Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Playing FF9 on the Vita, and is it supposed to be so, uh, laggy? I mean that loading times are incredibly long, it takes something like 5 seconds to go from field swoosh to being able to see the battlefield every time you get into a battle. I don't even know why it does that, there's no optical disc to read from. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Playing FF9 on the Vita, and is it supposed to be so, uh, laggy? I mean that loading times are incredibly long, it takes something like 5 seconds to go from field swoosh to being able to see the battlefield every time you get into a battle. I don't even know why it does that, there's no optical disc to read from. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's just a little slower paced. It drives me mad, but some people don't mind it (enough that it's their favorite FF).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently that's not even a loading time, it's hardcoded to do that. Also the battles are pretty slow, a lot of the time I'd give my party commands and by the time they executed them I wanted to give different commands.

Still one of the best FF games :v:

I looked up the PS1/PS2 games section on the PSN store and holy poo poo FF7 is still #1, FF8 is #3, and FF9 is lower than both because people are wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like FF9 a lot but the incredibly slow speed really does mean I couldn't imagine replaying it occasionally like the SNES-era games. It's really loving slow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, playing FF9 recently really makes me appreciate it less because the game is pretty slow and trance is seriously such an annoying mechanic. If the gameplay was faster then it'd be my favorite FF.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Renoistic posted:

Wasn't Grandia 3 well received back in the day? It feels on par with the two first games IMHO.

Grandia 3's story had alot of mommy issues that it never delt with. Literally the main character's mother goes back and fourth from being hated by the main character to being liked. He also switches from refering to her by her first name and then switching back to "Mom". It's just really weird.

I mean it certainly wasn't the first JRPG where you brought your mother with you to help save the world. Many others did it better. :colbert:

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 7, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I guess I'm just a slower-paced guy 'cause I've never been bothered by 9's speed. I didn't even notice it, and still don't. But then, I also thought that Lost Odyssey was perfectly paced for me too. If it requires me to hit pause, it's either a platformer, an RTS/para-RTS, or way too fast.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Donnor posted:

I believe all songs are unlocked by earning a certain amount of Rhythmia, which is just earned by playing songs on any difficulty and any mode.

Okay, good, I'll probably pick it up then.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah, playing FF9 recently really makes me appreciate it less because the game is pretty slow and trance is seriously such an annoying mechanic. If the gameplay was faster then it'd be my favorite FF.

Trance would have been fine if you could "save" it, though I guess that would have made the bosses less of a threat because you could have your entire party tranced at once. But yeah it was the worst when someone would get Trance right before the end of a random battle and oops your meter is empty now!

I love IX but it annoys me because Zidane is literally the worst thief ever (his steal rate is horrendous) and it's one of the few games I can never 100% because gently caress that Hippaul race and jump rope stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, good, I'll probably pick it up then.

Trance would have been fine if you could "save" it, though I guess that would have made the bosses less of a threat because you could have your entire party tranced at once. But yeah it was the worst when someone would get Trance right before the end of a random battle and oops your meter is empty now!

I love IX but it annoys me because Zidane is literally the worst thief ever (his steal rate is horrendous) and it's one of the few games I can never 100% because gently caress that Hippaul race and jump rope stuff.

You didn't even get into how horrible the Card Game maxing is. You have to collect each card once, but they have to have different arrow formations (which are random). So every time you get a card you have to go through and make sure it's not overlapping.

And you don't get anything for it :v:]

Also the treasure ranking that never does anything but is full of easily missable items. FF9 had some weird stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Twelve by Pies posted:

On the flipside, other than VII, IX is the only game with things worth stealing. It might take a while, but at least there's a point to doing it at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF9 is one of those cases where it has a lot of content but doesn't really seem to have something to do with it all. It's neat from a "so much poo poo to do" perspective but they could have done more to make it feel worthwhile.

