Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Coughing Hobo posted:

The fox's mood has nothing to do with how much he charges, it's based on your social link rank. At rank 1, per SP restored he charges 60 yen, and each rank lowers the cost by 5, until at rank 10 it's 15 yen.

They were referring to his actual mood, which acts as an additional modifier on top of that. With a low SL rank and an angry fox, you're going to be paying huge fees for recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streyr
May 14, 2006
Penguin God

Zurai posted:

The fox's prices are adjusted by his mood (which is random as far as I know).

It's not random, there are set days for when he's in a certain mood and if you pet him while he's happy you get an outfit for one of the characters to use. There is a guide floating around somewhere of what days to pet him to get the outfits.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Streyr posted:

It's not random, there are set days for when he's in a certain mood and if you pet him while he's happy you get an outfit for one of the characters to use. There is a guide floating around somewhere of what days to pet him to get the outfits.

What, you guys don't pet him every time you're in the TV? Dude always gives me an SP item whenever I do it, so it's usually the first thing I do when I go in.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Just beat the game. Finally.
Really enjoyed the crap out of it. The epilogue was great.
Kanji's look (Really everyone's), Marie as the weather woman, very fun

Sahweet. I can finally read all the spoilers in this thread hahaha.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MrAristocrates posted:

They were referring to his actual mood, which acts as an additional modifier on top of that. With a low SL rank and an angry fox, you're going to be paying huge fees for recovery.

The fox's mood has nothing to do with his prices.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It does, though. An angry fox will overcharge you 130%, a happy fox will charge 100%, and a grumpy fox will charge 110%.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Here's a crazy, crazy thought for how Persona 5 could change things up.

Remember how you had a laundry list of side quests in Persona 4, and some of them tied into the fox's Hermit S.Link?

My crazy idea: have ALL side quests be part of a social link. MINOR ARCANA social links. One for every number and face card of wands, cups, swords and coins. Each individual person you help out is just one link in a chain, and completing them is what buffs up the Shuffle Time minor arcana cards. Once you hit the face cards, unique personas get unlocked (probably for the Fool arcana to keep the fusion tables simple).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Speedball posted:

Remember how you had a laundry list of side quests in Persona 4, and some of them tied into the fox's Hermit S.Link?

My crazy idea: have ALL side quests be part of a social link. MINOR ARCANA social links. One for every number and face card of wands, cups, swords and coins. Each individual person you help out is just one link in a chain, and completing them is what buffs up the Shuffle Time minor arcana cards. Once you hit the face cards, unique personas get unlocked (probably for the Fool arcana to keep the fusion tables simple).

Eh, I dunno, it basically is the same as the current except that it forces you to do sidequests if you want to keep your shuffle time relevant. Sidequests should be stuff you do on the side, not something you feel like you need to do to stay current, IMO. This is doubly so if they're as dumb and irritating as some of the sidequests in P4 (who thought it was a good idea to give out quests for the normal vendor trash items?).

SonicBoom
Jul 12, 2010
One little thing I thought they would do is that (minor weather-related spoilers I guess) the weather channel is always right. I was expecting it to be wrong sometimes, like it is in real life. Maybe I just live in a really weird area where they're wrong half the time. I was positive they were going to gently caress with me using that at some point and they never did. When I stop and think about it I'm not sure how it could have been pulled off without being a huge dick move or completely inconsequential, but still. Or maybe they did and I just didn't notice. :tinfoil:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SonicBoom posted:

One little thing I thought they would do is that (minor weather-related spoilers I guess) the weather channel is always right. I was expecting it to be wrong sometimes, like it is in real life. Maybe I just live in a really weird area where they're wrong half the time. I was positive they were going to gently caress with me using that at some point and they never did. When I stop and think about it I'm not sure how it could have been pulled off without being a huge dick move or completely inconsequential, but still. Or maybe they did and I just didn't notice. :tinfoil:

The Inaba forecast is always right.

Given that the fog-causing rain is the kind that sticks around for a few days, it probably wouldn't hurt anything if they occasionally told you it would be cloudy and it's rainy, since that wouldn't cause enough fog (or if it was sunny, since as far as I know there's very little difference between sunny and cloudy days).

