Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

House league where I'm at has caps the number of goals a player is allowed per game if he's playing down. If he keep scoring he gets a suspension. :v:

Don't think it makes the game any more fun as it just means you have a bored skater coasting around doing nothing, but it does limit blowouts. And maybe motivates the guy to step up a level if he wants to play to potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had our first playoff game after 3 weeks off cause of Christmas and New Years last night, won 8-1 against a team that sometimes owns the hell out of us. Managed to play pretty decent but got unlucky with a few shots on net that just missed going in, but still got a few assists cause of the shots so I guess I'll take it.

Also last night was the first time I got to use my new Rocket dryer and holy hell is it awesome. Put it on for 2 hours (I think, it was kind of dark for where I set the timer to) and as soon as it was done everything was completely dry.

So I'm really happy about it because now my poo poo won't keep getting too worse with their stench.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If your gear doesn't smell like death, then you aren't a real hockey player :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm content with being a wannabe then, because gently caress that smell.

I guess it's an okay smell when it's one piece of stinky hockey gear, but when you walk into a locker room that has no air circulation and is stuffed with 20 sweaty guys it's the worst loving thing because it's like breathing soup. Stinky rancid soup.

Excuse me while I go run my pads through the washing machine again.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 26, 2013

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I found out weekend pickup roller games are going on around the corner from my house and now I am rushing to gather gear to play. I live two hours from hockeygiant so I want to make sure I have a list of poo poo to buy so I don't have to make this trip often if the hockey bug bites and I join a league. The last time I played, 8 years ago as a minor, insurance issues had us in full ice gear. What are people wearing for protection now in roller? Do I need shoulder pads and a girdle?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I remember talk about a year or so ago about a hockey oriented workout being put together. I searched in YLLS and didn't see an immediate thread and was hoping you all had a few suggestions. Stick boy here wants to put on some mass, strength, and agility so that I can dominate the C leagues in May.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

tehk posted:

I found out weekend pickup roller games are going on around the corner from my house and now I am rushing to gather gear to play. I live two hours from hockeygiant so I want to make sure I have a list of poo poo to buy so I don't have to make this trip often if the hockey bug bites and I join a league. The last time I played, 8 years ago as a minor, insurance issues had us in full ice gear. What are people wearing for protection now in roller? Do I need shoulder pads and a girdle?

Helmet
Elbow Pads
Gloves
Cup
Inline Girdle - optional
Shin Pads
Skates

Unless it is required you shouldn't wear shoulder pads, like 1% of inline people do, and they look silly.

rabbitholediver
Oct 19, 2004
deeper and deeper
Living in New Orleans and trying to play hockey sucks. Anybody down here have any advice on a good league? Inline is fine if that's all there is.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sassafras posted:

I play 2-4 times a week, bought one of these back in mid December, and I'm loving it too. Not sure whether I should risk putting my skates in, but otherwise dry gear is wonderful.

The heat is a very low temperature. It's the constant airflow in the bag (which is why if it doesn't inflate it doesnt work) that drys it with moderate heat.

I put my skates in there and there's been no risk to them getting to the temp you need to bake them, etc. When they're baked you cant even touch the eyelids, this doesn't get nearly that hot.

As for the smell, even the worst weekend warrior team doesn't really smell as bad as after consecutive skates, hockey camps, etc for a few days. Thankfully the pond hockey skates are short, otherwise that poor cottage we're renting is going to be ripe for the next tenants

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I got some $300 Warrior stick for Christmas and just got back from trying it out for the first time. Holy poo poo, I can't believe the difference! Usually I'll spend $100-$125 but the difference between the two is just incredible, it feels like cheating. All I have to do is put just a little effort into a snap shot and the puck goes flying.

It's going to be a sad, sad day when this twig breaks (probably like a month with my luck), because there's no way in hell I can afford to buy sticks like this. :( But man..

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The best part about all of this, is that this dude plays BRONZE as well. Word on the street from the Captains, is that he just recently got banned from taking shots down in Bronze, on the same team that Topo just mentioned had her favorite superfan.