Especially when combined with the hilarious guide they put out for it it almost seemed like they designed it to be full of esoteric poo poo to try to push their online thing. (Although I don't know if the Japanese version had that too.)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also the treasure ranking that never does anything

Yes it does, you get to find out who Gilgamesh is! :eng101:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You didn't even get into how horrible the Card Game maxing is. You have to collect each card once, but they have to have different arrow formations (which are random). So every time you get a card you have to go through and make sure it's not overlapping.

And you don't get anything for it :v:]

Also the treasure ranking that never does anything but is full of easily missable items. FF9 had some weird stuff.

I get good cards for the tournament in Treno so I can snag the Rebirth Ring and then ignore them for the rest of the game. It's a shame because despite my hatred of 8, I really liked the card game in that one (as long as you didn't screw yourself by spreading Random or Plus around). I mean yeah the card game is...there, but after Treno there's nothing else you can do with it. At least in 8 if you didn't give a poo poo about the card game you could turn the cards you got from battles into items if nothing else.

You don't even need to get all the treasure to get the best treasure ranking either, as I've never gotten the treasures from the jump rope or running games and I still get S rank, which kind of defeats the point of it I would think.

ImpAtom posted:

FF9 is one of those cases where it has a lot of content but doesn't really seem to have something to do with it all. It's neat from a "so much poo poo to do" perspective but they could have done more to make it feel worthwhile.

Especially when combined with the hilarious guide they put out for it it almost seemed like they designed it to be full of esoteric poo poo to try to push their online thing. (Although I don't know if the Japanese version had that too.)

Yeah, there was stuff to do in 9, but most of it wasn't worthwhile except for bragging rights I guess. Not that there hasn't been some of that stuff in other FF games though obviously, just that 9 seems to be the worst about it.

I have to give Bradygames credit though, it took a lot of guts to get people to pay them money for a "guide" that said "If you want to know anything useful, you should be using the internet!" for hundreds of pages.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Momomo posted:

On the flipside, other than VII, IX is the only game with things worth stealing. It might take a while, but at least there's a point to doing it at all.

Actually, stealing's a great way to get some stuff way earlier than you'd normally have access to it in V, though in some cases it means having to put up with RNG bullshit to get a rare steal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well it's an excess of side stuff to do, but really it's disguised flavor. Dump encyclopedias or paragraph-long blurbs about items written by assholes who think they're the next Tolkien or Rowling, that's the way you should do flavor: slightly rewarding and mildly engaging for the player who's interested enough in the world in getting an enriched description of it, but frivolous and not game-changing enough for people who don't give a poo poo.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

I guess I'm just a slower-paced guy 'cause I've never been bothered by 9's speed. I didn't even notice it, and still don't. But then, I also thought that Lost Odyssey was perfectly paced for me too. If it requires me to hit pause, it's either a platformer, an RTS/para-RTS, or way too fast.

Same. I don't see any problem with IX's speed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Well it's an excess of side stuff to do, but really it's disguised flavor. Dump encyclopedias or paragraph-long blurbs about items written by assholes who think they're the next Tolkien or Rowling, that's the way you should do flavor: slightly rewarding and mildly engaging for the player who's interested enough in the world in getting an enriched description of it, but frivolous and not game-changing enough for people who don't give a poo poo.

Oh so like entries for the Clan Primer in XII.

It was the only thing that kept me playing that game. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The White Dragon posted:

How is the encyclopedia stuff any different from that?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well for one, encyclopedias might have an intrinsic reward, but no extrinsic relevance to the gameplay. It's the presentation, too: worldbuilding sidequests are vignettes while encyclopedias are paragraphs with maybe an accompanying picture. This is a difference in design philosophy, but you say it yourself. If they aren't different, why is the more active one frowned upon? Is it because people are using the encyclopedias as surrogates for books so they can tell themselves they totally read something today? Reading imaginary nintendo encyclopedias has always perplexed me because as a medium, its canvas is so encompassing.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 8, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The White Dragon posted:

Well for one, encyclopedias might have an intrinsic reward, but no extrinsic relevance to the gameplay. It's the presentation, too: worldbuilding sidequests are vignettes while encyclopedias are paragraphs with maybe an accompanying picture. This is a difference in design philosophy, but you say it yourself. If they aren't different, why is the more active one frowned upon? Is it because people are using the encyclopedias as surrogates for books so they can tell themselves they totally read something today? Reading imaginary nintendo encyclopedias has always perplexed me because as a medium, its canvas is so encompassing.

