Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to search for dead pixels on an IPS monitor? Just toss up a full screen pure white image and look really closely?

You need a full white, black, and probably red, green, and blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to search for dead pixels on an IPS monitor? Just toss up a full screen pure white image and look really closely?
I've been using Dead Pixel Tester for a number of years. Also good for testing if your camera has a bad sensor pixel.

http://www.download3k.com/Install-Dead-Pixel-Tester.html

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.
Also black image. Stuck pixels can be red, blue or green and hot pixels are white.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why do you want to find bad pixels? To get a replacement, I guess?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Just got the U2713HM and Jesus Christ I've been a fool for not buying this sooner. I had no idea that IPS made that much of a difference. I got it on Amazon with some Christmas giftcards and free shipping and couldn't be happier. I think I have the "IPS Glow" in the bottom right corner that people seem to be talking about but it really isn't any big deal. No dead pixels, no "yellowing" of the bottom left corner that were reported in some of the earlier versions. Just an all-around really, really solid display.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I used a 1080 32" lg tv as a monitor for a short while. Luckily it had a pc mode that turned off all the visual junk. Otherwise. It wasn't too bad. Definitely prefer the density if my 24" screen though

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Thermopyle posted:

Why do you want to find bad pixels? To get a replacement, I guess?

Hey, if I'm dropping money on something it had better be perfect :colbert:

Thanks for the tips on how to spot them guys. Also I must say that going from 1280x1024 to U2412M's 1920x1200 is uh... a little disorienting. Like, nauseous and dizzy disorienting. holy poo poo this screen is big

Edit: On a IPS panel, I'm guessing it isn't normal to notice some backlight bleed on corners when looking dead center, but when you move you head to look at the edge straight on have it disappear?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 9, 2013

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My opinion on bad pixels is that if you can't see it (at least before your product warranty is over :v:), you're better off this way.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What's the current recommendation as far as Korean import models/seller

Looking for one that is:
Pixel Perfect (or close to)
VESA Mountable
Reasonably Colour Accurate (at least compared to my current two TN's one of which no matter what I do is too blue, and the other is too red, and makes close shades of grey look exactly the same /endrant)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Edit: On a IPS panel, I'm guessing it isn't normal to notice some backlight bleed on corners when looking dead center, but when you move you head to look at the edge straight on have it disappear?
Any glare that disappears when you reorient your head in relation to the display is IPS glow, which is unavoidable. It can be distinguished from backlight bleed by viewing a black fullscreen in darkness standing at least 5 feet away at center.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

Any glare that disappears when you reorient your head in relation to the display is IPS glow, which is unavoidable. It can be distinguished from backlight bleed by viewing a black fullscreen in darkness standing at least 5 feet away at center.

Hey I just got U2412M and that was the first thing I noticed. I pushed the monitor back a bit but it's annoying. I'll probably get used to it as the colors are much better than my old monitor so it's easier to swallow the pill.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

mmm11105 posted:

What's the current recommendation as far as Korean import models/seller

Looking for one that is:
Pixel Perfect (or close to)
VESA Mountable
Reasonably Colour Accurate (at least compared to my current two TN's one of which no matter what I do is too blue, and the other is too red, and makes close shades of grey look exactly the same /endrant)

I've recently picked up an Irun ZT-SH270QHD from Excellent Castle and had a good experience with them (they'll really go out of their way to appease you). The reason why I went with this particular monitor (aside from the price, which was $319.99 with free shipping. Swift, too: it was shipped from Korea on a Wednesday and in my hands on Friday) was that it appears to be the original branding of the Overlords. The housing, layout, specs, accessories and warranty match up to the Overlords, with the only difference being the re-branded bezel. I figured that even if mine wasn't of the fabled 100hz+ variety, that I would still have a monitor solid enough for these guys to put their name on (mine had a max of 67hz, by the way). Also, if need be, they have a bunch of color profiles there that's applicable to this monitor.

The original Irun bezel is a fingerprint magnet, but aside from that the monitor has served me great so far. Also, coming from the Yamakazi Catleap 2703 (discussed in an earlier post), it was nice to not have any idiosyncrasies to get used to the vertical line issue from cold and having to dismantle the monitor to fully remove the stand to place on a VESA mount. As for my particular monitor, I had 1 and 1/2 issues.

• One of the VESA screw standoffs within the monitor wound up spinning with the screw: thereby making it impossible to remover without dismantling the monitor. I wound up cutting the head off the screw to remove the old stand. Unfortunately, this would mean that my monitor is being held by 3 VESA screws instead of the full 4. I could've returned it for free over this and Excellent Castle would have provided a new one, but the timing made that inconvenient as I would have been unable to use my main computer however long that process took. Besides, I was confident I could fix it on my end. So they gave me a partial refund ($30) instead for the trouble. A total fluke, really: how often does something like that happen?
  • 1/2 There's one stuck pixel an inch from the top, 4-5 inches right of center. It's only noticeable on dark backgrounds, and even then I have to go looking for it. As I didn't get the Perfect Pixel, and being confident that I can get it unstuck, I'm totally fine with this.

