Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr.48 posted:

How is that cheap? I'll probably wait for the price to drop to $15 or so before buying.

Most 3d bluerays get released at minimum 30bux, most 35 or 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I won't buy the 3d BluRay since I don't have a 3D TV but I'm definitely buying the regular one. Any way to put tangible, positive numbers to hopefully drive a sequel forward.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Android Bicyclist posted:

I won't buy the 3d BluRay since I don't have a 3D TV but I'm definitely buying the regular one. Any way to put tangible, positive numbers to hopefully drive a sequel forward.

It looks like they are only releasing it as a dvd or a b3d/brd/dvd/digital copy combo, which is what 22bux gets you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

$27 up here in Canada but that is nothing for one movie. Cannot wait to own this and hopefully join with others in maybe getting this a sequel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'll buy it for 30 bucks if I have to. I'm just glad the goddamn thing is finally being released. Can't wait to re-watch it and see all the behind the scenes special features.

BreakAtmo posted:

High-Def Digest has their DREDD Blu-ray review up.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8071/dredd_3d.html

Movie: 5/5
PQ: 4/5
AQ: 5/5
Special Features: 1.5/5 :smith:
Blu-ray-exclusive features: None
Bottom Line: Highly Recommended

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'll buy it for 30 bucks if I have to. I'm just glad the goddamn thing is finally being released. Can't wait to re-watch it and see all the behind the scenes special features.

All the behind the scenes special feature. The disc is pretty bare bones.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

For what it's worth, Amazon has it listed at $19.99 for the Blu-Ray (and $14.99 for DVD): http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray...ds=Dredd+bluray

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vintersorg posted:

$27 up here in Canada but that is nothing for one movie. Cannot wait to own this and hopefully join with others in maybe getting this a sequel.

Where is this? My downtown Toronto store has it listed at $22.99

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, I thought I saw I saw it at Best Buy & Future Shop but they now have it as $24.99.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

All the behind the scenes special feature. The disc is pretty bare bones.

Aw damnit :smith: Maybe a special edition will get released in the future?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I wanna know who's loving brilliant idea it was to have the combo packs be the following:

DVD+Digital Copy

3D Blu-Ray+Blu-Ray+Digital Copy

Why not make it like every other combo-pack in existence, Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital copy?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MA-Horus posted:

I wanna know who's loving brilliant idea it was to have the combo packs be the following:

DVD+Digital Copy

Why not make it like every other combo-pack in existence, Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital copy?

Because it's been long enough that people who are going to buy Bluray players already have them. Now the next big hurdle is getting people to adopt 3D TVs, which is why they're shifting that direction.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

DVD+Digital Copy

Well, it is 'Dredd 3D'. And hey, even the 3D Blu-ray seems to be prices similarly to non-3D release titles. I already got it despite not owning a 3DTV and I'm happy with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MA-Horus posted:

DVD+Digital Copy

Disney 3D BD packs are also 2D/3D Blus plus a digital copy.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Jedit posted:

Disney 3D BD packs are also 2D/3D Blus plus a digital copy.

Plus a DVD! It's a little ridiculous how much they cram into one case.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arent most HD tvs sold with 3D included for the hell of it?

Also: "C'est de la Bombe" :canada:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 8, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Arent most HD tvs sold with 3D included for the hell of it?

Nowadays they are, but someone who doesn't want it can still save money with a cheaper 2D-only model, so actual 3D TV home penetration might not be that great (I've heard consumer response to 3D has been a resounding "meh", and a lot of the 3D penetration would just be down to all really high-end models one would get for the best PQ having 3D anyway). I'm sure in a few years virtually every display sold will have 3D just because, but we're not there yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BreakAtmo posted:

Nowadays they are, but someone who doesn't want it can still save money with a cheaper 2D-only model, so actual 3D TV home penetration might not be that great (I've heard consumer response to 3D has been a resounding "meh", and a lot of the 3D penetration would just be down to all really high-end models one would get for the best PQ having 3D anyway). I'm sure in a few years virtually every display sold will have 3D just because, but we're not there yet.

It's drat close. I bought a new TV last year that had everything we wanted at the price we wanted, and it just happened to also have 3D, and a lot of people I'd been talking to were in the same boat. "We'll never use it", we said, but now that we have the option, we do try to take advantage of it. As more people are buying new TVs and 3d becomes more and more "standard", that shift is already happening. Without having done any exhaustive research, it seems like if you're in the market for a relatively decent HDTV with the usual bells and whistles, that TV's going to have 3D on it.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

marktheando posted:

It's not a reference to something. I forget the exact line but it was something like "I sense anger, and control, and something else..." The Chief Judge cuts Anderson off because we don't need to know any more about Dredd.

Or maybe he was thinking about his robot butler, or how his boots are too small.

It's done to add a sense of mystery and layer to the character.

There was a commentary for the movie 'Serenity' where Joss Whedon explains that it's a common scriptwriting technique to get people to pay attention to a character. It was used in the movie for Captain Reynolds (where River reads his mind and says virtually the exact same thing as in Dredd), and Whedon admits it was just a plot device to get people who hadn't watched Firefly to pay attention to the captain.