While both may be different kinds of flavour, one kind doesn't force me to mash buttons for a jump rope minigame.

(It forces me to spend three hours in the same location to get that last stupid bestiary/item drop entry instead. :shepface:)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okay, I'll give anyone the jump rope poo poo, I haven't even done it. But that's one oddity (I guess you can count Hippaul, but at least that's 100% on you and not random) in a sea of other, much more relevant quests. In a game packed so full of stuff to do--I mean, jump rope is your first impression--I think one fart can be pardoned.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, I'll give anyone the jump rope poo poo, I haven't even done it. But that's one oddity (I guess you can count Hippaul, but at least that's 100% on you and not random) in a sea of other, much more relevant quests. In a game packed so full of stuff to do--I mean, jump rope is your first impression--I think one fart can be pardoned.

Jump rope, jogging, the Mognet repair quest, mother loving Tetra Master, the list goes on.

FF9 was released at the zenith of JRPG bloat, and it shows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

(It forces me to spend three hours in the same location to get that last stupid bestiary/item drop entry instead. :shepface:)

Now memories come flooding back of trying to get Seeq and Bangaa to spawn for hours on end, since it took more of them to get their full entries than any other enemy.

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, I'll give anyone the jump rope poo poo, I haven't even done it. But that's one oddity (I guess you can count Hippaul, but at least that's 100% on you and not random) in a sea of other, much more relevant quests.

They may be relevant, but that doesn't really make them enjoyable or good. Take Chocobo Hot and Cold, it's not like it's terrible or anything, but there's too drat many Chocographs and I'm the kind of person who has to dig up all the ones I can when I first get there, and that can take a couple of hours considering how dickish the game is going to be about being pixel-perfect on the treasure, and if it gives you a Chocograph at all instead of some other worthless item.

Plus the "goal" of the Chocobo mini-game gives you nothing interesting either, oh except you can get a couple of rare cards from the chocobos there, which at that point in the game serve no practical purpose anyway.

Yeah yeah, I guess I have no room to complain since I filled out the Sky Pirates' Den in XII. It's not like I hate IX either, it's absolutely my favorite of the three numbered PS1 games. That doesn't mean I like everything about it though, and it probably contributes to why I don't play through it as much as say, Tactics.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I dunno, I thought Chocobo Hot & Cold was relentlessly addictive, especially because of the pixel-perfect-ness of the digs. Once I first played it, I just couldn't stop. Also a great way to get a Robe of Lords, and the fight against Ozma is awesome.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you're gonna complain about sidequests Hot & Cold ain't the one. That poo poo was awesome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chocobo Hot & Cold hits the gratification part of your brain at just the right frequency to make it fun. It's the perfect Skinner box.

Except for that god drat ocean chocograph.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fister Roboto posted:

Chocobo Hot & Cold hits the gratification part of your brain at just the right frequency to make it fun. It's the perfect Skinner box.

That's why the internet was created.
It is, indeed, the perfect skinner box. Relentlessly addictive.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Aureon posted:

That's why the internet was created.

FF IX was released in 2000. The web as we know it today was a baby back then and I don't believe that there were any sites which guided people to that elusive ocean chocograph (I wasn't aware of any at least). I remember playing it back then and searching for the drat thing. It eventually hit me that the odds of it being off the coast of an island was far more probable than some random point deep in the ocean which is how I eventually found it, but man...that took a long time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember Play Online and how FF9's manual urged me to register on some site for some service that was unavailable for my country.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

FF IX was released in 2000. The web as we know it today was a baby back then and I don't believe that there were any sites which guided people to that elusive ocean chocograph (I wasn't aware of any at least).