This is a glossy monitor, in case that is a factor for you. The Yamakasi I had briefly had tempered glass, which while aesthetically pleasing and provides an additional later of protection for the screen, also presents additional issues with the potential for dust between the panel and glass as well as exacerbating the reflectiveness of the glossy screen. The ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB (specifically the B) is the only one said to have a tempered glass process that is absolutely dust-free.

I don't have a colorimeter, so I can't speak about the particulars on that other than that the picture has been excellent and a substantial step up from the Viewsonic Vx2336s I was using.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Hemish posted:

Hey I just got U2412M and that was the first thing I noticed. I pushed the monitor back a bit but it's annoying. I'll probably get used to it as the colors are much better than my old monitor so it's easier to swallow the pill.

That was my same thought when I switch from some no-name TN monitor to my current PLS monitor: it's annoying but not nearly as bad as the obvious and bad dithering.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Sharp shows off 32" 4k Monitors.

Thing must need quad sli to drive it.

e: 5 grand and 3840x2160

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 9, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hemish posted:

It's not a defect, it's just a part of IPS panels. The screen's too big for your field of vision to take it all in head-on, essentially. The good news is that it doesn't actually interfere with color reproduction so it's not remotely as jarring or visually disruptive as lovely TN viewing angle washout.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

I just tried it, and while there is some slight extra lightness near the edges of the screen, its evenly distributed. Also just realized I don't think I understand the full difference between bleed and normal "hey there's LED's on the edges so some lightness may appear".

ehh it's not like I'll be editing photos at the corners of the screen anyways.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Sharp shows off 32" 4k Monitors.

Thing must need quad sli to drive it.

e: 5 grand and 3840x2160

Wonder if you would need something like dual-link DisplayPort to drive one at 60hz :aaaaa:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

EightBit posted:

Wonder if you would need something like dual-link DisplayPort to drive one at 60hz :aaaaa:

As long as it only scans vertical frequency (like LCD monitors do), it can be driven from a single DP 1.2 port.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How about a 20" 3840x2560 monitor?
http://liliputing.com/2013/01/hands-on-with-panasonics-20-inch-4k-tablet-prototype-video.html

Ok, so it's an all-in-one, (branded as a tablet :rolleyes:) but dat resolution. The sooner we get past this 1920x1080 bullshit, the better.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/hands-on-with-panasonics-20-inch-4k-tablet-prototype-video.html

Ok, so it's an all-in-one, (branded as a tablet :rolleyes:) but dat resolution. The sooner we get past this 1920x1080 bullshit, the better.

This is the type of progress I've been waiting for, for years. I'm sure almost all of you guys have been too, but its about time. Hopefully only 2 more years until we get affordable high res panels.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We need 48-60hz movies/blurays way sooner than we need anything more than 1920x1080.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

We need 48-60hz movies/blurays way sooner than we need anything more than 1920x1080.
Some people use their computers for things other than watching movies.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'd rather have cheap high-resolution monitors. Just think, we might start to see movies commercially available in 4K, if only we had displays capable of it! :allears:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

YESSSS wake me up when there's 32 inch 4k desktop display for a thousand bucks. I'll be in a coma until then.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Newegg has the VS239H-P open boxes back in stock for $128. Is it a good time to buy, or should I save for a higher-end monitor? I'm mostly looking for more space to run Ableton, since my 13" MBP feels a bit cramped.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Seamonster posted:

YESSSS wake me up when there's 32 inch 4k desktop display for a thousand bucks. I'll be in a coma until then.
1024x768 was still the most-used resolution one year ago, until 1366x768 climbed the rest of the way out of Satan's rear end in a top hat and finished plastering itself on drat near every laptop, regardless of screen size. The good news is the chart might be counting the iPad, which would explain the little bump in 1024x768 towards the end. Apparently there are also 1360x768 monitors :wtc:

We've got a ways to go.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Seamonster posted:

4K is a little silly. If you have a 32" 4K display, you would need to have your eyes 25" away from the screen to actually make use of that resolution. That is uncomfortably close to a display that large.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m I'm dumb

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

evensevenone posted:

4K is a little silly. If you have a 32" 4K display, you would need to have your eyes 25" away from the screen to actually make use of that resolution. That is uncomfortably close to a display that large.

