Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Man, the robot chapters are cute as hell but there's always something incredibly unnerving about them. See: Chapter 33, Give and Take.

Give and Take irritates me because I'm always like "couldn't you be okay staying alive maybe ten more minutes, answer a couple more questions about the early court? C'mon, old guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

MikeJF posted:

Give and Take irritates me because I'm always like "couldn't you be okay staying alive maybe ten more minutes, answer a couple more questions about the early court? C'mon, old guy"

I bet the Court would feel the same way. I hope for Kat's sake that their knowledge of her ability is a long time coming...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Two things:

1.) What the hell page is my avatar from?
2.) Avatar Fairy needs to start centering stuff, bad. This is going to drive me nuts.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Cabbit posted:

Two things:

1.) What the hell page is my avatar from?
2.) Avatar Fairy needs to start centering stuff, bad. This is going to drive me nuts.

One of the saddest pages in GKC.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1019

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Surely the robots see no reason for deception; they probably believe everything they are doing is necessary (maybe it is? :ohdear:)

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Dang, I was looking forward to some sweet triangulating by Kat too :(

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tupperwarez posted:

Edit: Wait a second, so are these rogue S-series robots? Why would they have their own lair separate from robot HQ?

Criminal robots have their CPUs locked up and their brains turned into paperclips; they'd probably rather avoid that. And this page indicates there are a lot of robots criminals. Like I said, I think we're finally about to see more of that plot point.

MikeJF posted:

I still read his last word as "you thought you'd actually get some answers? Please."

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Flitter Reid posted:

It's a trap! :ohdear:

They must want Kat.

That's what I reckon. The already have something of a religious movement going, with Kat as their angel / goddess, and Robot as their priest. ("In the meantime, there has been a change in us, a new light, shed by the strange, clothed robot.")

I would not be in the least surprised if this turned out to be part of a religious war among robots over the finer points of theology, and that physical possession of the angel is important somehow.

E.J.Olmos posted:

Surely the robots see no reason for deception; they probably believe everything they are doing is necessary (maybe it is? :ohdear:)

This is the thing, though. If this is a religious war, it could well be totally legitimate. We've already seen (through Zimmie's eyes) that Kat is an honest-to-goodness machine angel at the ethereal level. Whatever finer points of theology the robots are arguing about could be quite important in the real world.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Too sad for me. I guess I can thank the avatar fairy for impelling me to get off my rear end and get a Coyote avatar.

Edit: At least until baseball season starts up again!

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 7, 2013

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Haha, surely not a trap at all!

I wonder if they caught Robot because he can possibly lie while they can't and they consider him as a danger.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's what I reckon. The already have something of a religious movement going, with Kat as their angel / goddess, and Robot as their priest. ("In the meantime, there has been a change in us, a new light, shed by the strange, clothed robot.")

I would not be in the least surprised if this turned out to be part of a religious war among robots over the finer points of theology, and that physical possession of the angel is important somehow.

My guess is that there are some robots that see a conflict with the reverence of Kat vis-a-vis that of Jeanne. All robots seem to have an inbuilt connection of sorts to Jeanne, and the whole "Kat as an angel" buisness might seem like heresy in the eyes of some of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man, I love the court robots. :allears:

It is interesting that we see them through very different lenses. With Robot or Kat we get this creepy silence and seriousness that completely disappears if Annie is in the scene.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Was the warehouse Reynard was penned up in ever given a number?

Also I take it back. There is no robot conspiracy. I don't think the court robots know what conspiring is, especially not against other robots.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

This is the thing, though. If this is a religious war, it could well be totally legitimate. We've already seen (through Zimmie's eyes) that Kat is an honest-to-goodness machine angel at the ethereal level. Whatever finer points of theology the robots are arguing about could be quite important in the real world.

I read that chapter, given Zimmie's general weirdness, as not being what Kat is but what she could be or is going to be.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The avatar faerie is pretty thorough!

Are... are those jazz hands?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Haha oh wow avatar fairy! You're the greatest! :unsmith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bell_ posted:

It's an Adventure Time reference, I think.

Also did some lurker hit the lottery or something, good Lord

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bell_ posted:

It's the scheming wriggling fingers of the creepy deer from Adventure Time.

On top of that your text is still homestuck and makes no sense with the avatar since that is not the drunk rose district.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I thought so at first too, but then I double-checked and the Avatar Fairy in FACT accounted for this.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm half afraid to change my avatar now, in case it gets changed again-even if I made it a City Face so it was appropriate or something. They must be slowing/stopped now since there are a whole two people above without a GC avatar.

I like though how they seem to be matching up new avs with currently existing text.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Avatar Fairy is seriously impressive. They must be loaded. Or, like, a big team of people. And they're putting some effort into this, matching up avatars with text/usernames/whatever. Still shocked they managed to find a guy that looks like Julian Assange.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

A machine angel, you say? I couldn't make heads nor tails of that picture, looked like a giant bug to me.

I dunno about the religious war stuff. The robots are a pretty goofy bunch; they don't really seem serious enough to have things like wars to me. This is definitely some sort of lure for Kat, but I'm not it's as serious as a trap or some elaborate scheme to control her.

