Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Firearms manufactures generally aren't in the habit of selling guns illegally, so of course there will be a legal sale at some point in the life of the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Firearms manufactures generally aren't in the habit of selling guns illegally, so of course there will be a legal sale at some point in the life of the gun.

Right... which would mean that if guns where more controlled then the criminal wouldn't be able to obtain a gun as easily because the legally bought guns would be harder to well... buy.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

This is making the rounds with my military friends. I love how he uses the term "densely populated metropolitan areas" or whatever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
From what I can tell the guy is saying that all the crime in the US happens in urban neighborhoods where "those people" live, so it would be wrong to do anything to keep blammo death machines out of the hands of scared white people.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

cheerfullydrab posted:

From what I can tell the guy is saying that all the crime in the US happens in urban neighborhoods where "those people" live, so it would be wrong to do anything to keep blammo death machines out of the hands of scared white people.

To his credit he says the solution is politicians getting on the ground and actually solving education and poverty issues in those neighbourhoods- and he's not even really bootstrappy about it. Of course it's silly to suggest we can't do both, and he's pretty shady with some of his suggestions on statistics. Yes. The U.S. does have 6 times the metropolitan areas- and ~6 times the total population. If anything that shows 'murder per 100 000 people' is a perfectly legitimate ratio to compare. He also ignores what constitutes 'violent crime' differs between the countries, as does the reporting rate.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
When I first saw that I kept waiting for him to bring race into it outright.

I personally feel he actually makes some good points; specifically rifles being uncommon in crimes and much more importantly, poverty being a root cause of violent crime. If anything I'm happy that so many conservatives are watching and agreeing with a video that explicitly states poverty, employment, and education need to be addressed. It's a shame the conclusion seems to be that a higher bar to gun ownership wouldn't help, though.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Why is the media picking and choosing stats to support it's agenda!?!?!? Hmmmm?!? Let's look at the numbers shall we?

*cherry picks data to support agenda*

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

TerminalSaint posted:

When I first saw that I kept waiting for him to bring race into it outright.

I personally feel he actually makes some good points; specifically rifles being uncommon in crimes and much more importantly, poverty being a root cause of violent crime. If anything I'm happy that so many conservatives are watching and agreeing with a video that explicitly states poverty, employment, and education need to be addressed. It's a shame the conclusion seems to be that a higher bar to gun ownership wouldn't help, though.

Same here, but pretty much tacitly blamed it on metropolitan/urban areas. Not directly relating it to a specific race, but more towards a particular class.

He concentrated on violent crime stats, not specifically firearm-related crime, except for the comment on rifle crime being low. The violent crime stats cover ANY violence against a person. Stabbings, glassings, etc was all over the news when I lived in England. The US doesn't quite have urban areas quite as dense as the ones in England, which I imagine play a part in why the violent crime rate is higher in England/Wales. But he's right in the end, poverty does play a great part in a lot of the crime in both countries. So we know we'll never solve the poverty problem in the US. Hooray!

I'll admit, he was a lot calmer than Alex Jones was, and easier to understand.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
The problem for me isn't so much the class/race blaming it's that he made a video in response to media discussion of gun violence in the US following a mass shooting, smugly (SO SMUG) chastises the media for not accurately presenting the available data, then proceeds to not accurately present the available data by totally ignoring gun related crime stats. His argument is trash.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I keep a friend on Facebook specificly for posts like this. He has had worse. Much worse. Pretty surpised he hasn't found freep yet.

quote:

Dear Gabby Giffords, please fall in a hole and stay there. Just because you got shot doesn't make you the only person, or even government official, to ever have been shot at. Your idiotic tirade against guns is nonsense. I'll introduce you to people who have really been targeted, people who have actually "come under fire", people who are true American heroes that have done far more for this country than your pathetic rear end has ever done. The vast majority will tell you that guns are not the problem. You're a loving dumbass for not listening.

People want to ban hi-cap magazines. What if someone is panicking and has trouble hitting the target? Should that person risk being raped and killed because they aren't expert marksmen? No. If they happen to have a hi-cap magazine loaded up, they have more chances to defend themselves in the heat of the moment.

The loving Constitution (Democrats know this better as "that fancy, soft toilet paper stuff") does NOT (NOT NOT NOT) say "the right of the people to keep and bear arms can be limited and controlled to whatever extent the government feels necessary". It actually says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." SHALL NOT, you dumb bitch. Go fall in a hole, and take all the rest of the gun haters with you.

/end rant

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If someone's shooting wildly in a panic the sane reaction is to worry that they might run out of bullets too soon.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Laranzu posted:

I keep a friend on Facebook specificly for posts like this. He has had worse. Much worse. Pretty surpised he hasn't found freep yet.

