Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to vote in favor of a Western theme, assuming people won't feel restricted by the availability of parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I vote for Wild West. Such an awesome theme and the really creative things people have done to create a western piece is astonishing.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
I wouldn't be surprised, or disappointed, if they put out a Wild Wild West theme complete with robot spiders and Will Smith.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

hxcorpse posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, or disappointed, if they put out a Wild Wild West theme complete with robot spiders and Will Smith.

I would buy the hell out of that.
It is, unashamedly, one of my favourite ever (bad) films.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Keep in mind the build-off has two themes to pick from per period, feel free to cast two votes, the top two themes will be used!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Speaking of the speculation chat from last page, now is apparently a good time to sell the walking AT-AT.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

Speaking of the speculation chat from last page, now is apparently a good time to sell the walking AT-AT.

Why haven't they done a UCS version of that yet? I'm not that into Star Wars but still have a love of that vehicle.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Counting the days until someone makes a lifesize S.H.I.V. platform for Lego X-Com cosplay.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

ireladd posted:

Why haven't they done a UCS version of that yet? I'm not that into Star Wars but still have a love of that vehicle.

They may well, the walking AT-AT has a technic skeleton and could upsize. I don't know if it would still walk, but whatever, I figure UCS are more display pieces.

I ordered the walking version from lego.com a while ago, and I've been tempted to build it so many times. But they're going for $300 NIB (and 150ish no box, still higher than retail), which you can't ask for too much more in terms of lego value. In fact I think the people buying NIB now are themselves speculating on getting more in the future, just based on the speed of bids and the number of bidders.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Personally, I'd vote for Wild West and Mecha, but only if they're combined into Wild West Mechas.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ireladd posted:

Technically they did (10178 is considered UCS), they just haven't done a $300 UCS version yet. I think their definition has changed over time a bit.

Although I was surprised that Lego considers the big playable Death Star UCS too.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

FadingChord posted:

Personally, I'd vote for Wild West and Mecha, but only if they're combined into Wild West Mechas.

This sums up my vote nicely I think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got the latest Lego catalog with Chima stuff in it, looks pretty neat. Another thing that stands out that I just got to is the new Friends stuff. They seem to have really taken the criticism to heart and varied things a lot, with there now being a Karate Class set, Magician set, and Soccer Practice set.

I'm also probably gonna have to buy the "Power Mech" set. It's literally an off-brand modernized Springer. Probably made specifically to say "hey Hasbro, we do building block toys better than you".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can just imagine parents buying that set thinking it actually transforms.

OTOH, the Transformers in the movies do seem to just break into a million Lego pieces and recombine so maybe it's more accurate.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I got the rendering stuff set up, and have been going through some LDD stuff from the past.
Here are a few pics I like:

Hope you like them.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
That Piano is amazing and now I want to build a real one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't know how people do LDD. I loaded it up and having endless pieces and a blank canvas is just intimidating. Do you already know what you want to build, and just use this to actualize it?

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I usually have a pretty clear picture of what I want to build. The great advantage of LDD is being able to build in the air. I can get parts set up in a vacuum and fit them together once I have an idea of how to fit them together. One disadvantage at the moment is that LDD is 32bit only, which makes some models break the process limit.

For the campervan I used the instruction booklet for the van itself, and then I used copy and paste liberally to get the outer skin for the trailer set up floating at the right ride height, building down to the wheels and inside to create the interior.
I just remembered that I promised to post the .lxf for that, so here goes:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=31BAA1E21

I cheated with the engine mount, it's not true to the physical build, where the wheels actually drive the belt, because building inside is a chore what with the snap-to of the bricks. I'm still working on the hand-of-god steering setup, sadly it has to cross through the bench seat setup, and there are no 2x2 tiles with technic holes.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

AllisonByProxy posted:

That Piano is amazing and now I want to build a real one.

Here is the .lxf, have at it:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=74E555EF1

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Geez, shop.lego can be pretty slow sometimes. I ordered the Minecraft set on 12/26, it shipped 12/31, and it's still in transit somewhere. Guess I'm spoiled by Amazon, but even TRU is way faster than that with their free shipping.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

smackfu posted:

I don't know how people do LDD. I loaded it up and having endless pieces and a blank canvas is just intimidating. Do you already know what you want to build, and just use this to actualize it?

I generally have an idea of what i want to build, but no specific scale or design in mind, i just keep chucking pieces at it until i get a good starting point.
If my stream archive would've been saved you could have seen my usual workflow in LDD, might do another one of those sometime.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Intoxication posted:

I got the rendering stuff set up, and have been going through some LDD stuff from the past.
Here are a few pics I like:

Hope you like them.

Those are all fantastic, but this is my favourite:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I tried a baby grand one time but it was only so-so; I'd love to see a player piano as would look at home in a wild west saloon

Tyger41
Oct 8, 2012
My new alarm clock!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Target finally put up their new 2013 stock and let me just say that Galaxy Squad and Chima look utterly ridiculous. I bought the cheapest of the two sets (~12bux ones) for my gf and I put together without really having an interest into any more of either based solely on how crazy they are.

