Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Trustworthy posted:

I swear I've read posts in this thread talking about how horrible it is to use the default quicksave.

I've heard similar things. If I recall, it had something to do with quicksaves collecting their data differently than saves that were performed by escaping to the main menu and manually saving. This difference caused quicksaves to be more prone to errors which, in turn, caused CTDs and general instability.

That could be wrong, but it satisfies my curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anybody know of mods that add good energy weapons? I've been on a kick with the Tri-Beam Laser Rifle and some of the Armory's weapons and realized that some of the stuff in the Armory got changed to bullets (Gauss?) in the newest test patch.

p.s. ENERGY WEAPONSSSSS

Also, a little known fact: Werewolves don't know what plasma is:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there any problems with adding WMX during a playthrough? Should I just do the wait 4 days thing?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Is there any problems with adding WMX during a playthrough? Should I just do the wait 4 days thing?

You'll have to remove any already modded weapons in you're inventory, and you'll probably still have to wait a few days for weapon mods to start showing up in stores.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What governs whether you can hit explosives in mid-air? I used to be able to do it all the time, but on this playthrough it's literally always 0% chance in VATS. Maybe it's a mod I'm using. Any popular ones do that?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
WMX/Jsawyer are still not compatible, correct?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Roobanguy posted:

You'll have to remove any already modded weapons in you're inventory, and you'll probably still have to wait a few days for weapon mods to start showing up in stores.

Any mod with big changes you should always 'sleep' four days or wait four days in a row for the cells to refresh themselves. Rule of thumb etc.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Huh? I never heard this?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Fereydun posted:

Anybody know of mods that add good energy weapons? I've been on a kick with the Tri-Beam Laser Rifle and some of the Armory's weapons and realized that some of the stuff in the Armory got changed to bullets (Gauss?) in the newest test patch.

p.s. ENERGY WEAPONSSSSS

I must know what armour this is that you are using. It is very important to me.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Looks like its Spice of Life.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Gyshall posted:

If there are conflicts, they're behind-the-scenes enough that I haven't noticed. I'm thirty hours or so into my latest playthough using both (plus CCO and a bunch of other poo poo), and it's by far the most fun, bug-free, crash-free, obvious-conflict-free FONV experience I've ever had.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

JSawyer makes edits to the entries for some weapons - just like WMX, so no. You won't have crashes or anything though, you'll just loose the changes made by whichever one you load first.
Using FNVEdit, you can easily make a compatibility patch though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fereydun posted:

Werewolves? What the hell?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Obviously he is rolling with the Monster mod with the uncanon monsters on.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Monster Mod is pretty fuckin' weird sometimes! That was in the Dead Wind Caverns, where it was all regular ol' Deathclaws as usual until I turned a corner and then suddenly there's just two Werewolves chillin' in one of the cavern's rooms.

Or getting ambushed by a bunch of robots that kinda looked like IG-88 from Star Wars in Vault 11.

Or getting attacked by really buff Geckos with axes every now and then.

...So I guess it's pretty weird all the time but I guess I like that bit of variety!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of want a S.T.A.L.K.E.R like experience in Fallout, where levels mean nothing, and it's all about trying to survive with the huge scarcity of equipment and what not. What mods should I run to make items more important, and scarce?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I don't think you can have the scarce equipment experience in New Vegas

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of want a S.T.A.L.K.E.R like experience in Fallout, where levels mean nothing, and it's all about trying to survive with the huge scarcity of equipment and what not. What mods should I run to make items more important, and scarce?

Project Nevada has individual loot drop chance tweaks for the various kinds of item and foods, if I'm not mistaken.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rabhadh posted:

I don't think you can have the scarce equipment experience in New Vegas

It's a shame too, because whereas Fallout and Fallout 2 felt (for me at least) like ammo and guns were scarce and expensive things, Fallout 3 / New Vegas makes it feel like one of those editorial cartoons where everyone has a gun and is pointing it at each other, with full bandoliers full of grenades and poo poo.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Puce Moose Tweak and Balance Center has mods to reduce the availability of ammo, etc. Couple it with a mod that makes barter harder - to reduce caps - and you won't be swimming in ammo for a long, long time.

Cirosan's neat CCO changes Barter, for instance. Also throw in the jsawyer mod, because director's cut.