I knew who you were talking about before you said this, lol

You sure all of your teammates were out of the zone when you cleared it JetsGuy? I'll call an intentional offsides if a player keeps pursuing the puck when I'm signaling a delay and have said DELAY twice, or (and this one is actually rule) if a player shoots the puck from behind the blue line on net while a player on their team is offsides.

edit: I don't want to haul everyone all the way down to the other end if I can possibly avoid it so it actually annoys me to have to call an intentional offsides. :xd:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 9, 2013

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Oh hey, I get to post in here officially now :) Not counting the Veteran's Day "game" I played in, this coming Sunday will be my first real ice hockey of my life. My teammates are all very patient as to how terrible I am but I'm still nervous as hell about how badly I play. Oh well, at least I'm trying. And sometimes I have fun.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

As for the smell, even the worst weekend warrior team doesn't really smell as bad as after consecutive skates, hockey camps, etc for a few days. Thankfully the pond hockey skates are short, otherwise that poor cottage we're renting is going to be ripe for the next tenants

Keys to not smelling like rear end after pond hockey:
1) It has to be like -20
2) Don't wear too many layers that will warm you up
3) Don't skate too hard

Being drunk helps with #3 so I'll be doing that. Plus we can't afford to win so there's no incentive to go at it with gusto. I'm pretty sure playing in the medal round on Sunday morning would mean roughly $2,000 in forfeited flights back to our respective homes.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Keys to not smelling like rear end after pond hockey:
1) It has to be like -20
2) Don't wear too many layers that will warm you up
3) Don't skate too hard

Being drunk helps with #3 so I'll be doing that. Plus we can't afford to win so there's no incentive to go at it with gusto. I'm pretty sure playing in the medal round on Sunday morning would mean roughly $2,000 in forfeited flights back to our respective homes.

You have me skating for you guys. We have nothing to worry about Sunday.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh hey, I get to post in here officially now :) Not counting the Veteran's Day "game" I played in, this coming Sunday will be my first real ice hockey of my life. My teammates are all very patient as to how terrible I am but I'm still nervous as hell about how badly I play. Oh well, at least I'm trying. And sometimes I have fun.

Are you playing at Valley?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Sassafras posted:

I play 2-4 times a week, bought one of these back in mid December, and I'm loving it too. Not sure whether I should risk putting my skates in, but otherwise dry gear is wonderful.

Do you know roughly what the diameter is when it's inflated? Wondering how much space for it I would need if I were to set it up in my apartment.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I remember talk about a year or so ago about a hockey oriented workout being put together. I searched in YLLS and didn't see an immediate thread and was hoping you all had a few suggestions. Stick boy here wants to put on some mass, strength, and agility so that I can dominate the C leagues in May.

One billion burpees and explosive pushups. Like, sets of 20 with 10-15 seconds of rest in between. Alternate until complete failure. I've starting jogging to a park about a mile away and doing burpee sets there and then walking my busted rear end back home. Or, if you want to lift heavy things in a gym, squats, military press, and bench press are an excellent start. Really, the Starting Strength program is awesome all around if you're looking for something more like a complete program. Squats will definitely give you hockey legs(and rear end) in a hurry(relatively speaking).

GQ or Men's Fitmess or something has some articles on hockey training that are solid... that's where I got the idea to start doing burpees and pushups.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Lunges are really important, start off with body weight. As they become easier you can use dumbbells, increase the number of lunges you do, or do box steps where you essentially lunge onto a raised platform. One thing that really helped me with lunges is to do a lunge, return to a standing position, and then do your next lunge. If you do lunge after lunge without returning to a standing position, then your form will slip and at least for me, the exercise became tougher but not necessarily more effective. Also, band walks are a great exercise, but they may be more applicable to goalies and basketball players than skaters.

As for starting strength, I did it in the past and it worked well for a while, but it can be hard to balance heavy lifting with playing hockey several times per week. Also, after doing physical therapy and working out with a training to rehab knee injuries, I'm learning there are a lot of other ways to strengthen your legs and power lifting may not always be the best way to achieve it. If you can, arrange a few sessions with a trainer. They can teach you proper form for the starting strength exercises and if you explain to them what your goals are, they can put together an exercises program that is more suited for hockey. Starting strength is a football workout from what I recall and while both football players and hockey players need a lot of lower body strength, there are different ways that you can train that may be more productive for hockey.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 9, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, gently caress burpees. I've been doing them with a 30 lb version of this and by the end of the third set I feel like I'm gonna pass out.

