Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

You guys who want to do VoA progression should go do the first two quests in Shard's Landing, the second one gets your Alaran to 100, so you don't have to do the voa tasks in order and can skip some stupid ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

MrTheDevious posted:

I would actually bigtime be down for this since a lot of why I don't play much anymore is that it's a pain in the rear end to box 4 characters. All 4 of mine are 91 with fully complete HoT progression and zero VoA prog, so we're at the perfect spot to meet up. Kodaji can tank no problem, I'll leave my bard out since you have yours...what's Funzoe? If he's deeps I'll bring the shammy, otherwise I'll bring the monk and we can fill out the last 2 with cleric/dps mercs for trash and double clerics for nameds.

Always down to run Anguish and such on Test. We can pretty much /afk through it as much as we want since Kodaji can autoattack solo 90% of it. You Luclin kids should really at least hop over and have a look. No way I'm ever paying to play again and 85+ at Silver levels is just impossible. The pop was fine even back when I quit, plus sounds like more and more people are heading back over! I can't imagine really why anyone would care to go back to Luclin or wherever unless you wanted to raid someday. I think that's about all that you can't do on Test for free faster.

Funzoe is a rogue so we'd be perfect.

Although...

jetz0r posted:

You guys who want to do VoA progression should go do the first two quests in Shard's Landing, the second one gets your Alaran to 100, so you don't have to do the voa tasks in order and can skip some stupid ones.

...holy crap. I might do this as long as it's easy. But I guess we can do whatever really, I just want to do some of the progression poo poo as I've essentially just ignored all the expansions besides SoD since coming back.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I will be doing some CoA on Test very soon, although I'll be greedy and snatch the first two orbs for myself. Then we can either try to continue through the raid or just do it again next week. I am:

Zliz, 96 monk
Orakul, 95 shammy
Ranzl, 85 ranger
Wizl, 85 wizard

RCarr posted:

All of my characters are on Test

Mileye: 85 Monk
Carrex: 85 Chanter
Hahnah: 75 Mage
Cheney: 73 SK
Barracka: 73 Shaman
Random Alts: 45-71

Honestly I cannot play this game for more than 30 minutes at a time anymore. I get the itch to play and I get all excited! Then I log on and am bored out of my mind. I can't even grind through a Lesson anymore without being so bored I just /q. I'd love to do something with actual people instead of grinding myself to sleep with my box crew and mercs.
You're too low now, but something that kept me entertained for a good while simply progressing through House of Thule content. I did every quest and every mission with box crew, and made it through the first two tiers. Plenty of challenge, new content, missions are fun (mixing grinding with questing), and a bit of useful loot here and there, mostly in the form of augs. If you're doing a 3-4 man box crew you can slowly being at lvl 85 with the Feerrott quests and missions. The XP is quite frankly amazing from the high level mobs in the later zones, you won't be missing any previous AA grind spots at all. For example, the Fall of the Tae Ew mission is a really good one to burn a Lesson, as you barely have to move around, just pull to a fixed camp, and the mobs are fairly easy.

I'm levelling up two boxes atm and taking them through the HoT missions, and then I will continue with T3 HoT stuff. I hope I can muster finishing up HoT entirely, then start doing VoA progression.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 8, 2013

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So the game is good enough to have four accounts on it, but not good enough to pay for?

I restarted the game when it went f2p with my level 68 bard. It's level 100 now, and I'm doing some higher end raiding. Finding groups wasn't too hard in the higher levels. If you want to box, it's easiest to just have one alternate account at the most and use mercenaries, and maybe fill in the empty slots with random people who are lfg, so you can eventually meet other players worth grouping with again.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

ponzicar posted:

So the game is good enough to have four accounts on it, but not good enough to pay for?

Well the whole point of 4 boxing is being able to form an entire group to do whatever by yourself, so being able to do it free twice as fast instead of paying $60 for it when you don't want to raid is kinda a no-brainer :shrug:

Funzoe as rogue is perfect! I can drag the Shaman around for buffs, then drop her for a merc after. I'm 150% behind getting Alaran to 100 the easy way, then doing whatever we find fun on the way to 95+ and starting RoF stuff. I'm sure as hell not attached to doing all of it in order or anything, it's just fun to do prog missions with other people instead of grinding alone. Especially since it means I can SK/monk duo, which are the two I actually like playing.

