Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Went to MEPS, got a 98 on the asvab and auto qualified for Nuke. However I got a "D" once in algebra when I was a freshman in high school 8 years ago. Gotta get a waiver for that. Sitting on hands for a week hoping it goes through, if not I have to take the NAPT, which will apparently over ride the waiver somehow.

How much are they offering for sign on bonuses these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I got 15k but the other guys in my class mostly got 12k

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Did you pound him?

At least I got my fair share of warnings and expected things to start sucking. If you guys encouraged me I could not even imagine how horrifying my first trip into the Rickover would have been.

It's not that bad. And besides, if your complaints about being a Navy Nuke revolve around your A/Power school experience you must have really lucked out in the fleet.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

ChewedFood posted:

I got 15k but the other guys in my class mostly got 12k

drat they sure got you. I got 25k when I came in.

Conqueror Bounma
Sep 1, 2004

Hobolicious posted:

How much are they offering for sign on bonuses these days?

11k I believe.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I got 1.3k.

After taxes.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I got $4k and the Navy College Fund. But that sweet NCF money gives me an extra $200 a month on my GI Bill BAH.

If I had taken the $10k they offered me instead of the NCF and invested it, HAH I would have bought a Camaro. Who are we kidding?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not that bad. And besides, if your complaints about being a Navy Nuke revolve around your A/Power school experience you must have really lucked out in the fleet.

That implies fleet experience. He's not done with power school yet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I suppose my tenses were unclear. If, once you have been to the fleet, you still consider NNPTC to be the major source of your complaints, then you should consider yourself very fortunate. (This will not happen.)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

35-5s are such a drag, maaaaaaan gently caress the navy:argh:

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Lets talk about command urinalysis at NNPTC.

It struck me today that our country is in a multi-trillion dollar debt with >45% of our budget being military because we think it is okay to do things like this. I want to know how expensive a command urinalysis is.

I have had seven different urinalyses since reporting to NNPTC.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Urinalysis cost the government about 1$ per person when you include all of the logistics according to the guy that ran the program on my ship.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Well that's not bad at all. I wonder if they calculated wasted time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ChewedFood posted:

Well that's not bad at all. I wonder if they calculated wasted time.

You're a salaried and contracted employee of the military. Your time is pretty much worthless and this never wasted.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

Urinalysis cost the government about 1$ per person when you include all of the logistics according to the guy that ran the program on my ship.
They clearly didn't. Burdened labor rate for a sailor is a real number that I don't have the table handly for offhand, but it's higher than civilian labor.

Though they can freely ignore that because they can make you work unpaid overtime!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

They clearly didn't. Burdened labor rate for a sailor is a real number that I don't have the table handly for offhand, but it's higher than civilian labor.

Though they can freely ignore that because they can make you work unpaid overtime!

They can and they do. But really, what price value can you put on a command-wide sweep if it catches even one sailor who might otherwise one day operate a nuclear power plant HIGH ON BATH SALTS

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We had a couple guys get busted for coke when we were in South America. One of them was only a few months away from EAOS.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My best drug story is when a dude that worked under me popped for coke. He was a nerdy dude that looked like a typical nuke so everyone was surprised. I was standing outside of his masting. The captain asked him "So son, why did you do it knowing the Navy drug policy"

The guy was quiet for a minute, sighed, and said "Well sir, I was at a party and a stripper offered to let me do a line of cocaine off of her rear end. I figured that I'd never get the chance to do that ever again so I did it"

There was a long silence.

Finally, the captain said "Well... uh, at least you're honest."

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

He doesn't know strippers very well.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
The day the handed me my 214 in San Diego, I called up a buddy that lived out there, we hit up a head shop dispensary, and we got righteously baked while wandering the streets of Ocean Beach. It was the Best Night.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
I have had NR explained to me and I can see how fleet will be hard. The Rickover isn't like the most awful thing ever it is just not what you expect. I get a decent GPA and get about a hour of free time a night and go to bed on time it is just rough. I was definitely more miserable as a civilian.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
e: misread your post sorry :)

You really rarely deal with NR directly unless you're doing a special evolution or your boat is in trouble. IIRC an ORSE is only fellow nukes who are still in the navy and they aren't nearly as bad as civilian NR douchebags.

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 12, 2013

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I am saying that this poo poo ain't fun and I know its going to get worse. I am enjoying living in Charleston and yes sleeping in my own bed. I am not looking forward to fleet but as of right now I am still okay with my decision to grind up and snort the red pill.

I don't plan on reenlisting. Until I see fleet and get an underway done I am going to stay on the 6 and out plan.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I am saying that this poo poo ain't fun and I know its going to get worse. I am enjoying living in Charleston and yes sleeping in my own bed. I am not looking forward to fleet but as of right now I am still okay with my decision to grind up and snort the red pill.

I don't plan on reenlisting. Until I see fleet and get an underway done I am going to stay on the 6 and out plan.

ya its cool i just misread your post see the edit!!!! :)

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

genderstomper58 posted:

ya its cool i just misread your post see the edit!!!! :)

Oh ok! HAPPY NUKE BROS. Well Baby nuke...

