Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm as bad as you, if not worse. Just the other day I was contemplating selling my X100 to get something with zoom, or interchangeable lenses. Now I'm lusting after an X100S.

Yeah it's tough, my X100 has served me well and I've taken a few thousand pictures with it, but the X100s pretty much removes the vast majority of issues it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
At this point the only thing I use my 7D for is when I travel. I bring a ultra wide, a fast 50mm, and a good all around 17-50 2.8. I'm so sick of lugging everything around.

I'm seriously considering selling all my gear for a x100s. Holy poo poo. The x100 was awesome enough, but I couldn't imagine using something with slow autofocus like my gf's s95.

What's the lens situation like? If I got the x100s, I'd be missing my 10-22 ultrawide. I'm thinking one of those 8mm fisheyes + some good software might fill the gap.

Watching that video of the autofocus and split detection has me very, very tempted.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

negativeneil posted:

At this point the only thing I use my 7D for is when I travel. I bring a ultra wide, a fast 50mm, and a good all around 17-50 2.8. I'm so sick of lugging everything around.

I'm seriously considering selling all my gear for a x100s. Holy poo poo. The x100 was awesome enough, but I couldn't imagine using something with slow autofocus like my gf's s95.

What's the lens situation like? If I got the x100s, I'd be missing my 10-22 ultrawide. I'm thinking one of those 8mm fisheyes + some good software might fill the gap.

Watching that video of the autofocus and split detection has me very, very tempted.

You could also get an X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4 to cover your fast 50 and either spring for the upcoming XF 14mm ($900) or get an EOS adapter and just use your 10-22. I've mounted my Tokina 12-24 to my X-Pro 1 and it works as advertised (better than on my 7D even which misfocuses ths lens by several feet in any AF other than Center Point). The rub is that either you shoot wide open or have a Canon body around to set the aperture before you take the lens out shooting. There is also a 12-24 f/4 on the roadmap but who knows when that will be ready.

It's all rigmarole but really the X100 does one thing well and that is taking excellent 35 or 27mm photos and being with you because it is compact and you want to shoot with it. I've never had much luck with the built-in panoramic mode or stitching multiple exposures to fake a wider angle and it sounds like you need different focal lengths.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

spog posted:

I've just found the GF5 with the 14-42 powerzoom for the same price as the GF3 with the 14mm. I would like that lense as it gives some flexibility when walking around

Does that look like a better deal, with sourcing a fast prime elsewhere as I must have something fast for low-light fun?
My gut reaction is that the GF3 w/ 14mm is a better deal than the GF5 w/ kit lens, and that you could go the other way and source a zoom / longer prime later on. I won't quote prices because I've seen them vary a lot, but 14–42 zoom lenses are consistently cheaper than the 14mm prime, and I'm honestly not sure there's enough improvement from the GF3 to the GF5 to warrant the upgrade.

... for what it's worth I recently bought a GF3 with the 14mm pancake, and then ended up returning it for an Olympus E-PM2 and a 14mm from eBay. It ended up being more expensive, but from all accounts the E-PM2 is a better camera than the GF3 so I think it was worth it.

This is all assuming you actually want the 14mm, of course. The 20mm / 1.7 is probably a better candidate for the "fast prime", and sadly (to my knowledge) isn't in a kit outside of the GF1, which I doubt you could find anymore.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Baron Dirigible posted:

My gut reaction is that the GF3 w/ 14mm is a better deal than the GF5 w/ kit lens, and that you could go the other way and source a zoom / longer prime later on. I won't quote prices because I've seen them vary a lot, but 14–42 zoom lenses are consistently cheaper than the 14mm prime, and I'm honestly not sure there's enough improvement from the GF3 to the GF5 to warrant the upgrade.

... for what it's worth I recently bought a GF3 with the 14mm pancake, and then ended up returning it for an Olympus E-PM2 and a 14mm from eBay. It ended up being more expensive, but from all accounts the E-PM2 is a better camera than the GF3 so I think it was worth it.

This is all assuming you actually want the 14mm, of course. The 20mm / 1.7 is probably a better candidate for the "fast prime", and sadly (to my knowledge) isn't in a kit outside of the GF1, which I doubt you could find anymore.

Thanks for the thoughts.
From what I can see on Amazon, the prices are:

code:
14-42mm        £279
14mm           £276
20mm           £270
GF3+14mm       £299
GF5 + 14-42mm  £299 (Argos)
Now, I want the 14-42mm as I want a small zoom as a P&S replacement
I also want a fast prime to use it as my DSLR replacement.

