Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Superconsndar posted:

DID ANY OF YOU GUYS SEE THIS COMING!?

You shoulda went to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

redmercer posted:

You shoulda went to Europe.

My dog is banned from importation in both the countries we coulda moved to :saddowns:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie has something missing in her "hiding" brain bits. There is just no other explanation for how bad she is at it. If there is anything, no matter how thin or small, interrupting her vision to you she thinks she is hidden and is really shocked or will zoom away if you walk over to where she is. She does the same thing with birds too.

I mean, seriously cat... this is not stealthy.

Also evil cat eyes when I lift up the side of her cat cave where she loves to spend time (normally with a tail or leg sticking out because she can't hide).

Superconsndar posted:

She likes the "lay in a dog bed while I watch TV at night" idea better. It's gonna solve all her problems.

That's going to last until the fist hound (I mean, pureblood white lab!) BAROOOOOOO that comes out of his mouth when he hears something funny on the TV. Yeesh, he's a puppy with no interaction or exercise all day so of course he is going to be a destructive little poo poo in the yard.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

I don't suppose he could be convinced to send Sunny ever so slightly farther south (Washington)? I wanna pony to groom and love and play with and let all the little neighbor children take turns walking in a circle on his back.

He could live in my garage and Neigé could herd him. Fun for everyone!

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I feel like we should have a PI thread for relatives who do pet care badly.

I was worried that my parents were going to do dog care poorly (not sure why) but it turns out that getting a puppy has been awesome for both the puppy and my dad. They ended up with what they think is a Norwegian Elk Hound, but really who knows because my dad just wandered around the animal control shelter until he spotted a puppy that scrambled all over him and ~~lurved~~ him. Then my dad turn around and found a positive reinforcement trainer to do obedience training with with, bought Katmi a bunch of 'thinking' puppy toys, and has actually been going on twice daily walks. My mom says the two of them are basically inseparable.

I'm ... kinda surprised. My dad is a type 2 diabetic with the memory of a gnat so I was kinda worried he'd flake out or something but four months and he's still trucking a long doing dog training and multiple walkies a day. Which is doing awesome things for his diabetes as well as being good for the puppy. So there's one good parent + new puppy story.

He's also figured out the "text picture" function for the iphone and has sent me, like, a million pictures. I should upload them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Citizen Rat posted:

I was worried that my parents were going to do dog care poorly (not sure why) but it turns out that getting a puppy has been awesome for both the puppy and my dad. They ended up with what they think is a Norwegian Elk Hound, but really who knows because my dad just wandered around the animal control shelter until he spotted a puppy that scrambled all over him and ~~lurved~~ him. Then my dad turn around and found a positive reinforcement trainer to do obedience training with with, bought Katmi a bunch of 'thinking' puppy toys, and has actually been going on twice daily walks. My mom says the two of them are basically inseparable.

I'm ... kinda surprised. My dad is a type 2 diabetic with the memory of a gnat so I was kinda worried he'd flake out or something but four months and he's still trucking a long doing dog training and multiple walkies a day. Which is doing awesome things for his diabetes as well as being good for the puppy. So there's one good parent + new puppy story.

He's also figured out the "text picture" function for the iphone and has sent me, like, a million pictures. I should upload them.

Heh, sounds like my mom with my dog.
She came out for Christmas.
Asa got more frequent and longer walks than she has for ages. My mom loves having a dog to walk with. They were doing like 1.5-2 hour hikes, and my loving mother is crawling towards 75 years old! Its awesome for both of them, and one of the reasons I am sad that we moved so far away. I give Asa good exercise and lots of playtimes, but she doesn't get that long of a hike more than once every 2-3 weeks, usually on a weekend.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Greycious posted:

Poor pony, he sounds like he'd be a pretty cute and fun guy if someone took better care of him!

...but next time you need to get a picture of him. :colbert: I wanna see that crazy long mane!

OMG, horse and mane chat!

I saw a horse that probably stars in shampoo commercials.

Icelandic Horse by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Irresponsible dog owner chat all up itt?