I've heard of "Blaming the victim" but this is taking it to a whole new level. No wonder things never get done politically in the USA.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Token Cracker posted:

The problem for me isn't so much the class/race blaming it's that he made a video in response to media discussion of gun violence in the US following a mass shooting, smugly (SO SMUG) chastises the media for not accurately presenting the available data, then proceeds to not accurately present the available data by totally ignoring gun related crime stats. His argument is trash.

One thing I thought of right away is that his rant could have gone in a much different direction and been much more insightful had he not had his conclusion already mapped out ahead of time. He did ask some compelling questions at the beginning there about why dropping crime rates are not part of the overall media narrative. But instead of exploring the nature of profit driven media using fear to gain viewers to sell ad space or the prison industrial complex and it's incestuous corporate ties to media companies it's determined that the entire media apparatus has decided on banning guns. Its gotta be 24/7 ban guns all day everyday because anything else might force the dude to look a little bit too closely at what the media is for and who it serves and specifically that there is no money in banning guns but lots of money in selling guns, building prisons, and expanding police forces. In fact, the fear inducing, high crime narrative would be more likely to inspire regular people to believe they need a gun for protection, especially when our entertainment media overwhelmingly supports the concept of good guys with guns stopping the bad guys. This guy seems like another conservative who is so close to getting it, but just veers off at the last minute because his world needs to be a certain way.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Oh come on! Who on Earth could possibly oppose elected officials being paid to serve? This guy is outright stating that government should only be open to the rich!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

The Sin of Onan posted:

Oh come on! Who on Earth could possibly oppose elected officials being paid to serve? This guy is outright stating that government should only be open to the rich!

Also, Congress pretty much never served without pay.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just link this whenever someone posts something by Pat Buchanan:

Did Hitler Want War? posted:

On Sept. 1, 1939, 70 years ago, the German Army crossed the Polish frontier. On Sept. 3, Britain declared war.

Six years later, 50 million Christians and Jews had perished. Britain was broken and bankrupt, Germany a smoldering ruin. Europe had served as the site of the most murderous combat known to man, and civilians had suffered worse horrors than the soldiers.

By May 1945, Red Army hordes occupied all the great capitals of Central Europe: Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Berlin. A hundred million Christians were under the heel of the most barbarous tyranny in history: the Bolshevik regime of the greatest terrorist of them all, Joseph Stalin.

What cause could justify such sacrifices?

The German-Polish war had come out of a quarrel over a town the size of Ocean City, Md., in summer. Danzig, 95 percent German, had been severed from Germany at Versailles in violation of Woodrow Wilson’s principle of self-determination. Even British leaders thought Danzig should be returned.

Why did Warsaw not negotiate with Berlin, which was hinting at an offer of compensatory territory in Slovakia? Because the Poles had a war guarantee from Britain that, should Germany attack, Britain and her empire would come to Poland’s rescue.

But why would Britain hand an unsolicited war guarantee to a junta of Polish colonels, giving them the power to drag Britain into a second war with the most powerful nation in Europe?

Was Danzig worth a war? Unlike the 7 million Hong Kongese whom the British surrendered to Beijing, who didn’t want to go, the Danzigers were clamoring to return to Germany.

Comes the response: The war guarantee was not about Danzig, or even about Poland. It was about the moral and strategic imperative “to stop Hitler” after he showed, by tearing up the Munich pact and Czechoslovakia with it, that he was out to conquer the world. And this Nazi beast could not be allowed to do that.

If true, a fair point. Americans, after all, were prepared to use atom bombs to keep the Red Army from the Channel. But where is the evidence that Adolf Hitler, whose victims as of March 1939 were a fraction of Gen. Pinochet’s, or Fidel Castro’s, was out to conquer the world?

After Munich in 1938, Czechoslovakia did indeed crumble and come apart. Yet consider what became of its parts.

The Sudeten Germans were returned to German rule, as they wished. Poland had annexed the tiny disputed region of Teschen, where thousands of Poles lived. Hungary’s ancestral lands in the south of Slovakia had been returned to her. The Slovaks had their full independence guaranteed by Germany. As for the Czechs, they came to Berlin for the same deal as the Slovaks, but Hitler insisted they accept a protectorate.

Now one may despise what was done, but how did this partition of Czechoslovakia manifest a Hitlerian drive for world conquest?

Comes the reply: If Britain had not given the war guarantee and gone to war, after Czechoslovakia would have come Poland’s turn, then Russia’s, then France’s, then Britain’s, then the United States.