HoThule progression was VERY VERY fun and I highly encourage box groups 85-90 to do it. Zliz, if you want to bypass any of the boring solo poo poo, I can request *almost* everything group for you aside from one mission in the Well and one of the last ones because my Well glitched and Flare got someone to skip us ahead to that Thule Nightmare one. I'll do pretty much whatev HoT you want since we're both on Test now and some of them are REALLY fun (Library missions). HoT's worth finishing if only because SS is fantastic AA vs effort (trash died to my 4box in all of 15 sec and even the named only hit for 9-10kish) and has some really nice aug drops (The damage one in particular, though we can gimp your boxes in for it I guess if they need em). I was pulling 2-3 at a time at 91 and vaporizing them for about an AA/pull while keeping a third of the zone's named cleared by the end. It's just fantastic for 90ish grinding when you can't swarm Kaesora yet :( Also, those Library missions are about as much fun as I've had in EQ when it comes to group-centric pulling/tanking/non-bullshit levels of challenge.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ponzicar posted:

I restarted the game when it went f2p with my level 68 bard. It's level 100 now, and I'm doing some higher end raiding. Finding groups wasn't too hard in the higher levels. If you want to box, it's easiest to just have one alternate account at the most and use mercenaries, and maybe fill in the empty slots with random people who are lfg, so you can eventually meet other players worth grouping with again.

This is how I feel about it, two accounts with mercs lets me do or not do just about anything. And I can get actual groups for anything relevant instead of having to solo boring old poo poo.

HoT progression was pretty fun and the missions were good risk vs reward. I still miss doing them and I was doing something like 25-40 missions a week while HoT was current.

VoA wasn't nearly as much fun for me, partially because of how the quests were language locked so your group HAD to do everything together or someone wouldn't be able to get the next quest in the line. The named/bosses in VoA also got a LOT harder, making them difficult for me to box.

RoF is between those two, the early progression is easy enough. (The first Shards quests don't even require kills) and most of the group missions aren't too hard. But some of them are really hard for groups of 6 RoI players. You also get a TON of exp for doing RoF progression. Finishing Shard's gives you something like 60% of a level, 40aa, plus the exp from killing things.

Gyrospires are good swarming between lower stuff and Kaesora. Can flip instances that stay LB to 95 and there's a clickie port to take you there. Something like 200-250 mobs per an instance, I'd split them into two pulls to keep the zone from making GBS threads itself.

UF and early HoT are going to be the last of the swarming zones, VoA's hp increase was just too much to really passively kill

depraved
Aug 13, 2004

Killing for peace...
No telling how soon until I get bored, but for now I'm kicking around on my Cleric.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Most of us don't have multiple accounts because we love the game so much we want more characters, we just want to be able to take the few hours we play a week and get rolling with our exp or progression in the little time we do have to play. Yes, you can roll with just one or two accounts, find a steady group or guild to play with, and the game is great to play like that, but that takes a time investment that is greater than a lot of folks want to put in to the game outside of the content itself. I generally play in two hours chunks or so about twice a week if that, and I'd personally rather not take the time to improv my group with strangers of variable strengths when I can just jump straight in and start fighting.

If going in and developing the more social aspects of the game appeals to you, more power to you for playing that way. I've done it, I've enjoyed it, but it doesn't work for me right now, so I like having my alternate accounts at the ready. Paying $15 per account per month is more than the game is really worth at this point, especially when I myself am using only a small percentage of my allotted time. With the marketplace items around, $15 for even one account is hard to justify, and I know I wouldn't spend any money in the marketplace were it not for the free station cash I received each month on one account when I was on the live servers.

If gold status was removed from test though, I'd either quit entirely or just go back to boxing my silver characters with my gold character.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm with cycomatix. If you want to play the game in the sort of "classic" style where you generally focus on one character, group with other humans etc, then go for it, but that's not necessarily any easier than it used to be. Ten years ago, it was much smaller world, crowded servers, terrible class balance. Today, the problems are low population, mercs (good & bad), and a disproportionate percentage of players in the high-end game. Either way, you waste too much time hopelessly LFG when you want to be progressing, and that is not fun. I do not know of any other gaming genre where sizable stretches of doing gently caress all is a normal and accepted part of gameplay.

The only joy I get from the game is trying new classes. The end-game doesn't really interest me, and I probably wouldn't pay for Gold even with one account because, a large portion of the year, I work 70+ hours per week and never have any time to play, so I couldn't justify the expense with one account, and certainly not with 4. Having characters on the same account is kind of odd to me anyway, because it basically means that all characters on an account are alter-egos that can't interact in thet game world in any meaningful way. If I want to take all 4 of my dudes to Lake Rathe, plop them down in the Arena, and have them slap each other around, I like to be able to do that.

I still think that Sony could do well introducing a $5 per month Gold subscription fee for individual characters to appeal to the multi-boxers out there, and I am a little surprised that you cannot simply unlock J-level mercenaries and Prestige augs in the online store like you can with Rank 2 spells and additional merc slots. End of the day, it all comes down to money, and Sony doesn't give a cracked iron quid how much fun people have or how compelling the content is so long as the numbers add up.

Hooray capitalism. :suicide:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

JustJeff88 posted:

If I felt that the server population/level of activity was stable and the rest of the Luclin goon guild moved with me, I would consider it, but I am dubious about the former and highly doubt that latter.