Kya still isn't getting enough exercise, but bleh. Her owners still haven't gotten her a dog coat or halti, despite promising to get a coat and being impressed with how nicely she walks on the halti. I try to make sure I do a long walk every day or other day, which I can drag her along on and it's something for her, at least. :sigh:

She and Lola played a little last night, which was awesome and adorable (Lola initiated it :3:), but then Kya bowled Lola over with her flaily paws and my dog screamed and ran away.

I really ought to try and teach Kya to fetch, but I'm reluctant to teach her because I don't want to tell her owners she can now fetch and have them scream at her if she decides not to fetch a ball or something.

e:
Lola is an idiot.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 9, 2013

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Sadie has something missing in her "hiding" brain bits. There is just no other explanation for how bad she is at it. If there is anything, no matter how thin or small, interrupting her vision to you she thinks she is hidden and is really shocked or will zoom away if you walk over to where she is. She does the same thing with birds too.

I mean, seriously cat... this is not stealthy.

This is exactly what Sheila does, except that she sits under my mom's wheelchair, then starts yapping when anyone looks at her. Sorry Sheila, but you are not stealth incarnate as you so believe.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

On the topic of family members and pet care:

My husband mentioned to me last night that he values his relationship with our Chihuahua less now that she's "better behaved". Before he and I were living together he was the center of this dog's world, and she'd perpetually be laying on his lap, begging him to play or be walked - they were inseparable. Now that she's given multiple walks a day, is played with regularly and mostly sleeps in her bed by the heater (I don't let her sit on my lap, so she's been heavily reinforced for staying in her bed) he says he feels like he values dog ownership less since he's more removed from it and doesn't miss it much.

I just thought it was funny that in his mind it's the Chihuahua's "better behaviour" which contributed to him feeling this way. To top it off, I've not bonded with her either which doesn't really help. His views of dog ownership are so alien to me it boggles my mind sometimes (and he boggles at me at the same time). I thought whipping the dog into shape would help. :sigh:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

On the topic of family members and pet care:

My husband mentioned to me last night that he values his relationship with our Chihuahua less now that she's "better behaved". Before he and I were living together he was the center of this dog's world, and she'd perpetually be laying on his lap, begging him to play or be walked - they were inseparable. Now that she's given multiple walks a day, is played with regularly and mostly sleeps in her bed by the heater (I don't let her sit on my lap, so she's been heavily reinforced for staying in her bed) he says he feels like he values dog ownership less since he's more removed from it and doesn't miss it much.

I just thought it was funny that in his mind it's the Chihuahua's "better behaviour" which contributed to him feeling this way. To top it off, I've not bonded with her either which doesn't really help. His views of dog ownership are so alien to me it boggles my mind sometimes (and he boggles at me at the same time). I thought whipping the dog into shape would help. :sigh:

Maybe she just feels like a different dog to him? Does he do a lot of the training and walks with her, or is that mostly your thing? I feel, a lot of the time, what makes Bailey such an interesting/ endearing companion is the fact that he's a little rear end in a top hat and that I can teach him things. If I had someone else do all the teaching, I don't feel like I'd be as close with him.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

wtftastic posted:

Maybe she just feels like a different dog to him? Does he do a lot of the training and walks with her, or is that mostly your thing? I feel, a lot of the time, what makes Bailey such an interesting/ endearing companion is the fact that he's a little rear end in a top hat and that I can teach him things. If I had someone else do all the teaching, I don't feel like I'd be as close with him.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel that in order for us to cope with our dogs (who, honestly, are assholes most of the time!) we need those special moments which make dog ownership worthwhile. For me and Cohen, it's sports/performances/competition and to a lesser extent nice long walks in the woods off leash. If I don't get that my days of picking up her poop, walking her at the crack of dawn and dealing with her incessant barking feel awfully long and my temper gets pretty short with her. With my husband, his quality time was lap time. As of late I've been trying not to infringe too much on the dog chilling on his lap but the nature of our day to day life doesn't allow much chill out time these days. He admits that she's much better cared for these days, but she likely does feel like a different dog to him. He's not interested in walking her regularly or training at all.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

I don't let her sit on my lap

You are missing out on the best part of small dog ownership, lady. :colbert:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

He's not interested in walking her regularly or training at all.
Can you think of a way to get him interested? I got my partner to start SAR training with Pi. He'd been volunteering in search and rescue (sans dog) for ages, but hadn't been active in a while. I thought getting him to come with me and train Pi might pique his interest because of his prior interest in SAR stuff. They've trained together for a year now and it's improved his relationship with Pi a lot. He's also learned a big bunch of training skills, which also help.

