Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

B

vs. Lefties no DH
LF Kelley
2B Stephenson
SS Banks
1B Hodges
C Campanella
CF Speaker
3B Robinson
RF Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Call up Drysdale and return McDowell, the Elder, to the minors.

New vs RHP lineup for the week to give Cronin and Youkilis some more rest
2B Alomar
LF Speaker
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
RF Oliva
C Martinez
3B Ventura
SS Tejada
P Pitcher

Also, shoot the AI schedule maker for throwing this awful 6 week stretch with no off days into the middle of my season.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Excellent. 3-3 week against a pair of excellent teams and I hit the Unspecifieds at a pretty ideal time. Bonds willing, I'll manage a 4-3 and finish with a .500 record in a tough month.

Some questions before I finalize my stuff:
1) When a player returns from injury, does he need extra time off to get back to full effectiveness or prevent future injuries? Or is he at full strength as soon as the little number is gone? I ask because Bender appears to have actually sustained a second injury during his return appearance, and I don't want to murder him (or make his rating even worse).
2) It is possible to do a 6-man rotation, correct?
3) Reiterating my request for defensive info on Ordonez/Herman. Also Ordonez's OVR, since he's not on my roster in the sim.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mornacale posted:

Excellent. 3-3 week against a pair of excellent teams and I hit the Unspecifieds at a pretty ideal time. Bonds willing, I'll manage a 4-3 and finish with a .500 record in a tough month.

1) When a player returns from injury, does he need extra time off to get back to full effectiveness or prevent future injuries? Or is he at full strength as soon as the little number is gone? I ask because Bender appears to have actually sustained a second injury during his return appearance, and I don't want to murder him (or make his rating even worse).
3) Reiterating my request for defensive info on Ordonez/Herman. Also Ordonez's OVR, since he's not on my roster in the sim.

No - except for long term injuries that are out of scope for the SL because you never have to deal with the consequences of a shoulder seperation or something on a pitcher's performance because he's out for the season and you get a reboot.

No - just like not being able to bat the pitcher 8th, BM2013 isn't as realistic as it might like

Cannot help you.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

1. No, your Bender is just cursed. Or maybe I hate him.

2. No. Also, that would be stupid, just like it would be in real life.

3. OVR: 94, LF: 69, RF: 76.
Herman, LF: 78, RF: 78

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

2. No. Also, that would be stupid, just like it would be in real life.

Well, I don't want to do a 6-man rotation, I really just want Pappas to make a spot start (because the Portland lineup does not look kind to LHP), but since I don't imagine you're willing to change my rotation mid-week I was going to just use a 6-man to accomplish the same thing.

God drat you, BBM.

But thanks for the info, Smasher (e: and Cthulhu).

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for A.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Hold steady.

Also, reincarnate in the future as the future owns.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hey guys, the Whalers need pitchers. You can find my roster here. I'm willing to listen to offers for pretty much anyone at this point, so if you are interested in getting a deal done, let me know. However, let it be known that I am activly trying to move 1972 Sparky Lyle and 1985Ozzie Smith. Lyle is a closer quality lefty, and Ozzie Smith is Ozzie Smith.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Platoon Sewell and Yount the Younger at SS

mks5000 posted:

Hey guys, the Whalers need pitchers. You can find my roster here. I'm willing to listen to offers for pretty much anyone at this point, so if you are interested in getting a deal done, let me know. However, let it be known that I am activly trying to move 1972 Sparky Lyle and 1985Ozzie Smith. Lyle is a closer quality lefty, and Ozzie Smith is Ozzie Smith.

I want Sparky Lyle, what can we do? Let me consider this.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spokane Air Raids are on the clock.
Draft Spreadsheet

e: :siren: Trade Proposal :siren:

Tornados receive: '72 Sparky Lyle
Whalers receive: Cancun's two 2nd round picks

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 8, 2013

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e: :siren: Trade Proposal :siren:

Tornados receive: '72 Sparky Lyle
Whalers receive: Cancun's two 2nd round picks

Accepted! Ron Reed gets bumped up to take Lyle's spot in Middle Relief.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The Tornados-Whalers deckchair shuffle is approved.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The Tornados-Whalers deckchair shuffle is approved.
They can't all be Ernie Banks deals.

To AAA: Davis, Labine
To MLB: Lyle, Montgomery

CL: Gordon
SU: Lyle
SR: Montgomery
SR: Hiller

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

All-Star Results!

