Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Red posted:

Dredd comes out tomorrow on Blu-Ray. Is it worth dropping the $19.99 now, or should I wait a week for it to drop further?

Usually the first week is when stuff is cheaper. At least that has been my experience of things with Best Buy. Usually after that first week the prices jump slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

There's also a thing that pops up on the register asking if the buyer is 18 or older. Same with rated M games.

Is this a new thing or just a thing that's hardly enforced? I used to buy all sorts of R-rated movies when I was a kid and no one said poo poo.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Is this a new thing or just a thing that's hardly enforced? I used to buy all sorts of R-rated movies when I was a kid and no one said poo poo.

It's a newer-ish thing and it seems like unless you look very very young no cashier is going to hassle you over it. Usually most of them just type in a bullshit birthdate when the register prompts them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

It's a newer-ish thing and it seems like unless you look very very young no cashier is going to hassle you over it. Usually most of them just type in a bullshit birthdate when the register prompts them.

Well to be fair I was going back to the era of VHS on that one. :corsair:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ApexAftermath posted:

Usually the first week is when stuff is cheaper. At least that has been my experience of things with Best Buy. Usually after that first week the prices jump slightly.

You shouldn't be buying from Best Buy. They use the MSRP of blu-rays most of the time, which is a massive rip-off.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

GonSmithe posted:

You shouldn't be buying from Best Buy. They use the MSRP of blu-rays most of the time, which is a massive rip-off.

If you go into a brick and mortar one you can sometimes find some pretty sweet random deals. I got the Coen Bros box set for $20 months before amazon had the same deal. Also got Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2, and Evil Dead 2 for a total of like $16.

But, yeah usually they aren't where you should be getting your movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

If you go into a brick and mortar one you can sometimes find some pretty sweet random deals. I got the Coen Bros box set for $20 months before amazon had the same deal. Also got Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2, and Evil Dead 2 for a total of like $16.

But, yeah usually they aren't where you should be getting your movies.

Oddly enough I've gotten a whole bunch of Blu-rays at cheaper than amazon prices at FYE. That place is such a price gouge palace, but they have a lot of good deals mixed in too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

GonSmithe posted:

To be fair about Best Buy, they've been the ones forcing Amazon to price-match the recent Trek Blu-ray sets.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Aatrek posted:

To be fair about Best Buy, they've been the ones forcing Amazon to price-match the recent Trek Blu-ray sets.

Yeah, that's why I said most of the time. Best Buy seems to have a thing for releasing TV shows at REALLY LOW prices and forcing Amazon to match them. Same thing happened with Game of Thrones season 1, and will probably happen with Season 2 too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Well to be fair I was going back to the era of VHS on that one. :corsair:

Haha, I remember getting turned away when I tried to buy Halo in 2001 (around 13)

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Oddly enough I've gotten a whole bunch of Blu-rays at cheaper than amazon prices at FYE. That place is such a price gouge palace, but they have a lot of good deals mixed in too.

I came across an FYE around christmas and had no idea they still existed. They even had a vinyl section because obviously trying to keep a business afloat by selling CDs is absurd at this point.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Well I was just talking about "first week" prices. Usually my experience is that the first week of a blu being out their prices will be right in line or better than what Amazon is offering(most of the time). For example they will have Dredd tomorrow for exactly the same price that Amazon is offering it for. You might want to re-examine your outlook on BB.

Yeah after the first week things shoot up, but you have to be stupid or crazy to be buying stuff at BB that isn't a first week deal or just something on sale.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Amazon has a preorder page for Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One already, and it's starting at $83.99 (MSRP $129.99).

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 8, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know how many Eagles fans are in here but it looks like their 2004 release of Farewell: Live From Melbourne is finally getting a Blu-Ray release.

It's noteworthy since it's one of the few titles that didn't make the jump from HD-DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR1G3FS...96JGT7DT7HN9CYQ

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

I don't know how many Eagles fans are in here but it looks like their 2004 release of Farewell: Live From Melbourne is finally getting a Blu-Ray release.

It's noteworthy since it's one of the few titles that didn't make the jump from HD-DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AR1G3FS...96JGT7DT7HN9CYQ
FINALLY. This was one of the few remaining HD-DVD titles in my collection preventing me from putting away my player and having some free space in my AV cabinet. Now Universal just needs to finish matching the last few HD-DVD exclusives and I can move on.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Amazon has a preorder page for Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One already, and it's starting at $83.99 (MSRP $129.99).

