Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Pester posted:

...I think Nagito might be in trouble. :tinfoil:

Might be in trouble, or might be trouble. That message could be for him, or written by him afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
With every new update, I'm convinced that Monobear's gone quite off his rocker with trying to keep the school murder status quo. Pretty expected, given the last game, but it just feels so over-the-top! Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but it almost feels like his composure is slipping. Just a bit. :v:

It also says something that I was deeply saddened by Monomi getting torn apart by the Monobeasts, but am totally curious to see if and how they'll be used in the student executions...

And Fatgami's smirk in the OP video made me laugh for some reason.

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.

SWMadness posted:

I'm hoping they just paired up the characters with random backgrounds to avoid spoilers, but you never know.

Most of the backgrounds seemed appropriate though, Mahiru had photos, Tanaka "I am the dark lord of all evil" Gundam had some pentagrams, Kuzuryuu had a pack of film noir gangsters, they all seemed to be character relevant in some way.

That said I'm concerned for Nagito.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Commandant posted:

Most of the backgrounds seemed appropriate though, Mahiru had photos, Tanaka "I am the dark lord of all evil" Gundam had some pentagrams, Kuzuryuu had a pack of film noir gangsters, they all seemed to be character relevant in some way.

That said I'm concerned for Nagito.

What's with Mikan and the prominent male and female gender symbols then?

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.

SWMadness posted:

I said most! But the game hasn't specified what kind of nurse she is. Maybe she specializes in obstetrics and that's meant to connect to the babies she deals with? Who knows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think the most important question here is: The "CV:" bits are the SHSL trait for that character, right?

What did Hinata's say?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

SWMadness posted:

C-c-c-c-crossdresser! :yoinks:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Zereth posted:

I think the most important question here is: The "CV:" bits are the SHSL trait for that character, right?

What did Hinata's say?

CV is Character Voice

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SWMadness posted:

Could have to do with relationships, because those things are hard. It could be Mars and Venus symbols, so it represents a dichotomy between love and war. We don't have enough information on what it could mean, we just met these characters.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Zereth posted:

What did Hinata's say?

CV just means voice actor or the like. Hinata's is Minami Takayama, she voiced Conan Edogawa in the Detective Conan series.

edit for clarification

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, Monomi's execution has my new favorite song in the game. And from the second opening, we see Hinata running for a few seconds by what appears to be a city, or at least hinted at by what appears to be a highway ramp. Is that a hint at one of the islands that is still locked at this point?

Zereth posted:

What did Hinata's say?

CV is just naming who the character's voice actor/actress is.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Monimi gunned down? Despair kicking in? new intro?

This update has alot of stuff going on. The new intro is quite good with the Despair Trial soundtrack playing on the background.
Togami pointing out the worst fact, almost at the end of the update, just feels off for some reason.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh Monobear. It's like you never left us. :allears:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
If nothing else, it means he's probably not a robot.

:effort:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

QuarkJets posted:

Togami is going to be my least favorite the best character again

Fixed that for you :smug: Surely the guy has to die this time though, the smug jerk character surviving two games would just be absurd.

Also the true tragedy of this game so far is that we no longer have a reason to play that stupidly catchy Monomi's theme. That said I don't really see what shooting up the thing accomplishes aside from the obvious d-word since I somehow doubt it was an actual magical rabbit.

Regardless, time to start avoiding all the posts dissecting the opening.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Might be in trouble, or might be trouble. That message could be for him, or written by him afterall.

I'm hoping Nagito is trouble because I like him and I want him to stick around. Either way, he's shaping up to be an interesting character.

The best parts of this update were the fainting hamsters and Togami's smirk in the intro.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Gotta love that callback to DR1. I like how the characters are even positioned in similar poses reminiscent to the original (Fukawa and Mikan, Nekomaru and Hagakure). The only glaring difference is that Togami is in the center instead of our protagonist.

Anyway I don't know Usagi/Monomi is gone for good. If she's similar to Monobear then she probably has spare bodies somewhere just in case of an emergency. But I do think whoever is controlling her is different from the person controlling Monobear. The whole "she's secretly evil thing" doesn't make a whole lot of sense after Monobear beat her up and then shot her down.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
So uh, Gundam is magic? I mean he's got that scar that looks a little like Harry Potter but I mean... I hope the developers made that opening just to gently caress with people.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"I'll warn you now, I have no compassion, sympathy, or pity. That's because I'm a bear."

:allears:

I like that the second intro managed to make everyone look suspicious, even the 'nice' characters.

Ghost Kitten
Sep 3, 2011
So do Gundam's magic pentagram things count as "occult"?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hmmmm...

"Where are you?
RIP
I'll find you" ?