I might consider it, but my issue is eventually everyone is going to do it and then Sony is going to address it somehow. Once that happens there goes any work you put in on Test. That's my worry.

I'm
Lasombr (SK)
Nosferaj (Shaman)
Nephandi (Mage)
Horkos (Nec) - Never log him in anymore
Sombra (Ranger) - Never log him in anymore

all on Luclin currently.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

I might consider it, but my issue is eventually everyone is going to do it and then Sony is going to address it somehow. Once that happens there goes any work you put in on Test. That's my worry.

That is one of my worries as well, and a fully justified one to my mind. If they said to all the Test people "Okay, we're drastically changing this/shutting it down, but we will let you move all of your characters to other, standard servers for free", then that would be fine and we could come back to Luclin or set up a Goon presence on another server. Sadly, I do not have faith in any for-profit company to have that kind of common decency.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

JustJeff88 posted:

That is one of my worries as well, and a fully justified one to my mind. If they said to all the Test people "Okay, we're drastically changing this/shutting it down, but we will let you move all of your characters to other, standard servers for free", then that would be fine and we could come back to Luclin or set up a Goon presence on another server. Sadly, I do not have faith in any for-profit company to have that kind of common decency.

Didn't they already do that a few years back?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If that is how you guys want to play the game, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just saying that that's not the only way to play, and that you can find groups and get ahead quite easily playing more traditionally. The four accounts being played at once scenario seems to be a strange middle ground between casual and hardcore playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOE does crack down on the free gold status on the test server though. Money and player advantages are the only two things they react quickly to, and rarely in a good way.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Medullah posted:

Didn't they already do that a few years back?

They allowed paid transfers off of Test for a period of time I believe last year (I think it corresponded with the move to FTP.) Additionally sometime in classic or maybe kunkar/velious they wiped the entire test server. A lot of people were upset (because people had test as their main server even back then), so they restored the characters (minus the equipment.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone ever had any luck getting an account unbanned? I think I asked this before, but I decided to try my luck with it. I had two accounts, and after I quit back in 2003ish someone got ahold of one of them and got it banned for exploiting.

I got to the point now where I have the account back, but I'm being asked to fill out a "Unban petition" form. Was wondering what the chances are?

As I said earlier in the thread, the account isn't anything spectacular that can't be redone in a week, but I want to have some nostalgia dammit!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Anyone ever had any luck getting an account unbanned? I think I asked this before, but I decided to try my luck with it. I had two accounts, and after I quit back in 2003ish someone got ahold of one of them and got it banned for exploiting.

I got to the point now where I have the account back, but I'm being asked to fill out a "Unban petition" form. Was wondering what the chances are?

As I said earlier in the thread, the account isn't anything spectacular that can't be redone in a week, but I want to have some nostalgia dammit!

I got banned for MQ exploiting back in like, 2006. In 2010 I wanted to dick around a bit so I basically sent an extremely short email to their unban team saying "I did a bad thing. I acknowledge this was outside of EULA. I'd appreciate the opportunity to play with this account again and will abide be the EULA, thanks for your consideration" and I got it unbanned on a 'last-chance' basis. Haven't done anything dumb since and I still use the account regularly.

As long as you own up and explain how you won't act to the manner that got the account banned previously, they are pretty lenient because SOE likes money.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Vomik posted:

They allowed paid transfers off of Test for a period of time I believe last year (I think it corresponded with the move to FTP.) Additionally sometime in classic or maybe kunkar/velious they wiped the entire test server. A lot of people were upset (because people had test as their main server even back then), so they restored the characters (minus the equipment.)

This did not happen. They let us freely transfer off to a live server the one time Test changed at all and have NEVER wiped the server of higher than level 10 characters. If they change the Test status, they'll let us transfer again due to the large Test pop that would vanish overnight otherwise. The "paid" transfer came after me and a few others missed the free period and raised hell, that's it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

This did not happen. They let us freely transfer off to a live server the one time Test changed at all and have NEVER wiped the server of higher than level 10 characters. If they change the Test status, they'll let us transfer again due to the large Test pop that would vanish overnight otherwise. The "paid" transfer came after me and a few others missed the free period and raised hell, that's it.

Yeah, you got off, I never did. loving butthead devs.

Anyway, I still have an active account on Test, just kitted myself out with full VoA T1 visible and 1h and 2h for almost no money.

Solotiv - 90/2500SK
Mahssive - 85SHM

The SHM is a Luclin copy, the SK is trapped on Test forever and ever.

I do the same log on, sit around for a little while, log off thing too. Once a week or so I get motivated enough to burn a lesson.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Yeah, you got off, I never did. loving butthead devs.

Anyway, I still have an active account on Test, just kitted myself out with full VoA T1 visible and 1h and 2h for almost no money.

Solotiv - 90/2500SK
Mahssive - 85SHM

The SHM is a Luclin copy, the SK is trapped on Test forever and ever.

