Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

The only thing I can't do on Test that I can elsewhere is raid, and I don't want to raid, so Test it stays.

Hell, with enough goons on test, and all of them 4 boxing, that's a raid force right there. (albeit a really weak one with a ton of shamans and bards)

One thing that helps with testcopy is to have a character that you testcopy over to restock yourself on things you might need. I'm talking poisons, potions, trade skill ingredients, power sources, armor combines, and money. Then when you run out on test, just login to the live servers and /testcopy the mule back over and throw it all in the shared bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cycomatix posted:

Hell, with enough goons on test, and all of them 4 boxing, that's a raid force right there. (albeit a really weak one with a ton of shamans and bards)

One thing that helps with testcopy is to have a character that you testcopy over to restock yourself on things you might need. I'm talking poisons, potions, trade skill ingredients, power sources, armor combines, and money. Then when you run out on test, just login to the live servers and /testcopy the mule back over and throw it all in the shared bank.

Interesting way to game the system there; duly noted.

Since it was briefly mentioned in the above post, what are Power Sources? This is something that came about after I quit playing 10+ years ago and now have no understand of other than it is the one empty slot on my characters. Could anyone fill me on in the use of/mechanics of Power Sources?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They are consumables that give extra stats to your visible armor. The stats they change depend on the type of power source (metal power sources give lots of AC for example), and is affected by the purity stat on your armor. Most higher level armor has a special aug slot for purity increasing augs. The maximum purity could be was 100 (75 on raid armor plus 25 from an aug), but the most recent expansion has 30 purity augs. Some better power sources are sealed, and your character needs to be flagged by finishing one of a few older raids to be able to use them. Power sources will slowly decay from 100% to 0%, but only while your character is in combat, so you don't need to unequip them when you're just standing around. At 0%, they stop giving stats and need to be replaced.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Are there any gameplay downsides to Test besides the lack of raiding?

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Power sources give you stat bonuses that are tied to your visible armor's purity rating. You've probably seen some of the armor with a second augment slot for purity augs. Basically, the higher purity your armor is, the better the stat bonuses are. Power sources degrade over time while you're in combat, so you have to replace them every once in a while, but a few of them boost your AC a bit or give you some procs or resistances. Some will lower some stats while boosting others, but most gear will put you far above the cap to really notice that. I'm no expert since power sources were after I initially stopped playing, but my understanding is that the only ones really worth getting are the Stone and Metal power sources, since the AC gain is pretty nice. If you have a high pottery skill, you can craft some, but some of the higher level ones require you to have completed one raid past Seeds of Expansion.

You can get by without them though, I just found them useful for squeezing every last ounce of AC I can out of my tank.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

In reality, you just buy Sealed Translucent Energeian XXX Orb on the Bazaar or from another player. They can also be crafted, or bought with an old Katta currency and requires faction to do so. You can read about them here:

http://www.eqwiki.net/wiki/Combine_Power_Sources - List of relative bonuses each type gives (scroll down to Translucent Orbs)
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=Sealed+Translucent+Energeian - List of sealed orbs (that you buy, then right-click to turn into an actual equippable Power Source)

I think most melee use Elemental Orb (AC/HP), and most casters use Light Orb (AC, HP, Mana), I do at least. Some of the types are really crappy.

Vomik posted:

Are there any gameplay downsides to Test besides the lack of raiding?
I would say the downsides are the following:

- Slightly lower population than some of the largest Live servers
- Wack economy, almost empty bazaar, some items way overpriced because they know that people can just copy over plat. You have to forego the usually fun (IMO) aspect of money hoarding and careful spending. One upside though is that some generous people deliberately copy over good recent stuff (and also old twink stuff) and sell it for pennies, so you can sometimes get lucky and gear up fast, plus it's easy to level tradeskills with endless plat. A nice guy constantly lists multiple sets of the Rustic VoA Armor items, and I could equip my whole 4-box team for maybe 150k plat, which is a drop in the bucket for me. This is all an up- or downside depending on how you look at it.
- You get patches earlier, which may break your UI. It's good to be able to hack it yourself, but this shouldn't hurt you that much.

