Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

This has been posted in the Tech Support Fort as well, but just in case you're not reading that thread, here's something of interest for people who make Let's Plays.

Adobe has decided to release their entire CS2 line of products as freeware.

That means you get Photoshop, Audition, Premiere Pro and some other programs that may help you in making stuff for the internet. I'm not too sure at how these programs will work on modern OSes, especially on 64-bit systems, but it's definitely worth looking into.

With that said, the site will be down every now and then because their website is being hammered really hard.

Hey, cool. Now there's no reason for anyone to use Sony Vegas ever again.

Premiere was a thing in CS2 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fat Samurai posted:

To anyone who has played Homeworld and knows what I'm talking about : Do you have any ideas about how to go about this?

Do you really have to pause? Let's use my Myth 3 LP as an example. Sure you want to pause and slow time down to have things go exactly the way you want, but I didn't do that to keep a flow to the video. I made a few mistakes in panic moments but I thought the occasional misstep made the videos more interesting. How long will you be on the pause screen in a typical level? The other Homeworld LPs were entertaining, but the guy doing them wasn't very skilled at the micro. I'd watch yours if the play style was skilled and informative, so post something.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Could you even get through Homeworld without pausing? The Kadeshi missions seem like they'd be hell without it.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
What up yall. I'm working on starting a video LP of Binary Domain and I've got a first video done. Would appreciate some feedback and critique. http://youtu.be/BWtNJGTJe58

Our commentary is a little sparse and sometimes I trail off. We're both new at this and the game doesn't have much going on at the beginning to talk about. We're probably going to redo the commentary for this episode before I actually post a thread. So yeah feedback on any aspect of the video is welcome. Thanks.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

djw175 posted:

Could you even get through Homeworld without pausing? The Kadeshi missions seem like they'd be hell without it.

Sure. It's clearly suboptimal not to pause in terms of executing the perfect strategy, but people like me who have the attitude "what part of real time did you not understand?" never pause these games. Now Guava will tell you that two-thirds of the point, and certainly the fun of an LP of an RTS, is watching the LPer trying to cope with thinking about an LP on top of actually playing the game (that's why he did Myth 3 with live commentary). He's certainly right up to a point because mistakes do make videos more interesting, assuming you're meeting a basic standard of competence. If you're trying to talk about the tactical challenge a mission is presenting you with it's actually suboptimal for your video to effortlessly neutralise aforementioned challenge, because it's then much harder for the viewer to actually see what it's about; if you have a bit of difficulty with your response it's much easier for the audience to work out why the mission is supposed to be hard - they don't just have to take your word for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think I'll just try to record a couple of videos, both pausing and not pausing, and present both. Homeworld isn't horribly difficult anyway.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

Heti posted:

What up yall. I'm working on starting a video LP of Binary Domain and I've got a first video done. Would appreciate some feedback and critique. http://youtu.be/BWtNJGTJe58

Our commentary is a little sparse and sometimes I trail off. We're both new at this and the game doesn't have much going on at the beginning to talk about. We're probably going to redo the commentary for this episode before I actually post a thread. So yeah feedback on any aspect of the video is welcome. Thanks.

I think you understand what the main problems are, by what you say in your post. I suggest maybe thinking of some topics you'd like to talk about ahead of time, not necessarily exactly what you're going to say but maybe just some topics to bounce around.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Here's an idea I've been wanting to try as I really enjoy the games and have seen some requests for the genre. Let me know what you think!

"Myst-like?" Whazzat?
Myst was a game that I'm sure most of you have played already. It involved pre-rendered still backgrounds with occasional full motion video sequences and a heavy emphasis on puzzles and inventory-style adventure gaming. Due to the immense popularity of Myst, many games during the mid-to-late nineties followed in its footsteps. In this thread I'll be playing through a lot of these games that have fallen through the cracks.