I do the same log on, sit around for a little while, log off thing too. Once a week or so I get motivated enough to burn a lesson.

kodaji is full T4 geared and pretty much invincible thanks to Hell yeah Solo! Great to see you working your way through the content :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone have any good advice about AA advancement for wizards? I just had a very productive night and my wizard now has around 550 or so AA. I have maxed the basic crit damage/crit % AA for my level, and I have also maxed out most of the conservation AA like Gift of Mana, Imp. Familiar, and so on. I finished maxing out Innate Enlightenment before I logged a bit ago, so I am either going to start pounding Planar Power for more mana pool (I am at level 5/20) or start dumping points into Subtlety so that, when I do group, I don't get aggro from using tiny little nukes all the time.

I feel at this stage of character development I should opt for AA that improve my little frog overall, rather than situational AA with long cooldowns like Mana Burn (I bought Mana Burn, as in the very first level, a while back, but stopped there for now) and Destructive Fury. Those activated abilities with long cooldowns are really only useful in specific circumstances like raids, and as I do not raid I feel little need to work on them.

Some of the AA description text can be misleading and I have found some hidden gems in the past thanks to this thread, so if anyone has any advice I would like to hear it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I asked once in general chat and just got the expected reply - Crit, familiar, the Spell Casting XXX AAs, mana regen/conservation. I think Wizard AAs are just really simple, and the majority of them are activated, which aren't really suitable for my box setup; I always prefer passive as well. One guy did say to buy the Pyromancy AA, a 15-min cooldown AA that makes your fire spells apply a DoT.

One gem I discovered the other day is the Group Perfected Invisibility AA, which gives your group permanent, never-fail invis.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Actually they did wipe the test server in 2000 about a year after launch IIRC. If you google it you'll find some mentions, but obviously that was 12 years ago so I don't think it's an indicator that they will wipe it again soon. And, like I said, they ended up restoring people's characters (minus equipment.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

Actually they did wipe the test server in 2000 about a year after launch IIRC. If you google it you'll find some mentions, but obviously that was 12 years ago so I don't think it's an indicator that they will wipe it again soon. And, like I said, they ended up restoring people's characters (minus equipment.)

I realise that it's rather silly to try and look for precedent in a situation like this, but I still feel that the paranoia, if I can call it that, about changes to Test is understandable. A lot of people (many with multiple accounts) are going to Test because it is free Gold-level access and, while Silver people like me spend a few dollars here and there in the in-game store, the real money comes from subscriptions. Test doesn't make these guys any money; people get to play there for free and keeping the server running and staffed costs money, and that's what it's all about. I can see Sony saying "Look, we'll move you to standard servers for free, but if you want to stay at Gold-level, then you'll have to start paying up $15 per month per account." Are they going to get a lot of people who just up and quit? You bet! But some people will start paying the piper for all or some of their multiple accounts, thus revenue goes up. There is no way to say this without sounding horridly cynical (which is fine, because I am), but when it comes to any company (the bigger they are, the worse it is) I always suspect them to act in whatever way will produce more revenue and the overall happiness of the customer base be damned. Having legions of loyal, happy, engaged fans means gently caress all if you don't rake in the dosh.

My venom aside, let's be honest: This game wouldn't still exist if it weren't still making money, and if they find that they need to increase subscription income to keep the servers up, they will have no choice but to cut unprofitable elements (like Test).

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Honestly, if sony tweaked their free to play model so that gold status gave perks or convenience, instead of being a necessity in the late game, there would be a hell of a lot less reason to play on test. Auto-granting some of those AA's like the devs were talking about would be a good start in that direction, since then I wouldn't need several hundred of my allotted 1000 aa's to spend on combat agility and stability. Letting us buy a flag for characters to gain prestige gear like the rank 2 spells would also help. Shutting down test the way it is now is just going to lose a lot of potential microtransaction bucks I think, because a good chunk of players will just quit. Sure, some players might pony up a subscription fee and transfer back to live, but speaking for myself, if I were to do that, I'd probably only come back every other year or so, rather than continuously playing.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Speaking of test and gold, they're popping a patch on Test (or maybe live too??) where you can buy what they call Kronos in the station store for 30 days of gold sub time. They're apparently sellable and tradeable also, so I guess they realized cutting off subs for station cash was a horrible idea finally. :v:

Also plat restrictions are gone from Free/Silver accounts. That is more confusing to me.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 9, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

cycomatix posted:

Honestly, if sony tweaked their free to play model so that gold status gave perks or convenience, instead of being a necessity in the late game, there would be a hell of a lot less reason to play on test. Auto-granting some of those AA's like the devs were talking about would be a good start in that direction, since then I wouldn't need several hundred of my allotted 1000 aa's to spend on combat agility and stability. Letting us buy a flag for characters to gain prestige gear like the rank 2 spells would also help. Shutting down test the way it is now is just going to lose a lot of potential microtransaction bucks I think, because a good chunk of players will just quit. Sure, some players might pony up a subscription fee and transfer back to live, but speaking for myself, if I were to do that, I'd probably only come back every other year or so, rather than continuously playing.

