Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cromlech posted:

Are there ANY good podcast apps on Android? Trying to find something that can just download a backlog, play through lock, and not be a piece of poo poo is a pain. I don't even necessarily want to subscribe to anything, just download podcasts here and there. And some are just flat out missing from a search, while on my Windows Phone the base app has all those shows.
I love GoodNews but it doesn't sound like it'd fit your needs given you have to do most of the management stuff from Google Reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cromlech posted:

Are there ANY good podcast apps on Android? Trying to find something that can just download a backlog, play through lock, and not be a piece of poo poo is a pain. I don't even necessarily want to subscribe to anything, just download podcasts here and there. And some are just flat out missing from a search, while on my Windows Phone the base app has all those shows.

I haven't had BeyondPod fail to find any podcasts with its built in search.

T.J.Brooker
Sep 29, 2008
Is there an android music player which I can control from my PC? A lot of apps exist that work the other way round. I like to sit on my laptop and have my phone plugged into my music system, but hate having to get up to change the song every time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

T.J.Brooker posted:

Is there an android music player which I can control from my PC? A lot of apps exist that work the other way round. I like to sit on my laptop and have my phone plugged into my music system, but hate having to get up to change the song every time.

Airdroid can do that, and much more.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cromlech posted:

I am a big fan of BeyondPod. The way they handle updates is pretty awesome, Basically you subscribe, tell it how many episodes you want to keep on hand, tell it to update while you sleep and you're done

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Airdroid can do that, and much more.

Yeah Airdroid is pretty much built around the idea of controlling your phone while not having to get up from wherever you're lounging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hmm, I'm not sure when they slipped it in, but I'm noticing that if I clear G+ notifications on the desktop, they are clearing on my phone as well. That's certainly new (and welcomed) behavior.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure when they slipped it in, but I'm noticing that if I clear G+ notifications on the desktop, they are clearing on my phone as well. That's certainly new (and welcomed) behavior.

Yeah, I noticed that sometime recently as well. Maybe within the past week?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

If only Facebook would get the loving memo.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

sirbeefalot posted:

If only Facebook would get the loving memo.

Facebook only just started delivering notifications to my phone less than 3 hours after the event occurred (with the launch of the native app I believe) - one step at a time!

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Can someone recommend an app for sending texts? I was using GO SMS Pro but I think things are starting to get funky-text messages being unsent, etc.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Biggie Shorty posted:

Can someone recommend an app for sending texts? I was using GO SMS Pro but I think things are starting to get funky-text messages being unsent, etc.
Messaging?

By which I mean: you would probably need to tell us what is wrong with the stock app before we can suggest something else.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

Messaging?

By which I mean: you would probably need to tell us what is wrong with the stock app before we can suggest something else.

I switched from the stock app because it wasn't timestamping my messages.

I just tried sending a text with the stock app and it still isn't going through. I have little to no signal but I am connected to Wi-Fi. Does texting not take that into account?

***for the record I have an LG Optimus Elite Running 2.3.7

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Biggie Shorty posted:

I just tried sending a text with the stock app and it still isn't going through. I have little to no signal but I am connected to Wi-Fi. Does texting not take that into account?

Texting is sent over the cellular network only. Well except a few carriers worldwide, but you probably aren't on one of them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I noticed that sometime recently as well. Maybe within the past week?

Longer than that, I think it happened roughly around the time when they released Communities. But yeah, it's been really nice.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Biggie Shorty posted:

I switched from the stock app because it wasn't timestamping my messages.

***for the record I have an LG Optimus Elite Running 2.3.7

The only reason why it might go through on GoSMS Pro when you don't have a signal is because it's being routed through a remote server in China as a "feature". I think somewhere in the options you can disable that, it's call Go Texting or Go Cloud Texting or some such.

Try using ChompSMS instead? But yeah, generally speaking you need a cell signal to send texts.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Install Gentoo posted:

Texting is sent over the cellular network only. Well except a few carriers worldwide, but you probably aren't on one of them.

Or use Google Voice.

For full effect, Google Voice + GoSMS + Full GV Integration app

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What's the latest thing for tethering? I'm going to be out not around wifi and it'd really be nice to be able to tether for some internet stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
I'm going to be exchanging my GS3 since there's this flickering issue whenever I type on the keyboard and I think it's hardware related. Im within the 14 day period so i hope its painless and fast. Anyways, I already bought about :10bux: worth of apps. Will I have to repurchase them for when I get a new GS3 phone, even if i'm using the same google account?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Avocados posted:

I'm going to be returning my GS3 since there's this flickering issue whenever I type on the keyboard and I think it's hardware related. Im within the 14 day period so i hope its painless and fast. Anyways, I already bought about :10bux: worth of apps. Will I have to repurchase them for when I get a new phone, even if i'm using the same google account?