What games are you planning to play?
The List So Far: Amber Journeys Beyond, The Last Express, Obsidian, Bad Mojo, Noir

Amber Journeys Beyond is the only game released by Forest Hue Entertainment. You're asked to visit a friend who is studying paranormal activity in a secluded house, and after being trapped there you must utilize her research to unravel the house's mysterious history. Steeped in eerie atmosphere, Amber earned numerous awards and has earned somewhat of a cult following since its release in 1996.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Yeah we learned a lot just from making one video. We kind of just jumped in to recording this commentary to get the practice in and get some feedback. We'll prepare some more and redo it this week.

edit: VVV Great idea, recording a later part of the game now.

Heti fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 7, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Also it's not a bad idea to make a test post out of some footage an hour or two into the game, because like you said the early game often is composed of stuff that's hard to comment on like cutscenes and tutorials.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

This has been posted in the Tech Support Fort as well, but just in case you're not reading that thread, here's something of interest for people who make Let's Plays.

Adobe has decided to release their entire CS2 line of products as freeware.

That means you get Photoshop, Audition, Premiere Pro and some other programs that may help you in making stuff for the internet. I'm not too sure at how these programs will work on modern OSes, especially on 64-bit systems, but it's definitely worth looking into.

With that said, the site will be down every now and then because their website is being hammered really hard.

Turns out this isn't the case: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

Guy From Adobe posted:

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I redid my Starcraft 2 LP post, and now have an update post done. Although the OP isn't finished (see the previous iteration), this is how I envision each update looking, having already introduced the lore etc. in the OP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9896 .

I'd love feedback on the formatting, content, etc. The video itself is also more than open to constructive criticism -- I can certainly re-record and reupload it to take into account suggestions.

e: I plan to add audience participation as well once the campaign progresses -- people will be able to choose what missions we do and what upgrades we choose.

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 8, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

foutre posted:

I redid my Starcraft 2 LP post, and now have an update post done. Although the OP isn't finished (see the previous iteration), this is how I envision each update looking, having already introduced the lore etc. in the OP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9896 .

Your recap is incorrect, that was Tychus being released from prison. Jimmy defected after the Terran campaign in the first game, not during Brood War. The Brood war started when the Overmind was killed at the end of starcraft, which made all the broods go berserk. Some of your images are broken and your marine portrait has Raynor instead of the marine.

I'd say put the "What We Have" section in the op and up date it whenever you get new stuff. I wouldn't compare the medic to the medievac since at this point we have no clue what that is. Finally host your images man. Use Imgur or photobucket or something.

Other than that it looks fine. Not nearly so offensively wrong.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First things first, use another host besides blip. They have a tendency to delete LP's.

Everything looks and sounds fine though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Your recap is incorrect, that was Tychus being released from prison. Jimmy defected after the Terran campaign in the first game, not during Brood War. The Brood war started when the Overmind was killed at the end of starcraft, which made all the broods go berserk. Some of your images are broken and your marine portrait has Raynor instead of the marine.

I'd say put the "What We Have" section in the op and up date it whenever you get new stuff. I wouldn't compare the medic to the medievac since at this point we have no clue what that is. Finally host your images man. Use Imgur or photobucket or something.

Other than that it looks fine. Not nearly so offensively wrong.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll come back in a while with a much better version, taking that into account.

I also can't believe that I'm so astonishingly stupid as to think that was Raynor, good lord I'm dumb. Wow. Somehow I didn't put two and two together.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Volume posted:

First things first, use another host besides blip. They have a tendency to delete LP's.

Everything looks and sounds fine though.
Thanks a lot! I didn't realize I could lose the time limit on youtubes till I checked the support fort, so I'll be uploading there as well.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a real bad habit of stuttering and taking somewhat long pauses in my LP's. Even when I do 20 takes and do post commentary, it still sounds very hesitant and weak, what are some tips for sounding more natural?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Get a co-commentator? I assume you don't stutter and pause all the time when in a conversation with your friends.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

foutre posted:

I'd love feedback on the formatting, content, etc. The video itself is also more than open to constructive criticism -- I can certainly re-record and reupload it to take into account suggestions.

e: I plan to add audience participation as well once the campaign progresses -- people will be able to choose what missions we do and what upgrades we choose.

