Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Re: Jade Star

You might rely on briefings and debriefings to emphasize character development while providing game description and tactics during videos. You may also need a way to vet poster volunteers; even on the hardest difficulty, you probably won't go through as many soldiers as you would for the older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also is this image good for a banner?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I decided to go back and clean up the intro, and also to make some actual game play content. Now for the intro piece I wanted to show off the bold text for my narration and the italics for the game narration, but I also wanted to see if it worked better to have the in-game narration/text as normal text and to make my narration as italicized. Which seems to work better? Also any other input would be appreciated (and I know the game play part isn't complete, but I wanted to make sure it was on the right track before I pumped out a full one; I feel it should be representative though).

Intro: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9911
Gameplay: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9931

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Jade Star posted:

X-Com Enemy Unknown.

The post commentary for the video was good, maybe a bit more of an explanation into what the rookie class is and what that means. So what I'm saying is a little more depth into the mechanics of the game for people who haven't seen or played an X-COM game before.

As for the SSLP it isn't very good. You just have the soldiers react to the what's happening on screen. Just having read GuavaMoment's LP of Apocalypse he does it in more of a journal style for the base parts and video surveillance for the missions. This is far more difficult to do in Enemy Unknown as the camera is dynamic and generally follows one person closely as they move.

So a good way of doing this is most likely stick entirely to video or separate it out into video for the combat and a journal style for the base.

Will you be showing off all missions because some of them get boring and repetitive later on in the game? Like how you can save the same guy three times in one play through for some of the terror missions.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Turtlicious posted:

I don't know much about SSLP's but that picture is pretty snazzy. It wouldn't by chance be an animated title screen would it with shimmering rainbow waters?

Anyway, seems like between you and Rising-Grandpa, I'll probably keep Runner-Vision off.

djw175 posted:

I noticed at certain points, you were looking left and right like a normal person would do. Keep that up. I like it. It helps with immersion.

Thanks!

My goal is to have it not look like me LPing but rather me RPing Faith on her adventure.

-----

VivaVizer posted:

Let's Play "Mirror's Edge"

Made some minor graphical changes to my test post. Any other opinions?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Turtlicious posted:

I'm quoting this post, but I'm going to criticize the test-post.

Your explanation of the game is too much like a GameFAQ text. You're mentioning obscure mechanics like the early morning trade, but haven't explained the concepts that make this game so interesting. In fact, you're not giving us any context for any of the mechanics you are explaining, you're just dumping them on us. And you've given us almost no info about the game itself.

As for the "regular update" part of the post... Too much dialogue, too little game. Put in a screenshot or two of the port in question. Like the "back at the pub" part. Take a screenshot of the bar, both inside and outside. Most people here haven't played the game and haven't got a clue of what it looks like.
You have [] around some pictures, women=/=woman, a crapload of typos (although I really shouldn't be the one to complain about that), extra dialogue isn't really that well done, you aren't explaining a lot of what you're doing, and, well, there's more complaints that boil down to your post being a really shoddy piece of work...

I think you need to rethink your idea of this LP and make a completely new test-post. Just keep in mind that you need to make your LP something that someone might actually want to read. There was a pretty well done LP done by Blarghalt (I think), but sadly I don't have it in my bookmarks and it's probably in the archives by now. If you have archive access, you might want to check it out for ideas.

The banner is OK, though. :shobon:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could easily make it one.

my dad posted:

I'm quoting this post, but I'm going to criticize the test-post.

Your explanation of the game is too much like a GameFAQ text. You're mentioning obscure mechanics like the early morning trade, but haven't explained the concepts that make this game so interesting. In fact, you're not giving us any context for any of the mechanics you are explaining, you're just dumping them on us. And you've given us almost no info about the game itself.

As for the "regular update" part of the post... Too much dialogue, too little game. Put in a screenshot or two of the port in question. Like the "back at the pub" part. Take a screenshot of the bar, both inside and outside. Most people here haven't played the game and haven't got a clue of what it looks like.
You have [] around some pictures, women=/=woman, a crapload of typos (although I really shouldn't be the one to complain about that), extra dialogue isn't really that well done, you aren't explaining a lot of what you're doing, and, well, there's more complaints that boil down to your post being a really shoddy piece of work...

