Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh lol, that is awesome.

What kind of a person doesn't approve of breast feeding? The hell?

I'm in Ireland, and while we have one of the highest birth rates in Europe, we have the lowest rate of breastfeeding; most women either bottle feed, or only breastfeed for a very short time, and almost all women stop by 6 months. The baby in question is 7 months old, so the in-laws think she should have been transitioned to a bottle already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

That looks really good! That pattern has been in m queue forever because I love the shape of the bag and the way it looks, but I think I'd get bored with that much garter stitch. I have some cool yarn that I want to try it with too, but I'm not sure I'll have enough. I just keep finding excuses not to knit it, even thought I really really want the finished product. :sigh:

I have the same problem with that bag, too. I've been meaning to knit it for years now but I get about five inches in and get bored. :sigh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

I have the same problem with that bag, too. I've been meaning to knit it for years now but I get about five inches in and get bored. :sigh:

Huh. I mean, I have no problem with bottle feeding - whatever gets food into the kid. I suppose there's a point where you should probably wean 'em. Just a weird thing to get mad about!

It's a very nice boob hat. :)

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

That looks really good! That pattern has been in m queue forever because I love the shape of the bag and the way it looks, but I think I'd get bored with that much garter stitch. I have some cool yarn that I want to try it with too, but I'm not sure I'll have enough. I just keep finding excuses not to knit it, even thought I really really want the finished product. :sigh:

That boob hat is hilarious. I love knitting things that are crude and/or offensive.

It is a boring stitch but it's very good for vegging out in front of the tv or doing knitting coffee dates. I liked that I could do it with my brain off. That being said I started the bag last Christmas and just finished it. When I was in knitting mode each strip seem to go pretty fast.

The pattern seems like it would lend itself to customizing very well. I think you could use any stitch with the basic idea of of four strips together.

I think my next project is going to be a tiny computer from the book teeny tiny mochimochi :3: . http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tiny-computer

Lady Xava fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 31, 2012

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wandering Knitter posted:

I was going to propose a race to see which of us could finish a bag first (or get bored and chuck the project across the room), but then I thought about working with the suggested yarn and needle size and my hands cramped up. Maybe I'll put it off a little while longer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just do it in bulky. Do everything in fat yarn. I knit an aran hat in two days :byodame:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I taught my friend to knit a few weeks ago, and he decided that his first project should by KnitPicks' Wellington the Sheep. It is possible the cutest thing to ever cute:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Pucklynn posted:

I taught my friend to knit a few weeks ago, and he decided that his first project should by KnitPicks' Wellington the Sheep. It is possible the cutest thing to ever cute:

That is drat adorable. :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My cardigan sleeves pattern says to "repeat decrease round every seven rounds ten times more".

Does that mean knit seven rounds, then do a decrease round, or knit six rounds and decrease on the seventh round?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I would read that as knit 6 rounds then do a decrease round

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I concur. Knit 6 rounds even, decrease on round 7. Repeat.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks guys! I can't believe I wasn't sure about that (am I just hungover, or is it slightly ambiguous?)

I am kicking rear end on this sweater. Yesterday morning I hadn't touched it since August, and the bottom ribbing wasn't done. Now the bottom ribbing is done, both side fronts ribbing is done, and the collar is done, plus I'm almost done the decreases on one sleeve.

I knit over 6,500 stitches yesterday.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Fionnoula posted:

And finally a matching mother/son owl hats (forgot to take a picture of the mother one) for the GoonMoms Secret Santa. Modeled by my son before sending it:

I need this. *eyetwich* Need. Pretty please with sugar on top tell me there's a pattern for the owl? Was it modified from the 'Who?' pattern?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

SilverSliver posted:

I need this. *eyetwich* Need. Pretty please with sugar on top tell me there's a pattern for the owl? Was it modified from the 'Who?' pattern?

It's Chouette (picture was taken before I added the button eyes).
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chouette

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Kind of late to the party, but I love the boob hat for the still-nursing 7 month old. Passive aggressive knitting win.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh Jesus, that Owl hat is so goddamn cute.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

So I have decided that it's time for me to get a set of knitting needles so that I don't have to go and buy a pair for every single new project I decide to make. I was looking at possibilities online but decided to go with the instant gratification option and just buy whatever my craft store had. Surprise, my craft store didn't have any sets of knitting needs, just individual sets.

So since my desire is being delayed I figured I'd get expert opinions. What do you all prefer to use? Aluminum, wood, something else? I have a couple sets of aluminum Boye needles and a pair of plastic ones. I don't particularly prefer one over the other. Should I get a kit of straight needles and a kit of circulars, just get a kit of interchangeable circulars? Buy everything separately? What works for all of you?