Presumably they didn't to avoid the whole dick move thing, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicBoom posted:

The weather forecast being always right is a concession to gameplay. It being unreliable would make playing the game without a guide a huge loving pain.

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight

Speedball posted:

I personally preferred all the side quests being tethered to the Velvet Room attendant in P3P. It minimized running back and forth and remembering where quest-givers were. I stopped doing quests in P4 at about the halfway point but I completed almost all of them in P3, partly because it was convenient but also, and I'd say more significantly, because I liked to make Elizabeth and Theo happy. I had a connection to the people I was running errands for and, in a game that places a lot of weight on relationships, learning about characters through dialogue becomes an incentive beyond the reward or satisfaction of crossing objectives off a list.

Basically what I'm getting at is most (if not all) side quests should be given by characters who are familiar. I think it could work if non-party s.links gave quests - not as prerequisites to ranking up but just for whatever monetary or item reward you'd normally get and maybe a point or two toward your relationship depending upon how difficult the quest is.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just fused Mara.

Um...well...that's quite a nice chariot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larsson posted:

Just fused Mara.

Remember, it's not a real Mara without Power Charge and Growth 3. :getin:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Ahaha, oh god, Yukiko's "WHAT?!" during her festival event is so completely perfect.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larsson posted:

Just fused Mara.

In P3 he had pierce skills. :unsmigghh:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
It's official, the Reaper hates me.

I encountered him three times in this run but wasn't ready to fight. Now that I am, he just teases the poo poo out of me with his chains.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
So after a bit of grinding, which a Golden Hand certainly helped with and buying stronger equipment...and items...I finally beat Shadow Mitsuo after getting when to guard from elemental attacks down, healing when appropriate and only really risking death at the boss's very last sliver of health. I feel quite proud of myself right now. Also Orange Fluffy Sheep, you were right about getting Chie Black Spot, it really helped to wait until she got it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
While going through Shadow Mitsuo's dungeon I noticed something odd in my status. Rise's lifebar and SP bar went down. How exactly is that possible? The only thing I can think of is that I went to fight the Reaper and shamelessly turned on battle replay, so I could endlessly continue the battle until I won. Could that take it down?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

lotus circle posted:

While going through Shadow Mitsuo's dungeon I noticed something odd in my status. Rise's lifebar and SP bar went down. How exactly is that possible? The only thing I can think of is that I went to fight the Reaper and shamelessly turned on battle replay, so I could endlessly continue the battle until I won. Could that take it down?

I think what happened was that her max HP and SP went up after a level up. When your max HP/SP goes up it's not refilled at all, so it can look like you took damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some sort of list of what answers trigger the romance/dating flag in the female S. Links out there? I want to get Ai's romance events since I haven't seen them yet but there's like seventeen points where that link can go wrong, apparently.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Endorph posted:

Is there some sort of list of what answers trigger the romance/dating flag in the female S. Links out there? I want to get Ai's romance events since I haven't seen them yet but there's like seventeen points where that link can go wrong, apparently.

I got a Lover flag with her at Rank 10 by choosing friend options at both Rank 6 and 7. However, I suspect there might be more than one way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Ai romance is way simpler than people make it out to be

Here's how you not gently caress it up like a doofus:

1) Don't say retardedly mean things, you goober

2) Don't take her up on her offer to date you around Rank 7~. She's not thinking clearly at the time.

That's pretty much it.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Captain Oblivious posted:

1) Don't say retardedly mean things, you goober
You forgot that one early point where you gotta tell Ai to buy her own drat drink. Then again, that isn't retardedly mean, but seeing as most S Links are solved by doing nothing but good things for the person all the way through, this could be a curveball.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Yoshitsune, where have you been all my life :allears:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Goddamnit. I just fused Yoshitsune but I have to grind out 3 more levels before I can use Hassou Tobi. :sigh: Here's hoping I get a shitload of Emperor cards in the shuffle.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Goddamnit. I just fused Yoshitsune but I have to grind out 3 more levels before I can use Hassou Tobi. :sigh: Here's hoping I get a shitload of Emperor cards in the shuffle.