I have to say, the awesome Alien Conquest sets (the alien side, not the ADF ones) kind of spoiled me for the Space series for a while. Nothing really seems as cool, but then again I am not really the target audience of 10 year olds.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

smackfu posted:

Geez, shop.lego can be pretty slow sometimes. I ordered the Minecraft set on 12/26, it shipped 12/31, and it's still in transit somewhere. Guess I'm spoiled by Amazon, but even TRU is way faster than that with their free shipping.

I got mine today!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone had luck seeing/finding the Kraang Lab Escape set? I never see it in stores, and Amazon has it for sale between $20-26. I just said gently caress it and ordered it 'Site to Store' on Walmart.com.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
The "Razcal's Glider" set is a pretty nifty build, although the flick-missile gimmick seems even more pointless than usual.

I actually kind of like Legends of Chima. The premise reminds me a little of the old Xevoz toys; except instead of multiple factions based on the elements, it's animal species. My only complaint is that all the factions but the wolves have two sets. The promo videos for the Chima television program feature at least two more factions (ape, rhino), though, so maybe they've already got more sets coming down the pipeline. I could see somebody developing/adapting tabletop rules specifically for the toys.

Just imagine that it's the mirror-universe Fabuland.

fygar fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 9, 2013

GigantoR
Jan 10, 2006

WOOOOOO!!!
I picked this guy up today:

It looks great, but oddly hollow from the bottom. It is surprisingly large too.

I may rebuild into the tow truck, but I'm liking the sports car for now

GigantoR fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 9, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

A local store found some mars mission sets sitting somewhere in their warehouse and put them out for rediculous prices, 8 euros for 7691. The store has changed owners at least once since the sets went out of production, but I still do not understand the reasoning behind the prices. Would have prefered technic though, since I mainly build with that these days.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GigantoR posted:

I picked this guy up today:

It looks great, but oddly hollow from the bottom. It is surprisingly large too.

I may rebuild into the tow truck, but I'm liking the sports car for now

Holy poo poo, that looks exactly like the car from the 2001 Spy Hunter Remake. Mod in some machine guns and missile launchers (and find a way to make it turn into a boat) and you're pretty much there. I gotta pick that one up.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Ika posted:

A local store found some mars mission sets sitting somewhere in their warehouse and put them out for rediculous prices, 8 euros for 7691. The store has changed owners at least once since the sets went out of production, but I still do not understand the reasoning behind the prices. Would have prefered technic though, since I mainly build with that these days.

Please tell me you bought them! If not, could you grab me one?!?!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I finally took the plunge this week and ordered the VW Camper van, I'm expecting it to be delivered by Friday.

Really excited to finally get my hands on this set. I basically decided to ignore smaller purchases (like the Vampire Limo, etc) in favor of big ones from here on out. Next up is the Haunted House, then the Sopwith.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hamburlgar posted:

Please tell me you bought them! If not, could you grab me one?!?!

I have one, I don't know what I will do with it yet though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

kefkafloyd posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks exactly like the car from the 2001 Spy Hunter Remake. Mod in some machine guns and missile launchers (and find a way to make it turn into a boat) and you're pretty much there. I gotta pick that one up.

That car looks awesome. Does Lego have a reasoning behind making random internal bits weird colors? I've noticed that on a number of sets in the last few years.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sloppy posted:

That car looks awesome. Does Lego have a reasoning behind making random internal bits weird colors? I've noticed that on a number of sets in the last few years.

I think it helps with the instructions and saves on cost if they already have that piece being produced in quantity.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

I always assumed it was to make kids feel better about their own "rainbow warrior" creations. I've noticed the interiors of their large sculptures are always done the same way. For individuals, that totally makes sense -- why buy tons of white bricks no one is ever going to see -- but for LEGO group not so much, they've got so many bricks that the cost of a white brick over a blue one is inconsequential. The only excuse I can come up with that fits with the ethics and attitude of TLG is that it's done because it makes kids happier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

einTier posted:

I always assumed it was to make kids feel better about their own "rainbow warrior" creations. I've noticed the interiors of their large sculptures are always done the same way. For individuals, that totally makes sense -- why buy tons of white bricks no one is ever going to see -- but for LEGO group not so much, they've got so many bricks that the cost of a white brick over a blue one is inconsequential. The only excuse I can come up with that fits with the ethics and attitude of TLG is that it's done because it makes kids happier.

:confused:

What do they need an "excuse" for? Why on earth wouldn't it fit with the "ethics and attitude" of the LEGO Group? It simplifies inventory management for them, makes instructions more readable, and gives people more colors if they break down a set to build other things, all without affecting the assembled model's display value. It's pretty much an unmitigated positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's pretty much an unmitigated positive.

Except it looks weird on the bottom.