Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
my book and editor recommendations were for java not js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh also i got an sql book b/c i need to work on our time clock system some this spring and need to kind of brush up

in hindsight i should have gotten a book that covers nosql for futureproofing but whatever, i'll deal

sandisky: recognized

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

theres no books on nosql cause theres around a billion implementations of document based or key/value stores and they all have their own unique quirks.

good nosql:
riak
jetdb
memcache
berkleydb
MongoDB

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nosql was invented by lotus for use in notes/domino

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
it's called nosql bcuz when somebdy uses it you can slap them and say 'no! sql.' and then point them to a good db

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yes shaggar, thank you for reminding us

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

please describe a real world scenario where you actually need to do this

comparing strings, in case they happen to contain digits

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you know drat well php fucks it up the exact same way
PHP code:
<?php var_dump("22260945901126450000000" == "22260945901126450000001") ?>
bool(true)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

Personal Home Page

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

polpotpi posted:

theres no books on nosql cause theres around a billion implementations of document based or key/value stores and they all have their own unique quirks.

good nosql:
riak
jetdb
memcache
berkleydb
MongoDB

riak is poo poo if you want to query, just use postgres
jetdb is microsoft poo poo from the late '80s, use postgres
memcache is a cache not a db, fix your postgres queries
berkleydb is poo poo if you want to use a network, use postgres
mongo is unreliable trash that's hard to query, use postgres

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
use hstore in postgres, be double web scale

http://blog.creapptives.com/post/14062057061/the-key-value-store-everyone-ignored-postgresql

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've always thought Postgres looked pretty cool, but everybody uses Mysql instead. Am I the crazy one?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

or use mongo has a storage engine for postgres

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

I've always thought Postgres looked pretty cool, but everybody uses Mysql instead. Am I the crazy one?

mysql is the php of databases, inexplicably popular and you can kind of mash it into a working state given enough time but it does a lot of stuff wrong and will actively lie to you

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

or use sql server like a big boy instead of postgres poo poo

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

prefect posted:

use postgres

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

polpotpi posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

polpotpi posted:

ah yes, like a big boy

*clicks through interactive "wizards" to configure a database*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ugh a wizard??? that's going to configure your database properly!! gently caress that!

here just install this open sores that comes broken out of the box and learn 2 fix it. that's the real way to do it. also don't forget about these 10000 undocumented features that are critical to it working properly.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

here just install this open sores that comes broken out of the box and learn 2 fix it.

that's mysql

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

ugh a wizard??? that's going to configure your database properly!! gently caress that!

here just install this open sores that comes broken out of the box and learn 2 fix it. that's the real way to do it. also don't forget about these 10000 undocumented features that are critical to it working properly.

do you have a few google links that consist of some obscure linux forum, a post requesting help and an angry post from a moderator closing their inquiry because it was posted in the wrong subforum? thats what i really need to get this thing humming

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this was posted on the mailing list 3 years ago, god. just read the loving archives. no search doesn't work. you cant search an archives, idiot.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i read chap1 of my first javabook last night.

keep in mind im coming in from ~8 months of perl and i get OO but havent really built any OO systems yet

looks pretty good. strong types are weird but it's not like im not an intelligent life form

what book did you get

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

no of COURSE you can't do that - but really, why would you want to? give me one good reason why you'd want to. okay, two- three- TEN good reasons why on earth you'd ever want to do that. loving luser

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*closes eyes, long, slow sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Android-Generation-Mobile-Devices/dp/1449316646

*begins typing explanation post even before you reply with the "jonny no"*

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

*closes eyes, long, slow sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Android-Generation-Mobile-Devices/dp/1449316646

*begins typing explanation post even before you reply with the "jonny no"*

ANDROID FOR GENERATION MOBILE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
basically i can keep my boss and the three above him happy if i 'work on getting familiar with android app programming' in 2013 and get my ccna-wireless

this doesnt mean that im going to be writing anger birds for droids, ever, though. i have zero interest in professionally writing android applications. mainly just going to learn java itself and perhaps how to write some utils and scripts to give work value, and i figured hell, picking up some java on android has got to be more engaging than some 1500-page Enterrpise Java For The Java Enterprise, Here's How To Deploy A System Way Larger Than You'll Ever Actually Touch books

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

well as long as all that matters is keeping your owners happy go nuts

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
a guy in the android thread in coc went crazy and had to take a leave of absence to get away from android

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jerry SanDisky posted:

a guy in the android thread in coc went crazy and had to take a leave of absence to get away from android
yea jonny while you're using android as a cheap vehicle to learn java you'll have to be very careful to avoid driving yourself crazy with the device fragmentation issues and the community around an anime video player

this is a realistic threat that is in no way borne of only examining superficials

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

jonny mentioned before that he will only be required to support one particular device which is like the best-case android scenario but I'm sure its still somewhat awful

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

also generating anything in json in perl sucks poo poo unironically

use JSON;

my $dilz = { 'Penis' => 'Vagina' };

my $json = to_json($dilz);

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

speaking of json, the rails update to fix that big security vulnerability broke json parsing

https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/8832

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

"We had to work around this in production just after we deployed 3.2.11."

rails is great

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

EVGA Longoria posted:

use JSON;

my $dilz = { 'Penis' => 'Vagina' };

my $json = to_json($dilz);

that's not the lovely part about it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Cocoa Crispies posted:

comparing strings, in case they happen to contain digits

the code you have quoted is not a real world scenario. it is a snippet that serves no useful purpose and was only written to demonstrate a super-edge case. == is perfectly adequate, and even preferable in most actual cases, when comparing strings

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
try building a huge perl data structure using just arrayrefs and hashrefs to represent a large complex config file, which also needs to be validated, and see how much pain your rear end has

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
with XML::LibXML it's as easy as adding node elements to other node elements and setting they attributes accordingly. i dunno if there is a similar thing with json but i really don't give a gently caress since our config files are in XML format anyway.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

i dunno if there is a similar thing with X but i really don't give a gently caress since Y works anyway.
all programming ever

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tef i remember you talking about baking web security into types, like having explicit type conversions from unsafe strings to safe strings, and etc. did you elaborate on that anywhere? is there particular research you were looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef i remember you talking about baking web security into types, like having explicit type conversions from unsafe strings to safe strings, and etc. did you elaborate on that anywhere? is there particular research you were looking at?

it's basically a long setup to make fun of joel spolsky http://programmingisterrible.com/post/39726288528/hungarian-notation-security-by-anecdote

I didn't mentioned a research language like 'links' by wadler, it embeds xml and linq like features, so in theory you avoid sql injection/xss problems, but the links runtime is very insecure.