Looking at the numbers, it seems best to buy the GF5+14-42mm as a kit.

If I really want a 14mm, I should then buy the GF3+14mm kit as well and resell the body for £100 - which means I have paid £200 for the 14mm

If I want the 20mm, I should buy the lens on its own and bite the bullet for £270

EDIT: the E-PM2 is coming in at £500 for a kit - which is more than I want to spend on an impulse buy

spog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 8, 2013

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

That's weird, all my local retail has the PZ cheaper than either of the prime lenses (not by a whole lot, about $50, but still). I didn't check Amazon but I assumed it would be the same there.

And yeah, I think your reasoning with the GF5 is the best way to do it. I was tempted to pick up the E-PM2 and a GF2 kit w/14mm lens for AU$300, but then I found a 14mm for $200 on eBay which I'm 99% certain was part of a kit. Saved me $100 of outright spending and the effort of selling the body.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
So last night I went to a local camera store that sells Leica systems. After reading about these things and seeing how expensive everything was, I wanted to check one out in person, purely out of morbid curiosity. They had an m9 with a 35mm f/2 on display, and the thing had what amounted to a dead battery in it, so I wasn't able to see how it shot, but while I was peeking through the viewfinder and trying the focus, all I could think of is how much it reminded me of my mother's old Canonette. Honestly, the thing felt like a dinosaur, and the 7-segment counter visible through the viewfinder wasn't helping change that opinion. On the flip side, it was built like a tank, and I am honestly intrigued at how using something like that would change the way I take photos. Sadly, the body alone would require serious saving, and I would likely only be able to afford one lens, and not even a Leica branded one at that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The depreciation of digital gear would scare me away personally. Nevermind that you could get a high-end scanner, a stone mint M6 or a couple bessas/minoltas and a few lenses for the price of one body.

Dkennedys8
May 16, 2005
Don't read this!
If anyone is looking for a 4/3 adapter to m4/3 for Oly. Amazon has the MMF-3 for $110 and there is an Olympus rebate (as a Visa gift Card) for $50 on it.

Link To MMF-3

Link To Rebate

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

X100 video showing focus peaking, AF speed, Q menu, split image focusing, new focus point select method, and the new Auto ISO operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tNlfFcgQ0

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new Auto ISO menu will trickle backwards through the series.

Yup buying the poo poo out of it when it comes out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

That's weird, all my local retail has the PZ cheaper than either of the prime lenses (not by a whole lot, about $50, but still). I didn't check Amazon but I assumed it would be the same there.

And yeah, I think your reasoning with the GF5 is the best way to do it. I was tempted to pick up the E-PM2 and a GF2 kit w/14mm lens for AU$300, but then I found a 14mm for $200 on eBay which I'm 99% certain was part of a kit. Saved me $100 of outright spending and the effort of selling the body.

Congratulations, you've just cost me £305!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

krooj posted:

So last night I went to a local camera store that sells Leica systems. After reading about these things and seeing how expensive everything was, I wanted to check one out in person, purely out of morbid curiosity. They had an m9 with a 35mm f/2 on display, and the thing had what amounted to a dead battery in it, so I wasn't able to see how it shot, but while I was peeking through the viewfinder and trying the focus, all I could think of is how much it reminded me of my mother's old Canonette. Honestly, the thing felt like a dinosaur, and the 7-segment counter visible through the viewfinder wasn't helping change that opinion. On the flip side, it was built like a tank, and I am honestly intrigued at how using something like that would change the way I take photos. Sadly, the body alone would require serious saving, and I would likely only be able to afford one lens, and not even a Leica branded one at that.

Well for one, a lot of my friends who use a Leica, whether digital or film, tend to use it with zone focusing when doing street photography so I think that would change the way you take photos.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was randomly walking around Best Buy today and was playing with a NEX-5R. I have to say, I'm extremely wanting for it. I'll have to look for a used/refurbished body later this Summer when I can afford to replace my NEX-3.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Well for one, a lot of my friends who use a Leica, whether digital or film, tend to use it with zone focusing when doing street photography so I think that would change the way you take photos.

Right, and that actually has appeal to me; not that the same style of photography can't be applied with other camera types, it's just that other body types offer conveniences that make focusing like this a tertiary thought, if that.