Also what Fraction said.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I think we may have spoiled Zoso. He wont get into bed until I offer to tuck him in. :3:

We've been trying to get him more comfortable with the roomba, and he'll take treats off of it. When I put his toy on it he gets all concerned and chases the roomba until he can get his toy back. Then he goes back to ignoring it because he doesn't really care for toys.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

You are missing out on the best part of small dog ownership, lady. :colbert:

Naw, totally not my thing. I don't like feeling impeded in my movement. Call it a personal quirk.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

a life less posted:

Naw, totally not my thing. I don't like feeling impeded in my movement. Call it a personal quirk.

Woo not liking snuggle dogs. :hf:

The Schnauzers I help care for just want to be ON me. I don't like dogs on me, so I kick them off and then they get all mopey. Too bad for them that it doesn't work on me. Koji's idea of snuggling is curling up on the floor in front of you while you are on the couch. It's awesome.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

Maybe it's just because I live in a cold house and am used to piling blankets on me (which Lola automatically buries under). If I lived in a warmer place maybe I wouldn't like it either V:shobon:V

As it is, snuggly dog best dog. She's like a cuddlier hot water bottle.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We're a split house about that. Husband doesn't want the dogs on top of him ever, meanwhile I frequently use Amy as a blanket. A very pointy blanket because goddamn dog elbows.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My boyfriend prefers lazy dogs he can snuggle whenever he wants, and I like an exercise partner that I can train a bunch. This actually works out really well because I used to go running with Corbin and training while he's at work and when he comes home, Corbin would be sprawled out on the floor. Well, he was usually sprawled out on the floor, but it was nice he still wanted to go on runs with me. :3:

Generally speaking we both prefer a low-key dog inside with lots of energy when running/walking/exploring or during training. I think that's pretty cool that we agree on that.

Meanwhile, the rest of my family firmly believes that all non-Chihuahua or Pomeranian are OUTSIDE dogs and leave them untrained and unsocialized (but at least they get them fixed).

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I routinely wake up on winter mornings with both dogs and all the cats snuggled hard up against/on me and even though it takes about twenty minutes to untwist my pretzeled body I look forward to it every day. Summer sucks because no one wants to cuddle me then. Do they have Internet access in Antarctica?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Moses likes my fiancee better than me because 1.) She works from home and is home all day AND 2.) doesn't enforce any rules and lets him do whatever he wants. So now I'm the ~mean~ one. >:[

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

a life less posted:

I don't like dogs all over me either, but for some reason I don't mind the cats laying on me. I think it's because I feel less bad flinging them off when I want to move.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Superconsndar posted:

Moses likes my fiancee better than me because 1.) She works from home and is home all day AND 2.) doesn't enforce any rules and lets him do whatever he wants. So now I'm the ~mean~ one. >:[

That's how Asa is with me, except I'm home all day but I enforce rules ;) I'm so evil.
And don't get me started with my mother...who calls Asa "The Granddog"...yeah. Spoils her loving rotten, so shes the best person in the universe hahah.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Siochain posted:

That's how Asa is with me, except I'm home all day but I enforce rules ;) I'm so evil.
And don't get me started with my mother...who calls Asa "The Granddog"...yeah. Spoils her loving rotten, so shes the best person in the universe hahah.

Haha, my mom calls my brother and his fiances dog her 'grandpuppy.' Luckily for them they live across the country otherwise she'd spoil the poo poo out of their dog. V:shobon:V

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Topoisomerase posted:

I don't like dogs all over me either, but for some reason I don't mind the cats laying on me. I think it's because I feel less bad flinging them off when I want to move.

Dogs look so crestfallen when you push them off. Cats just come right back but use claws to anchor themselves the second time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Siochain posted:

My mom does the exact same thing. She babysat him for a few weeks last year and thought he looked chilly on his walks so she got busy with the knitting needles. This was the result.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Ikantski posted:

My mom does the exact same thing. She babysat him for a few weeks last year and thought he looked chilly on his walks so she got busy with the knitting needles. This was the result.