I think you need to rethink your idea of this LP and make a completely new test-post. Just keep in mind that you need to make your LP something that someone might actually want to read. There was a pretty well done LP done by Blarghalt (I think), but sadly I don't have it in my bookmarks and it's probably in the archives by now. If you have archive access, you might want to check it out for ideas.

The banner is OK, though. :shobon:

There is no "inside" places in the Dos version, but you're right about the rest being very lazy I'll re-do it I think but Joao just has so much goddamn exposition before he does anything it's irritating. the [ ] around pictures is the macro I'm using being lovely. (I'll be completely re-doing the test post,) I just am never sure what to put in the OP's and the whole thing is hard enough to keep track of all the dialogue in a game. I use the extra stuff to SNIP a majority of crap that happens (and a bit of exposition at the end because I was bored :shobon:) but let me get it down to bullet points the problems.

- Better OP explain the game more

- Less made up dialogue

- More screenshots of where you are

- General proofreading

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 10, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Turtlicious posted:

- Better OP explain the game more

- Less made up dialogue

- More screenshots of where you are

- General proofreading

- That would be a good start, yes.

- The thing about made up dialogue is that it's really hard to do in a way that adds something interesting to the LP. Until you get a general idea of what works and what doesn't, do it in very small amounts. Don't replace the actual game dialogue with made up stuff. People who can do it without turning the LP into bad fanfiction are few, and you are not one of them. (At least not until you improve your writing a lot)

- As far as screenshots go, it's not about making screenshots of where you are, it's about making screenshots of what you're doing, particularly if you're doing it for the first time. You might have visited every port between Alaska and Istanbul, but we haven't. Show them to us. You can skip them later, once they stops giving the thread any new content, but don't miss stuff just because you have seen that particular screen a bazilion times.

- Sweet merciful Jesus, yes, proofread your posts, man! There's nothing goons like more than swarming low effort LPs like a swarm of pirahnas.

Do you plan on having any audience participation? Any type of discussion helps screenshot LPs a lot, since update-heavy pages are a horrible pain to any browser.

edit: proofreading my own post :downs:

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 10, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

Do you plan on having any audience participation? Any type of discussion helps screenshot LPs a lot, since update-heavy pages are a horrible pain to any browser.
Boat naming for the most part, and other small gimmicky things as I can think of them.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Okay, now that I've fixed a few things...

Fable Test Post posted:

You are my moral compass through the Fable Trilogy

What is Fable?

Fable is a game of choices. These choices can matter gently caress all or can change the world. Your character will change depending on what you do, gaining scars from fights or changing weight if you decide to pig out. You have very few restrictions laid on you, allowing you to be as nice or as cruel as you. The later games in the series increase just how much this freedom means on the world and your character.

Fable is one of the biggest bundles of potential that ever existed. Promising one of the most immersive and fantastic experiences that we'd ever seen, the infamous Peter Molynuex won our hearts and our wallets with his silver tongue. The final product was... not quite what was promised to say the least. While not a bad series, the Fable games always ended up as less then what it could have been. For as much is bad about the series, you have to remember that it was good enough to merit several sequels. This series is one that's near and dear to my heart, so let's have a good old time being nostalgic over what could have been and shamelessly mocking what we do have.

I will be playing through the first three Fable games and their respective DLC. There is a fourth fable game, Journey, that I give no shits about. I encourage everyone to talk about the games as they want but I've got request first. Keep all spoilers under spoiler tags! There are some twists that are pretty neat. Just don't go overboard with them please. CIA document blah blah don't wanna see it.

:siren:Audience Participation?:siren: You know it. With as many morality choices as this game has votes on everything would be impractical. I want you guys to vote on a general alignment for me to use and I'll announce when you guys should vote for the big decisions. I will restart the vote count at the beginning of each game and other voting options might pop up.