But all in all.... FREE GOLD!

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I tried /testcopy on 2 of my characters and it just says "Test copy: move error". Went to test and my characters aren't there. I'm hoping it is a temporary thing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I'll make the offer to testcopy over little carepacks to you test goons again. I can ship over packs of: (listed by character)

~2m plat, 3k dream motes, an Amulet of Necropotence, a Manastone, a stack of Pure Light orbs, lots of 14 slot bags and/or TS items, and whatever random things I have from exping.

An AoN, Circlet of Shadows, a stack of pure Metal orbs, a Bioluminescent Orb, L90 arrow summoning quiver.

My trader with whatever random stuff I'm trying to sell (RoF random drop gear and Eternal Grove crap) plus some plat.

Contact me at xegony.illa, or post in thread with your name and what you want. I'll copy over and send stuff when I can.

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table

jetz0r posted:

I'll make the offer to testcopy over little carepacks to you test goons again. I can ship over packs of: (listed by character)

~2m plat, 3k dream motes, an Amulet of Necropotence, a Manastone, a stack of Pure Light orbs, lots of 14 slot bags and/or TS items, and whatever random things I have from exping.

An AoN, Circlet of Shadows, a stack of pure Metal orbs, a Bioluminescent Orb, L90 arrow summoning quiver.

My trader with whatever random stuff I'm trying to sell (RoF random drop gear and Eternal Grove crap) plus some plat.

Contact me at xegony.illa, or post in thread with your name and what you want. I'll copy over and send stuff when I can.

Would love a little boost if you don't mind. Mostly the plat, bags and gear. Got an up-and-coming team of guys and really no presence on Live anymore so I'm kinda boned for equipping them given the ruined Test economy.

My main on Test is named Burz (85 SK). Can get at you in-game if you want but won't be home for a few hours.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

jetz0r posted:

How often can you testcopy?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Vomik posted:

About once a day, as long as its working.
Edit: not working right now.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 9, 2013

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

jetz0r posted:

About once a day, as long as its working.

Thanks I may hit you up today or tomorrow for the plat, an AON, circlet of shadows, and dream motes if you have the availability to testcopy. Also if you have any 80+ SK gear.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does /testcopy work from Firiona Vie? I assume the appropriate stuff turns nodrop, but I keep all the insane stuff I've already picked up?

I'm probably moving over to Test from FV as well, assuming it works with ISBoxer - the gleam has worn off on being on FV. Playing with the bazaar with all that crazy stuff was fun, but I'll never accumulate enough plat to buy the really great toys.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Test works perfectly with ISBoxer, no tie-in with a specific patch, unless they somehow greatly overhaul the fundamentals of the EQ client.

Vomik posted:

Every 8 hours precisely, when it's working... has worked fine in late December for me, people in general chat are saying it's not working right now as well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Take a bow to this awesome robe I just found with the Whistling Fists robe look. :D

It's called Quentin's Outfit, random drop from a HoT mission. Its stats are a bit worse than my Glorious cultural chest, but that one looks like a newbie leather chest. I'm gonna wear this forever, or until they implement real cosmetic slots. So nice to yet again see my monk run around in a robe. :)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

jetz0r posted:

Awesome.

I'd love to get: AoN, manastone, circlet of shadows, biolumunescent orb, 14 slot bags, random RoF gear, the arrow summoning quiver, dream motes, and the 2m plat if it's not too much trouble.

On test as Funzoe.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Looking cool is far more important than stats. :colbert:

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

jetz0r posted:

I never was very good as making the money. I would absolutely love some plat, and anything else you feel like donating to my up and coming 70s.
Also, I'm always in goontest channel and up for grouping with new and regulars around 60s and 70s. I also have a druid for lowbie buffs.

Ingame names: Unfortunately, Oldtekka and Dubstep.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Test has a slightly lower population? By slightly, do you mean. . 1/10th?