We would all be speaking German now.

But if Hitler was out to conquer the world — Britain, Africa, the Middle East, the United States, Canada, South America, India, Asia, Australia — why did he spend three years building that hugely expensive Siegfried Line to protect Germany from France? Why did he start the war with no surface fleet, no troop transports and only 29 oceangoing submarines? How do you conquer the world with a navy that can’t get out of the Baltic Sea?

If Hitler wanted the world, why did he not build strategic bombers, instead of two-engine Dorniers and Heinkels that could not even reach Britain from Germany?

Why did he let the British army go at Dunkirk?

Why did he offer the British peace, twice, after Poland fell, and again after France fell?

Why, when Paris fell, did Hitler not demand the French fleet, as the Allies demanded and got the Kaiser’s fleet? Why did he not demand bases in French-controlled Syria to attack Suez? Why did he beg Benito Mussolini not to attack Greece?

Because Hitler wanted to end the war in 1940, almost two years before the trains began to roll to the camps.

Hitler had never wanted war with Poland, but an alliance with Poland such as he had with Francisco Franco’s Spain, Mussolini’s Italy, Miklos Horthy’s Hungary and Father Jozef Tiso’s Slovakia.

Indeed, why would he want war when, by 1939, he was surrounded by allied, friendly or neutral neighbors, save France. And he had written off Alsace, because reconquering Alsace meant war with France, and that meant war with Britain, whose empire he admired and whom he had always sought as an ally.

As of March 1939, Hitler did not even have a border with Russia. How then could he invade Russia?

Winston Churchill was right when he called it “The Unnecessary War” — the war that may yet prove the mortal blow to our civilization.

Dude is literally a Hitler apologist.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Sin of Onan posted:

George Washington tried to serve without pay but Congress kept convincing him he had to take some money or the position would only ever be for the rich who could afford to take time off from a "real job" for 4 years.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, it looks like enacting some serious reforms in an area where a lot of people are dying or getting hurt can actually yield HUGE results. Imagine if we took gun violence as seriously as we did healthcare reform.

The same people who oppose gun regulation also oppose meaningful healthcare reform.

You're not going to get anywhere with that argument with anyone who actually is arguing the opposite side of the gun regs. issue.

baw posted:

Don't post screeds. People who get their news from image macros won't read a screed. Brevity is the most important thing in Facebook discussion.

Jesus Christ, I occasionally see this elsewhere on the Internet. Someone thinks they posted a :master: and posts it for everyone to see how awesome they are. And all I want to say is, "Nobody who is actually in the audience you're trying to reach read past the first line or two of that wall o' text."

The problem is that the people who actually get into arguments on Facebook post rambling retorts because they usually don't understand the issue well enough to distill it. Or they don't recognize that (as you said) people who get their news or talking points from image macros need to read a single-concept, simple statement that hits them in the face, or they just switch off their brains, see :words:, and go into RETORT MODE.

Walter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 9, 2013

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Facebook's found this gem:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200197848930023

The comments it's brought out of the woodwork are wonderful! Such insightful comments as: "Obama care at it's finest!".

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I usually don't have much crazy on my Facebook feed, but this popped up today:

I guess it's time to purge the friend list again.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I love how the person who created that macro is inadvertently saying white people look the same.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Laranzu posted:

In what universe does getting shot in the head not count as "being targeted" or "coming under fire?":psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Troll Bridgington posted:

Tell him he's a racist who thinks all white people look the same.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

The best response to this would be to play to the weird pathetic pseudo-macho attitude that all gun fetishists seem to have and point out that if you can't bring your target down within 10 shots you probably don't deserve to own a gun at all. One of my dad's super conservative ex-Vietnam drinking buddies who I talk to occasionally, for example, brags about his marksmanship abilities all the time and seems to believe that the only people who shouldn't be allowed to own guns are those who can't hit the goddamn target.

Ex-Gen. Stanley McChrystal endorsed gun control measures yesterday too, might play well with the military worship among these kinda people. Or they'll call him a traitor and lube up their guns while singing them lullabies one more time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evan Montegarde posted:

Ex-Gen. Stanley McChrystal endorsed gun control measures yesterday too, might play well with the military worship among these kinda people. Or they'll call him a traitor and lube up their guns while singing them lullabies one more time.

I think the latter would happen, he'll just be ostracized as giving into pressure or that he is a traitor to Patriotism and gun nuts will carry on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evan Montegarde posted:

He is a General in name only.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

He is a General in name only.