I had to craft .357 almost from the very beginning to be able to do decent damage and never had many caps free with the above. Makes the game far more engaging.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

v1ld posted:

Puce Moose Tweak and Balance Center has mods to reduce the availability of ammo, etc. Couple it with a mod that makes barter harder - to reduce caps - and you won't be swimming in ammo for a long, long time.

Cirosan's neat CCO changes Barter, for instance. Also throw in the jsawyer mod, because director's cut.

I had to craft .357 almost from the very beginning to be able to do decent damage and never had many caps free with the above. Makes the game far more engaging.

Ok, I'm thinking that with the increased spawn mods will make me think twice about wading into Primm and just wasting everything

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Project Nevada's extra options has a feature from Fallout 3's FWE FOOK mod where it removes items from the game world (that aren't unique or required).

Project Nevada posted:

Unfound Loot
Anybody who played FWE hardcore will remember the Unfound Loot option. Unfound loot uses a dynamic system to remove the world items in your game, making food and other supplies even more rare. This sytem is NOT for the feint of heart, items that are removed are gone for GOOD. You will NEVER get them back, even if you disable the feature.

The Unfound Loot system checks each time the player changes cells, and will remove items at that time. The chance for an item to be removed is based on the Player's Luck stat. There is a slight delay during this process, so you might sometimes see items pop out of existence. The delay is necessary, and cannot be removed. If you find this item popping to be immersion breaking, don't use UL.

Unfound Loot will NOT remove quest items, owned items, or special items. It will not remove unique weapons, or items added by mods. Unfound Loot will only run on specified cells, and will not disrupt your custom house. Unfound Loot will also not run in ANY mod added cells without a patch (this is for safety as well as a practicality issue).

There are a few options associated with Unfound Loot:
* Debug Mode - Left in for now, this will apply a shader effect to every item that the UL system would remove or leave alone. Any items not shaded will never be removed by the UL system. Green items will be left, blue items will be removed. A report is also given in the console as to how many of each item type is found, and would be removed.
* Luck Modifier - Controls how much the player's Luck stat affects item removal chance. A Luck Modifier of 0 will give a 0% chance of item removal at 10 Luck.
* Make Safe Cell - By disabling UL and then entering an area, you can use this option to add the area to the safe cell list. UL will not run on that cell, allowing you to make it a home or to set a home safe before using the UL system.
* Reset Cell - Removes a cell from the safe cell list, allowing UL to process it.
* Make Safe Item - Allows you to remove an item from the item removal list. Supply an example of the item, and it will no longer be processed by UL.
* Set Removed Items - Allows you to add more items to the UL removal list, as well as adding mod added items.

The Unfound Loot system will process a cell ONCE. Once a cell has been processed, it will never be processed again (unless you use Reset Cell in it). So any place you've been before with UL active will then be safe to visit at any time without the loss of more items.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 9, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I actually thought my game was bugging out when things were disappearing in front of my face like that, but I am running PN Extra Options so that explains it. Something I'm not so sure about though, is Johnnys body isn't there sometimes, and I always run Wild Wasteland. Anyone else experienced this?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Rabhadh posted:

I actually thought my game was bugging out when things were disappearing in front of my face like that, but I am running PN Extra Options so that explains it. Something I'm not so sure about though, is Johnnys body isn't there sometimes, and I always run Wild Wasteland. Anyone else experienced this?

Sometimes he falls down the cliff or even off the map.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome or Awful, I'll let you decide.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48323

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Turtlicious posted:

Well, there's also the Fallout Heroes mod.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Turtlicious posted:

I don't understand how someone is smart enough to implement Magic of all things in New Vegas and then types liek a 13 year old on irc..... lol :)))))

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WHOIS John Galt posted:

It's a shame too, because whereas Fallout and Fallout 2 felt (for me at least) like ammo and guns were scarce and expensive things, Fallout 3 / New Vegas makes it feel like one of those editorial cartoons where everyone has a gun and is pointing it at each other, with full bandoliers full of grenades and poo poo.

Fallout 3, presuming you don't do Mothership Zeta (which is easily the worst DLC of either game), is much more stingy with guns and ammo than New Vegas, and guns are in general less powerful in Fallout 3.

I have been playing a lot of Fallout 3 lately and it is a game where it is a lot more fun to just explore the world. The Capital Wasteland just has a lot more character to it--despair, decay, and danger.