My SLPO told me that NR would wait until I was standing my first watch jump out with a tie and clip board and then make me cry; and then I would have to post outside of a master chief's office

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The guy who gets burned by NR most tends to be the topside watch. Every now and then they'll give someone grief because the logs haven't been reviewed on time but in general if you haven't straight up abandoned your watchstation or get caught asleep you're fine. Mentioned it before, we had a dude get burned by NR for playing Solitaire while on watch during department training, but he was such a triple shitbag he more than had it coming. I can't remember how real this story was but we used to have a tale of an SRO who'd swapped out with the roving watch to go forward and take a dump (not uncommon) and came back to find NR chilling in Maneuvering with the rover calmly asking his questions. The dude never noticed that the names in the logs and on the uniforms didn't match. Besides, I think I've seen NR in person once (because we were always at sea ofc)

Note, this is in regular in-ports; any time where you have really unusual conditions set, are in dry dock or the yards you best fear NR like the reaper himself

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

While standing overpressure watch (cannot move eyes away from a huge gauge on the threat of mast) I had an NR guy stand with his face a foot away from mine staring at me for 45 minutes (I know that because of the person I was on comms with asking me the reading every x minutes on the dot) to see if I would ever look away.

I didnt. That guy was either loving with me or trying to gently caress me. Based on my experiences with NR, I tend towards the later. Catching an overpressure watch in dereliction of duty would be a great feather to put in his cap.

NR would commonly come in maneuvering while I was SRO and ask me a bunch of questions about plant parameters, evolutions in progress outside of maneuvering, and things that I would have seen on my pre-watch tour. There have been plenty of people I've known to get hosed for not having done a good pre-watch tour. Like, completely DQed hosed. Hell, once during a major overhaul they had me recite every alarm in maneuvering and why it was in. When half of the alarms are in because you're in cold shutdown with portions of the primary plant cut open, there's a lot of explanation.

I spent my whole career in either refuel/overhaul or prototype so I've always had NR very close to hand.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're in a condition that requires an overpressure watch, you'll have NR all over you like stink on a cook, because you can't afford to gently caress up, and boats constantly hosed it up. That one thing they tell you never ever to do? Yeah, we did that. We weren't the only boat in squadron to do it, either, and other boats did WAY more hosed up poo poo. Other times we had NR come down and shut down work because we were jacked, and it was a huge hassle but far less so than loving up was.

Ballston Spa Prototype is kind of odd as it is civilian run, they're sort of their own twisted internal Naval Reactors and can absolutely be as strict. I remember I had a civilian shift engineer, good guy, a fat redhead kinda biker dude but knew his science and his plant back and forwards. I think he was standing an EOOW O/I and the electrical operator botches a plant shift and drops a bus. He recovers it, stuff gets normalized and the watch continues, no big deal. A little bit later, one of the big bosses shows up, wants to know why why the guy is still sitting EO and not d/q'ed. The engineer explains that it was an honest mistake and he had confidence in him to have no further issues. The big boss guy thinks about it for a second, D/Q's the EO, D/Q's the eng, no poo poo shouts "Vive La France!" for no good reason and storms off. Because of their shift/overtime pay structure it cost that guy like $20K to get re-qualified.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

"The surveys are good, and the shitass is good."

Two men disqualified control point, an EDPO disqualified, and an EDO disqualified. RC and RL div chiefs grilled in chiefs quarters loud enough to be heard in aft crews berthing. Ah, navy:allears:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I found out that apparently my rant about a worthless chief on facebook from a year ago was enough for someone to defriend me over because he was afraid someone from the chief's mess would somehow see it on his feed.

It amused me.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We actually had NR himself come to our boat. Admiral Bowman was her CO back in the 80s, and he decided to swing by for a tour while we were in the yards. I was on roving watch when he came back aft, and we never even saw each other. :ninja:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

We actually had NR himself come to our boat. Admiral Bowman was her CO back in the 80s, and he decided to swing by for a tour while we were in the yards. I was on roving watch when he came back aft, and we never even saw each other. :ninja:

I used to srw ninja my way out of poo poo all the time. Fuckin loved it when a coner chief would come try to find a nuke, instantly everyone vanishes. I always imagined it like in Pirates of the Carribean, only instead of being coral and poo poo people just slowly backed up and phased into the pipes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I miss those types of hijinx.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

We finally started shift work today, mids are awesome. No annoying topsiders thinking they know better.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
Two more mastings this week at NNPTC, both involve missing muster and sleeping in the Rickover. Not a record by any means, but it's just such a stupid reason to lose a crow. Been here a month and can't get over the retardation on display daily at this school for supposedly smart people.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

What is the Rickover? A building?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

What is the Rickover? A building?

Yeah its the school building @ NNPTC

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

scripterror posted:

Two more mastings this week at NNPTC, both involve missing muster and sleeping in the Rickover. Not a record by any means, but it's just such a stupid reason to lose a crow. Been here a month and can't get over the retardation on display daily at this school for supposedly smart people.

if you think that the babby nukes at nnptc are retarded, just wait until you get to the fleet.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

grumplestiltzkin posted:

if you think that the babby nukes at nnptc are retarded, just wait until you get to the fleet.

They aren't too bad. We've only had like 5 mastings in the past 8 months. Although one was for falling asleep on watch. That was funny. He crawled up into some of the overhead down at Charging Station, and fell asleep. Watch Sup finally caught him after like 3 hours of looking for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Hobolicious posted:

They aren't too bad. We've only had like 5 mastings in the past 8 months. Although one was for falling asleep on watch. That was funny. He crawled up into some of the overhead down at Charging Station, and fell asleep. Watch Sup finally caught him after like 3 hours of looking for him.

I thought about that one, but it just did not seem worth it for a little attic shuteye.

One of the mastings last week was for a jackass who cheated on a test. The only reason he was caught was because he complained to the person whose test he cheated off of for getting the answer wrong.

He was also a douche bag and wrote a book of all the terrible things one our instructors did in A school on the instructor survey. Instructor actually got in some serious trouble if I recall. Just happy this jackass got his dick caught in the mouse trap this time. I thought that instructor was great and prepared me more for the fleet because now I know to check my flashlights because stranded watch standers will poo poo in them.

• Locked thread