I was also curious to see our protagonist having a reticle for his background and nothing else. I mean I know it's standard DR amnesia and all, but I can't help but wonder if it's something darker. His thoughts in the prologue were quite insane in a few parts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Skunkrocker posted:

No one in the game or in this thread mentions the fact Hinata got grazed by a bullet that sliced his face open enough to ooze blood? I mean... our main character almost got shot in the face, in a video game where every last detail is important.

The bullet is actually Hinata's grandfather made into a bullet by Monobear after another incident happening similarly in a weapons factory, there I've just broken the case.

Seriously though... calm down.

Anyways, the new opening is nice, I saw it a few months ago after the DR LP ended and it... I dunno, it made me a bit interested, but not enough for me to say "OH MAN I AM PSYCHED FOR DANGAN RONPA 2." I can't say I still am, we've only just gotten past the opening and while everything's neat so far, nothing grabbed my attention that the first game didn't already do except gunning down Monomi, that was pretty crazy.

Who knows though, it's a whole new game and I'm ready for crazy bears making everyone kill each other on a tropical island.

Also...

THESE loving TRACKS, only 3 tracks so far are new and all of them are great! Masafumi Takada, you are amazing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ekusukariba posted:

CV is Character Voice
Oh. :geno: Never mind then.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I can't shake the feeling that the bloody writing on the wall is going to tie Nagito into The Most Despair Inducing Moment, more than it will have anything to do with his character leaving bloody notes in DR2. That, and our main character being one of the non-Academy kids who snuck in/along to Hope's Peak.

I'm loving the intro, though. The remix is so good. If it weren't for the fact that I'd assume googling the composer's name would land me right in spoiler town, I'd go on youtube and look up a shitload of stuff he did so I can listen to it, it's all been really interesting so far

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
I'm thinking that we're primed to think crossdresser when we see the male/female symbols, due to the first games twist cross dresser reveal. There are other potential meanings, perhaps full on gender change or not being heterosexual. Only one way to find out though, waiting and seeing, because it could be something really unexpected and tangential to the symbols, like indicating different attitudes to the genders. She can't help but be nervous and burst into tears when talking to guys but has a different reaction to women?

Bottom line, the delayed reveal seemed to work out fine for me, the idea being that the protagonist ideally mirrors the players initial stubborn suspicions but JUST when they start wondering...bam, there we go.
Some definitely did start wondering; I was going along lines like "Is it really just a trial system coupled with that they're stuck on an island, forced to interact with everyone else, so it'll only be cabin fever and time that causes them to snap and go Lord of the Flies on each other?" :words:
So, I'd say the opening twist was, while not perfect, perfectly serviceable.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

slowbeef posted:

Not sure if it's different from the sequel, but here's the hi-res version of it from iOS Dangan Ronpa 1.

Awesome, thank you! Going to see if I can do something about the menu bar on the side, but will most likely ignore it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
If you look close, you can see some scribbled hearts behind the gender symbols with Mikan, so I'm guessing it's foreshadowing some kind of romance/sexual orientation subplot.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Did the music in the second intro play somewhere yet by the way? Any chance for a tindeck link if it hasn't?

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2013

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm loving the intro, though. The remix is so good. If it weren't for the fact that I'd assume googling the composer's name would land me right in spoiler town, I'd go on youtube and look up a shitload of stuff he did so I can listen to it, it's all been really interesting so far

He arranged a few songs for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Marionation Gear, in particular, has a similar sound to what he's going for in the Dangan Ronpa games.

Shin Onigashima: http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D63qEt9OyoUw
Yoshi's Story (Ending): http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlOatb7f677s
Mike's Song: http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz5thpfhv83M
Lip's Theme: http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcx-YoZotlOU
Tetris Type B: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hW6zZCblg
Marionation Gear: http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D85o94ormyXA

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Masafumi Takada has also done music for No More Heroes, God Hand, Vanquish and Killer 7, he's a pretty cool dude.

DefenderDT
Jul 2, 2010

What do you mean I'm not popular?

SWMadness posted:

I honestly think this may or may not be a sort of double-twist with DR1 events.

In DR1 we have two characters that have gender/personality swapping ideals, primarily is the cross-dressing SHSL Hacker we all knew and loved twice over.

Secondly, we had Fukawa / Genocider Syo. This is not a gender thing, but a personality thing.

I feel like the hearts and gender symbols might be making us think the game will give us some kind of twist of 'Well obviously she's really a guy, AND a crazed psychopath in disguise!' or some combination thereof.

However, it could be something as simple as repressed sexual issues. Perhaps she's on the fence with what she wants in that department? Perhaps it'll play into the game! I mean would it be too out of the question to think that someone who was so far into the closet could freak out at being discovered?

Remember that Mondo was willing to kill just so that his secret of killing his brother wouldn't get out.