Good points all. I will mention again my $5 per character gold sub fee (with a minimum of 3 characters, even, would be fine with me). They have talked about auto-granting AA, and I think in some cases that should be done. I would say that all true tanks - warrior, paladin, SK - should get CA and CS automatically at each level up and "light tanks", like rangers and berserker, should get some.

However, what Sony really need to do is this: go back through the AA tables and re-evaluate the cost of each level of each ability. That sounds like a massive undertaking, but numerous abilities are shared between all classes or many classes, and those are usually the most mathematically perplexing abilities that have many, many levels. Too many abilities or levels of abilities have costs that make no sense, especially in light of previous levels of the same ability. This sounds odd, so let me give you an example:

Planar Power is an AA for all classes that raises the non-heroic stat cap for all ability scores by 5 points per level purchased. There are twenty levels each which are purchasable once per character level starting at 61 up until 80. The first 5 levels are 2 points each, which is fine. However, levels 6-20 are 5 points each, despite giving the same reward? Why? This makes no sense to increase the cost of an ability without increasing the benefit. Crit AA for blasters are almost worse: a wizard or mage or whatever can buy a level of Spell Casting Fury Mastery for 6 points, say, that raises crit chance by 1%. The next level gives another 1%, but costs 9 points... WTF?! Then the next level, another 1%, is 12 points. If anything, you end up paying more for less as the relative benefit goes down as the cost goes up. It gets utterly ridiculous and is caused by having 14 or 15 expansions with AA abilities and increasingly higher level caps that just build on top of each other with no regard for balance or logic. I think that the increase in AA gain rate months ago was just a stopgap measure to compensate for the disgusting number of points needed to be viable, rather than addressing the core problem.

This hasn't been addressed because A) it requires work and expense that they don't want to bother with and B) it has become clear to me that having ludicrous amounts of grind is the only way that Sony knows how to engage the player. Making new, interesting, and challenging content takes a lot of time, money, and effort, but just getting people to kill the same infinitely-respawning mobs over and over to make a bar goes up is pretty drat simple. I realise that repetition and "grind" is probably an inescapable part of MMORPG's in general, but I feel that especially in modern EQ in the AA sphere, it has officially crossed over into the misty realm known as Bloody Ridiculous

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Stanos posted:

Speaking of test and gold, they're popping a patch on Test (or maybe live too??) where you can buy what they call Kronos in the station store for 30 days of gold sub time. They're apparently sellable and tradeable also, so I guess they realized cutting off subs for station cash was a horrible idea finally. :v:

Also plat restrictions are gone from Free/Silver accounts. That is more confusing to me.

I don't like to post twice in a row, but I just saw this after finishing my previous Angry, Rambling post (tm). This is/would be very helpful for me, as I have 4 silver accounts and in the past have had to shuffle things around to accommodate money caps.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I hope everyone stocked up on triple station cash back in december. I know I didn't!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Planar Power is an AA for all classes that raises the non-heroic stat cap for all ability scores by 5 points per level purchased. There are twenty levels each which are purchasable once per character level starting at 61 up until 80. The first 5 levels are 2 points each, which is fine. However, levels 6-20 are 5 points each, despite giving the same reward? Why?

If I'm reading that guide to how experience is calculated this actually makes sense. Experience is based on some formula of mob level etc, but presumably as you're higher level you're killing higher level mobs therefore each mob is worth more xp / kill. The amount of experience required for one AA is constant, so if you had 0 aa and were level 100 and killed a level 100 mob vs level 60 and killed a level 60 mob, the level 100 would fill up his AA bar more.

This doesn't take into account speed of killing nor zone experience modifiers obviously. Probably why The Hole and POF are so good at 70 and 80.

Also it doesn't make much sense because I've seen AA lines that go 3/6/9/3/3/3.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Ninkobei posted:

I hope everyone stocked up on triple station cash back in december. I know I didn't!

Me neither, I could've duped so much more stuff over to test with that extra station cash to sell. :(

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Vomik posted:

AFAIK this is just a holdover from expansions being released; ie. where the previous expansion might have had 3 levels to an aa where the highest level they wanted people to 'pay more' for so it felt 'more exclusive' or important, then the next expansion came out and it was necessary or not as powerful as it leveled past the previous point so it became cheaper again. It's obviously something that should be adjusted but I doubt the few people looking at things like that in game can be arsed to bother.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To the people who are scared to come to Test because they might eventually tell you that you have to pay for gold... So what? At worst case you will have leveled/AA'ed at twice the normal rate, and then will get a free transfer back to your original server. What's the worry?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Creative Bicycle posted:

AFAIK this is just a holdover from expansions being released; ie. where the previous expansion might have had 3 levels to an aa where the highest level they wanted people to 'pay more' for so it felt 'more exclusive' or important, then the next expansion came out and it was necessary or not as powerful as it leveled past the previous point so it became cheaper again. It's obviously something that should be adjusted but I doubt the few people looking at things like that in game can be arsed to bother.