Fable 1 is my favorite of the series. Released in 2004, a lot of people quickly pointed out that it wasn't the revolutionary game that Mr. Molyneux had hyped it up to be, but its charm and fantastic music drew them in enough to warrant a sequel. For Fable 1 I will actually be playing the extended version, Fable: The Lost Chapters. It contains a lot of fixes on the original plus a butt-load more content than the original and an extension to the end game.

Episode 1 placeholder text

Now have at it. This section of the game is pretty hard commentary wise. I'll get a lot more loose with it once I leave the tutorial zones proper.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 10, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Brainamp posted:

Okay, now that I've fixed a few things...

Now have at it. This section of the game is pretty hard commentary wise. I'll get a lot more loose with it once I leave the tutorial zones proper.

Looks fine to me.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

VivaVizer posted:

Mirror's Edge

I agree with keeping Runner Vision off for the play through (since the video looks amazing without what I imagine is an intrusive HUD), but I was wondering if you might create an addendum for the tutorial video which shows off what it looks like.

I watched the first chapter, and all I could think was " Holy poo poo! How does he know where to go?"

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Doctor Isosceles posted:

I agree with keeping Runner Vision off for the play through (since the video looks amazing without what I imagine is an intrusive HUD)

The HUD isn't intrusive, it just makes interactive objects red. The game uses color really well and works that into the mechanics. Red means go that way.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Doctor Isosceles posted:

I agree with keeping Runner Vision off for the play through (since the video looks amazing without what I imagine is an intrusive HUD), but I was wondering if you might create an addendum for the tutorial video which shows off what it looks like.

I watched the first chapter, and all I could think was " Holy poo poo! How does he know where to go?"

Actually, Runner Vision isn't a HUD. The only HUD in the game is the little dot in the middle of the screen that sometimes becomes a crosshair.

Here is a test video I did in the past of chapter 1 with Runner Vision on.

Runner Vision just makes more things red and is basically used to highlight useful objects. For example, in the Prologue where I do the big jump before the first helicopter comes, the pipes that I land on will be Red and stand out much more against the white wall. At the end of that level when you jump onto the helicopter, the landing bar turns red as you approach the edge so you know to jump on it.

Typically, the level is designed so useful objects like swinging bars, steps for boosting off of, and ladders point you to your goal. So while Runner Vision doesn't directly point you in the right direction, it definitely gives suggestions of where you need to go. On the other hand, Mirror's Edge does have a hint system where if you press left+alt, Faith will look directly at the next objective.

So what part of Chapter 1 did you go "Holy poo poo!"

Was it is the run to the building or the run away from the cops?

I could look at the building for a bit trying to suggest that is where Faith is trying to get to if it was the first part. If it is the run on the roofs after sliding down another roof, then... I'll need to think so more. Realistically, even for that part, all Runner Vision would have as red would be the wooden board that I jumped off of onto the blue tarp (well, red tarp with runner vision). So I'd actually need an even better solution.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 10, 2013

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Blue Ghost posted:

So a good way of doing this is most likely stick entirely to video or separate it out into video for the combat and a journal style for the base.

re XCOM: I thought this was what you were planning all along, Jade. I can't think of a reason to do battles in screenshots, and I can't think of a reason to do base management in video. Best of both worlds.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

VivaVizer posted:

So what part of Chapter 1 did you go "Holy poo poo!"

Was it is the run to the building or the run away from the cops?

Generally, the run up to the building, although the fleeing from the cops also looked like a drat maze. Based on the jumps you were making from the prologue (especially the jump to that red crane) It seemed that the possibilities for jumps was effectively limitless. It also looked like the world was very open and you weren't stuck on any path rails.

It's probably just my unfamiliarity with the game mechanics, but the impression I got from watching the chapter 1 play-through was that you had multiple path choices at just about every juncture.

Add to that the fact that you didn't seem to make any jump/vault/slide miscues, and the sheer speed of the progression made the viewing enjoyably frantic.

My impression was that runner vision in this game was more detailed and intrusive, glad to learn that it is subtle and doesn't break the very attractive aesthetic of the game.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Well, as long as it was enjoyable.