Regarding rangefinders in general, it would be significantly cheaper up front to get an older M6 or M4-P and either a Zeiss or Cosina lens (which I can re-use on my X-E1). Film scanners seem to be a couple hundred, and I can do B&W processing in my bathroom, if need be. To go much cheaper, I can try to get a Canon QL or Canonet, though I need to read up on what they offer in terms of lenses... but I digress.

Really excited to see what the Fuji 23mm (~35 eff.) is like :haw:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

Right, and that actually has appeal to me; not that the same style of photography can't be applied with other camera types, it's just that other body types offer conveniences that make focusing like this a tertiary thought, if that.

Regarding rangefinders in general, it would be significantly cheaper up front to get an older M6 or M4-P and either a Zeiss or Cosina lens (which I can re-use on my X-E1). Film scanners seem to be a couple hundred, and I can do B&W processing in my bathroom, if need be. To go much cheaper, I can try to get a Canon QL or Canonet, though I need to read up on what they offer in terms of lenses... but I digress.

Really excited to see what the Fuji 23mm (~35 eff.) is like :haw:

Cheaper yet to go Voigtlander Rangefinder body and lenses.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

krooj posted:

A lot of my friends either pick the M2 or M6, then for a lens the 35mm value for money choice would be the Cosina Voigtlander 35/1.4 MC. IF you need cheaper you can get a Bessa R3A/M like what Musket said, although every one of my friends who started with a Bessa have now upgraded to Leica M2/4/6s in the end.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

In regards to the X100s - I've never pre-ordered a camera before. Is there typically any reason to pick one of Amazon/Adorama/B&H over another?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Shitf*ck!

I just received my GF5 after a day of waiting in for delivery.

It came with the big 14-42mm lens, not the tiny Power OS one. It's a gently caress up on their part as they quote the correct lens model in the description.

and, as a final kick in the teeth, the online price has just been reduced by £30.

So, I can take it back for a full refund. Or I can take it back, refund it and then rebuy it for £30 cheaper.

According to Amazon prices, the kit with the big lens is £295, the small lens is £483....is it really worth £188 for a smaller, but not faster, lens?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dkennedys8 posted:

If anyone is looking for a 4/3 adapter to m4/3 for Oly. Amazon has the MMF-3 for $110 and there is an Olympus rebate (as a Visa gift Card) for $50 on it.

Link To MMF-3

Link To Rebate

drat it, right after I got one myself.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

spog posted:

According to Amazon prices, the kit with the big lens is £295, the small lens is £483....is it really worth £188 for a smaller, but not faster, lens?

It's about the same or worse, depending on who you ask. I'd wager there's quite a bit of sample variation since some rate it higher than the older 14-45 and some say it's worse than even the old oly kit. It's only small when not in use, it extends when you turn the camera on. Its main advantage is that it's quiet/smooth for video use. I wouldn't bother with the expense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Startyde posted:

It's about the same or worse, depending on who you ask. I'd wager there's quite a bit of sample variation since some rate it higher than the older 14-45 and some say it's worse than even the old oly kit. It's only small when not in use, it extends when you turn the camera on. Its main advantage is that it's quiet/smooth for video use. I wouldn't bother with the expense.

I was gutted at first.

Now, I am looking at the options and it still seems a good deal, even though it is not the spectacular one I first thought.

I paid £300 for the GF5 + 14-42 (big)
Amazon says it should be £300 for the body+big or £485 for body+small

Even ebay only trims £50 of those prices.

My gut feeling is that I'm going to be buying a 14/20mm prime anyway as I am a fast lens junkie, so why spend another £100+ for a smaller lens that I won't like?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

spog posted:

My gut feeling is that I'm going to be buying a 14/20mm prime anyway as I am a fast lens junkie, so why spend another £100+ for a smaller lens that I won't like?

This is true. If you've got an MFT body and don't have the 20mm you're missing out. If I ever jump systems I'll keep around something just as a rear lens cap for it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Startyde posted:

This is true. If you've got an MFT body and don't have the 20mm you're missing out. If I ever jump systems I'll keep around something just as a rear lens cap for it.

The nice lady at Argos just refunded me £30, so I am keeping it. I think that £270 for the GF5 + big 14-42mm is worth it (it's practically the body-only price).

I'll get a prime in the near future - possibly from ebay and save a bit of money (I don't mind used/imported lenses, but bodies I prefer to buy new from a local retailer).