Gamefaqs was launched near the end of 1995, and when I started using it in 1998 it already had tons of stuff for big games like Final Fantasy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Veib posted:

Gamefaqs was launched near the end of 1995, and when I started using it in 1998 it already had tons of stuff for big games like Final Fantasy.

Yeah, I remember going to GF to get guides on games where I didnt have a store one. Distinctly remember using one for the whole crafting thing in Vagrant Story, side quests for Crono Cross and character recruitment for Suikoden 2 and I played all of those before FFIX came out.

I remember reading some absurd xenogears joke/parody on one of the guides on how to recruit Ramsus. It involved Dan, his sisters wedding dress and lots of drinking. It was hilarious.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I tried to replay FFIX a bit yesterday. I could only find the 2nd and 4th discs, and the two saves I have on my PS3 are on...disc 1 and 3.

I remember completing the entire of chocobo hot and cold the first time I played through the game, and it was great back then. This time, I did everything as soon as it was available in the story, and it was even better. I do love FFIX to bits though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Veib posted:

I think I first discovered that site in 2001 or 2002. It was harder to learn about sources like that back then. That was back when if you said "world wide web" a lot of people would go "huh? Oh you mean AOL". In any case, I think part of me is happy that I found the ocean chocograph all on my own anyways. :)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember Gamewinners was my favorite until around 2002. No oversight there, I'm pretty sure they had several Aeris revival tricks. Also that was when I first wondered why the heck everyone on there said Aerith.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xavier434 posted:

In any case, I think part of me is happy that I found the ocean chocograph all on my own anyways. :)
Yeah, it only took like two hours, right?

I remember how loving excited I was when I got the "Kweh?!" popup. Of course, the Salvage Islands were the last islands (based on the hint) I checked. In the entire world.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I'm getting misunderstood. I didn't mind actually searching for the treasures when you had the Chocograph. That was fine, and it was a lot of fun. I'm talking about the actual game to get the Chocographs in the Forest/Lagoon/Sky Garden. That poo poo was tedious because, like I said, I have to keep digging until that Moogle says "There aren't any more Chocographs here for now" and that can take a lot of time, especially when the game is really picky about where Choco will allow you to start digging.

It usually ends up with me going "Come on, aren't I done YET?" every time I dig up a Chocograph and the Moogle (was it Kupo?) didn't say I was done.

I dunno, maybe I'm just the odd one out and everybody else loved it (the game itself, not the world map searching I mean).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

It can sometimes feel tedious if you choose to get as many of them as possible all at once. I usually do that because I enjoy taking my time to get the best stuff before moving on to the next part of the game, but there have been playthroughs where I chose to go back whenever I felt like it instead.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Xavier434 posted:

It can sometimes feel tedious if you choose to get as many of them as possible all at once. I usually do that because I enjoy taking my time to get the best stuff before moving on to the next part of the game, but there have been playthroughs where I chose to go back whenever I felt like it instead.

The best way to do H&C is to do in it fits and starts. It's easy to, at the very least, upgrade to a River Chocobo before going through Gizamaluke's Grotto. From there, it's a long time until you can even play the game again, and after that it's best to just sporadically take it on rather than exhuming all possible Chocographs from an area the first go. That said, some Chocographs don't even appear until you upgrade your Chocobo.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.
Biggest problem with FF IX is that there is only Ozma for the superbosses, why are there no others. Ozma is stupidly easy.

All the other stuff, I collected all the chocographs and also the dead pepper treasures, collected all the cards and all that. I rarely do anything like that just for giggles. Collecting all the cards in VIII at least had some gameplay use to break the game at the earliest point and farming items via card mod and CC group on Ragnarok on disc 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baalfrog posted:

Biggest problem with FF IX is that there is only Ozma for the superbosses, why are there no others. Ozma is stupidly easy.

All the other stuff, I collected all the chocographs and also the dead pepper treasures, collected all the cards and all that. I rarely do anything like that just for giggles. Collecting all the cards in VIII at least had some gameplay use to break the game at the earliest point and farming items via card mod and CC group on Ragnarok on disc 4.

There's a few others but they're nothing worthwhile. Hades barely is worth acknowledging.