I'm willing to entertain any possibilities in needles because I'm willing to try any knitting project that looks cool. Thanks for the help.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

innocent_deadly posted:

So I have decided that it's time for me to get a set of knitting needles so that I don't have to go and buy a pair for every single new project I decide to make. I was looking at possibilities online but decided to go with the instant gratification option and just buy whatever my craft store had. Surprise, my craft store didn't have any sets of knitting needs, just individual sets.

So since my desire is being delayed I figured I'd get expert opinions. What do you all prefer to use? Aluminum, wood, something else? I have a couple sets of aluminum Boye needles and a pair of plastic ones. I don't particularly prefer one over the other. Should I get a kit of straight needles and a kit of circulars, just get a kit of interchangeable circulars? Buy everything separately? What works for all of you?

I'm willing to entertain any possibilities in needles because I'm willing to try any knitting project that looks cool. Thanks for the help.

Me personally, I just use circs for everything. They do everything straights do. I can't even remember the last time I used straights.

I have an aluminum set from knitpicks, and use it tons. The points are fairly sharp but not painfully so, I love the cables and the aluminum...well, it CAN be a bit slippery of I'm working with slippery yarn (alpaca, silk). But generally I love the set.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
If you're looking for a near one-time investment, I'd say go for an interchangeable set, especially if you like using circulars/make a lot of things in the round. It's so much easier then having to get multiple needles for every needle/cord size combo you need.

I have two sets of interchangeables, the Knitpicks wooden ones which I bought on sale for like $65, and the Addi Lace short tips which are $180 but they have a lifetime warranty (I had a problem with one tip, mailed it to their HQ, and had a new tip in the mail by the next week, no questions asked).

Talking just of the needle tips, I prefer the KP ones since they're actually sharper than the Lace ones, and just as slippery. The join is quite smooth too provided you've used the cable key to tighten it. My Addis on the other hand...the joins definitely catch, especially with the smaller tips/lighter weight yarn, which is a real pain considering how much they cost. However, the KP set cords only come in 24" and 40", and I make a lot of smaller things like hats and cowls, hence why I bought the Addis. The Addi cords are a lot nicer too, much more flexible and easier to do Magic Loop than with the KPs.

So it depends a lot on what you make the most - the KP set hurts from lacking a smaller cord size than 24" but they're much cheaper and I actually prefer them for finer gauge projects like lace shawls (ironic?) If you usually use smaller needles than a #4 you're out of luck with both Addi and KP - but Hiya Hiya makes a small needle size set that I think is #2-8 and runs about $80. There's lots of other options out there too, this is just based on my own purchases and experience. One of the women in my knitting group has a set of ebony interchangeables that are so beautiful it makes me want to weep...but so does the price, and not in a good way.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I'm using KnitPicks Rosewood set, they're really lovely. Tried a few different needles before that and found these great. The cables are really good for doing magic loop circular knitting, and I use the circs for all my knitting now. I prefer knitting on wood to metal.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same

innocent_deadly posted:

So I have decided that it's time for me to get a set of knitting needles so that I don't have to go and buy a pair for every single new project I decide to make.

I first bought a straight set Knit Picks Harmony and I love knitting with them. They are bright and multi-colored so often easy to see through your yarn. The wood is laminated and it's so smooth, which I also like. The size range is pretty good; 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11 (3.50mm-8.00 mm), and I find it meets most of my needs when I want to use straights.

Later I got the nickel-plated Options and so far I like them just fine. I'd definitely recommend them both.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I bought one of those cheap sets of bamboo circ needles off of ebay where it was like 10 dollars for one in every size, and they're actually pretty smooth and since each one cost less than a buck a piece, I didn't care when the circ cord finally broke on my size 5s.

I prefer the harmony ones from knitpicks, but one of the ones I had snapped right where the metal meets the wood, which was kind of a bummer.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I started with an interchangeable set, the Denise ones. The joins on them blow chunks (yarn catches often, and now they're coming apart) so I'd personally say avoid those. Interchangeable sets are great if you don't plan to knit anything smaller than a 4 or 5, which I never thought I would!

In the past year, I've mostly switched over completely to bamboo, as I prefer to grip of them. I also have 13" straights, 5" DPNs (wish I'd gotten the 7") and now 40" circulars. The circs I just got are actually the older style so they were discounted way down to $15 shipped for sizes 1 through 15. Going to reinforce the joins and laugh all the way to the bank.