Lunges, squats, presses.. I can force myself to finish sets on any of those but burpees destroy me. I tend to only do them after I've done any other work I had planned because the odds of me wussing out if I start with burpees are enormous.

Aniki posted:

If you can, arrange a few sessions with a trainer. They can teach you proper form for the starting strength exercises and if you explain to them what your goals are, they can put together an exercises program that is more suited for hockey. Starting strength is a football workout from what I recall and while both football players and hockey players need a lot of lower body strength, there are different ways that you can train that may be more productive for hockey.

If anyone's going to pay for hockey related training, I strongly suggest looking into hockeyot.com. You do some fitness tests, fill in some numbers, select what areas of your performance you want to improve, and it spits out a month's worth of workouts. I used it for a year and a half and it suited me well. I only cancelled the service because I've been too busy to stay on a fixed schedule, the days I can go to the gym are pretty random lately.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 9, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

robcat posted:

Do you know roughly what the diameter is when it's inflated? Wondering how much space for it I would need if I were to set it up in my apartment.
It's maybe a foot or two wide. The base of the thing is maybe 2 1/2 feet wide but if you have an open area for a chair to be in, you can fit the entire thing in it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Benson Cunningham posted:

Are you playing at Valley?

Nope, Vadnais Heights

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

rabbitholediver posted:

Living in New Orleans and trying to play hockey sucks. Anybody down here have any advice on a good league? Inline is fine if that's all there is.

I never got involved with them because I was a poor grad student, but I was always told the BTR SOL was pretty good. They play by Cortana Mall. I realize it's an hour+ drive from NOLA to BTR, but if the NOLA league sucks that much, you may wanna look into it.

EDIT:

http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view/bruhahockey/about/about-the-league

Apparently, it's only one division, so beware I guess? There's very likely few (if any) former pros in Baton Rouge, and they allegedly reshuffle the teams every season, so I'd imagine it's fairly well balanced?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
By the way, got another goal in my game Sunday. :woot: I'm getting more and more opportunities, especially because I can generally use my big rear end legs to catch up and and get open to players on the break. There have been several times I have been able to get back and sail past a defender to help the guy out on the rush.

Anyway, I just wanna take this time to thank everyone in this thread. I honestly love playing and really have had a lot more fun than I could have ever imagined playing this sport. I *finally* have a sport that I'm not terrible (well, ok, I'm still terrible) at that is also a ton of fun. Thanks for all the patience in putting up with my dumb-rear end questions and poo poo y'all!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

As for starting strength, I did it in the past and it worked well for a while, but it can be hard to balance heavy lifting with playing hockey several times per week. Also, after doing physical therapy and working out with a training to rehab knee injuries, I'm learning there are a lot of other ways to strengthen your legs and power lifting may not always be the best way to achieve it.

Lifting owns. Please lift.

e: heavy squats will literally double your goal count.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 9, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lifting owns. Please lift.

e: heavy squats will literally double your goal count.

Squatting cures cancer and juvenile diabetes.

Edit: I still do sumo squats and dumbbell squats, but I don't see myself doing heavy barbell squats any time in the near future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aniki posted:

How many squats? Because they ain't curing any of my poo poo. :mad:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

How many squats? Because they ain't curing any of my poo poo. :mad:

11 factorial.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Aniki posted:

Edit: I still do sumo squats and dumbbell squats, but I don't see myself doing heavy barbell squats any time in the near future.

Is this a serious post, because I've had two kinds of cancer-prevention surgery already and I'm only 28...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

JetsGuy posted:

Is this a serious post, because I've had two kinds of cancer-prevention surgery already and I'm only 28...