Some of your image links are broken

The ordering in the list of buildings is kind of wonky. For instance, for the Command Center you have <description>, <stats>, <image> but then for the Barracks you have <image>, <description>, <stats>.

Are you really going to count every Hellion, Firebat, etc. that you see or build in the whole game?

Your video quality is pretty rough. What is you workflow for recording and encoding?

Your video has two missions in one update. That's okay. It might be worth splitting up your episodes into 1 mission, 1 video. This is just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it. The rest of the stuff that I mention is important, though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2013

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Turtlicious posted:

I have a real bad habit of stuttering and taking somewhat long pauses in my LP's. Even when I do 20 takes and do post commentary, it still sounds very hesitant and weak, what are some tips for sounding more natural?

You might want to consider using subtitles if it's appropriate for the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Blastinus posted:

e: And it's done. I think I've made most of the changes you guys asked for. Have a look!

Prologue, Take 2

Let me know if you see anything else that needs changing.

Also, looking at Artix's suggestion before, it is probably a good idea, once I get past the point where I'm explaining everything, to summarize turns rather than describing every action. I'll have to see how convoluted things get.

Didn't notice you'd actually done a take 2. Looking over it...

...yep, I'd say you're good to go! Random Numbers be with you!

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Can I put in a suggestion for Alida? It's utterly shameless in its cloning of Myst, and the premise is intriguing.

quote:

Alida, a guitar shaped island off of the Australian coast, was built by members of a musical group who sold enough from their first album to make its members extremely rich.

When no second album is produced they're all but forgotten by their fans. So the band split up, each person taking up a separate area on Alida and hoarding their remaining money in elaborately locked vaults. After a time, all of the members of the group left the island. Arin, one of the members, goes to the island for a supposed reunion but has never returned. His wife asks you to go to Alida and find her husband.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Do you stutter when talking to friends? Because that's pretty much all there is to an LP - talking to friends who aren't in the room with you. If it's post commentary it just sounds like nerves, though sometimes in gameplay it can also be caused by having the difficulty up too high. The right difficulty should be entertaining for you, but not so much of a strain that having a conversation is hard.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

foutre posted:

I feel that both in your video and your post, you're approaching the game very heavily from your multiplayer experiences, which leads to assuming a lot of game knowledge present in the viewer. If I've never played SC2 before, I don't know the UI, I don't know what your units are or what they do. Micro and concaves don't matter if you don't know what's going on. I need to know marines go shoot things with their guns and do a lot of damage and are awesome.

When the second mission opens, you should introduce the CC/SCV/barracks etc. and explain their importance. This is the first mission where you need "macro" so explain mining and building stuff. Basically just walk the viewer through what needs to be done to win the mission. I would like to see a bit more explanation of what moves you make and why. Saying that you're sending a guy out to scout, or you're attacking because you've built up a large enough army would help keep the viewer paying attention to what cues are important and how to react.

I don't think you explained minerals and those mineral/gas pickups.

You should also probably not reference stuff you haven't seen yet, as that is just likely to be confusing. Your unit descriptions include stuff that you wouldn't know about yet. (Combat shield and bunker range are both upgrades you get later) Also the existence of medivacs/marauders/ghosts/reapers.

Can you record at higher quality? I think SC2 is really pretty, and it would be nice to see that reflected in the video.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Are you really going to count every Hellion, Firebat, etc. that you see or build in the whole game?

Your video quality is pretty rough. What is you workflow for recording and encoding?

Raldan posted:

words
Can you record at higher quality? I think SC2 is really pretty, and it would be nice to see that reflected in the video.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely take out the sightings, that was kind of a silly addition. I'll try and think more about making this genuinely accessible to someone who has never played SC2 before -- I'll approach it on a more basic level, that's a great point. I think I'll map out the missions beforehand for a while, which is perhaps not entirely in the spirit of an LP but probably necessary for now.