If you even pay attention to the terrible main questline at all in FO3 you are doing it wrong. Wander towards the most interesting thing on your horizon. Scrounge for junk that a trader would want at the bottom of an irradiated hole so you can buy the bullets, food, and stims you need to keep going. Sneak around the dilapidated ruins of mankind that, unlike NV, look like they were lived in. Wander through FO3's expansive and atmospheric underground sections. The locations and the set dressing are in general a lot more complex, as well as grimier and grittier, than in NV. Even the terrain is more interesting, and the game makes something as mundane as crossing a river an important event.

New Vegas is the better game on a technical and storytelling level, but a wide expanse of undeveloped desert is just not that interesting of a world. The untamed post-nuclear wilderness of FO3 is just. . . Not really there in NV, replaced by endless NPC faction troops that all look babyfaced because the Gamebryo graphics just could not make an interesting face. There's a lot more raiders in NV, but their voice acting is pretty weak (which is the only time the voice acting in FO3 is better) and their abodes are just not as scary as in FO3. The grocery mart alone in FO3 is more atmospheric and foreboding than any bandit lair in New Vegas. 95% of the NV deathclaws/supermutants live in "high level" zones, while moving about FO3 is pretty dangerous if you're not prepared. Pretty much the only thing you have to be scared of in New Vegas are cazadors.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Agree, FO3 (modded) is terrifically underrated. FNV has its strong points, but it doesn't feature the gritty post-apocalypse sewer-scavenging ruins-crawling urban survival experience of a solid FO3 setup. What I hate/admire most about FNV is the sleight of hand it pulls. If you get wrapped up enough in the story, you never really notice that Vegas is actually sterile, boring and not even remotely debauched. All the meat in the game is with your followers, the factions and the areas outside the city. Both are great but given a desert island choice I'd have a tough time.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The one thing I really miss from FO3 in NV is the placed loot. Not big stuff, the little things. I have fond memories of rummaging around storage closets in dilapidated buildings and finding rad poo poo like mini-nukes and stealth boys sneakily tucked away at the bottom of a box under useless junk. And to get to it actually required a little bit of work, grabbing stuff and flinging it off shelves, flipping containers over and dumping it all on the floor... It really felt like you were finding something you weren't supposed to. That practically never happens in NV. The DLC had a few instances of it, but it's still exceedingly rare to find anything super useful on its own hidden away like that.

e: VVVVV I used those exact same mods all at once for a while, and yeah, they don't play very well together. It wasn't completely unplayable, but crashes were fairly common, usually about one every hour or so. I was also running a poo poo load of mods besides, so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

Horns fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 9, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
One of these days I'm going to put the effort into modding FO3 into the "Ultimate GOTY" edition. Last I checked Apocalypse Armory/Weapon Mod Kits/RH_Ironsights/FWE/Monster Mod aren't all compatible with each other though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Orange Crush Rush: English might not be their native langauge and have only learnt to informally communicate it with IRC/Instant messaging or whatever.

Also, food for thought. Is there an over the top Johnny Five Aces companion mod yet? If so, why not?

And I do agree Fallout 3 with the mods that click with personal tastes owns just as much bones as FNV.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a mod but I don't remember the name, (making a new mod list for a new play through.) What I want is a mod that punishes me for dying, instead of just making me load a save. I know it exists on the Nexus, but I don't know the mod's name, and googling isn't helping me much. Does anyone know the mod I speak of?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I used to have a mod for Oblivion that did that - Oblivion Ironman or something. It was sweet but not so much when your save got corrupted and couldn't be loaded :smith:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The only thing that really prevents me from mix/matching a lot of mods is that I find a lot of mods, even (supposedly) lore-friendly ones stray a little too far from the art design and overall design of the game itself. It's one of the reasons why I haven't touched any of the mods that add new weapons, because even if they look decent or have decent modeling a lot of the time you can tell just by looking at the weapons that they're modded into the game. It's another reason why I didn't enjoy the few parts I played of Beyond Boulder Dome, because as Lore-Friendly and well constructed as it is, I just didn't think it looked like Fallout. Sometimes even textures from the same packs won't even have cohesive art design. Just because a certain texture is higher-res doesn't always mean it's better for the look of the game in general.

A lot of mod artists put a lot of time into re-detailing scenery and textures, which is admirable, but takes me out of the experience because invariably there will be times where there will be a new texture next to a vanilla texture and it doesn't even look like it's from the same game. I remember once installing a redone texture pack for Morrowind and being shocked when the game loaded because it was hardly even the same game/atmosphere.