Dynamo League Starters
C: Carlton Fisk (WEB)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (CUN)
2B: Joe Morgan (DUB)
3B: Wade Boggs (SJE)
SS: Ernie Banks (CAN)
LF: Tris Speaker (ROC)
CF: Jim Edmonds (BUR)
RF: Mel Ott (ALB)
DH: Ted Willaims (NYF)
Manager: The Merry Marauder (NYF)

The Merry Marauder

You now have the privilege and duty of picking the pitching staff and bench players for the 25-man roster of the DL All-Star team, as well as the batting order of the starters. You must also choose as one of your pitchers or reserves one member each from the:

Cleveland Unicorns
Coburns
Florida Oranges
Florida Dickshots
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Portland Bulldogs
Rochester Generics

Smasher League Starters
C: Josh Gibson (LUN)
1B: Lou Gehrig (FIN)
2B: Joe Morgan (OXB)
3B: Paul Molitor (PHF)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (NOM)
LF: Ted Williams (NEA)
CF: Mickey Mantle (NEA)
RF: Babe Ruth (SLA)
DH: Sadaharu Oh (LOM)
Manager: CthulhuDreams (RYL)

CthulhuDreams

You now have the privilege and duty of picking the pitching staff and bench players for the 25-man roster of the SL All-Star team, as well as the batting order of the starters. You must also choose as one of your pitchers or reserves one member each from the:

Barons
Cleveland Commies
Cuba Smokers
Hartford Whalers
Ryleh Cultists
Saturn Biosparks
Seattle Suicides
Spokane Air Raids

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The format is still a 7-game series that takes place in a world out of time?

Just to be sure that if, say, Deacon Phillippe of the annoyingly persistent Cleveland Unicorns were to take it upon himself to throw 180 pitches in a start, out of a burning sense of competitive pride sadly lacking in today's late-stage capitalist world, his melted arm would not be reflected in standard play?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Merry Marauder posted:

Just to be sure that if, say, Deacon Phillippe of the annoyingly persistent Cleveland Unicorns were to take it upon himself to throw 180 pitches in a start, out of a burning sense of competitive pride sadly lacking in today's late-stage capitalist world, his melted arm would not be reflected in standard play?

That's right. Nice try, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That's right. Nice try, though.

I cannot start clones of the same player either? So no all Johnson rotation?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Hey I'm here, currently reviewing my options, be done in 10 mins

e: Spokane Air Raids select C Thurmon Munson, who is immediately moved into the starting catcher slot, moving Montero to the bench

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Hell yeah, got a starter on the All Star Team! That will vastly increase his value when he's available in the expansion draft! :toot:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
How and why did Lou Whitaker not get in this team? The man's in the middle of a 2nd excellent season, and he deserves recognition damnit!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
That Smasher League lineup is completely destroying the Dynamo League, name-value-wise.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mornacale posted:

That Smasher League lineup is completely destroying the Dynamo League, name-value-wise.
Ted Willaims is hurting the DL's name value.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Holy poo poo, how the gently caress did Eddie Matthews lose 9 points of OVR in one week?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Ted Willaims is hurting the DL's name value.

I think this season is going to end with me just killing every team in the Memento Mori Division out of spite.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

A spreadsheet update is upon us, wherein:
- Milt Pappas gets a second chance he probably doesn't deserve, taking Lolich's spot for the week to play platoon matchups. Note that this means Freehan needs to switch to become Pappas's personal catcher.
- Magglio comes up for Dykstra and goes into the lineup.
- We pray to Base Baal that Ordonez (or breakouts by Gehrig and Puckett) can make up for McCutchen, Fisk, Matthews, and Cano all regressing badly (with significant ratings loss in two of those cases besides!) until Lord Barrold returns to lead us to glory.
- gently caress. I hope everyone else's ratings are tanking as badly as mine.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 8, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Holy poo poo, how the gently caress did Eddie Matthews lose 9 points of OVR in one week?

Is he old? To see this in action watch my mel ott

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

I may be underperforming, but I'm still champions! I can but strive to take the titles into the Gauntlet with me.

Anyway, I am at a bit of a loss, and will draft 1955 Forrest Harrill "Smoky" Burgess and start him over DFA'd Fisk immediately.

A

CraigK/Mashers on the clock.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Tiant replaces Garcia as long man, Stieb slides into the fifth rotation slot.

Give Ott the week off with the newly drafted Klein - send down Stargell to make room. Platoon Bernie Williams/Eric Davis to give Bernardo some extra rest.

Also A, I suppose. We might be in Morlocks territory if we go further forward.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Try swapping Hershiser and Vance; Dazzy deserves a shot. Rest Barrold, swap Teddy over to left, and let's see how our new Cobb handles RF, formerly patrolled by his 19-years-younger self 5 SL seasons ago.