Your link is a little messed up. Here's a better one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019N95IK/

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Your link is a little messed up. Here's a better one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019N95IK/

The heads on that cover... they are so disturbing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Random thought: Why is there no Blu-Ray thread icon?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ApexAftermath posted:

Well I was just talking about "first week" prices. Usually my experience is that the first week of a blu being out their prices will be right in line or better than what Amazon is offering(most of the time). For example they will have Dredd tomorrow for exactly the same price that Amazon is offering it for. You might want to re-examine your outlook on BB.

Yeah after the first week things shoot up, but you have to be stupid or crazy to be buying stuff at BB that isn't a first week deal or just something on sale.

Speaking of Dredd, I was just at HMV during my lunch break, and decided to pick it up. It was $22.49, but that was for the 3D Blu Ray/Blu Ray combo. That's actually a fairly low price for a 3DBR, but I noticed that HMV didn't have standard Blu Ray-only copies for sale. The had the DVD, and the 3DBR combo pack. Is this movie available in a non-3D blu ray?

I have a 3D-TV, so this didn't discourage me, but if there isn't a blu-ray only version, I could see this discouraging a lot of people from buying it. I know that a lot of people didn't see this in the theatres because the only showings were in 3D.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Speaking of Dredd, I was just at HMV during my lunch break, and decided to pick it up. It was $22.49, but that was for the 3D Blu Ray/Blu Ray combo. That's actually a fairly low price for a 3DBR, but I noticed that HMV didn't have standard Blu Ray-only copies for sale. The had the DVD, and the 3DBR combo pack. Is this movie available in a non-3D blu ray?

I have a 3D-TV, so this didn't discourage me, but if there isn't a blu-ray only version, I could see this discouraging a lot of people from buying it. I know that a lot of people didn't see this in the theatres because the only showings were in 3D.

Yeah, Dredd is only available in the 3DBR/BR combo pack, because it was advertised basically everywhere as Dredd 3D.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Studios seem to slowly be moving into the direction of only having one version which comes with both 3D and non-3D Blurays in the same package similar to a lot of Blurays only coming in a version of the packaging that includes the DVD copy. Probably a good idea in the long run because it will end up with a bunch of people originally unsold on the idea suddenly realizing they own a bunch of 3D Blurays already when their current TV dies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is this movie available in a non-3D blu ray?

Yeah, the 3D Blu-ray version plays in 2D if you want it to. All the Blu-rays are the non-3D version (they're just also the 3D version).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Red posted:

Random thought: Why is there no Blu-Ray thread icon?

I made the original tag, so I just made to go with it. I'm seeing about getting it added to the forums now.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 9, 2013

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Well, my "2012" copy of Zodiac came today from Amazon even though the product vanished for a while and has now reappeared with no option to order.

I say "2012" because there is no indication that this blu ray is not one of the original pressings. All the copyright and year info either says 2007 or 2009.

What are the chances I lucked out and magically got sent an old Zodiac?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

rear end Catchcum posted:

What are the chances I lucked out and magically got sent an old Zodiac?

If I recall, there was an issue that third party Amazon vendors were sending the UK blu of Zodiac. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for you, but it's something you may want to investigate.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
How can I tell?

Down at the bottom on the back there is

Blu Ray Disc Dolby True HD R rating info then 14A video (yellow dot, seems to be canadian rating system?) then the date and run time.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

How can I tell?

Down at the bottom on the back there is

Blu Ray Disc Dolby True HD R rating info then 14A video (yellow dot, seems to be canadian rating system?) then the date and run time.
Put it in your blu-ray player, and if it plays, its probably not the UK version (unless you have a region-free player).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Would that prove it? Aren't some UK Blu rays region free?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yes, of course it's region free (everything from WB is), or US sellers wouldn't be selling a disc that couldn't be played.

2008 UK release: Warner Bros, lossy Dolby Digital audio, French/German/Italian/Spanish dubs, 19.81Mbps VC-1, extras on same disc as movie, region free.
2009 US release: Paramount, lossless Dolby TrueHD audio, English only, 38.11Mbps H.264, extras on second disc, region free.