:colbert:

Also this Krono thing is hilarious and I'm sure will not go over as well as they planned.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Pon de Bundy posted:

Test has a slightly lower population? By slightly, do you mean. . 1/10th?

:colbert:

Also this Krono thing is hilarious and I'm sure will not go over as well as they planned.
If general chat count is anything to go by it's like half, but who knows how accurate a measure that is. Just sayin' that it doesn't really feel like a tenth when running around PoK, listening to general chat and the like.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

If general chat count is anything to go by it's like half, but who knows how accurate a measure that is. Just sayin' that it doesn't really feel like a tenth when running around PoK, listening to general chat and the like.

We must also take into consideration the amount of people who are schizo and boxing 18 different accounts who are actually just 1 person. Test I believe is actually just one big Mormon family playing together.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pon de Bundy posted:

We must also take into consideration the amount of people who are schizo and boxing 18 different accounts who are actually just 1 person. Test I believe is actually just one big Mormon family playing together.

And we're all sour grapes that Romney lost the election.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Devor posted:

Does /testcopy work from Firiona Vie? I assume the appropriate stuff turns nodrop, but I keep all the insane stuff I've already picked up?

I'm probably moving over to Test from FV as well, assuming it works with ISBoxer - the gleam has worn off on being on FV. Playing with the bazaar with all that crazy stuff was fun, but I'll never accumulate enough plat to buy the really great toys.

Yes, indeed it works from FV. Pon de Bundy helped me get the normally nodrop Abstruse Remnants so I've created nearly a dozen sets of Abstruse armor (level 80 HoT) all from that one set he purchased, since I just give the remnants to new chars to testcopy over.

jetz0r posted:

I can go after everyone else gets their copy, but I'll take the plat (because why not), the manastone (because), bags and TS items, and a bio orb. Please send to Mnight Shamanlan whenever you get a chance. What's the metal orb for?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

revenance: I wrote a bit about orbs (they turn into Power Sources for the Power Source equipment slot) just a few posts up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3472675&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post411350540

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Pilsner posted:

revenance: I wrote a bit about orbs (they turn into Power Sources for the Power Source equipment slot) just a few posts up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3472675&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post411350540

Yeah I saw the light orbs, but didn't notice metal orbs in that post, unless they fall under the crappy category you mentioned?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

revenance posted:

Yes, indeed it works from FV. Pon de Bundy helped me get the normally nodrop Abstruse Remnants so I've created nearly a dozen sets of Abstruse armor (level 80 HoT) all from that one set he purchased, since I just give the remnants to new chars to testcopy over.

This is genious. Those remnant's aren't THAT pricey. I could probably buy a set of these with the 70k or whatever I have farmed on FV.

Any other awesome things to consider picking up on FV?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Pilsner posted:

Take a bow to this awesome robe I just found with the Whistling Fists robe look. :D

It's called Quentin's Outfit, random drop from a HoT mission. Its stats are a bit worse than my Glorious cultural chest, but that one looks like a newbie leather chest. I'm gonna wear this forever, or until they implement real cosmetic slots. So nice to yet again see my monk run around in a robe. :)

Oh my god I'm farming for the rest of my life until I get that

Edit - cool it drops off of a guy in SS, too

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When I'm picking up Remnants for HoT armor, is there any reason not to get the higher tier versions of the group or raid remnants? Some of these higher tiers are still pretty cheap, and it looks like with infinite platinum on Test, it's easy enough to craft using the bought items.

Edit: Just realized the higher tiers have higher level requirements too. Thought I checked that - oops!

Devor fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 10, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nope, if you meet the level reqs might as well make them. IIRC anything past tier 1 is nodrop though unless they changed that. I have a shitload of T4s in the bank if they're droppable now that you can have.

SK proc topic: While reading this thread (http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5175) I found out bard and presumably shaman procs decrease the amount of ToTC procs. Any of you other SKs know if that's still the case? If so I need to seriously change the way my bard plays

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

revenance posted:

Yeah I saw the light orbs, but didn't notice metal orbs in that post, unless they fall under the crappy category you mentioned?