I'll do the DL AS Roster tonight.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'd complain, but I had pretty much the same thought as soon as I saw my name on the nomination list. :v:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 13 Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Al Worthington (RP) (Vacation to the Hamptons) - 33 days

Also, this:

Dubai Dervishes
John D'Acquisto (RP) (Learned a valuable lesson about fireworks safety) - 81 days

Florida Dickshots
Roy Oswalt (SP) (How many more must die so that the Dickshots might retain their title?) - 27 days

San Juan Elephants
Hank Aaron (OF) (The Price of Greatness) - 11 days

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Is he old? To see this in action watch my mel ott

Yeah, he's like a million years old, but I figured it would be gradual and not "develops dementia and completely forgets how to play based ball over the span of a week".

e: (Actually, I figured that I was getting insanely lucky this season, but apparently I was only getting insanely lucky for a couple months.)

e2: vvv Yeah, I have him from the season where he got like 50 PA and retired, I only rostered him as a shot in the dark. It was just a very sudden decline.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 8, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, he's like a million years old, but I figured it would be gradual and not "develops dementia and completely forgets how to play based ball over the span of a week".

He might have a minor injury that resolved itself within a week. Even a minor injury can knock a bunch of points off the ratings of older players. That would be my guess.

Besides, Mathews didn't really age super-well anyway.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Who had Lefty O'doul last? I have a feeling that Mogul is going to hate the '29 version of him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

CraigK posted:

Who had Lefty O'doul last? I have a feeling that Mogul is going to hate the '29 version of him.

Mogul hates Lefty O'Doul. I can personally confirm that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Florida Dickshots
Roy Oswalt (SP) (How many more must die so that the Dickshots might retain their title?) - 27 days

Ohhhhh boy

Put Rogers back in the rotation, and call up Palmer and put him in long relief. :smithicide:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Forgot to vote. A

I fully expect a completely circuitous obituary, wherein we start all over with the original Mark Grace looking for rocket cycle fuel.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Mashers select Eric Davis and hope he gets a good roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Smasher League 12: Nothing Was Learned

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

AIR RAIDS SOMEHOW CAPTURE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

Moonbase 0-2- In a stunning turn of events that have rocked the Smasher League, the Spokane Air Raids are the new World Heavyweight Champions of the World.

The Heavyweight Championship, the most prestigious secondary title in the Smasher League, had been held by the Landers since the beginning of the season, when they were awarded it after its previous holder, the Chicago Bobbleheads, were sent to that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns by the Macho Men. With one of the best rosters in the league, no one was expecting the Air Raids to sweep this series on the moon.

And yet, sweep they did, as Vida Blue had a slightly less disastrous day than the Landers' Don Sutton, and the Air Raids were able to hold on to get an 8-7 win and the Heavyweight Title. Albert Pujols led the Air Raids' offense with a double and two home runs as the Landers found themselves outgunned.

mrnoun, owner of the Landers, was quite angry after the game, "The Air Raids? The loving Air Raids? They're still in the league? How the gently caress did we lose three straight games to the Air Raids? How the hell did this happen? This is the worst thing that has ever happened on the moon! I mean, some pretty bad poo poo has happened on the moon before, like the destruction of the Enlightened Kingdom of Third Atlantis, and the sinking of the moon ocean, but this is definitely worse than either of those. The end of Third Atlantis only set back human civilization by 30,000 years, who knows what consequences the Air Raids getting the Heavyweight Championship will have?"

That was a fair question, and one that Manifunk Destiny, owner of the Air Raids, did little to address in his post-game comments, "I bet a bunch of you are wondering where I've been these last few weeks. Well, I went on a spirit quest to Cincinnati. I was following the wise and ancient coyote who, as you know, has seen its range expand thanks to the human settlement of North America. So I tracked the great spirit of the coyote to the Queen City, where he taught magical secrets about the universe. Now, I can't remember what they are, or much of the details of my trip to Cincinnati, all I know is that I'm never allowed to go back there again. I think that's because either I know their great secret, or maybe something happened with Joey Votto. I can't really remember, I was very, very high at the time. But now I'm a champion, so that means that the great coyote spirit was right about me and my team. Thanks Coyote. Thoyote."

Game Notes

-The City of Cincinnati declined comment on Manifunk Destiny's time in their city, merely noting that, "It will never happen again."

-Likewise, the great Coyote Spirit declined comment, explaining that, "Mistakes were made. Terrible, irremediable mistakes." He then returned to his summer abode in the heavens above.

Box Score

Don May posted:

COMICALLY INEPT WHALERS PULL OFF 6-5 WIN

Hartford- Usually, when you get two baserunners thrown out at home plate in the bottom of the ninth inning, your team doesn't get to win the game.

But today, the third time was the charm as, after the first two outs of the inning were made on easy tagouts at home plate, Reggie Jackson hit a bases loaded single to finally score the game-winning run over the New England Arguments. It was a win, if perhaps not the sort of win that will be fondly remembered by mks5000, owner of the Whalers, in the future.

"Okay, I admit, our baserunning wasn't great in that final inning." mks5000 told reporters after the game, "I mean, the first time I got one of our players nailed at home plate, that was bad. And the second time was even worse. Man, that was pretty humiliating. But we won, and that's all that matters."