Though you hit on something else that I noticed. The cutscenes in this game are all ingame and not pre-rendered. Faith also mostly use actual moves you can do in the game. The game does have impressive stunts ingame as well and the jump to red crane in the Prologue is possible but that particular bit was a cutscene. You can tell because there is a "Press space to skip" in the top left. Also, the screen flashes when a cutscene starts and ends. Which also makes for a good place to hide cuts.

I'm glad you liked the speed of the video. Even though the videos are short, I usually recording multiple times trying to get the run right. I have a feeling some of the longer, harder late levels are going to take me a while to do... Or at least I need to figure out some smart editing. Either way, I'll try to keep it entertaining.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
MASTER TIME TO BECOME THE ULTIMATE WEAPON

Dr. Aiden Krone has made a time jump across the space-time continuum - a reckless act with frightening consequences. Now, a disturbing alternate reality has evolved within the bleak and rain-soaked Alpha District. Armed with the experimental Beta Suit, you alone are able to slow, stop and reverse the flow of time. Only with this ability can you lead the uprising to victory and put an end to Krone's madness.

TimeShift is a science fiction FPS developed by Saber Interactive. For most of its development TimeShift had an unusual Steampunk aesthetic, a complicated storyline about changing history, and heroes and villains voiced by Hollywood stars. Then Atari sold the publishing rights to Sierra; the story and unusual art design were thrown out, and what we actually ended up with was Half-Life 2 cross-bred with Halo and Gears of War.

Still, TimeShift has impressive graphics (including lots of dynamic lighting and shadows), amusing ragdoll physics, enemies with decent AI and complex animations, and challenging combat intended for experienced gamers that have already played and beaten all the other games that TimeShift rips off. It might actually have been a commercial success if Sierra hadn't chosen to release it at the same time as BioShock, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament 3 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. Oops!

The game's unique selling point is TimeShifting. The Prince of Persia games let you rewind time to undo mistakes, but TimeShift makes you rewind time in order to progress, as most puzzles and obstacles require you to make the world run backwards. Max Payne and FEAR gave the player "enhanced reflexes" that allowed slow motion combat; in TimeShift you and your weapon move and fire at normal speed regardless of your time powers. This allows you to perform feats such as walking on water or through flames, teleporting next to an enemy and shooting him with his own gun, or empting a 30-round magazine into a squad of enemies before they have even managed to raise their weapons. Rather than breaking the game and making things easy, the game is designed with these powers in mind and without them you are no tougher than an average enemy soldier.

Those of you familiar with my LP of Wolfenstien 2009 will know that I like a challenge, going so far as to modify the game when it turned out that Wolfenstein's "Uber Difficulty" setting wasn't tough enough. I will not be needing to do anything like that with TimeShift, in fact I shall be playing the game on the normal/medium "Skilled" difficulty setting.

(It is worth noting that the normal mode of the console versions is the easy mode of the PC version, while the PC normal difficulty setting is actually the hard mode on consoles! I guess that is to make up for the fact that a mouse and keyboard allow more precise aiming compared to a console controller.)

VIDEOS

----------------------------

EPISODE ZERO: Intro

YouTube
Polsy

Here I give some background info and show footage of the old cancelled version of the game, delve into the options menu and play the opening cutscene.

-----------------------------

EPISODE ONE: The Arrival

YouTube
Polsy

On the hunt to find our betrayer, Dr. Krone, we have arrived within his alternate timestream...

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 10, 2013

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

TwoDayLife posted:

Let's Klay The NeverhoOd Chronicles

Yay! I might have something to help enhance this certain LP, by way of links to the Neverhood soundtrack by Terry S. Taylor, which is indeed a work of art in itself.

Wait, no I don't.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 11, 2013

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
I posted this in my Dredd LP I just started today but I figured I should post it here and maybe get a bit better feedback. As I said in my post for Dredd here a few pages back, I'd forgotten to turn on subtitles for the first level, and I felt the audio was drowning out a bit of the dialogue. So I turned down the audio to what I think works well and I turned on subtitles. But holy gently caress are they ever obnoxious in this game. I think I should leave them off. I know they're usually appreciated with video lps that have audio commentary, but I think it would be justified in this case when stuff like this can happen:

Click here for the full 1152x648 image

What are your opinions? Should I just keep them on or turn them off and keep the excess clutter away? I think the dialogue is generally strong enough that you can hear everything pretty clearly and I'm doing post-commentary so I can avoid talking over most of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Let's Play Cubivore!