Let me change his two links:

http://dukelatan.angelfire.com/RAID_ENERGIANS.html
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=Sealed+pure+Energeian

I only deal in raid orbs. It's not too hard to get a group together to beat Clankwrench in steam factory to get flaged for Pure orbs. And the benefit is worth it if you're using power sources in the first place.

If you guys want to do a real retro raid night and clear Solteris, then you can use the Katta vendors to buy orbs for Phosphites and sell used ones back (buy 10 get 1 free!).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Clankwrench is one of the few things I've been really needing to do forever and never actually done it. Anyone else on Test interested? His damage looks pretty trivial for Kodaji but we'd need a couple healers since I'm assuming no mercs.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747

jetz0r posted:

I'd really appreciate the plat, bags, ect.(anything useful). I'm 4 boxing a 83 Sk, 81 Bard, 68 Wiz, and a 68 Mage. I played EQ from Kunark to PoP so some of the newer items I'm not familiar with, but anything you think I'd need I'll take. Name in game is Yomofo. Thanks again for doing this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yay! Got my account unbanned! Sure, it's just a lvl 60ish cleric, and has gear from 2004, but it's a moral victory!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Clankwrench is one of the few things I've been really needing to do forever and never actually done it. Anyone else on Test interested? His damage looks pretty trivial for Kodaji but we'd need a couple healers since I'm assuming no mercs.

No mercs, best setup needs one real tank and healer, plus one offtank and some dps. At 95 with slippry, his dps was low enough to barely need heals. Firing off shm group heals as it refreshes should be enough. I have a feeling it's really close to being soloable by a well equipped SK.

You guys asking me for stuff should probably send me an email in game, since there's about a week's worth of transfers backed up already. And I'm not going to find your names once the thread moves a couple pages up.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

jetz0r posted:

No mercs, best setup needs one real tank and healer, plus one offtank and some dps. At 95 with slippry, his dps was low enough to barely need heals. Firing off shm group heals as it refreshes should be enough. I have a feeling it's really close to being soloable by a well equipped SK.

You guys asking me for stuff should probably send me an email in game, since there's about a week's worth of transfers backed up already. And I'm not going to find your names once the thread moves a couple pages up.

If you do happen to have gold, and not full char slots, its really easy to just trade to a noob character and /testcopy after you zone or recamp and trade back to the mule. Rinse and repeat and you can be done in minutes between each xfer. I did that with some junk defiant and old timey weapons when the holiday gave me gold on Live.

EDIT: Also, thank you for your awesome and generous offer.

w1ntermute fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 10, 2013

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

jetz0r posted:

That would be fan-loving-tastic if you could copy over some plat, dream motes, an Amulet of Necropotence, and a Manastone. It seems there's quite a queue, but when you get a chance, my necro, Thalyn, would be most appreciative.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Wicked, that's about how Alla made it sound. If those adds really only hit for 3500ish, my monk should be fine offtanking them. I'd imagine a 100 SK with decent gear could probably solo the whole thing

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Wicked, that's about how Alla made it sound. If those adds really only hit for 3500ish, my monk should be fine offtanking them. I'd imagine a 100 SK with decent gear could probably solo the whole thing

Yeah, those are max hits for SoF mobs, which means they really hit for about nothing if you have good ac. If you can gather up enough testgoon SKs to keep lich sting going the whole time, it would be completely trivial. Then you can all use metal orbs for more ac!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Devor posted:

This is genious. Those remnant's aren't THAT pricey. I could probably buy a set of these with the 70k or whatever I have farmed on FV.

Any other awesome things to consider picking up on FV?

Spell turn-in items are real cheap. I think those are normally no drop?

edit: just looked it up and they're tradeable. They're plentiful and cheap on FV tho. Look for no drop augmentations too. Can save you lots of time grabbing cheap over-farmed AC augs.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jetz0r posted:

Can you explain what precisely needs to be done to be able to buy those Pure Orbs?