That's exactly why the costs of AAs go up and down. In the expansion it was introduced in, an AA could have 3 levels, costing 3, 6, then 9 points. Then in another expansion, they'd add 3 more levels to it, and those extra levels would cost 3, 6, and 9. If you look at the expansion it lists an AA being from, it will change to a later one and the cost will often go down as you level an ability up. Also, there are major diminishing returns for some of them, as something that came with shadows of luclin is obviously not going to be taking into account the tons of changes that have happened in the game since then. It took a lot longer to earn AAs back then as well.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

RCarr posted:

To the people who are scared to come to Test because they might eventually tell you that you have to pay for gold... So what? At worst case you will have leveled/AA'ed at twice the normal rate, and then will get a free transfer back to your original server. What's the worry?

Yea I don't get it either. If they change it to where Test isn't a free gold account then whatever. I'm not so emotionally invested in this game that I will give a poo poo. It's fun to play if it's free, but I'm sure I can find something else to do with my time if that's no longer the case. You probably should take advantage of it while you can.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

If I'm reading that guide to how experience is calculated this actually makes sense. Experience is based on some formula of mob level etc, but presumably as you're higher level you're killing higher level mobs therefore each mob is worth more xp / kill. The amount of experience required for one AA is constant, so if you had 0 aa and were level 100 and killed a level 100 mob vs level 60 and killed a level 60 mob, the level 100 would fill up his AA bar more.

This doesn't take into account speed of killing nor zone experience modifiers obviously. Probably why The Hole and POF are so good at 70 and 80.

That's a point that I hadn't considered, but I think that the following quotes are more accurate.

Creative Bicycle posted:

ponzicar posted:

That's exactly why the costs of AAs go up and down. In the expansion it was introduced in, an AA could have 3 levels, costing 3, 6, then 9 points. Then in another expansion, they'd add 3 more levels to it, and those extra levels would cost 3, 6, and 9. If you look at the expansion it lists an AA being from, it will change to a later one and the cost will often go down as you level an ability up. Also, there are major diminishing returns for some of them, as something that came with shadows of luclin is obviously not going to be taking into account the tons of changes that have happened in the game since then. It took a lot longer to earn AAs back then as well.

I think this is more to the point; layers and layers of AA from more than a dozen expansions piling on top of each other with no regard for logic, playability, or balance.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

RCarr posted:

My point exactly. There's already strong precedent set that if they change Test in some way, they allow free transfers off the server. The only situation I can think of that they'd not allow free transfers again is if they decide Test isn't free to play anymore, which as pointed out above, would likely lose them more overall in microtransactions than it would earn in subscriptions from the small population that didn't just quit.

In any case, if they put sub time back on the SC store, I don't really care what they do with subs since I have a ton of SC left over and enough plat in the bank from 10 years of playing that I could buy God himself on the station store. I'd still keep playing on Test just because of the other benefits (double xp, all vet rewards). The only thing I can't do on Test that I can elsewhere is raid, and I don't want to raid, so Test it stays. Anyone who wants to stay on Luclin or whatever, that's entirely fine, but don't make it seem like Test is killing the potential Luclin goon population because the reality is that almost all of us playing on Test would just quit if we were forced back to Luclin for some reason. Once you've had double xp, it's really really hard to go back to snail pace

The AA cost thing is 100% most definitely because of expansion bloat. A lot of the 3/6/9/3/3/3 lines used to actually be entirely separate AAs with stacking effects. It wasn't until relatively recently that they condensed them into a single AA line with strange costs

vvv If you can get enough goons together to raid poo poo like that, it's a total blast. We had SO much fun last year mobilizing for CoA and fabled gods and poo poo. Goon raids are absolutely hilarious and generally do pretty well for themselves given the strangeass makeup that is there. Our fabled PoP god raids were amazing. Especially Agnarr, that was some legit poo poo.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 9, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

I am willing to move in the case of a mass goon exodus, but that is it. If the majority of the Luclin goons (and perhaps other goons here not on Test or Luclin) decide to set up shop on Test and reform Ominous, I will gladly come, but for now there is a bit of vibrancy in OLW that was lacking near the end of last summer up through the end of autumn. We've actually had a fair amount of interest for this Anguish run on Sunday, and I find that very encouraging.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Test patch notes up! Some good stuff there.

