Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xwonderboyx posted:

I just barely hit 4. I used to be able to do 8. Time to get stronger/lose a bit of weight.

You gotta do pull ups to get better at pull ups. They're a real bitch to get decent at and stay there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xwonderboyx posted:

I just barely hit 4. I used to be able to do 8. Time to get stronger/lose a bit of weight.

We had a PTL that levied some kind of challenge...I don't remember, it was something like if anyone in the group could beat him at pull-ups we wouldn't have to run or something. Some guy jumps up there and does about 15...I was impressed, he didn't even slow down until he was over 10. Then the PTL gets up there, gets to 12 and is really struggling. Then he stops, looks around, smiles, and breaks 20 without slowing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What about doing lateral pulldowns on a machine after we do our pathetic 4-6 pullups?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

What about doing lateral pulldowns on a machine after we do our pathetic 4-6 pullups?

This is my opinion--I don't think they're worth a poo poo. You wanna replicate the motion of the pull-up as close as you can to improve it i.e. do weight-assisted but keep it minimal. Make a goal to do 1-2 more every week to a total number. Once you can bang out 10 good ones, add a 10lb plate till you can do 10. Add some more weight or do a body weight set after. Just keep poo poo like lat pull downs out of the equation entirely but if you must do something do weight-assisted pull ups.

What I've told people that seems to help is pick a number like 50 pull ups. Give yourself 20 minutes to do them. Next week make cut it down a few minutes and keep that going or maybe 50 was too easy in 20 so add another. Whatever you do, the goal is to do more pull ups to get better at pull ups.

What has worked best for me was using weight in either in sets of 10 or 5. Once I was able to knock out 50 in 5x10 then I just moved up to doing more with a combination of weight on a lower amount of reps or no weight for a higher amount.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 8, 2013

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I do tons of lat pulldowns and they do absolutely nothing for my pull-ups. To get better at pull-ups you just do as many as you can all the time. Not even really worth it.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

You gotta do pull ups to get better at pull ups. They're a real bitch to get decent at and stay there.

I don't know. I never do pull ups and just do wide arm lat pull downs, close arm lat pull ups, reverse grip lat pull downs and when I had a pull up competition with a few marines I did about 17. And they said the reason why I smoked myself at 17 was because I went too slow. So lat pull downs does help.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 8, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kaliber posted:

I don't know. I never do pull ups and just do wide arm lat pull downs, close arm lat pull ups, reverse grip lat pull downs and when I had a pull up competition with a few marines I did about 17. And they said the reason why I smoked myself at 17 was because I went too slow. So lat pull downs does help.

Who's to say that if you switched to a routine that included variations of pulls up, weighted and with varying grips, that you couldn't blow past 17 in a few weeks time? There's just no magic formula for this kind of thing. It's been my experience and what I've seen with most others is that to net bigger gains, you gotta hit that lift or exercise hard.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Negatives help too.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

vacation in kabul posted:

I do tons of lat pulldowns and they do absolutely nothing for my pull-ups. To get better at pull-ups you just do as many as you can all the time. Not even really worth it.

Not exactly true. Without doing pullups or lat pulldowns, I went from doing ~12 to doing 20 in a year. I just lifted and ate a shitton while I was in Iraq.

But yeah, generally you need to do pullups to get better at pullups.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always been able to do like 8-10. I started getting up in the 20's in Iraq because I had tons of time to kill and used some of it to do pullups and dips, but now that I'm back in the states I rarely do pullups and I can do about 8-10 again. And I work out a lot. So YMMV I guess.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would add that finding a reason to do pull ups helps too. I treat them as an accessory for deadlifting mainly. It's not a thing in the USAF for any sort of PT standard or whatever so there isn't an incentive to keep them up. I just find that they hit my upper back like no other which in turn helps me get the bar to a locked out position.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

This week is all crossfit for unit PT. SO loving GAY. I hate crossfit with a loving passion.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossfit is really the worst thing. I don't get why folks in the Army get a boner for it and stuff like P90X when traditional weight training and cardio workouts are like 20x more effective.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Crossfit is really the worst thing. I don't get why folks in the Army get a boner for it and stuff like P90X when traditional weight training and cardio workouts are like 20x more effective.

It's like a loving disease. Thankfully the PT guru for Ft Drum acknowledges that although 1-2 crossfit type workouts a week are probably not a bad thing, it absolutely should not be done daily, and traditional weight lifting is more beneficial.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
Not only is Crossfit gay, but all of the overhead pushing mixed with the time component which leads to severely degraded form and leads to SLAP tears. Which will pretty much end your career.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

faddypaddy posted:

Not only is Crossfit gay, but all of the overhead pushing mixed with the time component which leads to severely degraded form and leads to SLAP tears. Which will pretty much end your career.

This plus kipping pullups gave me two shoulder impingements in 2009. Crossfit is okay IN MODERATION but a lot of the stuff needs significant retooling.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Crossfit is fine for bodyweight or low weight exercises. You can find hundreds of videos of crossfit "trainers" encouraging clients to go for speed over form.

There was a video posted in W&W that showed these women absolutely failing at powercleans. It was hilarious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

Crossfit is fine for bodyweight or low weight exercises. You can find hundreds of videos of crossfit "trainers" encouraging clients to go for speed over form.

There was a video posted in W&W that showed these women absolutely failing at powercleans. It was hilarious.

They were doing continental cleans. lovely ones but yea.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've done crossfit off and on for around 2 years now and I will come to its defense. With a good coach they will absolutely stop you flat when your form starts to go to poo poo and either make you reduce weight or just quit the workout. This also goes into the "programming" because a good coach won't program wacky poo poo that has you doing nine million snatches.