Welcome to one of the oddest games released! It's Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest, on the Nintendo GameCube. Explaining this game in words alone is bit challenging, but suffice it to say that this game is about making babies, murdering hellbeasts, taking shits and making puns. Published by Atlus in the US because Nintendo thought nobody over here would buy it, this game was originally an N64 title, very slightly retooled for the newer, better system. This is one of my favorite games that I own, simply for the sheer strangeness, as well as the relative rarity. I will be guiding you through this game on a 100% run, and will have a sidekick or two for the duration of the Let's Play.

Q: What do you do in this game?
A: Eat, evolve, grow, poop and have kids

Q: Why this game?
A: This is a game that is pretty unique, in more ways than just the art style. Most people have probably not seen much of this game, and that's a shame because of how different it is. There isn't a whole lot to really compare it to in most regards, and for that reason, I think it's an interesting, if flawed, game.

Part 1: Paw Dunes

notes: I plan on having graphics for the video links rather than straight URLs. I'll also probably re-write the OP and make it a bit more in-depth and maybe include a few screenshots. I'll also be coming up with a better title for the actual thread.

e: Also, this is my first LP in years, and the first I'll be doing with other people commentating. I think the video came out fine, but I need more opinions on if it's good and if the style works before I go ahead with the thread.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 10, 2013

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GuavaMoment posted:

re XCOM: I thought this was what you were planning all along, Jade. I can't think of a reason to do battles in screenshots, and I can't think of a reason to do base management in video. Best of both worlds.

This was pretty much my plan. But there are.. complications, with how the story and LP are going to go that don't make things quite that simple. Turning the whole thing into a massive hybrid may just solve all of this.

Hearing the feed back here I think the response makes it pretty clear to put battles into video and work the narrative on the outside. Which fits with what I want to do and was probably my main plan all along. I don't think it'll be hard to write fluff before/after missions.

New Xcom battlefields are a much more serious environment than the UFO series where I have like 20 pictures of Valhallen getting shot in the dick. Just the whole presentation of it doesn't lend itself well to writing for it in my option. So i think I can safely put the idea of in combat Screenshots behind me.

Good feed back thus far an has given me a few more ideas on how to handle certain things. I think I will run the tutorial video and see what I can do with that to bring new players into the game. Otherwise the battle videos will be 'look at pretty GI Joes kill things'. With no real understanding of the game behind the visuals, it's losing a lot.

I got one maybe two replies on the style of narrative in the video. I was hoping for a bit more so I really want feed back on this question in particular. Did the post commentary narrative style really work? It wasn't really my first idea, but it seems fine. I was more envisioning a post audio narrative as if my voice was an X-Com figure reviewing mission video and bisecting tactics. Make the audio accompaniment more of an in character addition than a out of character explanation of events.

The current test video I think missed the mark wide on even attempting that. But I'm not sure if that is so bad. Some seemed to have stated they want more of the technical 'this is how the game plays' explanations. Which is understandable, but feels like it pulls away from the idea that this is to be a narrative LP telling the story guava an I have strung together for 6+ games and makes it feel like more of a play through with commentary.

I hope this makes sense, that i see a few different possibilities to take the videos and how they are very different from one another. I think I'll go back to the fraps and record a few more missions and try to illustrate what I mean as clearly as possible with different videos.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm personally of the opinion that video can't afford to be narrative the same way that a text LP can manage. I know that when I did the Thief LP's I was quiet and occasionally responded to the characters, but those are still things that I, as the player, could conceivably do to immerse myself. And did when playing on my own, for that matter.

But at the end of the day, there's no denying that you are actively using a video game interface and your voice and/or subtitles have no real business being there under normal circumstances. I'm not actually Garrett, the aliens aren't really killing anyone I know, etc. There's no point in pretending when the suspension of disbelief is broken by the nature of the presentation.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Jade Star posted:

I got one maybe two replies on the style of narrative in the video. I was hoping for a bit more so I really want feed back on this question in particular. Did the post commentary narrative style really work? It wasn't really my first idea, but it seems fine. I was more envisioning a post audio narrative as if my voice was an X-Com figure reviewing mission video and bisecting tactics. Make the audio accompaniment more of an in character addition than a out of character explanation of events.