...Does she have a pattern for that? It looks pretty easy.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Ikantski posted:

Love your mom. That is so cute.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Topoisomerase posted:

"Shifty Pony posted:

Dogs look so crestfallen when you push them off. Cats just come right back but use claws to anchor themselves the second time.

Archie loves sleeping on my lap and I love letting him. But I have restless legs and he DOES NOT appreciate when I have to just have to move/get up/etc. I swear he just starts holding on tighter until it reaches critical mass. Then I just stand up and to hell with him. He pouts as only a cat can until the next time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I can take getting stomped all over by a dane but the cats get kicked off and thrown in a room alone when their claws cone out.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
A life less when did you get married? Sort of recently right? Congratulations!!! (Even if I'm really late).

On the recent topic of "I'm not ready for a dog/another puppy", look what my rescue just popped up with:

He's happy, well-trained and getting old, my favorite kind of dog :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

InEscape posted:

A life less when did you get married? Sort of recently right? Congratulations!!! (Even if I'm really late).

Yep! Early November! Thanks a bunch!

And cute pup! Drop ears on a Corgi are hilarious.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I can take getting stomped all over by a dane but the cats get kicked off and thrown in a room alone when their claws cone out.

I'm just saying that tossing a cat off a lap is like throwing a boomerang: it is going to come right back and will hurt if you aren't paying attention.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

When Frankie wants water and hasn't got any in his bowl, he asks for it by standing next to either the bathtub or kitchen sink and making weird little Frankie sounds until someone notices. Sometimes he gives false alarms when he just wants attention and everyone is ignoring him.

Today, he was telling lies about needing water (his bowl was full) and wouldn't stop quacking like a duck and bubbling and burbling and sneezing while scratching at the bathtub because he wanted me to pick him up and I wouldn't.

I kept telling him to shut up and he started quacking at ME instead so I just picked him up and plopped him in the bathtub and walked off.

He went silent and started drooping slowly and stood frozen in the tub for like, half an hour before he realized he was not being bathed and figured out that he could jump out and there was no one there to stop him. We had forgotten him by then, and moved on with our lives, but he now will not stop ricocheting around the house because he wants us to know that he escaped the bathtub and there is nothing we can do about it.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

When I win the lottery one of my first acts will be to clone Frankie. I feel we could learn so much from a litter of Frankies, and conduct so many experiments.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

When Frankie wants water and hasn't got any in his bowl, he asks for it by standing next to either the bathtub or kitchen sink and making weird little Frankie sounds until someone notices. Sometimes he gives false alarms when he just wants attention and everyone is ignoring him.

Today, he was telling lies about needing water (his bowl was full) and wouldn't stop quacking like a duck and bubbling and burbling and sneezing while scratching at the bathtub because he wanted me to pick him up and I wouldn't.

I kept telling him to shut up and he started quacking at ME instead so I just picked him up and plopped him in the bathtub and walked off.

He went silent and started drooping slowly and stood frozen in the tub for like, half an hour before he realized he was not being bathed and figured out that he could jump out and there was no one there to stop him. We had forgotten him by then, and moved on with our lives, but he now will not stop ricocheting around the house because he wants us to know that he escaped the bathtub and there is nothing we can do about it.

I love Frankie so much.
Never quit being you Frankie.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I let the dogs lay on me if they stay below my waist, and if my lap is not occupied by anything else (i.e. laptop). Doesn't stop Max from plopping his head down on my keyboard wanting pets. In bed I don't care if they curl up on/around my legs but I draw the line at laying across my back/chest/head (PISTOL :argh:). Snuggling next to me with their head on my shoulder is also acceptable.

There have been afternoons where my lap has been occupied by both a sleeping fiance and a sleeping dog at the same time, pinning me to the couch for hours on end.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Angus ate my pumice stone tonight. For punishment I put him in a sweater with penguins on it. He's flopped over on the rug pretending he can't move and chewing a rubber ball like it's a pacifier while whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

SuperTwo posted:

Angus ate my pumice stone tonight. For punishment I put him in a sweater with penguins on it. He's flopped over on the rug pretending he can't move and chewing a rubber ball like it's a pacifier while whining.

And you're coming here without pictures? Don't make me put a penguin sweater on you.

• Locked thread