I feel like I'm being picky about it, but the only texture replacement mod I've used and liked so far is the extensive weapon renewal one. I haven't tried NMC's but it looks pretty good.

I'm going to look for some mods/textures that replicate the feel of Fallout 1 and 2 to play with during my next play through. I'm interested in CCO and Jsawyer, though I've heard mixed things about using them together. When I tried to, I ended up crippling a limb on hardcore and the walk from the Goodsprings Saloon to Doc Mitchell's took me a good 10 minutes. I'll have to tweak them a little bit to get the best experience I think, but I'm excited for it nonetheless.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

laplace posted:

The only thing that really prevents me from mix/matching a lot of mods is that I find a lot of mods, even (supposedly) lore-friendly ones stray a little too far from the art design of the game itself. It's one of the reasons why I haven't touched any of the mods that add new weapons, because even if they look decent or have decent modeling a lot of the time you can tell just by looking at the weapons that they're modded into the game. It's another reason why I didn't enjoy the few parts I played of Beyond Boulder Dome, because as Lore-Friendly and well constructed as it is, I just didn't think it looked like Fallout. Sometimes even textures from the same packs won't even have cohesive art design. Just because a certain texture is higher-res doesn't always mean it's better for the look of the game in general.

A lot of mod artists put a lot of time into re-detailing scenery and textures, which is admirable, but takes me out of the experience because invariably there will be times where there will be a new texture next to a vanilla texture and it doesn't even look like it's from the same game. I remember once installing a redone texture pack for Morrowind and being shocked when the game loaded because it was hardly even the same game/atmosphere.

The Armory has a couple of gun models that are just way too "clean"--brand new Heckler & Koch guns with laser sights that look like they were pressed together that day. Otherwise I think that mod in particular adds a lot, especially considering if there is a gun I don't like, I can just throw it by the wayside and likely never see it again.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any way to play JSawyer without the DLC? I fancy replaying FO:NV 'As the Developer intended' but I've not bought any of the DLC, and don't really fancy sinking £20 more on Steam for the privilege. I saw a forum post that someone managed it with TESnip, but I'd have no idea where to start.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shockeh posted:

Is there any way to play JSawyer without the DLC? I fancy replaying FO:NV 'As the Developer intended' but I've not bought any of the DLC, and don't really fancy sinking £20 more on Steam for the privilege. I saw a forum post that someone managed it with TESnip, but I'd have no idea where to start.

The DLC is loving incredible and you're doing yourself a disservice not grabbing it. Seriously, Dead Money is some of the most intense, magical, beautiful and well-written craziness I've played in a while. New World Blues is crazy and experimental and kicks rear end.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WHOIS John Galt posted:

The DLC is loving incredible and you're doing yourself a disservice not grabbing it. Seriously, Dead Money is some of the most intense, magical, beautiful and well-written craziness I've played in a while. New World Blues is crazy and experimental and kicks rear end.

Keep in mind you also need GRA and Courier's Stash to run it thoigh. GRA is pretty good though, especially with JSawyer because it removes the need for a GRA version of a weapon to mod it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Go to your Data folder grab any random plugin you have in there and copy it nine times. Rename them each to:
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm

Then dump JSawyer mod in the data folder, start up your load order manager tool of choice and set your loadorder to load FalloutNV.esm first, then your nine dummy plugins and lastly JSawyer mod.
Now go over to the nexus and grab FNVEdit, install and run it. With your dummy plugins, FNVEdit can actually load up JSawyer mod. Without it, it would complain there were missing masters.

In FNVEdit, go to the JSawyer mod plugin's fileheader and remove the master file dependences to the DLCs.
Next up, you'll want to clean the JSawyer plugin. Simplest way to determine what to delete is to just look at the first two numbers of the Form ID's (the 8 digit alphanumerical codes). For example, if your Dead Money dummy is number 01 in your loadorder, anything that tries to reference Dead Money will have a Form ID that starts with 01. So it it'll be safe to remove.

Have fun. It's a bit tedious work, but not hard. That said: You should just fork over the money for the 4 story DLCs. They're good. Or just wait for the next big steam sale when they'll practically be giving them away. The 5 itempack DLCs are kinda meh and skippable.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 9, 2013