Make sure you grind in the second-to-last dungeon, not the last dungeon. You get more exp there, and you can get shuffles way easier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

psychoticBacofoil posted:

You forgot that one early point where you gotta tell Ai to buy her own drat drink. Then again, that isn't retardedly mean, but seeing as most S Links are solved by doing nothing but good things for the person all the way through, this could be a curveball.

That isn't a make or break point however, which was the topic. You'll lose some points if you don't do that, but it's not one of the MANY AND FEARSOME LINK REVERSE PITFALLS that are so hyped up wrt Moon.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Prism posted:

The Inaba forecast is always right.

Given that the fog-causing rain is the kind that sticks around for a few days, it probably wouldn't hurt anything if they occasionally told you it would be cloudy and it's rainy, since that wouldn't cause enough fog (or if it was sunny, since as far as I know there's very little difference between sunny and cloudy days).

Presumably they didn't to avoid the whole dick move thing, though.

Even that would screw you over because almost no social links are available on rainy days. So if you're planning ahead you're now SOL.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Cake Attack posted:

Make sure you grind in the second-to-last dungeon, not the last dungeon. You get more exp there, and you can get shuffles way easier.

I'm only up to Magatsu Inaba, that's where I'm grinding. I want revenge against the miniboss for tearing me apart. :mad:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Spite posted:

Even that would screw you over because almost no social links are available on rainy days. So if you're planning ahead you're now SOL.

Messing up the rain would, unless it's at evening.

I don't know if there's any mechanical difference at all between sunny and cloudy (but non-rainy) days. Is there?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prism posted:

Messing up the rain would, unless it's at evening.

I don't know if there's any mechanical difference at all between sunny and cloudy (but non-rainy) days. Is there?

It'll change what kind of fish is more common or rare when fishing. I guess since there are around two possible catches per bait, it'll affect those rates in Golden rather than something like making Red Goldfish more common during sunny days as in vanilla.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm only up to Magatsu Inaba, that's where I'm grinding. I want revenge against the miniboss for tearing me apart. :mad:

Ah, you're fine then. I didn't get Yoshitsune until right before the final boss, so I didn't want you to waste time with sub-optimal grinding like I did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's pretty much always something to do on rainy days, though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Captain Oblivious posted:

That isn't a make or break point however, which was the topic. You'll lose some points if you don't do that, but it's not one of the MANY AND FEARSOME LINK REVERSE PITFALLS that are so hyped up wrt Moon.

Yeah, it's really just the early offer to date her that screws everyone over on Ai the first time through. And I guess while you could figure out that being (spoiler just in case I guess) Mister Rebound is probably not the best tactic, some of the romantic S-Links progress so quickly or awkwardly that it's not immediately apparent that you screwed it up until much later. Although even friend-zoned Ai has some pretty nice dialog later.

I found Naoto to be trickier than Ai, since she has a really early break point that isn't obvious at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno if it's been asked a billion times or not, but in the Void Quest dungeon, what floor do I get the key in? I know you gotta fight the Killing Hand. It's just that most walkthroughs say 7th floor, but I can't find it.

Edit: Found it.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 10, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno if it's been asked a billion times or not, but in the Void Quest dungeon, what floor do I get the key in? I know you gotta fight the Killing Hand. It's just that most walkthroughs say 7th floor, but I can't find it.
7th Floor, killing hand, should be off in one of the side rooms. Once you fight the Killing Hand, you kill the killing hand, then open a chest behind it. In the chest is a Dark Orb. That's your key.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You need to thoroughly explore that floor. It's a pain to navigate, but it's there. The Killing hand is behind a door on that floor, in a side room somewhere.

EDIT: Oh.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Endorph posted:

All of them are pretty obvious except for Naoto's where you have to make sure you say "I'm glad you're a girl" on rank 5 I think, otherwise you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
PIece of poo poo. I didn't max Marie's S Link before beating Heaven on the first day so naturally the game punishes me by skipping all those days until the Christmas event and mow i cant do the Ski Trip story. Dammit to hell.

I had to avoid this thread like the plague because no one here knows how to use spoilers, just black out everything without context so I couldn't tell if I could mouse over or not. Ihateeveryoneshutupanddieohmygoddammit.

• Locked thread