Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

From what I've heard the "Major = boring" thing is almost entirely a result of Spitting Image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zephro posted:

What are the little red dying things that look a bit like Morph?

They're 'A's. As in AAA credit rating.

e: Poor things are always getting themselves into trouble.

ee: Looking back to find these cartoons I noticed that Rowson has had the whole Government wandering lost in a parched economic desert for months now and I've only just realised the ongoing theme. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, but even when there aren't vultures in the background and the topic is ostensibly something different you can see it underneath everything else:

The best cartoonist.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
In the raft one, does Osbourne have a fake/robot arm? Is he a cyborg now? :ohdear:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

IDS's bloodsucking universal credit formula.

David Cameron and Nick Clegg give unequivocal commitment to deal that 'does what it says on the tin'.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily :downswords::

quote:

‘Wonderful news. My boss has given me a reduction in pay.’

Tried hunting the other newspaper sites but its just depressing.

The Sun is just a kind of CGI cartoon series about vampires, not political. You have to see it to believe it.
Daily Mirror had just alot of comics, Can't access The Times and gently caress paying Murdoch. Morning Star last added one 9th December. :(
Oh and I refuse to visit the daily sport or daily star.

However have a Daily Express.
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas has been the political cartoonist of the Daily Express since 1998. Prior to the Daily Express, he was pocket cartoonist for the Independent on Sunday from 1990-2000, for whom he also contributed both sports cartoons and the ‘Blair Babe’ cartoon strip. He was business cartoonist of the Evening Standard from 1990-1998, and political cartoonist of Punch magazine from 1987-1991, where he created ‘The Safeways’ strip and was also cartoon editor. He was a regular contributor to the Spectator from 1988-1998, providing several covers, spot cartoons and the ‘Wold Affairs’ cartoon strip. He was political cartoonist of the Sunday Telegraph from 1995-1996.

Paul’s work has also appeared in the Sunday Times, The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, Private Eye and Shares Magazine. He has illustrated three books by Hunter Davies for Random House.

:shepface:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
The FT's editorial cartoons - pretty good! No labels here.

And 'Banx' their columnist cartoonist...

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2013

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

big scary monsters posted:

They're 'A's. As in AAA credit rating.
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks. Nice little touch.

quote:

Not getting the enormous spliff reference in this one though...

But yes, the best cartoonist!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Zephro posted:

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks. Nice little touch.

Not getting the enormous spliff reference in this one though...

But yes, the best cartoonist!

Cameron and Clegg's clash over drug law reforms. :420:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/14/nick-clegg-reform-drugs-laws

Zegnar posted:

The FT's editorial cartoons - pretty good! No labels here.

Simple, gets the message across and most minimum of labels. :thumbsup:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 8, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zegnar posted:

And 'Banx' their columnist cartoonist...

I think those are pretty good. Do they always come out in sets of eight?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I think those are pretty good. Do they always come out in sets of eight?

:psyduck: I hope you're being sarcastic, I can't really tell.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I thought the Loch Ness monster one was funny, and the Curiosity one is OK for A Thing Happened with an added weak joke.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mfcrocker posted:

:psyduck: I hope you're being sarcastic, I can't really tell.

I liked the Loch Ness, cop, Indian, and wheelchair cartoons. :shrug:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The one with Depardieu as Obelix is brilliant.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I liked the Loch Ness, cop, Indian, and wheelchair cartoons. :shrug:

I guess I just don't find them very clever? It's just "cops take bribes, Romney is rich, Murderball is a funny name"

Banx seems to be the cartooning equivalent of jokes about airline food. He also draws like known knob Matt

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mfcrocker posted:

I guess I just don't find them very clever? It's just "cops take bribes, Romney is rich, Murderball is a funny name"

Banx seems to be the cartooning equivalent of jokes about airline food. He also draws like known knob Matt

The one about cops taking bribes I liked because the cop was acting like he's the victim.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Fluo posted:

most minimum of labels. :thumbsup:

Confirms my suspicion that the FT has the smartest readers :smug:

quote:

They're not great - they do kind of work when they're run into the column with an article as an illustration but the FT obviously haven't quite figured out how to make that work on the app.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The current If... series is fantastic. I can't get enough of vampire IDS.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was disappointed that the Murderball one wasn't drawn with a Murderball chair, it smacked of laziness.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The poor little planes are adorable. :3:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

No Telegraph it seems today.

Guardian:

Steve Bell on the government's welfare policy.

Indy:

Daily :hitler::

quote:

Stun-guns which are much more powerful than those used by the Police are openly on sale on-line.

quote:

“I know what you’re thinking.-Christmas is over, when is she going home? So okay,Punk. Make my day…Ask the question!”

DailyClassismExpress:

:catstare:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 9, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Seems a bit lazy to copy Steve Bell's IDS as a vampire caricature here. I normally quite like Dave Brown, too.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fluo posted:

Steve Bell on the government's welfare policy.
gently caress poo poo goddamn gently caress motherfucker ugh

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

big scary monsters posted:

Seems a bit lazy to copy Steve Bell's IDS as a vampire caricature here. I normally quite like Dave Brown, too.

