as you were gonna get. D.j.Sound never sent a demo tape off, shopped a tape with an exec, nor had any intentions on getting signed whatsoever his entire life!! Now12 years later, D.j.sound manage to still have a good thing going" and music that still sell inspite of not creating any other material during this 12year stand still or hiatus gap. Everything made in the early to mid 90s by D.j.sound and his click, are classics that still sell to this day. His reign lasted from 1986-1996(maybe98)the clicksters had to go there seperate ways.THE END. Years go by. D.j.sound finds the perfect manager to take on the heavy task which was a mission to rekindle restore refoundate and build upon on a "probono" agreement and zero dollar budget . The perfect person for this probono managerial job postion was Player1. Player1 (an artist from the group Player1& player2 of d.j.sounds' frayser clique, choreographer of breakdance routines for d.j.sounds ridgecrest breakers, whom also carried a stage name in the mid to late 80s while doing shows with d.j.sound as M.c.ice of M.c.ice & Soundmaster C a.k.a. transound c) had started a label called Litegreen records. Litegreen records is the story of a 15year old ridgecrest kid who sold crack while snacking on milk and cookies.(Grinding 24hours a day,7days a week,& 365 days a year for 9years straight until age 24) Eventually converting his crack empire into a fulltime marijuana operation when he developed a remorseful compassion for his people his community and the children of the crack addicts he supplied. After seeing the crack epedemic destroy a lot of good people+ having friends who were receiving heavy jailterms + life sentences either for the drugs alone,or for killing each other over them,he wanted out of the crackgame although The addicts would simply find other suppliers,and continue to abuse crack. (just the opposite of the movie "Blow") The pot slanging becomes more of an action packed success then coke! There were the downsides to slanging pot that makes him strive so desperately at going legit and getting out of the streetgame all together!!. The trick was to slang the pot with the lime colored "LITEGREEN" complexion to the "color struck" for fast turnovers. If it wasnt "LITEGREEN" you were just another lame lowlife in the slowlane while the crack dealers lived good fastlane lives! Explained with authenticity in the point of veiw from a true hustler rapper and racontuer in the street lit book CrackRockRaised "The Autobiography of a ridgecrest crack dealer in the bay of NorthMemphis" which will be sold in ebook,ibook downloads,amazon,& bookbaby.. Will be Physically distributed and store shelfed as well, Books a million and Barnes & Nobel and even BestBuy.Currently in submissions with holloway publishing and being solicited to Lyer Coen,props to Sig Shore,Gordon Parks,Jhon Evans,Jack Steely,Mario vanPeebles, along with a few other key hollywood players for low budget high quality exploitive productions.This high demand urban fictional book script or hiphop urban film of today is like the new millienium superfly or hustle and flow part2 {{{{In the mid 80's to late 90's Ridgecrest was known as the million dollar track}}}}}} a track is like a strip (silkroad of china if you will).Track as in drive thru traffic flowing in and out of an apartment complex that had multiple entrances and exits.Far from having a block,corner,or a trap. A trap is usually a house or in front of a house(dopehouse). a block or corner is how the east coast and northern hustlers get down. Ridgecrest was a dope track,a swap meet drive thru, crack cocaine wallstreet style village,a Public flea market style crack meet up spot due to lack of cellphones or cells not being as common if invented at all(eventually the brick style cellphone and the beeper came into play)back then.This track was a traffic infested crack contaminated haven of continuous flow. people picking up,connects dropping off, "auction style brokers". The ridgecrest network "hear say" 'word of mouth" clientale was raging hard and spreading thick thru out the white community among suburbs all over millington munford,bartlett,arlington,shelby,fayette,and neighboring counties. Being spoiled off the priveledge of having a track for a neighborhood made these ridgecrest kids not only rapstar fly, but targets of other less fortunate neighborhoods. Other neighborhoods wasnt as safe to go with money to crack shop,didnt have the fair trade exchange nor even swop real substance for currency service clout or reputation as that of the Ridgecrest apts had. Other neighborhoods would simply rob a nigga whos trying to cop an oz, or snatch and take a whiteboys money run off,they would carjack beat you down,helicoptors would fly over there hoods but not the ridgecrest apt.. No other hood made you feel so comfortably safe strolling in casually for a couple hundred dollars worth of crack 2:00am.and each month clientale tripled.true hustlers were bred from the ridgecrest apts.The average ridgecrest kid huslted atleast enough money for a pair of sneakers and never sold again graduated from highschool and lived square lives from there on after but not Priest(a boy who fell in love with hiphop age 5,began breakdancing age10 breakdancing full fledge professionally by age13 rapping at 14 who bought shoes clothes fresh outfits fat ropes gold jewelry age 15 and turned his back on his old breakdancing crew who had converted to rapcrew) together with his enforcer killa bones a.k.a player2(who becomes righthandman then later 50/50 partner)they would pledge by 17 a cocaine vow to dedicate there lives to a life sacrificing career in crack slanging from the corner as kids, to kilos when they were old. Either jail death or rich without nothing to lose anyway. They would still visit d.j.sound and rap for fun as a hobby with no intentions on getting signed, they brought a certain street credability to d.j.sound tapes that the average rapper didnt at that time(other rappers were from frayser but not from ridgecrest or either were thugs from ridgecrest but not fulltime organized criminals some were from orangemound southmemphis even,and although the new rappers were flowing there asses off, this dual brought a certain street cred to the tapes) because of how popular priest and bones were. the other click members rapped so good because they thought sound would get signed but p1 bones and even d.j.sound did it for fun. Millions of dollars in revenue began to circulate thru ridgecrest and the heat was on. The narcs - code word for undercover metro narcotics unit -, would drive thru in unmarked cars to purchase crack,arrest and beat you up. D.E.A would kick in doors, & around that time sheriff jack owens started a "jump and grab" a dealer system (just drive by snatch him up in a van drive him straight to jail). Sheriff Jack owens was notorieus for putting drugs back on the streets after taking dealers off the streets, these conspiracies led to his suicide death at a frayser gas station down the street from the ridgcrest apt.The guy was as huge as the mayor says P1, Narcs began taking over the dopetrack after raids, putting on jerry curl wigs, gold tooth fronts, posing as ridgecrest dopeboys,arresting all the wealthy crack customers from the suburbs and had the office of the complex close all entrances & exits,causing a slew of dopeboys to run to the customer as they drove thru in there cars. With one way in and one way out,no more rich suburban customers only the strung out residents,family members, loved ones,highschool coeds, people in neighboring hoods,or just supplying the inner community caused a remorseful compassion in this hustler for his people by age 24. From age 24 to 32(2005)he converts from litegreen to pimping to desperately trying to legitimate his enterprise days before his 33rd birthday with his film "straight outta frayser" in an action packed midlife transition and career change to form a record label "autobiography of a ridgecrest crackdealer in the bay of north memphis" CrackRockRaised is a story told from the action packed point of veiw first hand account street level to mid level rise, not the average rags to riches story where a kingpin lives a soap opera style life and ends up "wired up". This book will also contain the story that once was here.Consider the story that was once here a preview of the books final chapters. Born in memphis as Priest named by his mother after a 70's role leading character in the movie superfly.Ironicly coincidentaly finding himself in too deep wanting to get out of the game just like the character he was named after. "
http://www.frayserclick.com/