Yes, thus the "Ex-" preceding it that I posted :confused:

Dude went down for talking poo poo about the Obama Administration too so maybe right-wingers would be more sympathetic to what he has to say? Ah, who am I kidding.

vv ah, gotcha, went right over my head. I guess GINO can be a thing now though!

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 9, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evan Montegarde posted:

Yes, thus the "Ex-" preceding it that I posted :confused:

Dude went down for talking poo poo about the Obama Administration too so maybe right-wingers would be more sympathetic to what he has to say? Ah, who am I kidding.

I was joking about how when a Republican says something they disagree with they claim that they are a Republican in name only. I spend way to much time in the Freep thread.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Sounds like a opportunity to link him to the Reagan editorial where he supported the Brady Bill.

Troll Bridgington posted:

The first time I saw this, I thought it was supposed to be a joke; making fun of the conspiracy macro in the bottom left of the image. Has it been adopted as a serious part of the "Obama conspiracy"?

downout posted:

Facebook's found this gem:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200197848930023

The comments it's brought out of the woodwork are wonderful! Such insightful comments as: "Obama care at it's finest!".

Maybe if Obamacare had existed 18 years ago, she would have had access to free birth control to prevent getting in the situation in the first place. Also, this sort of exemplifies the whole "care about kids until they leave the womb" issue. I mean, would they prefer she had all those kids as God intended, or not? Plus the media in this case is exploiting a family in a terrible situation to paint a picture about people on government assistance that is grossly inaccurate. And then there's the issue that she clearly feels like her life is out of control and needs help; this isn't a case of "I'm so smart getting the government to take care of me while I sit around doing what I want!" :smug:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
My cousin posted this:

I don't even know where to start.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Evan Montegarde posted:

The right loved him when he got fired for disagreeing with Obama over the acceptable dead Afghan child quota.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just found this on my facebook page http://www.nagr.org/obamasaysbanguns.aspx?pid=fb9. The kid who posted it used to be a hippy they he became a huge Ron Paul fan.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

My cousin posted this:

My wife is a "stay at home mom" to three kids, has never had an abortion, and is strongly Pro-Choice. So clearly there's something more to the Pro-Choice movement than just "don't want to be responsible for a kid". Also, there's a certain level (a high one, you might say) of "war on men" going on here. "Wah-wah, why do women get to avoid the punishments responsibilities of irresponsible sex, but I don't?"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Just found this on my facebook page http://www.nagr.org/obamasaysbanguns.aspx?pid=fb9. The kid who posted it used to be a hippy they he became a huge Ron Paul fan.

Supreme Court already ruled that such a ban would be Unconstitutional. So case closed; way to be four years too late.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Armyman25 posted:

My cousin posted this:

Hmm. I wonder if there is any sort of difference between not paying child support and aborting a fetus. Like some sort of qualitative change that happens to change one situation into the other. I wonder.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sarion posted:

Supreme Court already ruled that such a ban would be Unconstitutional. So case closed; way to be four years too late.

No it is saying that they want to fight any change to the gun laws

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Sarion posted:

Sounds like a opportunity to link him to the Reagan editorial where he supported the Brady Bill.

The first time I saw this, I thought it was supposed to be a joke; making fun of the conspiracy macro in the bottom left of the image. Has it been adopted as a serious part of the "Obama conspiracy

I'm assuming so, as he's been quite vocal with his pro-gun stances lately.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I'm almost certain an iteration of this has been brought up before - this is a new iteration in Newspaper format with "Jan 2013" on it...

This loving thing...

Are there any decent responses to it?

I don't care if my own dad "unfriends" me over this. I've got to point out that some the "Jeremy Kyle Scroungers" in that article refer to me, his own mother, his mother-in-law, his sister, his brother, his sister-in-law, his brother-in-law... and him. Some stats and numbers for the others would be great to pad it out with too.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

KayTee posted:

I'm almost certain an iteration of this has been brought up before - this is a new iteration in Newspaper format with "Jan 2013" on it...

This loving thing...

Are there any decent responses to it?

I don't care if my own dad "unfriends" me over this. I've got to point out that some the "Jeremy Kyle Scroungers" in that article refer to me, his own mother, his mother-in-law, his sister, his brother, his sister-in-law, his brother-in-law... and him. Some stats and numbers for the others would be great to pad it out with too.

If they're his dependents, he should have social services called on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The claim to be supporting 2.1 million illegal immigrants is particularly weird. "Nobody really knows how many "irregular migrants" there are in the UK, but one recent estimate by the London School of Economics put it at 618,000 - within a range of 417,000 to 863,000" ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/parties_and_issues/8629354.stm ). If they actually received our tax money it would be easier to count them all.