"Personally," mks5000 continued, "I'm more concerned about the attendance at today's game. Less than 14,000 fans? That's pretty terrible. But I think I've got an exciting way to reverse that. I think that the problem is that the people of Hartford are having some trouble connecting with this team. But I've got a good idea about that, and I call it "Hartford Whaling Night". I've spent some money purchasing a whale from a local aquarium that's a bit...down on its luck, and, well, since Hartford isn't actually on the ocean, we've been waterproofing the stadium, and we're going to put the whale in their, and then bring in an authentic 19th-century whaling ship to hunt it down. Now, we've gotten some complaints from PETA and Greenpeace and similar organizations, but I assure you that our harpooners are full trained and will not be shooting to kill. It should be family fun for the entire family!"

Alleged human Robert_Deadford, who owns the New England Arguments, a team that is neither located in New England nor the subject or origin of many arguments, applauded the Whalers' spirit. If an alien armada ever comes into orbit around the Earth, and sends down on their member to observe humanity and determine which should be inducted into their might space army, and which should be culled as unnecessary, then I guarantee you that the men of the Whalers would almost certainly avoid the first wave of cullings, which would be scheduled for six weeks from today. That is very good news for them...in that hypothetical circumstance."

Game Notes

-Hartford sucks.

-No, seriously, Hartford is a terrible city.

-Actually, it's not even a city, it's like the shambling corpse of a city that died a century ago.

-So, what I'm saying is that Hartford is a zombie city that must destroyed before it infects other cities and creates a zombie city epidemic.

Box Score

Television On the TV

: I am completely out of ideas.
: Hoping that the new class of Expansion owners to spark some interest?
: I have the feeling the next expansion class is going to be three members large, so, not really. Either way, we've got the Mathematicians facing the Cultists for the Television Title and...Phil Coke will blow it again, and that Maths take Game!

: Cultists win, and their TV Title hopes stay alive.
: Steve Carlton keeps his fantastic season going.

: Hornsby gets another home run as the Cultists win again, and they can pick up the TV Title with a win in the next game.
: Of course, the trade-off is that Hornsby isn't much of a defender, but that's probably something a team can just suck up to get Hornsby's bat in the lineup.

: Cultists blow it, and the Mathematicians retain the Hardcore Title for the fourth straight time, a new record.
: Matty is only 20 years old, and being that young tends to leave you rather erratic. That's not much comfort to CthulhuDreams, though.

: Okay, and the Maths will now try and make their fifth defense of the TV Title against the Philadelphia Failures.
: Philadelphia, of course, is the fictional setting of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Fun fact, Philadelphia is actually based on the series' creators memories of growing up in suburban Columbus, Ohio.
: And the Failures lose Game 1, because, after all, they are failures.

: Failures win Game 2...but there's no way they come away with the TV Title, is there?
: They're the Failures...can they overcome their nature?

: And the Failures win! And they are the new Television Champions!
: Truly, a great day for the fictional city of Philadelphia!

: And that will do it! Next week the Failures take on the Biosparks and then we'll see either a rematch between the Failures and Maths or Biosparks-Gumshoes!

Team Statistics

Analysis

Maybe Mike Torrez should stop pitching for you.

Analysis

Ralph Kiner may not be the man to send you to greater glory.

Analysis

The Ned Garver Catastrophe would be a good name for a mildly successful indie band. It's not as good for a description of a Super-League team's pitching, however.

Analysis

Some day, some expansion owner is going to build a DH team that is capable of killing the Phoenixes. I'm hoping that day is today.

Analysis

Thurman Munson hates your guts.

Analysis

When a guy with a 6.47 ERA has a winning record, you know things are going well.

Analysis

But seriously, how the gently caress did you get swept by the Air Raids?

Analysis

The New England Arguments: The Pernicious Myth of John Valentin, Starting Second Baseman (working title)

Analysis

This team is loving doomed. Five losses in four weeks? That's pathetic, simply pathetic. Might as well just give up now.

Analysis

Even the Maths can't keep the magic going forever, especially not if Chuck Klein stops hitting.

Analysis

How could this have happened?

Analysis

One bad trade and a lot of bad luck. Then again, poo poo like that happens in the Super-League all the time.

Analysis

Losing nine in a row is tough, even if seven of those losses are to division leaders.

Analysis

I think I might have traced your problems to the fact that not a single member of your infield has an OBP over .300.

Analysis

The W's are just waiting for the post-season.

Analysis

Amazing.

Standings and Leaders

: Who gently caress the cares what you guys voted for? You already loving killed me twice! What the gently caress is wrong you unbelievable rear end in a top hat? I'm taking a week off to get from you bastards. Grace out!