The current test video I think missed the mark wide on even attempting that. But I'm not sure if that is so bad. Some seemed to have stated they want more of the technical 'this is how the game plays' explanations. Which is understandable, but feels like it pulls away from the idea that this is to be a narrative LP telling the story guava an I have strung together for 6+ games and makes it feel like more of a play through with commentary.

Honestly, I rather enjoyed the live reactions from the stream, but there's nothing saying they can't stay there, and leave the LP more informative. Live by itself I wouldn't recommend, as you're going to be strategizing about your next move in a game like this rather than thinking about entertaining, unless you deliberately stop and do so. That said, if you're up for more effort, trying live commentary and then editing it further in post gives the best of both worlds: live reactions (like the surprise cyberdisc that murdered half your team in one of the streams) and good commentary flow.

Also, if you're worried about narrative, you should probably consider what role you as the narrator play. Are you a team coordinator, one of the "we'll be watching" Council, or some omniscient presence set apart from the game? Then you could try to frame what you say in that context to keep immersion, or whatever else it is you're worried about. (Disclaimer: I don't really know if this is a good idea or not. I'd lean toward no, but it might be worth a shot in a test video.)

More mechanics information is nice, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to estimate the average number of missions on a playthrough and the number of mechanics tidbits you have and string them out a bit to prevent the early videos from being Mechanics Chat 101. There's also nothing saying you can't explain some or most of the mechanics in the SS part of the LP, as you're going through levelling guys up, building the base, etc. For example, classes and such I think could very easily go right after the first mission. Even a mention of rookies in the video could either be explained during the video, or left until afterward to keep from breaking flow.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Jade Star posted:

If you want to do the whole narrate from the perspective of an officer you could aim at doing the first mission and whenever new mechanics into the game as a debriefing for rookies and call out specific instances. Such as in the test video when one of the rookies goes behind high cover congratulate him and call out the first rookie that goes into low cover giving the reason for doing each. I would imagine that this will be difficult to keep up for the 30 odd missions that you have to do in the game. Although this kind of format would also allow for you to fast forward missions until something important happens within the context of the presentation.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

Let's Play "Mirror's Edge"

Noice. Actually, you have everything spot on from my perspective, especially how you are looking around before you start to jump to places.

Now I will not have to lp this thing myself and get sit back and watch and nitpick everything you do.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Urban Chaos?
Urban Chaos is a third person brawler developed by Mucky Foot (a British game company that also produced Startopia and Blade II) and published in 1999. Released for the PC, Playstation and Dreamcast, the game casts the player in the role of D'Arci Stern, a rookie cop in the Union City Police Department as the city prepares for the local elections and an upswing in gang violence by the Wildcats.

Naturally, things go downhill from there. And weird.

This game is not to be confused with Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

I, berryjon, will be subtitling the 'Core' Mission videos. In those videos, I will be making as straight a line as possible through the mission to reach the goal. These videos will tend to be fairly short. However, for the 'Exploration Videos', I will be co-commentating with Arthur D. Wolfe (whom I will encourage to make his own commentary in the thread) and we will chat over a more complete exploration of the mission. The Exploration Videos will assume that you have watched the respective Core Video first, so please respect that.

Spoiler Policy
While I would normally allow spoilers in a game this old, I will have to ask the thread to not spoil anything. There are certain events and enemies that need to experienced firsthand to fully understand. However, feel free to talk about anything that's already appeared in a video. This is why I'm not posting the opening video yet either.

Videos
    * Mission 00 – Physical Training, Combat Tutorial, Driving Bronze, Driving Bronze Exploration: YouTube | Polsy

* Mission 01 – RTA: YouTube | Polsy

Cast

D'arci Stern
D.O.B: 07/07/1970
Officer Stern is ambitious and enthusiastic as you would expect from a family with a strong tradition of law enforcement (both her brother and father served in the UCPD and both were sadly lost in the line of duty). However, she also has a tendency to be headstrong and sometimes over-zealous in the execution of her duties. She is a loyal and dependable partner, but prefers to work on her own. Officer Stern is extremely athletic, with an excellent level of stamina. At present, she can run faster and jump farther than anyone else in the department.