I in no way benefit from any of these links, just sharing some love:

13" straight bamboo needles, sizes 1-15 $47 This has gone up a bit since I got mine a couple years ago.
Full set of 5" bamboo DPNs $22
7" DPNs with darker finish, $28
Full set of bamboo circulars in the newer style, 6 lengths to choose from, $31.50 shipped. You could do magic loop everything with the longest option.
The set I got, older style with the unsecure looking joins (he didn't offer the newer style last week!) 4 length options, $13 shipped

Dead Cow, are those last ones the ones you got? Took me a bit to collect all my links. I'm planning to reinforce the joins with plumbers tape like I saw in a "make your own circulars" tutorial.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dead Cow posted:

I bought one of those cheap sets of bamboo circ needles off of ebay where it was like 10 dollars for one in every size, and they're actually pretty smooth and since each one cost less than a buck a piece, I didn't care when the circ cord finally broke on my size 5s.

I prefer the harmony ones from knitpicks, but one of the ones I had snapped right where the metal meets the wood, which was kind of a bummer.

Call Knitpicks, they've always been great about replacing things for me. They even replaced my size 6 tips for free after I broke them through my own clumsiness (dropped my knitting, then stepped on it).

There's also Knitter's Pride Symfonie Dreamz Interchangeables. Same as the Knitpicks (I've picked up some of their cables and use them with my KnitPicks Harmony set), but their tips are color coded instead of all multicolored. Also, they have a special set with shorter tips and cables to make 16". I find the shorter tips a little difficult to use - they make my hands crampy, but it may be an option for others.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

zamiel posted:

Dead Cow, are those last ones the ones you got? Took me a bit to collect all my links. I'm planning to reinforce the joins with plumbers tape like I saw in a "make your own circulars" tutorial.

They are kind of like that, but mine shipped from China, not the US, and they weren't individually wrapped. I got them with really long cords, and the join actually didn't fall off, it bent and broke because the project I was using them on wasn't stored correctly.

I'm thinking about getting those ones you just linked.

fake edit: The ones I got were these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-sizes-40-Bamboo-Circular-Knitting-Needles-US0-15-/390521696930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aece832a2

real edit:

Fionnoula posted:

Call Knitpicks, they've always been great about replacing things for me. They even replaced my size 6 tips for free after I broke them through my own clumsiness (dropped my knitting, then stepped on it).

I didn't buy them from knitpicks, I bought them from a yarn store and I lost the receipt. Knitpicks wanted the receipt, and the store I bought them from went out of business.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 5, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
You guys are making me jealous with your fancy needle sets. Most of my needles came from eBay or Listia, where I buy up lots of used and vintage needles. I don't always get exactly what I want, but it's cheaper than buying them all separate, and it's kind of fun. I also figure I can resell some of the extras, if I ever get around to it. Somehow I ended up with a ton of size 3 needles.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I had a package waiting for me in my mailbox today....

*jaw drop* The pretty!!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Chiming in with the interchangeable sets to put in a vote for my bamboo HiyaHiya set! They come in two flavors: small (2-8) and large (9-15). I got the small set for Christmas. They also include one of each: 16", 24", 32", and 40". You screw the needle on and tighten it with rubber "grips" (almost like the rubber grips that you get to open tight jam jars). Ooh, and the needles are smaller, which I like.

I started out with the bamboo Knit Picks one, and I bought each part separately. What I didn't like was that the interchangeable needles only went down to 4, and the cables only went down to 24". I like knitting cowls that are closer to my neck and with lace detail, and with the magic loop I kept screwing up the pattern because I kept miscounting. (Maybe that's my own fault, but I like making things as easy as possible.) I also didn't like that some of my needles didn't fit the cables I bought due to some defective piece. Like each one wouldn't screw in in at least one side of the cable. I broke a few cables trying to undo one of them... :(

The only thing I don't like about the HiyaHiyas is that the needles are not sharp at all. Also the small and large sets don't work with each other (the needles with the cables, I mean). I like knitting with thinner yarn so I doubt I'll ever need the larger set.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I just frogged almost a foot from a sweater I'm knitting... in lace weight yarn. There was some cursing involved and now I deserve some booze.

As for different kinds of needles, all I have are bamboo. I really want a metal set, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough to deal with the slippage. Is that a legitimate concern?

Also, that yarn up there is loving gorgeous.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've been knitting for about a year now and I've been knitting with knitter's pride nova interchangeables for at least half that time. I sometimes have stitches slide but its pretty rare that it creates problems for me. I got a knit picks try it out set with wood, nickel, and plastic tips to decide what needle type I liked best to start and I like how smoothly stitches move on metal so I got a metal set :)

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I just frogged almost a foot from a sweater I'm knitting... in lace weight yarn. There was some cursing involved and now I deserve some booze.