The MPAA, Canadian and TrueHD logos and 2009 date all seem to indicate the US release, but if you've only got one disc then maybe the 2012 releases just remove the extras disc.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 9, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Nope, there is no regular Blu-Ray for Dredd. Just the DVD and 3DBR combo pack. I agree it totally sucks and it almost as bad as the Avengers digital copy only being included with the mega 3D pack which was $37 CDN on release (I like to have some of my movies in iTunes for mobile watching). At least the pricing is reasonable for Dredd.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Nope, there is no regular Blu-Ray for Dredd. Just the DVD and 3DBR combo pack. I agree it totally sucks and it almost as bad as the Avengers digital copy only being included with the mega 3D pack which was $37 CDN on release (I like to have some of my movies in iTunes for mobile watching). At least the pricing is reasonable for Dredd.

Speaking of The Avengers, I did end up buying the mega 3D pack (even though I don't have 3D), if only because it had the original poster art, which is pretty cool:

As opposed to the normal Blu-ray package, which has this monstrosity:

However, I think at the time they were both the same price (date of release on Amazon), so I just kind of upgraded in order to try and avoid the annoying trend of terrible DVD cover art.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Marvel's The Avengers Marvel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hewlett posted:

As opposed to the normal Blu-ray package, which has this monstrosity:

"Hmm, Chris Evans is growing a beard for his next movie, so we had to cover his face during the shawerma scene. But now we need him in the studio to shoot a new Avengers poster for the blu-ray! What can we do..."

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Steve Yun posted:

"Hmm, Chris Evans is growing a beard for his next movie, so we had to cover his face during the shawerma scene. But now we need him in the studio to shoot a new Avengers poster for the blu-ray! What can we do..."

I'm more disturbed by RDJ's tiny head than anything else.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

Yes, of course it's region free (everything from WB is), or US sellers wouldn't be selling a disc that couldn't be played.

2008 UK release: Warner Bros, lossy Dolby Digital audio, French/German/Italian/Spanish dubs, 19.81Mbps VC-1, extras on same disc as movie, region free.
2009 US release: Paramount, lossless Dolby TrueHD audio, English only, 38.11Mbps H.264, extras on second disc, region free.

The MPAA, Canadian and TrueHD logos and 2009 date all seem to indicate the US release, but if you've only got one disc then maybe the 2012 releases just remove the extras disc.

Two disc. I guess they somehow sent me the old out of print Zodiac release. Awesome.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Aatrek posted:

I made the original tag, so I just made to go with it. I'm seeing about getting it added to the forums now.

Democracy at work!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, by the way, there's almost certainly going to be a third Star Trek series coming to Blu-ray this year: we're probably looking at a mid-2013 release of the Animated Series.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Two disc. I guess they somehow sent me the old out of print Zodiac release. Awesome.

WB took over distribution for Zodiac (and a ton of other titles) from Paramount, but they aren't changing the releases in any way. There was apparently some stock remaining, and for those BDs WB has just placed a new sticker over the older UPC. For new stock created, the artwork, disc, etc. are all identical, they just have that new UPC and a small WB logo actually printed on the cover instead of the old UPC.

So it doesn't really matter what you get unless someone truly fucks up and sends you the 1-disc UK one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Don't see this posted here yet..

Sony announces 'Mastered in 4K' Blu-ray releases for Spring 2013!

But wait, it's meaningless marketing?

Come on Sony. Maybe try releasing more than 3-4 catalog titles a year instead of this BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Aatrek posted:

Oh, by the way, there's almost certainly going to be a third Star Trek series coming to Blu-ray this year: we're probably looking at a mid-2013 release of the Animated Series.

Oh yeah! Obviously, not much work has to be done for it since it came out in the 70s, so it was all shot on film, but seriously, I just can't imagine it really being worth it on blu-ray. The animation company who did the show really was a terrible company. They cut as many corners as they could during the animation process, and in most scenes, the only thing that moves are the characters mouths. Most action is done via silhouettes, or by having a disembodied arm coming up. And there's a ton of mistakes.

The only thing that made the show worthwhile was the script writing. It had some pretty decent scripts, especially when you consider what most Saturday morning cartoon fare consists of. And the episode with Mudd is a classic one for all the best reasons. Especially if you like your Kirk/Spock homoeroticism turned up to warp 9.

• Locked thread