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 7, 2013

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Thanks for that.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
goddamn trdl :psypop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

been pronouncing wale as "whale" for months, even though he says it's wall-ay on a few of his tracks, feel like a fool.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

i know i imagine listening to wale 2nd run at rap does make you feel pretty foolish :twisted:

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

been pronouncing wale as "whale" for months, even though he says it's wall-ay on a few of his tracks, feel like a fool.

Seriously dude, he says it like 100 billion times on that song with Gagaga.

I like Selling My Soul. Reminds me of the good old days when it was all so simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAFxkvQ44_U

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

asap-salafi posted:

Gaga sounds so much like MIA on that track it's crazy

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

When Wale was coming to my university a friend of mine thought it was pronounced whale and after seeing a music video thought that Rick Ross was Wale

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

asap-salafi posted:

Even on that track, he says "They keep saying 'Whale', but my name's Wale"

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

NeuroticErotica posted:

Even on that track, he says "They keep saying 'Whale', but my name's Wale"

I want to name my son Wale for this exact reason. So that on his first day in class the teacher will call out his name "Whale" and he can correct them by saying, "no miss, my name Wale".

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Gaga sounds so much like MIA on that track it's crazy

Well it was originally supposed to be for MIA. She turned it down for whatever reason so they got Gaga to do it instead.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

asap-salafi posted:

I want to name my son Wale for this exact reason. So that on his first day in class the teacher will call out his name "Whale" and he can correct them by saying, "no miss, my name Wale".

close the thread

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Milo dropped a pair of EPs today: http://hellfyreclub.bandcamp.com/

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i didn't realize i'd have to hold your goddamn hand, but here you go. he also goes by freddie the foxx and is known for the best verse on "The Militia" and one of, if not the, best independent albums of the early 00s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRajtgI-1A- inside your head. listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTVHK8r_4Nk- Step up. Listen to it.

also listen to what farmtrill posted cause that song is hard as gently caress and if you still 'aren't feeling' freddie the foxxx aka bumpy knuckles then you can just get the gently caress out.

EDIT: one more for your rear end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6WpH_7WOM

OH WORD SON fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 8, 2013

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

asap-salafi posted:

Ye
I like Selling My Soul. Reminds me of the good old days when it was all so simple.

Yeah, me too.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

asap-salafi posted:

I have a buddy who, when he drinks too much, will randomly approach strangers at bars and say "Hello, my name Wale." It owns

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Did anyone ever post the "Backseat Freestyle" video? I read through the thread back to Dec. 28 and didn't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBPsah7BHw

One whole verse of assbouncin

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

I have a buddy who, when he drinks too much, will randomly approach strangers at bars and say "Hello, my name Wale." It owns

just random people in the bar? that's awesome

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

He sounds really cool. You as well.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

all gold everything remix ft. t.i., jeezy, & 2 chainz. this version is clean but if i were to say i wasnt excited about this song id be lying.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.23376/title.trinidad-james-f-ti-young-jeezy-2-chainz--all-gold-everything

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

unclenutzzy posted:

He sounds really cool. You as well.

Goons just have the best humor.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

40 lbs to freedom posted:

all gold everything remix ft. t.i., jeezy, & 2 chainz. this version is clean but if i were to say i wasnt excited about this song id be lying.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.23376/title.trinidad-james-f-ti-young-jeezy-2-chainz--all-gold-everything

Haha. The rap world is now as it should be, that beat having been given to the real rappers that should have had it months ago. Thanks for "Popped a molly I'm sweatin- woo!" Mr James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

phractured posted:

Goons just have the best humor.

I double dare you to dream up something funnier than Wale.

• Locked thread