As for different kinds of needles, all I have are bamboo. I really want a metal set, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough to deal with the slippage. Is that a legitimate concern?

Also, that yarn up there is loving gorgeous.

I'd consider myself an advanced beginner because while my crochet experience made it extremely easy for me to pick up knitting and have it look nice right away, I've only ever finished a single knitting project completely. That said, I LOVE metal needles. The grab of wooden needles irritates me to no end and makes my life more difficult. I actually gave my size 6 KP needles to a friend to be her first nice needles because they pulled at my yarn so badly it started pilling as I knit.
Mostly it depends on what you need. If you find yarn slips off your bamboo needles, metal might not be the best choice for you. But if you sometimes feel they're a little too grabby, metal needles might work better for you. Bamboo has a lot of flex, from what I've experienced, and and if you like that, metal is probably not for you.
If you're still jonesing to try metal needles, I recommend Chiao Goo Red Lace. The join between the cables and needles are very smooth, the tips are sharp but not stabby and the have the added bonus of not being nickel-plated, just in case you're allergic.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Why in God's name are you knitting a sweater in lace? :aaaaa: I'm too scared to try one in fingering weight! :( Admittedly I'm pretty fat, but still.

As for the needle discussion, I'm with GabrielAisling - bamboo is way too grabby for me. I have a set that I will use if I have to, but mostly they just hold WIPs when I get bored and need that size needle for a new project. Also nthing the vote for circulars, they're so versatile that unless you hate them/can't knit on them, I think you're better off with them.

Waddley Hasselhoff - I'm building up my Knitter's Pride Nova collection. They're nickel-plated which may be a problem, but they're smooth without being too slippery and they're very light.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

left_unattended posted:

Why in God's name are you knitting a sweater in lace? :aaaaa: I'm too scared to try one in fingering weight! :( Admittedly I'm pretty fat, but still.
I got 2 skeins (about 1800 yards) on sale and didn't read how much the yardage it was, so when I got it I figured "What the hell." To be fair, it's practically all stockinette. (I also wound it without a swift. THAT was fun.)

Thanks for the needle advice! My bamboo needles catch, but I just kind of worked with it because I don't know any better. I'll start saving up for metal. :D

snail goat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 7, 2013

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

left_unattended posted:

tter's Pride Nova collection. They're nickel-plated which may be a problem, but they're smooth without being too slippery and they're very light.

Someone posted a sweater they were making in laceweight that used like size 5s or 6s or something crazy. It was a very light, breezy looking sweater and if I ever find it again, someday I will have one!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

(I also wound it without a swift. THAT was fun.)

Oh god, this. I wound a single big skein of laceweight without a swift or winder and immediately swore never to do it again. Luckily I'm not a fan of lace.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Pair 1 of 13 in '13 done! I feel like it's cheating since they're worsted, but all intros seem to be worsted on DPNs. They're a bit loose but not bad for just around the house / at the comp when it's chilly. I did wear them a bit yesterday w/ my boots just running errands and they fuzzed a bit but that's okay, figured it might since it's just Paton's wool. Going to make another this month with either 1 or 2 circulars to get that technique down.

My dog wants to attack them anytime I put them on my feet. She never barks much, but she gets quite vocal! Also, that is the "puppy wall" to keep her from my cords.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

Pair 1 of 13 in '13 done! I feel like it's cheating since they're worsted, but all intros seem to be worsted on DPNs. They're a bit loose but not bad for just around the house / at the comp when it's chilly. I did wear them a bit yesterday w/ my boots just running errands and they fuzzed a bit but that's okay, figured it might since it's just Paton's wool. Going to make another this month with either 1 or 2 circulars to get that technique down.

My dog wants to attack them anytime I put them on my feet. She never barks much, but she gets quite vocal! Also, that is the "puppy wall" to keep her from my cords.

Ok the socks are great but AHH YOUR DOGGIE! Black pugs are my favorite kind of dog and I am jealous. I only have half a pug.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

zamiel posted:

That face! :3: She looks so sad, haha.

Bob, how on earth do you have half a pug?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

That face! :3: She looks so sad, haha.

Bob, how on earth do you have half a pug?

He's a 'puggle' (aka mutt), half pug and half beagle. And all dumbass. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

He's a 'puggle' (aka mutt), half pug and half beagle. And all dumbass. :)

Ohhhh. Yeah, I have a cat like that. He's......special :downs:.

For content, this is what I'm doing with the wool I posted earlier. Direct to you from the Unfashionable Western Arm of the Galaxy, I give you:

Hitchhiker

I've put Arabian Nights on the backburner for the time being.