Edit: My UI still works, just gives the red "Your files are incompatible" error due to a missing reference to the new Krono slot in the Inventory window. I'll live.

quote:

January 8, 2013

*** Highlights ***

- Krono has come to EverQuest! A Krono is an item that can be bought on the Marketplace and consumed for 30 days of Gold membership time. You can trade, barter, buy or sell in the bazaar, and even mail Krono to another player through the parcel system, just like any other tradeable item. You now have a new inventory slot that displays your current Krono balance.
- Wizard hat ornaments are now available! Two can be purchased from Keliss Arden in Plane of Knowledge. Instructions to obtain a Violet hat have been added to "The Firepride Secret of Heroes" book. Eleven other wizard hats are available as drops: Ebon, Beryl, Viridian, Auburn, and more!
- Platinum caps for Free and Silver members have been removed.
- The method for calculating and displaying aggro on the Aggro Meter has changed. See the Miscellaneous section below for more details.

*** Items ***

- Krono has come to EverQuest! A Krono is an item that can be bought on the Marketplace and consumed for 30 days of Gold membership time. You can trade, barter, buy or sell in the bazaar, and even mail Krono to another player through the parcel system, just like any other tradeable item. You now have a new inventory slot that displays your current Krono balance.
- Wizard hat ornaments are now available! Two can be purchased from Keliss Arden in Plane of Knowledge. Instructions to obtain a Violet hat have been added to "The Firepride Secret of Heroes" book. Eleven other wizard hats are available as drops: Ebon, Beryl, Viridian, Auburn, and more!
- Marketplace Player Studio housing building items have had their stack size increased. The walls now stack to 10, the cubes and tiles to 100, and the stairs to 10.
- The Krono item now has a message that indicates its purpose.
- Charm of the Crystal Circle now properly checks faction.
- The Ornate Flying Carpet now correctly grants AC instead of fire resist.
- Temple of Fear's Fall items now have type 20 sockets.
- Fixed an issue with the Stone of the Landing which prevented it from reaching maximum stats.
- Removed errant stats from the Spirit Shield Ornament.
- The Sliver of Fear can now be obtained if you have the Frozen Orb of the Fabled King.
- The Sliver of Fear can now be placed in armor.
- The Strength of Legions sword now has a proc effect.
- Increased the duration of the new Thorny Shield spell to 30 minutes.
- Gelid Soulrender and Apocryphal Soulrender Wristbands now have Bash skill mods as intended.
- Corrected an issue causing some dragons to drop incorrect loot in Temple of Fear's Fall.
- Player Studio - Changed the name of the stucco and plaster walls to match the artist's original intent.
- Trophies obtained through Veil of Alaris raids have been given a guild tribute value. The trophies that do not offer any tribute effects have been renamed to reflect the fact that they are powerless.

*** Quests & Events ***

- Delectable Dragon Pate - Increased the chance that you'll find livers when killing elder dragons in the Breeding Grounds.
- Run, You Fools! - High Lord William Taros will no longer deal damage to the undead minions in the mission.

*** Spells ***

- Druid and Ranger - Vinelash Cascade and Vinelash Assault now share a timer.
- Enchanter - Mastermind's Echo should now behave like an echo and stay where you cast it.
- Enchanter - Fixed several grammatical issues with Mastermind's Aura and Mastermind's Echo.
- Enchanter - Mastermind's Echo, Echo of Temptation, and Issuance of Mana Reverberation should now have visible indications of their center.
- Magician - Fixed a problem that prevented the spell Summon Cauldron of Many Things from being scribed or cast at all membership levels.
- Vendors across Norrath will now give players 1/10 the value for Rank II and III spells from the House of Thule, Veil of Alaris and Rain of Fear expansion.
- Fixed a bug where extra hate was being generated from spells that have conditional components that don't always land.

*** NPC ***

- Corrected errors that caused some NPCs at levels 95 and above to cast the wrong spells.
- Made the spells Misleading Flash and Baffling Flash cast by most basepop NPCs a bit easier to resist.
- Dragon eggs within the Breeding Grounds should no longer hatch when anything other than a player gets within proximity.
- Some giants and creatures in Kael Drakkel: The King's Madness are now less susceptible to the effects of slowing magic.

*** AA ***

- Druid - Spirit of the Bear casting range has been increased to a range of 200.
- Warrior - Phalanx of One ranks 6-10 will now correctly proc Phalanx of Fury when you are being attacked.
- Warrior – Ridicule has been added to the Hastened Scowl line.

*** Progression Servers ***

- The Potion of Shared Adventure II-III and the Potion of Adventure II-III are now available in the Marketplace on progression servers.

*** Player Housing ***

- The upkeep cost on Evantil's Abode has been significantly decreased.