I think you have this backwards. Going beyond that you probably wont notice, anything closer and you're gaining the benefits of endlessly smooth fonts.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 10, 2013

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

evensevenone posted:

I'm about 30" away from a 27" display and my eyes aren't close to being overwhelmed yet. However, adding in a 20" LCD in portrait mode to my right or left puts it just tucked away into the corner of my vision where I need to turn my head to make much out of the screen. Being able to have a single, large, high resolution display may obsolete a number of dual monitor setups for professional / cluttered-as-gently caress use cases.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I just impulse bought a Samsung S27G350H. How stupid of me was that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

xtal posted:

I just impulse bought a Samsung S27G350H. How stupid of me was that?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the "2ms" in the title was part of your buying decision. There's a lot of bullshit words in the description:

quote:

Monitor equipped with Samsung’s unique color engine and White LED-backlight (WLED), has higher color accuracy requirements, color temperature and brightness. The new monitors’ highest response time is 5ms and also features MEGA DCR technology, which enhances dynamic contrast 5,000,000:1 in textural images. Diversified “Magic” functions allow you to extend its viewing angle so the screen always appears as if viewed face-on.

What are you going to be using it for? Everyone here is going to tell you to get an IPS monitor, and for around what you paid, you could get a Dell u2412m, which is an excellent monitor. It's only 24", but it has a better resolution (and aspect ratio) than the Samsung. It will also have better viewing angles and color reproduction than the Samsung because it's IPS. Are you just watching movies? The Samsung is fine. Playing games where every frame matters? The Samsung is fine, but the difference in speed over the Dell is probably imperceptible. Are you editing images where color is important? You want IPS. Do you want to edit 1080P video at 1:1? You want a higher resolution. Do you want things to look consistent from (almost) all angles? You want IPS.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just in to say again, the super-ultra-high latency from the 2410 is imperceptible for me in non-FPS games. And I don't even use the "Game Mode" which halves the latency. I'm very anal about those things but if it's not preventing me from playing Bit Trip Runner then it's fine.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The flip side of that coin was that I could perceive my U2412m was less responsive than my old Samsung 226BW (which I am again using), so if you care about games YMMV for certain.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Here's an analysis from AnandTech. There's a Samsung in the comparison chart, but it's 120Hz. The S27B350H doesn't give any indication so it's probably 60Hz.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5550/dell-u2412m-16-10-ips-without-breaking-the-bank/7

If response time is super-important then the u2412m probably isn't going to cut it, but it's great for just about everything else. And if response time is top priority for people then I wish someone had told me last month because I recycled two 21" 2048x1536 Trinitrons.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Another OCD question regarding the U2412M -

I noticed that the blue LED light from the power button shines through from behind the surrounding bezel onto the screen (not enough to see straight on, but still slightly noticeable at an angle). Anyone else encounter this? Should I chalk it up to bad construction, or is it normal to have some space between the bezel and the panel?

Other than that, drat this is a sweet monitor and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good 16:10 IPS panel.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The problem with the U2412M is reverse ghosting. It has nothing to do with response time, it has to do with Dell screwing up the overdrive settings in the same way BenQ ruins every single monitor they make with awful gamma presets and extremely aggressive overdrive.

There are tons of "slow" monitors that have surprisingly good performance in real life like most Asus IPS monitors.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Chafe posted:

The problem with the U2412M is reverse ghosting. It has nothing to do with response time, it has to do with Dell screwing up the overdrive settings in the same way BenQ ruins every single monitor they make with awful gamma presets and extremely aggressive overdrive.

There are tons of "slow" monitors that have surprisingly good performance in real life like most Asus IPS monitors.

the ASUS PB278Q (PLS, but it's pretty similar performance to IPS) has a slightly over-aggressive overdrive too. I wouldn't say it's extreme, but noticeable if you are tracking a moving object without moving the viewpoint in a game.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Chafe posted:

it has to do with Dell screwing up the overdrive settings in the same way BenQ ruins every single monitor they make with awful gamma presets and extremely aggressive overdrive.

Is the overdrive setting only on when using the gaming preset, or is it always on by default? I haven't really noticed a lot of ghosting, but then again I used to have a 1704FT with a 12-14ms response time and never really saw any then either.

Edit: nevermind, just read up on what the different presets do.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the "2ms" in the title was part of your buying decision. There's a lot of bullshit words in the description:

What are you going to be using it for? Everyone here is going to tell you to get an IPS monitor, and for around what you paid, you could get a Dell u2412m, which is an excellent monitor. It's only 24", but it has a better resolution (and aspect ratio) than the Samsung. It will also have better viewing angles and color reproduction than the Samsung because it's IPS. Are you just watching movies? The Samsung is fine. Playing games where every frame matters? The Samsung is fine, but the difference in speed over the Dell is probably imperceptible. Are you editing images where color is important? You want IPS. Do you want to edit 1080P video at 1:1? You want a higher resolution. Do you want things to look consistent from (almost) all angles? You want IPS.

I don't mind the latency, although it is a benefit. I just needed to use my older 22" monitor for something else and was too impatient to do the research. :v:

Most of my time spent on the computer is coding or general browsing, but I also play games and edit images/videos occasionally. I'm okay with a good monitor, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad monitor. :)