No, I was making fun of the viewpoint that some people think squatting is a panacea. It's a very good exercise and effective when done with proper form, but heavy barbell squats are not the only way to train your lower body.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
What other exercise works out the legs as comprehensively as squats? Sure, others can focus on specific groups in the lower body but I haven't found anything that comes close to squats, but if it's out there I'd definitely love to know about it. I hate squats.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Aniki posted:

No, I was making fun of the viewpoint that some people think squatting is a panacea. It's a very good exercise and effective when done with proper form, but heavy barbell squats are not the only way to train your lower body.

Ok because I was gonna say "damned squats helped me none!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

What other exercise works out the legs as comprehensively as squats? Sure, others can focus on specific groups in the lower body but I haven't found anything that comes close to squats, but if it's out there I'd definitely love to know about it. I hate squats.

Lunges seem to be the traditional go-to exercise for skaters. Which are basically just squats done a different way. :v:

So I don't think there's any way to escape them.

I love working my legs and will squat until I can't stand. It's working tiny muscle groups in the shoulders that turn me into a big weeping baby.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the last signal... posted:

I got some $300 Warrior stick for Christmas and just got back from trying it out for the first time. Holy poo poo, I can't believe the difference! Usually I'll spend $100-$125 but the difference between the two is just incredible, it feels like cheating. All I have to do is put just a little effort into a snap shot and the puck goes flying.

It's going to be a sad, sad day when this twig breaks (probably like a month with my luck), because there's no way in hell I can afford to buy sticks like this. :( But man..

That stick is 129 in the off season. Maybe less with coupons once it's on clearance and off of MAP. I got the Widow SE which is like 250 regularly for around 100 recently. Just load up then.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Lunges seem to be the traditional go-to exercise for skaters. Which are basically just squats done a different way. :v:

So I don't think there's any way to escape them.

I love working my legs and will squat until I can't stand. It's working tiny muscle groups in the shoulders that turn me into a big weeping baby.

Barbell squats are fine if you have a real offseason, but balancing heavy weight lifting and skating a couple times per week gets tricky, since your body won't have adequate time to recover from the squats and your performance on ice and gains from squatting will be reduced. If you are playing frequently, then stick to lunges, wall sits, calf-raises, different variations of squats (e.g. dumbbell, body weight, sumo squats) and focus more on proper form than doing as much weight as possible. Also, band walks are very useful and there are a ton of different exercises that you can do with bands. I also do a lot of balancing and core exercises, but those may be more important for goalies than skaters. For me, I've found that eschewing power lifting for different leg exercises has been beneficial, but it will be different for everyone. I just think it is a bad idea to do starting strength during a period while you are playing frequent, since it is very easy to over train and both your play and gains from weight lifting can suffer. If you have an offseason or aren't playing frequently, then heavy lifting shouldn't be a problem.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I've had to get used to my Mako being a solid 2" longer than my old 5030, but I'm finding I'm getting a lot better shots now so I guess it's working.

rabbitholediver
Oct 19, 2004
deeper and deeper

JetsGuy posted:

I never got involved with them because I was a poor grad student, but I was always told the BTR SOL was pretty good. They play by Cortana Mall. I realize it's an hour+ drive from NOLA to BTR, but if the NOLA league sucks that much, you may wanna look into it.

EDIT:

http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view/bruhahockey/about/about-the-league

Apparently, it's only one division, so beware I guess? There's very likely few (if any) former pros in Baton Rouge, and they allegedly reshuffle the teams every season, so I'd imagine it's fairly well balanced?

Thanks! I played on the CCHL travel team back when I was in highschool, but the CCHL is gone now. I'll look into it.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I've had to get used to my Mako being a solid 2" longer than my old 5030, but I'm finding I'm getting a lot better shots now so I guess it's working.

You know you can cut carbon sticks...right?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

zinc68 posted:

You know you can cut carbon sticks...right?

Yes, but I actually am finding playing a longer stick to be pretty good now that I got used to it. Without skates, my 5030 comes up to my lips, the Mako comes up to the tip of my nose. I also don't want to saw off too much and lose a lot of flex (its 85 now). I guess it's a personal preference thing, but the longer stick forces me to cock my elbow up more which I find to be better for bumping around the puck.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 26, 2013