On the other hand, the title of the chapter is "Changes", so all bets are off I guess.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

E: Nevermind, found it.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 8, 2013

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

neogeo0823 posted:

Which chapter had the laser cows again? I really need to start remembering that one.

If you scroll down on http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/ you'll see all the chapters and chapter 24 has a laser cow as the icon.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The Sin of Onan posted:

A machine angel, you say? I couldn't make heads nor tails of that picture, looked like a giant bug to me.

Yeah, I didn't so much get "angel" from that as "hideous metal demon with a bird motif". Which would be why she scared Zimmy.
Still a beautiful bit of art though. In a terrifying sort of way.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Obviously Kat is the Shrike. Now she just needs to get a big spiky tree.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pyradox posted:

Yeah, I didn't so much get "angel" from that as "hideous metal demon with a bird motif". Which would be why she scared Zimmy.
Still a beautiful bit of art though. In a terrifying sort of way.

Angels are terrifying to look upon "in the lore."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Angels are terrifying to look upon "in the lore."

Yeah, in classical mythology, someone who looked at a cherubim (those tiny fat winged babies you see today) would literally burst into flame from the terrible radiance of their faces. Old-school angels don't gently caress around.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

This clearly asks for more of the robot outfit for both Kat and Annie. How else are they going to sneak into a secret robot hideout? I really want to see "BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT" done by Kat, too. Especially since she knows robots in GKC don't do it.

Also, holy poo poo. Some late christmas presents from Avatar fairy here. Soon, everyone will have a GKC avatar it seems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kidnapping a young student - and let's remember that the court has the ability to track their students - would likely lead to some pretty major consequences for robot society from the human society of the Court. The concept of a conflict between the two is... terrifying.

quote:

Zimmy doesn't necessarily see, like, someone's true ethereal self of anything. She sees all kinds of hosed up hallucinations for all kinds of reasons. She may well be glimpsing the image the robots have of her in the future, or something else entirely.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

VanSandman posted:

Man, the robot chapters are cute as hell but there's always something incredibly unnerving about them. See: Chapter 33, Give and Take.

Counterpoint: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=899 Robox clearly telling Boxbot what's what.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

MikeJF posted:

Zimmy doesn't necessarily see, like, someone's true ethereal self of anything. She sees all kinds of hosed up hallucinations for all kinds of reasons. She may well be glimpsing the image the robots have of her in the future, or something else entirely.

Given that Zimmy was already seeing some of Kat's thoughts through the pigeon, maybe the machine image is just how Kat thinks about her own body working? Like Kat already breaks down how machines and bird wings work in her mind, so naturally she's thought about how her body would work/look put together as a machine and that's what Zimmy is seeing.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Musluk posted:

This clearly asks for more of the robot outfit for both Kat and Annie. How else are they going to sneak into a secret robot hideout? I really want to see "BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT" done by Kat, too. Especially since she knows robots in GKC don't do it.

Also, holy poo poo. Some late christmas presents from Avatar fairy here. Soon, everyone will have a GKC avatar it seems.

Oh god the page where Kat isn't convincing enough a robot and gets vouched for by Annie will be the best page to have ever been produced

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Give and Take probably ranks among my top GC chapters (anything to do with the robot society really), I love machine/human existential poo poo like that in fiction; another popular example is something like The Second Renaissance from the Animatrix (and really the Matrix mythos in general.)

Futurology is a fascinating thing to think about for me and I think GC captures those ideas really well in its own narrative. It also manages to mix in a lot of ethereal high fantasy-esque tropes like magic and fairies and elves and all that good stuff, which I also really like!

Basically GC is the best. I'm kind of gushing but if anywhere this is the place to do it! That said I'm really looking forward to this chapter, keep working your magic Tom. :)

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'm half afraid to change my avatar now, in case it gets changed again-even if I made it a City Face so it was appropriate or something. They must be slowing/stopped now since there are a whole two people above without a GC avatar.

I like though how they seem to be matching up new avs with currently existing text.

I wouldn't worry, my avatar pre-dates avatar fairy and I've posted plenty.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Battle Pigeon posted:

I have theories about Avatar fairy. But I'm pretty sure I'm safe (last 00 stupid newbie I know!). You should probably also be safe with a city face av.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

FriggenJ posted:

Counterpoint: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=899 Robox clearly telling Boxbot what's what.

Holy cow I hadn't realised how creepy the boxy robots could be until I stared at that for a while... Still doesn't stop me wanting to make ALL THE PLUSHIES though. Man, this thread has me re-reading the archives so often, I hope my boss doesn't catch on :blush:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, in classical mythology, someone who looked at a cherubim (those tiny fat winged babies you see today) would literally burst into flame from the terrible radiance of their faces. Old-school angels don't gently caress around.
Ezekiel has a real acid trip of an angel sighting. Kat definitely doesn't look weirder than a wheel within a wheel made of fire with rims covered in eyes.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Obviously Kat is the Shrike. Now she just needs to get a big spiky tree.

Oh goodness, that means Annie's father is going to have to sacrifice her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Osmosisch posted:

Oh goodness, that means Annie's father is going to have to sacrifice her.

Annie didn't kill her mother; Annie is her mother, she just forgot because she travels backward in time.