If you lived in a family with such strict codes that it was wrong to do anything, and you had to be a nurse no matter what, and if you didn't sit on wooden spoons every day you would be whipped and then go to hell, you could grow up thinking that something so simple would be a nightmare if it got out.

Then again I'm just pontificating here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
^

While I doubt you are right about lots of those things what you say is interesting. I am not the biggest fan of Tsumiki's personality, but during the free time vote I will probably vote for her as I want to learn why she is so messed up.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 9, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rest in Peace, Usami, you and your theme song were too good for this world :(

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DefenderDT posted:

I honestly think this may or may not be a sort of double-twist with DR1 events.

Again though, that kinda gets back to the whole "well the developers are screwing with my expectations/ wait they know I'm expecting them to screw with my expectations so they're playing it straight/ wait maybe they I know so they will/ or they know I know they know so they won't"

The game's obviously written with some misdirection and possible not-misdirection, so playing the meta game of trying to figure out their intentions given things like character art for an introduction reel (i.e. poo poo that's not presented in the game world itself) probably can't go very far.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Anyway I don't know Usagi/Monomi is gone for good. If she's similar to Monobear then she probably has spare bodies somewhere just in case of an emergency. But I do think whoever is controlling her is different from the person controlling Monobear. The whole "she's secretly evil thing" doesn't make a whole lot of sense after Monobear beat her up and then shot her down.

If so, why would another person/group kidnap high school students and bring them to an isolated island with no contact with the world? I was thinking whomever is controlling Monobear was using Usagi as a way to get the group's hope up before bringing them into despair.

E: bad with names

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think a big part of it is the fact that Junko isn't Monobear's controller anymore, there's someone else in the driver seat, which would explain the difference in attitude.
Still theoretically being run by SHSL Despair, just not Junko.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008
I don't think the gender symbols are pointing towards a trans or crossdressing character, I think it's a bit more likely that the girls form an 'alliance' to protect themselves, like the five or six female characters who tried that in Battle Royale. The male characters are much more intimidating (and in one case openly violent) this time around, Mikan might think it'd be safer if they just cut off all contact? I mean, she's already shown to be really jumpy and skiddish.

Hyun. fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2013

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Migishu posted:

Going to see if I can do something about the menu bar on the side, but will most likely ignore it

I took a shot at getting rid of that bar. If it looks wrong or 'off' just let me know.

edit: Already noticed something wrong, but it should be fixed now.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I gotta say, Usami/Monami, I may have hated your Barney dialogue to the point where I didn't even notice your name wasn't Monami when the game started, but your theme song shall be missed.

slowbeef posted:

The game's obviously written with some misdirection and possible not-misdirection, so playing the meta game of trying to figure out their intentions given things like character art for an introduction reel (i.e. poo poo that's not presented in the game world itself) probably can't go very far.

Yeah, this can't be stated enough. It's a bad idea to try to meta-read mysteries in general because since The Mysterious Affair at Styles(okay maybe a bit before that) authors have had this game of double-bluff going on where trying to reason what they are going for thematically as opposed to dealing with the evidence just gets you nowhere. And because this game is a sequel, it's especially bad to try to meta it because the author has a much better idea of what you are expecting than he had in the first game. I think it was Freeman(or Carr. Or Carr quoting Freeman. I don't remember to be honest.) that said something along the lines of not even needing to mislead the reader because the reader will mislead himself so long as you give the evidence proper atmosphere. And that's the thing with trying to meta-read a mystery story, if you do that you are basically going to mislead yourself without the author even having to try. All the writers have done so far is hang a heavy atmosphere around a clue and basically invited the player to make a ton of assumptions about it. If you want to know what's actually going on, it's a bad idea to actually respond to that invitation and form a theory around it.

I mean I'm not saying that the stuff like Togami, Monobear and all that are just red herrings. That's a bit beyond what a red herring is allowed to be, that would be just bad writing. What I mean is, it's a bad idea to try to meta-reason around that or form a theory early on because the writer totally wants you to do that. I know this is going to sound hypocritical but let's assume you are this game's writer. Your goal is to keep your players guessing about the nature of the game's plot up until the very end of the game. With that in mind, would you really make it so that the player can actually infer enough stuff about your early setups that he can figure out endgame stuff before the first murder even happens? Of course not. So the stuff we have now is just meant to get us on the wrong track. I'm not saying it's all a red herring, just that it's not going to be useful for us at least for now. So it's useless to try to meta-reason around it because the idea of meta-reasoning implies that either the writer would be okay with letting the player anticipate his plot that quickly or be wholly incompetent. From DR1, we know he's not incompetent so...

What I'm trying to say is, the writer's goal is to trick the player and he's inviting meta-reasoning based on stuff like Togami and all that. So taking him up on his offer to meta-read stuff when his goal is to not let the player know what's going on until the very end is a bad idea, 'is what I'm getting at.

• Locked thread