*** Miscellaneous ***

- Changed how the aggro percentage is displayed and calculated in relation to an NPC's current target. The percentage is now calculated in relation to the target the NPC is currently attacking, rather than the target it hates the most. The aggro percentage displayed on the aggro meter is also now capped at 999 percent. For instance, if a player is the NPC's current target, the player will have 100 percent aggro. If there is a pet also taunting the NPC, and the pet's aggro amount exceeds the player's aggro level by four times, the aggro percentage for the pet will be 400 percent.
- Removed the Platinum caps for Free and Silver members.
- You can now send money though the Parcel system if the receiving player is offline.
- Tweaked the values in memory.ini for Minimum, Balanced, and Maximum memory modes to reduce crashing.
- Fixed a crash related to the Preview window and zoning.
- Improved the handling for texture loading. Downsampling and upsampling of textures is now more flexible and responsive to available memory levels.
- Optimized how memory for text is handled to reduce the total memory footprint of EQ.
- Added back the /particledensity command and hooked it up to sync with the particle density options in the options window.
- Fixed an issue related to precipitation that was causing crashes when switching between servers.
- Fixed a bug where hair was disappearing on Drakkins when using the Frostfell ornaments.

*** UI ***

- Added a new InvSlot type to the inventory window: inventory/Krono. This new slot is like any other slot and can be hot keyed in a hot button bar, inspected (using right-click hold or alt-left click), consumed (by right clicking), or even temporarily moved to bag slots.
- Added a button to consume Krono in the inventory window.
- Made some changes to UI processing to reduce the loading and reloading time.
- Added a label to the inventory window that now displays your remaining Gold days left on your subscription (if you have one).
- Fixed some minor UI XML typos.
- Added "Container" as a searchable type in the bazaar.
- Made the mod2 stats (Bash, Flying Kick, etc.) searchable in the bazaar.

- Changed -
EQUI_Animations.xml
EQUI_BodyTintWnd.xml
EQUI_Inventory.xml
EQUI_MapViewWnd.xml
EQUI_PvPStatsWnd.xml
EQUI_RealEstateManageWnd.xml

*** Previously Updated ***

- Walruses and manatees in Siren's Grotto now update the correct slayer achievements.
- Fixed a collection spawn point in Kael Drakkel: The King’s Madness that was previously trapped inside furniture.
- The Wheel of Fists needed for the task "Our Lost Brother, A Cloudy Crystal" should no longer disappear unexpectedly.
- There are now more snow bunnies in East Wastes: Zeixshi-kar's Awakening.
- Stylized Sealed Poison Vial, Bite of the Shissar XVIII, and Distilled Grade A Mamba Venom/Choresine Sample/Taipan Venom have been added to Craftkeeper Irus Tindlefoot in Shard's Landing. To make room for the new inventory, Craftkeeper Bobus Tindlefoot is now holding the pottery ornament sketches.
- In the Valley of King Xorbb quest "The Minotaur Smasher," the smasher golem no longer continuously goes on a rampage after it dies.
- The Breeding Grounds quest "Eggs as Bait" will now update properly.
- Spiders and orcs will now be easier to charm with a dart during the quest "Subdued Subjects" in Crystal Caverns: Fragment of Fear.

Vomik posted:

I'm 99% certain that I read ages ago that the reason they wiped it was due to either some Nagafen exploit, or some duping exploit involving Cloak of Flames. I said this in general chat the other day, and some guy said that the real reason was that the server had been plagued by GM's handing out items at their leisure to regular players.

JustJeff88 posted:

However, what Sony really need to do is this: go back through the AA tables and re-evaluate the cost of each level of each ability. That sounds like a massive undertaking, but numerous abilities are shared between all classes or many classes, and those are usually the most mathematically perplexing abilities that have many, many levels. Too many abilities or levels of abilities have costs that make no sense, especially in light of previous levels of the same ability. This sounds odd, so let me give you an example:
You're totally right from an analytical standpoint, but I am such a stickler for being conservative about EQ's ancient world that I would rather that they just make it faster to gain AA.

RCarr posted:

I feel that way too. It would be ridiculous if they just wiped it and closed Test for good, or even made restrictions on which items people could transfer with them to a new Live server. Some people have genuinely levelled on Test for a decade and earned their stuff there.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 9, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I think this is more to the point; layers and layers of AA from more than a dozen expansions piling on top of each other with no regard for logic, playability, or balance.

Welcome to Everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
The test squad has me convinced. I'm 3 boxing and don't see myself paying for 3 gold accounts any longer. If test does change their rules, I agree that I can find something better to do with my time and won't consider it a big loss. I don't mean to convince other people to jump ship, but this seems perfect for my very casual boxing playstyle.

I'll bring over my 3 characters

Beep Boop: 87 Ranger
Zing Zang: 80 Bard
Cling Clang: 80 monk

I have them pretty much outfitted in the best tradeable gear for their levels. What all I should buy before coming over and what can be bought/obtained on test that I can't on Luclin?

I just /testcopy over on each character and change it from live to test on the patcher, correct? Any other tips/tricks/advice I should know once on test?