At the moment I'm simply using Xsplit to record a stream video, which works for streaming but, you're right, is a little too ugly for an LP. I think I'll find another program for when I re-record (a.k.a. I'll go look a lot more at the Tech Support Fort before I record again, and download all the necessary programs/be less of a lazy poo poo).

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

Turtlicious posted:

I'd say practise. If you practice speaking confidently (which you know, for public speaking which essentially this is - there are a lot of resources out there).

Also don't be afraid to edit poo poo out. Don't try and get it all in one take - Takling for 15+ minutes without a single flub is at best extremely difficult and it's not worth throwing away otherwise good commentary (if indeed it is good).

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Seconding that. I know exactly what my "uh" looks like in audacity, from editing dozens out.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I don't really have the best eye for screenshots or SSLP's, but I wanted to do one just to stretch my proverbial legs. So here's a short test post for something I'll probably do like a month or so from now, and was just wondering if there was anything that I should fix image-wise or if there's any room for improvement. Currently this is just the intro (since it took me like an hour or two to even do this) but I think it should give a general idea of the picture quality, my bits of commentary, and character portraits. So any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9911

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
dw1.7.gif is well too long, and it comprises several scenes where it's not immediately obvious which scene is the first one. The longer a .gif is the more likely that readers are going to encounter it in the middle, and have longer to wait for it to cycle back around to the beginning. The earlier .gifs are much better. You could also stand to have your screenshots be bigger. There's so much black space around the actual screen (game's fault, not yours) that we're basically looking at a very very small area. I know filesizes rapidly spin out of control when making larger .gifs, so maybe you could have a bigger screenshot of each area so we can see it more easily, and then any action gifs you want can be the current size?

Finally, this is pretty minor, but why are the headshot backgrounds different? You've got one with a white background, one with a black, and one with a tree? Did you pull the monk faces from somewhere other than the game?

e: Most of this is nitpicking, it's not bad at all, you've avoided all the major problems (using .jpgs on a pixel art game, etc.)

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 8, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

dw1.7.gif is well too long, and it comprises several scenes where it's not immediately obvious which scene is the first one. The longer a .gif is the more likely that readers are going to encounter it in the middle, and have longer to wait for it to cycle back around to the beginning. The earlier .gifs are much better. You could also stand to have your screenshots be bigger. There's so much black space around the actual screen (game's fault, not yours) that we're basically looking at a very very small area. I know filesizes rapidly spin out of control when making larger .gifs, so maybe you could have a bigger screenshot of each area so we can see it more easily, and then any action gifs you want can be the current size?

Finally, this is pretty minor, but why are the headshot backgrounds different? You've got one with a white background, one with a black, and one with a tree? Did you pull the monk faces from somewhere other than the game?

e: Most of this is nitpicking, it's not bad at all, you've avoided all the major problems (using .jpgs on a pixel art game, etc.)
Yea, I wasn't really sure if splitting it up would have been overkill or not. So would you say that maybe splitting it when it changes from the 'Dreamweb' into the the apartment is good? Or what length would you say is more reasonable? And I wasn't sure if I should crop down the black space in the intro since that black area does inevitable get used as the normal game screen looks like this:

And the headshots, well, I had to find whatever works since the game doesn't really have any other character portraits to speak of. Would it work better if I made them transparent? Or what would be the best way to go with that?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you want to show the whole scene in .gif form I'd have one .gif per room. One for the guy conjuring the ball, one in the microwave, one in the bedroom. That way it's clear which scene comes first. As for maximum length per .gif... maybe three seconds? I wouldn't set a hard and fast rule for yourself, especially for funny or dramatic scenes that have a punchline.