Nope, buy once and just download them again so long as they're still on the market. Ironically the free apps don't get remembered (or didn't last time I switched phones) so you'll have to work to get all those back. Might be worth getting some screen shots or emailing yourself links to ones you will want again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Midjack posted:

Ironically the free apps don't get remembered (or didn't last time I switched phones) so you'll have to work to get all those back.

They should do these days

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

dissss posted:

They should do these days

They do, I had to manually delete a bunch that I didn't need on my new phone from the my apps list.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What's the latest thing for tethering? I'm going to be out not around wifi and it'd really be nice to be able to tether for some internet stuff.

Most ROMs now include tethering. CM 10.1 for example just go to settings > under data usage press more... > then tethering and portable hotspot

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Midjack posted:

Nope, buy once and just download them again so long as they're still on the market. Ironically the free apps don't get remembered (or didn't last time I switched phones) so you'll have to work to get all those back. Might be worth getting some screen shots or emailing yourself links to ones you will want again.

When I got my Note 2 the All screen in the my apps section was pretty helpful. It had all the free apps I have essentially ever had so there was quite a bit of filtering and scrolling but better than having to write down what I had on my old phone and then searching.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google still has a long way to go when it comes to managing apps on the Play website. It's a hell of a lot better than it used to be, but would it kill them to have a way to select multiple to queue install?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Avocados posted:

I'm going to be exchanging my GS3 since there's this flickering issue whenever I type on the keyboard and I think it's hardware related. Im within the 14 day period so i hope its painless and fast. Anyways, I already bought about :10bux: worth of apps. Will I have to repurchase them for when I get a new GS3 phone, even if i'm using the same google account?

Is this flickering only happening in the stock Messaging app? I've noticed that, and I don't think it's a hardware issue because it only happens in the Messaging app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google still has a long way to go when it comes to managing apps on the Play website. It's a hell of a lot better than it used to be, but would it kill them to have a way to select multiple to queue install?

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/149323

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

(if you're on Chrome)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo

This is the only way I can use the Play Store now. It breaks up things into per phone/paid/free. I wish I didn't need a script for it though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So I'm loving the concept of the keymonk keyboard, but I find I'm having to learn how to retype in android. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just a heads up, I don't know how many of you goons use Fitocracy or are into fitness logging/etc... but the fitocracy android app was just released. Very awesome.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitocracy.app

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

rotaryfun posted:

Just a heads up, I don't know how many of you goons use Fitocracy or are into fitness logging/etc... but the fitocracy android app was just released. Very awesome.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitocracy.app

I do! Thanks! I had no idea this was coming.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Subterfrugal posted:

So I'm loving the concept of the keymonk keyboard, but I find I'm having to learn how to retype in android. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

I like it a lot, usually I use my hardware keyboard but when I have to type in portrait it becomes really useful.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I cannot seem to find a way to use the talk app with anything other than the main account the phone was setup in, and all I can find is some shady rear end looking apps in a brief search around on google. Are there any apps that are decent that can handle multiple google accounts and the chat stuff tied them?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Synnr posted:

I cannot seem to find a way to use the talk app with anything other than the main account the phone was setup in, and all I can find is some shady rear end looking apps in a brief search around on google. Are there any apps that are decent that can handle multiple google accounts and the chat stuff tied them?
I've only got one account, but it looks like you can switch by hitting the dropdown with your account name on it. Also, if you use the "up" button, you can get to the accounts screen and probably switch from there.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've only got one account, but it looks like you can switch by hitting the dropdown with your account name on it. Also, if you use the "up" button, you can get to the accounts screen and probably switch from there.

I've come to understand that only past certain versions this works. It certainly doesn't on my droid x. There isn't a dropdown menu like the gmail app has.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Synnr posted:

I've come to understand that only past certain versions this works. It certainly doesn't on my droid x. There isn't a dropdown menu like the gmail app has.

I have a dropdown, but if I keep hitting the Talk icon I get back to the accounts screen, where I can set my status(es) and add accounts with a button at the top. Do you at least have that screen?

And I don't really know how this works with non-stock, can't you upgrade the basic Google apps through the play store? Or is it only certain ones that allow it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Talk app hasn't been broken out in the play store yet.

Droid X is a Gingerbread phone. The major Talk enhancements came in ICS.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have suggestions for a note taking app that will accept hand written notes with a stylus? Starting back to class next week and I was wanting to just take notes on my new nexus 7.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well, are there any recommended apps otherwise that can handle the job in place of the talk app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I haven't actually used anything else, but imo seems to be pretty popular these days.

bull3964 posted:

The Talk app hasn't been broken out in the play store yet.

Droid X is a Gingerbread phone. The major Talk enhancements came in ICS.

Ah right, makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a good price on NFC tags? I want to nab some for "when my phone is on/near this tag, go completely silent" with Tasker.

• Locked thread