In a film where there isn't a psychic mind-reader, it would have been some side character saying some line like "watch him, he's more dangerous than he seems" or the like.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 8, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vintersorg posted:

Also: "C'est de la Bombe" :canada:

:laffo:

I picked up the Blu-Ray at lunch. The work day cannot end fast enough :negative:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Probably the first DVD in a long time I bought on the day it come out. This movie was a joy to watch in theater, and it still is on my dinky little laptop. Its weird to call some of the shots "beautiful" considering how horrifically violent the movie is...but its the first word that pops up in my head from the opening shot of Mega-City One to the slow mo scenes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's quite astounding to learn that Gavin from Rooster Teeth shot those. Kind of like when I learned that Samuel Beckett (yes, the playwright) and Andre the Giant were mates.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We sold a decent number of them today. Its crazy how vibrant and gorgeous the whole movie looks.

Speaking of gorgeous, Olivia Thirlby :swoon:

And I figure that the "something else..." is just that Dredd actually cares under all that armor he carries around inside his head.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And I figure that the "something else..." is just that Dredd actually cares under all that armor he carries around inside his head.

I did a bit of a read-up on the character and it appears he does do some nice things when he feels the situation calls for it, like making sure Fergee would be remembered and honoured by MegaCity-One forever by erecting giant statues of him after he played a huge part and sacrificed his own life in overthrowing Judge Cal, for example. I interpreted it as Anderson sensing that part of Dredd before being cut off.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

My copy was the last one on the shelf, while some of the other bigger name movies like The Dark Knight Rises had several more.

Of course they could just be selling 1 or 2 copies...but I'm going to stay optimistic dammit!

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of gorgeous, Olivia Thirlby :swoon:

I'm usually not into blondes but yeah :swoon: x 100.

"Something else..." being the humane part of Dredd makes a lot of sense considering how he acts towards the end of the movie.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Count Chocula posted:

I think if anyone wanted to seriously analyze Dredd, the skate ramp would play a part. It's such a beautiful space, outside the politics of Judge vs Drug Lord, and when Dredd ended up there I was afraid he'd arrest or attack the skaters. Instead he uses it as a refuge.

First read, every scene with "snow flakes," is someone experiencing true freedom.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CronnySockett posted:

I'm usually not into blondes but yeah :swoon: x 100.

The blonde hair was just for Dredd. Case in point:

:allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy loving god, this sound mix :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff and it's really awesome how much of the movie was practical effects. Dredd's gun was real and designed around a basic 9mm, Dredd's motorbike was real and designed around a 500cc, Mega City One is just real-world shots of Johannesburg with some digital painting over them, people getting shot during the Slow-Mo scenes were blown with giant blasts of compressed air to give them that look like they'd just gotten hit by something high-impact, etc.

I know some review(s) said this Blu-Ray was barebones but I don't feel like that at all. The special features on here are pretty interesting. Plus the video quality and audio quality loving blew me away and I felt like I was back watching this in the theater again while watching the Blu-Ray. I don't feel ripped off at all.

For anyone on the fence about buying it, buy it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff and it's really awesome how much of the movie was practical effects. Dredd's gun was real and designed around a basic 9mm, Dredd's motorbike was real and designed around a 500cc, Mega City One is just real-world shots of Johannesburg with some digital painting over them, people getting shot during the Slow-Mo scenes were blown with giant blasts of compressed air to give them that look like they'd just gotten hit by something high-impact, etc.

I know some review(s) said this Blu-Ray was barebones but I don't feel like that at all. The special features on here are pretty interesting. Plus the video quality and audio quality loving blew me away and I felt like I was back watching this in the theater again while watching the Blu-Ray. I don't feel ripped off at all.

For anyone on the fence about buying it, buy it.

Yeah even short clips are on how to do practical effects or the set design are really fascinating to me.

Was really neat seeing how they did a majority of the stunning slow mo scenes using mainly practical effects and lots of time intensive trial-error with their special high frame rate cameras.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Missed this in the theaters, but rented and watched it today.
Movie of the year. Incredible visuals, and mind-blowing soundtrack. Might be the first movie I actually buy, instead of hoping for a netflix release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Cheesequake posted:

mind-blowing soundtrack

You ain't lyin'! It's like the Half-Life soundtrack combined with ambient type stuff that sends shivers down your spine in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbTzhBMouVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8c1DcC9jJA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress Best Buy so hard. I drove a half an hour in a traffic jam to get Dredd and they didn't even have a copy.How does best buy not have one copy of a movie on it's release day?

You ain't lyin'! It's like the Half-Life soundtrack combined with ambient type stuff that sends shivers down your spine in a good way.

I'm not a Soundtrack guy but I had to buy the soundtrack an hour after I first saw it. I still listen to it at least once a wekk.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

NESguerilla posted:

gently caress Best Buy so hard. I drove a half an hour in a traffic jam to get Dredd and they didn't even have a copy.How does best buy not have one copy of a movie on it's release day?

I'm not a Soundtrack guy but I had to buy the soundtrack an hour after I first saw it. I still listen to it at least once a wekk.

For anyone who loves the soundtrack, make sure to add this to the end of your playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVFi6qkPHE

(I was hoping this would make it into the film)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
poo poo. The soundtrack is pretty sweet.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The soundtrack is one of the best parts of the movie. It's really memorable, I bought it when I got home from the theater and I can see the scenes in my head when I listen to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Let's hope it's because they all sold.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sorry, my app dropped me back into the edit window and I thought I'd not posted.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
On second viewing, I caught Anderson leaving and holding the helmet, as someone earlier pointed out. So subtle and effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah. It's almost like the writer is saying, though the Chief, that if you expect some in-depth look into Dredd's psyche then you're in the wrong movie, because that's not considered important compared to his portrayal as an extension of the law.
That's the one thing I did like about the film. I'm sick to death of origin stories!

• Locked thread