I wouldn't bother to crop the intro screens if the UI eventually takes up that space. It'll just look weird when the screenshots suddenly double in size later as the UI comes in. I like the larger screenshot there, it's a lot easier to see the thematic details like the orange lighting glow and half-bedsheeted furniture.

As for the portraits, it was really only jarring because there was a tree in the background of that one guy, while he's standing in a gloomy dystopean cyberpunk temple thing. Some people seem to prefer transparent backgrounds, but I don't really mind either way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Niggurath posted:

And the headshots, well, I had to find whatever works since the game doesn't really have any other character portraits to speak of. Would it work better if I made them transparent? Or what would be the best way to go with that?

I think "best effort" is the rule with portraits. If the game provides them, use them. If it provides them for some characters and not others, use however many you can. If there are none, either use the clearest image from the game that you can or just switch over to bolded names. From what I've seen, clearing up the backgrounds from the images or making them transparent seems above and beyond the call, so to speak.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
So with the Fall from Heaven 2 LPs coming out it piqued my curiosity about one of its successor mods, Rise from Erebus. Especially with all the discussion on it in the thread, I put together something showing off one of the new civilizations introduced by the modmod, the Scions of Patria.

Could I get some critique on this test SSLP? http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9917

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bomberman Tournament is an RPG that takes place in the Bomberman Universe. It was made in 2001 by Hudson Soft, and the primary draw of the game was the Battle game mode, which allowed 4 player arena play using GBA Link cables. To make it a $60 retail game they slapped an RPG on it, and that's what I'm gonna be playing.

Videos
#1:

(Only Youtube atm)

Karabons
Karabons are animals that live in the Bomberman Tournament universe. They can travel with Bomberman, allowing him to use different skills and abilites. Each Karabon as an elemental type (or types) and Karabons can battle each other. When battling, Karabons choose to block, attack, or special attack, in any order. Special attacks are elemental, based on the user's element, and follow this table of effectiveness
code:

Defending Type
	    ---------------------------------------------------------
	    |			Fire	Water	Earth	Electricity
	    |	Fire		 N	  N	  + 	    -
Attacking   |	Water		 +	  N	  -	    N
Type	    |	Earth		 N	  -	  N	    +
	    |	Electricity	 -	  +	  N	    N

(N):Normal Damage, (+):Effective, (-):No Damage
There are 25 Karabons in the game and we'll be getting all of them (hopefully)

#1: Pommy

Type: Electric
Special Attack: Electric (yeah the name of the attack is literally "Electric")
Ability: Teleportation
Pommy can warp to any of the major cities in the game that we've previously visited, making backtracking much less painful. In dungeons, Pommy can warp us back to the start of the dungeon to easily leave if we need to

(I'll be getting co-commentators for the later videos but there's a ton of game information in the first bit of the game so I figured solo would be better. I'm not 100% happy with the commentary so I might re-record for the actual thread based on what you guys think of it)

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

I feel like you could be more judicious with your editing. There's that ten second gap at the beginning of the video which really doesn't need to be there or that could be filled with your introduction. You don't talk over a cutscene that doesn't have any voices, but then break in anyway to comment about Bomberman's hands being balls and how the game is dumb. If you're LPing it and you don't seem to like it, why should I watch? Once you actually got in game, you're spending a loooong time explaining that the map is a grid, which could have taken like one or two sentences to explain. You go to the Karabom guy, say that his explanation sucks, then proceed to listen to it anyway, and you explain the same things or at least the essentials over nothing but scrolling text boxes. There's some little things as well, like when you enter L. Forest, call it L. Forest in your commentary, then go back just to read the sign before proceeding. If you want to blow up all the shrubs, take out all the ones directly in your path, then at the end sweep them all and edit it out, telling us what you collected. Since the whole game so far seems to be centered around Karaboms, why are you glossing over the details of how things work and calling it poo poo? If you say you're not going to bother with Karabom fighting, why are you wasting time collecting the tiles? You even say it's for absolutely no benefit. Some other things, who is Max and why do I care about him? What are the operations the professor offered to tell you about? The game doesn't seem that well written, so you'll need to fill in the gaps for those of us who haven't played every Bomberman game. Check your audio, sometimes you're coming in pretty soft and other times you're fine.