That's just what he looks like.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

It's quite a feat for a political cartoon to make me feel the same level of visceral disgust I have for this government.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

It is a delightfully disgusting piece of work.

It very much reminds me of the best known scene in Junji Ito's glyceride.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No party in recent history has increased their share of the vote into their second term. Considering the conservatives didn't win the last election and now people have realised what they're like, it's not looking good for them. Thank gently caress.

Here is an interesting chart that shows the monthly poll results for the last 20 years. Based on that I'd say the next election is pretty much up for grabs - mostly depending on how the economy looks in 2015 I imagine:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbcGhOdG0zTG1EWkVPOEY3OXRmOEIwZmc#gid=2

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Indy:

Daily Heil:

quote:

The Government are considering making cuts to pensioners benefits.

quote:

“Outrageous! Disgraceful! The Bounders are thinking of stopping our bus passes……….er, whatever they are.”

DailyHurfDurfExpress:

No Telegraph today again.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Probably not the best metaphor to use if you're trying to dismiss global warming seeing as Noah was completely right despite being mocked relentlessly and everyone who mocked him died horribly in the flood.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why is it that David Cameron's caricature is typically some bizarre pinkish rubbery creature with big eyes? Is it referencing something I'm not aware of?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

karl fungus posted:

Why is it that David Cameron's caricature is typically some bizarre pinkish rubbery creature with big eyes? Is it referencing something I'm not aware of?

Steve Bell :haw:

Speaking of which, here's today's If...

Fluo
May 25, 2007

karl fungus posted:

This gets asked quite a lot. He kind of morphed into the pink condom over time. But only in Steve Bells work as pointed out above. :3:
Side note some of theses sync over each other time wise.

Originally he was just drawn as a human.

Then he did Cameron and Osborne as 'ToryTubbies'.

Then a Jellyfish.

And then the Condom. The top image [48 hour on the go and still fresh one] he got the idea from when he met Cameron during the Election. He talks about what the condom theme is about.
Steve Bell's election: 'Grimsby's the perfect location for Dave, it's all about fish' http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/video/2010/may/06/general-election-2010-davidcameron

quote:

What David Cameron said to Steve Bell
You can only push the condom joke so far, PM told Guardian cartoonist.

• Strange meeting with David Cameron during the Tory conference this week. I was at the Spectator party with Steve Bell, who, as you cannot have failed to notice, always draws the prime minister with a condom over his head. They have discussed this before, at a chance meeting during the election campaign, when Steve explained that it was because his skin appeared remarkably smooth and even taut, so it looked as if his head was encased in tight rubber.

The PM seemed very friendly. "Hello Steve, hello Simon!" he cried cheerily, but moved straight into the condom question. (One important issue is the teat on the end.) "You can only push the condom so far," Cameron said, which struck me as wise advice in life as well as political cartooning.

We were also struck by the way he would sit in the middle of the conference hall, just like an ordinary delegate. Steve said it was like a Where's Wally? drawing, a line I pinched for the sketch. If you have not yet recycled Tuesday's Guardian, and turn to Steve's cartoon, you can, if you squint, just make out the minuscule condom in the midst of hundreds of delegates' heads.

• There was for the second year a champagne ban at the conference, though this of course did not apply to the Spectator party, which was sponsored by Pol Roger. The prime minister himself drank water throughout, but some of his understrappers were cunningly pouring champagne from the flutes into regular white wine glasses. Under the lighting it was not always possible to detect the bubbles. But we learned that many Tory grandees were at a restaurant dinner, drinking Chateau Pétrus, which is much, much more expensive than champagne. The price was given in the papers as £1,800 a bottle, which is quite a bit of money if you're part of the squeezed middle – though remarkably cheap given that the 2000 Pétrus now sells for £33-£34,000 per case of a dozen, before tax and duty. In other words, they were giving the stuff away. It's not necessarily all that nice anyway. Pétrus at its peak is much older, and the price so stratospheric that only a Russian oligarch, a Chinese billionaire or a Tory donor could possibly afford it.

• Talking of things which cost more than they are worth, a group of us visited the Castle fine art gallery in the Birmingham conference centre. Their main attraction at the moment is a series of prints by Bob Dylan. That Bob Dylan. They weren't to my taste, though while I know nothing about art, I haven't a clue what I like. The scenes, an odd mix of landscapes, townscapes and people, were not especially beguiling, and the prints were in long editions – 295, for example.

Yet they sold for the same amount as a bottle of Pétrus. The woman in the gallery told me that they had had a bunch of Dylan's prints in 2008 which had sold for £5,000. They were now being resold at £18,000. I asked why. "Well," she said, "Bob Dylan has millions and millions of fans. It doesn't take many of them to push the price up."

Poor old Van Gogh. If only he had made hit albums he too would have been appreciated in his lifetime.