I could have got a better lens with a GF3 for the same price, but it would always nag me that the GF3 isn't quite as good as the GF5.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
For the longest time I had been telling myself that I wouldn't really need the 20mm since I already had the awesome 25mm prime. But secretly, I have been coveting the 20mm all the time. It's just so flaaat :allears:

Your posts finally drove me over the edge and I placed the order..

Edit: oh and I also ordered the BlackRapid Metro strap. I've had a clunky and ugly homemade sling strap for a while now

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

3 hours to charge the battery!! How does such a small battery hold that much electricity?

I can't find any 3rd party replacements in the UK and £20 for a genuine one is a bit rich.

What are people doing for cases? It;s small enough to stick in the bottom of a bag, along with my keys, etc.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just got a (Samsung) 30mm f/2 pancake lens mostly because I could and it was fairly cheap ($200) but I'm wondering if the low-light performance is really going to be that much better than the 18-55 OIS, considering that the kit zoom performs best around 30mm and the pancake doesn't have any IS. I mean it should be better with a tripod or on a flat surface but otherwise it seems like one would be better off with a smaller aperture and IS.

Dkennedys8
May 16, 2005
Don't read this!

DJExile posted:

drat it, right after I got one myself.

Yea it's a good deal. Even bought it before I ordered my OM-D. Which just came today! drat is Live Time a cool feature.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

spog posted:

What are people doing for cases? It;s small enough to stick in the bottom of a bag, along with my keys, etc.

I use an everready style "leather" case from amazon. Doesn't add too much to the bulk and the bottom half adds a lot of grip to make handling easier.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goddamn why can't this camera be a little cheaper :negative:

http://rx1files.tumblr.com/

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
After 1 week with mine, it's worth every single penny to me. I don't even want to pick up anything else.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm still baffled as to why it doesn't have a built in evf.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Because it would have to be a bigger camera. I'd rather have it fit in my jacket pocket. The lcd is fine, even in bright sunlight.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just got a NEX-5R and I'm looking into old manual fast primes. Not looking into spending too much, but is there a consensus for a best bang for your buck combo?

Looking for a 50mm or a 35mm equivalent on the APS-C sensor. What are you guys' favourite inexpensive manual focus lenses for the NEX?

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Constellation I posted:

Just got a NEX-5R and I'm looking into old manual fast primes. Not looking into spending too much, but is there a consensus for a best bang for your buck combo?

Looking for a 50mm or a 35mm equivalent on the APS-C sensor. What are you guys' favourite inexpensive manual focus lenses for the NEX?

Minolta SR-mount lenses (MD and MC) are small, built like tanks and pretty drat great optically. There was a review of one of the cheapest ones on SAL recently (link) which makes a decent case for them.

As for the quoted focal lengths, you'll find some very decent 50mm equivalents (~30mm) with reasonable price-tags, but a Rokkor-brand 35mm equivalent (~20mm) is significantly more expensive. Sigma actually made some surprisingly good lenses for the mount though, their Super Wide II (24mm f/2.8) is just as good as any non-German lens from the same decade

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Constellation I posted:

Pentax K-mount is a good system to go with because lenses are plentiful and if you can't get a Pentax-branded lens, there were/are lots of companies that made K-mount lenses. K-mount also easily adapts to M42 screw mount which expands your lens possibilities even more. Personally, I use Olympus OM lenses which are excellent, but they're a little more expensive and harder to find. I'm only using them because I was already using OM cameras and had the lenses.

Like Tzar said, finding a 50mm equivalent won't be too bad because back in the film days, 28mm f/2.8 lenses were common, but finding a 35mm equivalent will be difficult because ultra-wides were not very common. The Sony 16mm f/2.8 will give you roughly 28mm equivalent coverage.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RustedChrome posted:

After 1 week with mine, it's worth every single penny to me. I don't even want to pick up anything else.

I hate you :(

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HPL posted:

The Sony 16mm f/2.8 will give you roughly 28mm equivalent coverage.

Wouldn't the 16mm translate to a 24mm equivalent?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Played with a Sony NEX 6 today, and I'm really considering if I still want to upgrade to the X100s. Really nice camera, I just don't know what I'd stick on there as a "killer" lens. I've been spoiled with the Fuji 23mm f2.

teraflame posted:

I'm still baffled as to why it doesn't have a built in evf.

Because they made the NEX 6.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

Wouldn't the 16mm translate to a 24mm equivalent?

Yes but 28mm is a more common focal length. That and I said "roughly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Anybody given the new Oly 17/1.8 a whirl yet? The icy pre-release reviews still have me anxious about spending five hundred for it.