Generally I'd say write yourself a set of notes to go on for your commentary and try to hone your run a little more so that it flows more easily. Edit more harshly, try to stay positive, and I think you can make this video a lot better.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

GNU Order posted:

Bomberman Tournament

Maybe minor edits as well, work on reducing any word stumbling and also I wasn't really annoyed by your negativity but it seems like that might be an issue. In future videos, if there are large rooms where you bomb every object to try to get more stats, maybe fade from when you start to after you're done, or just showing off any good things you get. The area you met Louie, for example. That time it was fine because you showed off some things as well during that, but if you're just trying to collect things, that could be boring. Also, make sure to use judicious use of warping to remove any unneeded backtrack (just saying, it wasn't really a problem).

Also, it might just be me but I don't really get how the Karabon fighting goes, and I didn't get it either when Thornbrain did Bomberman Generations, which basically did the same thing. Definitely explain that more. You pick three moves, but I don't really know what move corresponds to doing what. I see the three stats are there to the right, what do those stand for? Maybe it's really basic and I'm missing it, but could you go over the moves you can pick in the main post (or in another video) and basically what exactly is going on in the fights? Other than that, there's some background static that's noticeable at the start of the video, but the post and video is good (in my opinion).

-----

Now, I have kind of a weird request to post in the sandcastle. I've been running my own multi-game LP thread for six months, and have been using my friend (and roommate) as a second commentator for most of that. Through that time, I feel like our interaction in the videos started off strong, but it almost seems like the energy has been going away since the start. What we do is we watch the 'final video' through then commentate over it, usually without pausing and restarting. I am definitely my harshest critic, but as we go on it seems like there's more awkward pauses or not really knowing what to say to him. I'm going to link a few videos from my thread with different recording dates, from less recent to most.

Game: Downhill Domination, recorded late July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkvaODQ9V0
Game: JetX20, recorded early September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxRVMMF1uw
Game: Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2, recorded mid November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4ufAbcYjY
Game: Wakeboarding Unleashed, recorded early January 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofSo5iu1j0

Now, the Wakeboarding Unleashed video is the last one we've done, and we're probably going to record another few episodes tomorrow. I am a little worried about how the rest of this game and any future games will go. I do intend to keep going for many months more. On my end, I make sure to talk about the game in all the videos, but in my mind, if we can go on a tangent, but it's fluid and we keep it going easily so we're not boring or awkward to listen to, that's a successful recording. It's hard to describe, so I really hope that if someone has the time, watch them and try not to let me sway you, because maybe I am going hard on myself. I just want to know if there's any suggestions other than "get someone new" because he does want to do these with me and we interact same as we ever did outside of recording my LPs.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Fix the aspect ratio maybe? Are those stretched, or do they just have black bars on the sides?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Fix the aspect ratio maybe? Are those stretched, or do they just have black bars on the sides?
Not really sure what you mean? The game runs in 320x200 and I doubled that to 640x400 (except for the cinematics of the game which run in 640x480, and I figured it was fine to resize those down to 640x400).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Not really sure what you mean? The game runs in 320x200 and I doubled that to 640x400 (except for the cinematics of the game which run in 640x480, and I figured it was fine to resize those down to 640x400).
Exactly. It runs in 320x200, but also in a 4:3 ratio. The pixels weren't square in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recorded my first LP the other night of Hotline Miami. The only glaringly obvious flaws to me are that I jump in a little quickly, I'm perhaps trying to rush into explaining things and the audio levels between game and mic audio aren't perfect. Also I feel I could explain game mechanics better. Apart from that I'm new to making these myself so any criticism would be welcome.

Let's Play Hotline Miami - Episode 1

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 9, 2013

• Locked thread