• The death of Tony Curtis reminds me of a favourite, and ancient, joke. Chap goes into a barber and asks for a Tony Curtis cut. The barber snips and shaves away until he is completely bald. "Hey, you've taken it all off! That's not a Tony Curtis cut! I don't believe you know what a Tony Curtis cut looks like!"

"I should do," says the barber. "I've seen The King And I three times!"

• A motherly lady in Marks & Spencer asked me if I had liked Birmingham. I said I had lived there for five years in the late 1960s. "It must look very different now," she said, and I said I agreed, though in truth it looks very much the same, being endless dual carriageways, barred against pedestrians, interspersed with small businesses, restaurants, greasy spoons, tobacconists and shops selling saris, all fitted in where they can, yet almost impossible to reach on foot.

It's as if someone had slotted umpteen concession stands around the Monte Carlo grand prix track. The canal section is pleasant enough, but much of the rest of the city makes you ponder that if it looks like that after 10 years of prosperity, what will it resemble after five years of recession?

The ICC, the conference centre, is the most bewildering structure I have ever been in, and I work in the Houses of Parliament. Everything is numbered, so you have to go, for instance, to floor 3, hall 3, door 3. Staircases seem to be scattered randomly, at dizzying angles, and to miss out whole storeys. There are bridges, escalators, dead ends and sudden vast empty spaces. The whole thing looks as if it were designed by MC Escher, the chap who did those trompe l'oeil drawings of castles in which people trudge up endless steps without ever actually rising. Even after four days I was permanently lost, rambling around until I reached my destination by the sheerest chance.

• The weirdest, yet one of the jolliest, parties was thrown by the government of Bermuda. It was in the trendy Ikon gallery, which happened to have an exhibition of 18th century Japanese prints, many erotic and some very rude indeed. (Though I gather the really filthy ones are still under guard at the British Museum.) So in close juxtaposition you had glossy Conservatives in suits, elegant Bermudan diplomats, rum punch and pictures of lecherous old Japanese men having their wicked way with fragile young women. It seemed all too much, so our group staggered off for a quick Chinese meal.

Guardian:

The prime minister is due to make a landmark speech on Europe – and Nick Clegg owns a onesie

Torygraph:

Indy:

Daily Heil:

quote:

The Government have announced that they intend to close seven old prisons.

quote:

“Twenty five years I’ve spent on that tunnel!”

Daily Royal News And Or Some Thing About Home Prices Or Pensions REPEAT 365s:Daily Express:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Thanks for that incredibly in-depth explanation! I haven't been following UK politics that much, but now that I've been seeing some of the cartoons, some of which have horrifying pink condom creatures, this definitely seems to be something interesting to read up on. This whole thread has been pretty entertaining, too!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Urgh, being in the EU is just like being a slave, what?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kurtofan posted:

Urgh, being in the EU is just like being a slave, what?

It's the Torygraph, paper of mentalist euroskeptics.

Ok Brown, I defended your Nosferatu IDS, but that doesn't look like Cameron. It looks like Cameron as drawn by Bell.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

karl fungus posted:

Thanks for that incredibly in-depth explanation! I haven't been following UK politics that much, but now that I've been seeing some of the cartoons, some of which have horrifying pink condom creatures, this definitely seems to be something interesting to read up on. This whole thread has been pretty entertaining, too!

It's cool, there is alot more to it but the video Bell explains it quite well. :3:

Can't remember the full thing which was later explained in an article by Bell but can't find it. :smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 11, 2013

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20981611
http://www.nspcc.org.uk/news-and-views/our-news/child-protection-news/13-01-11-yewtree-report/yewtree-report-pdf_wdf93652.pdf

quote:

......The 30-page document detailed a number of findings, including:

Savile offended at 13 hospitals, including Great Ormond Street, with one offence recorded at Wheatfields Hospice in 1977
A total of 14 offences were recorded in relation to schools
Savile's youngest victim was an eight-year-old boy, and the oldest was a 47-year-old woman
The earliest allegation is from 1955 in Manchester and the last is from 2009
Offences were carried out at the BBC between 1965 and 2006, including at the last Top of the Pops recording
Peak offending took place between 1966 and 1976
A total of 450 people have made sexual abuse allegations against Savile since October - of whom 73% were under 18, with most aged 13 to 16
There is "no clear evidence" he operated in paedophile ring, although "whether he was part of an informal network" is still being investigated.....

:suicide:

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Is it just me or does this cartoon imply it's old news/crimes and therefore a waste of police time? I'm struggling to think of a non-terrible interpretation for this.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Puntification posted:

Is it just me or does this cartoon imply it's old news/crimes and therefore a waste of police time? I'm struggling to think of a non-terrible interpretation for this.

I think it is meant to be the police should have been breaking down his door years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Geokinesis posted:

I think it is meant to be the police should have been breaking down his door years ago.

Yeah, if Savile's abuse was as widespread as is claimed then it's nothing short of astonishing that it didn't come out until after his death. This one looks like it's asking how he was able to escape justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Makes sense I guess seeing it was from the Telegraph put me in the mindset to interpret it in the least charitable way possible.

• Locked thread