That said, the "certification" process is a complete joke and any chucklefuck can become a crossfit trainer and open their own gym.

I've been focusing more on strength lately with cardio maybe twice a week just to keep from getting too fat.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
After going rock climbing while on leave, I'm now obsessed with it. Thankfully the solitary wall within 200 miles is at the YMCA that I'm a member of (I hate you North Dakota), and though it's pretty meager, I'll be able to keep climbing. It's a lot of fun, and it absolutely kills you when you're done with it. Hits all kinds of muscles you never knew you had.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think the biggest problem is that it isn't a better workout at all, and that your time is better spent lifting and running.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Crossfit is cool if it gets someone new to lifting weights or not wanting to be out of shape any more into something like powerlifting, oly, or bodybuilding. The dudes who are hard core into it that pay money for their CF gyms with huge Delta Force bros murals and grow beards for CF pride whatever are idiots and should be laughed at.

bloops fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 9, 2013

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

xwonderboyx posted:

That said, the "certification" process is a complete joke and any chucklefuck can become a crossfit trainer and open their own gym.

This is my major problem with crossfit. Also the guys who are put in charge of PT call it crossfit and program the any rear end in a top hat workouts with no thinking or pre-planning whatsoever about the goal of the workout. People think that just because you feel smoked means it is a good workout when in fact it is just the opposite especially when you subject yourself to it everyday. Eventually the body builds up enough stress hormones to prohibit recovery to the point of injury.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Lifting while sick may seem like a boss move, it is not. Good god my body hates me.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The worst part about not lifting in forever is how drat sore I am the first week or so. And then how bad I am at cardio now...

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Solid new article on the Starting Strength website.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/a_strength_based_approach_to_the_apft

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone give this man a MSM.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did some HIIT this morning. Felt like death afterward because I still have some kind of respiratory infection, but I think I'm going to switch to 3 days a week of HIIT and 1 day a week of distance running on top of my 3 days of lifting until the weather gets nicer and I can start running outside again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:eyepop:

I suck at push-ups. Always have. But I've always been pretty good at pull-ups. Anyone use the perfect pushup extensively? I guess they have a V2 now.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-31001-V2-Pushup-Bar/dp/B008DNAJ5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358500082&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+pushup

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

The worst part about not lifting in forever is how drat sore I am the first week or so. And then how bad I am at cardio now...

Squat/deadlift DOMS are the worst. Trying to shuffle up stairs and bend over.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2013

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are all of those things those people are doing supposed to be incredibly retarded looking? And is that last before and after dude supposed to look identical in both pictures?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are all of those things those people are doing supposed to be incredibly retarded looking? And is that last before and after dude supposed to look identical in both pictures?

He actually looks scrawnier to me.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My 6 days of swimming a week doing amazing sprints and intervals is making my body into a godlike physique that swimmers are. Best form of exercise that anyone can do if they want upper body physique. 90% of propulsion in the water is from the arms, lats, upper body etc, 10% legs with it's main focus is buoyancy. loving swim, everyone...

This is what I look like after a hard night of binge drinking.. I'm actually more defined and my 8 pack sticks out but I can't stop myself from drinking the bud heavy.

oh and my dicks like massive too so this picture doesn't do it justice.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MurderBot posted:

My 6 days of swimming a week doing amazing sprints and intervals is making my body into a godlike physique that swimmers are. Best form of exercise that anyone can do if they want upper body physique. 90% of propulsion in the water is from the arms, lats, upper body etc, 10% legs with it's main focus is buoyancy. loving swim, everyone...

This is what I look like after a hard night of binge drinking.. I'm actually more defined and my 8 pack sticks out but I can't stop myself from drinking the bud heavy.

oh and my dicks like massive too so this picture doesn't do it justice.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

I love to swim but I would rather lift.

edit: I'm jealous of your D

edit edit: my D i mean dick

edit edit edit: also pecs

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 19, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe it's just my untrained eye, but this looks like an accident waiting to happen.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
As far as swimming goes I never feel like my legs really do anything on say... any stroke. Is that normal? I feel like no propulsion at all.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pretty much. Try using a kick board and putting your head underwater and act like a pencil, make very stiff but fluid kicks and you don't go that fast... The legs are incredibly important as far as being streamline and reducing drag, and essentially do very little in the amount of actually making you move forward... Keep that in mind though, as if you have feet that drag you're gonna be slow as gently caress.

Legs are pretty important in the butterfly and the breast stroke actually.. more emphasis on the power there and do quite a bit more than the freestyle.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Oh okay good info to know, I was feeling pretty lovely about my freestyle. Sidestroke and breast stroke are my best strokes as far as sprinting, but I have to work alot harder with them for endurance than I do with freestyle. I can't butterfly to save my life though.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, swimming is the one sport that no matter how much effort you put into it, you can make yourself go slower by working harder. It's a very very technical skill, and you don't necessarily have to be in godlike olympiad form to swim a decent lap time.

And butterfly is just awkward as gently caress. completely different movements that involve essentially kipping/dolphin kicking with your legs and a wide flailing arm motion with a push in the water to help keep you up. I think the first time I attempted the butterfly they probably thought I was having a seizure in the water.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Yeah I just can't seem to get the hang of that all with the dolphin kick but I'm not swimming for anyone except myself so it's like why bother. It's a great workout even without and I always feel way better than when I lift or run. Eventually when my spine and knees disintegrate and all the cortizone leaks out of my ankles, all I'll be able to do is swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm starting to get stretch marks where my biceps, delts, and pecs meet near the armpit. Mostly on my biceps. Is there any way for me to stop from having my alabaster skin ruined? I really don't want to stop my swoleness from getting swollier.