In 1983, she was brought up on assault charges brought by the suspect in her brother's murder. Charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence.

Weapons
Fists (First Mission: Combat Tutorial)
The default melee weapon, D'Arci's fists and feet are usable at all times and in (almost) all situations. Capable of dealing quick and devastating combos, as well as subduing suspects for arrest, her basic combat skills stay relevant all the way into the endgame.

Knife (First Mission: RTA)
The Knife is an upgrade to D'arci's punch that trades combo power for damage potential. I don't like using it because the recovery is so slow, but it does have its place in the “I need to kill you” department, and nothing better is available.

Pistol (First Mission: RTA)
Being the most basic ranged weapon, the Pistol comes with a 15 shot clip and decent range. Ammo is plentiful as the game progresses, so using the pistol to thin down enemies as you charge into them is always a viable option. But like all 'basic' weapons, there are more interesting ones later on.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 10, 2013

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

NoiseNoiseNoise posted:

Noice. Actually, you have everything spot on from my perspective, especially how you are looking around before you start to jump to places.

Now I will not have to lp this thing myself and get sit back and watch and nitpick everything you do.

Thanks! So since the feedback seemed pretty positive, does that mean I can do an actual thread? Or not quite yet.

Also, I've noticed a lot of VLP uses the alternative player at http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/. Are there any interesting optional features of the player or is it pretty much just put in the Youtube url and that's it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It hides YouTube comments. It's a great feature.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

VivaVizer posted:

Also, I've noticed a lot of VLP uses the alternative player at http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/. Are there any interesting optional features of the player or is it pretty much just put in the Youtube url and that's it?

Arguably the largest feature of it is the lack of spoiler-full related videos in the sidebar. Because it's not there.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hmmm, what about disabling annotations?

If someone were to use the Polsy player from a thread here, then it makes no sense to have annotations on the video that'll link back to Youtube.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VivaVizer posted:

Hmmm, what about disabling annotations?

If someone were to use the Polsy player from a thread here, then it makes no sense to have annotations on the video that'll link back to Youtube.

Mostly cause nobody cares about annotations. If you want them to see the next episode then I'm fairly sure they can click the next link in the lp proper or on youtube.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Brainamp posted:

Mostly cause nobody cares about annotations. If you want them to see the next episode then I'm fairly sure they can click the next link in the lp proper or on youtube.

Right, which is why I'm wondering whether the player can disable annotations. I believe embedding has the option for disabling annotations. I believe it is adding "&iv_load_policy=3" after the video name in the embed code. However, adding that to the url does nothing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

VivaVizer posted:

Right, which is why I'm wondering whether the player can disable annotations. I believe embedding has the option for disabling annotations. I believe it is adding "&iv_load_policy=3" after the video name in the embed code. However, adding that to the url does nothing.

There's usually an extra button that pops up on the player to let you disable annotations when they're present.

But yes, relying on an OP and/or building a playlist are preferred options to using annotation links around here.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Thanks a lot for the feed back felinoid and blue ghost. You both bring up good points.

While i do strongly want to drive as much as the LP into narration, I don't think the new look and feel of the game is will let me do it very well and a more straight on approach might simply work best.

I think the standard will be mostly post commentary discussing the tactical options presented in the mission, how I went about deciding to do what i did, the outcomes, and light gameplay mechanical discussion as needed about new types of missions/enemies/weapons/skills/etc. However I want to try to make one or two videos narrative style, such at a training film for rookies or a mash-up of footage to illustrate game mechanics or strategies that were not shown in regular fashion.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 10, 2013

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love

Let's Play Just Cause 2

Just Cause 2 is the story of Rico Rodriguez, an agent for a government organization called the Agency. Nominally, he is sent to a tiny island in the middle of the South Pacific named Panau to overthrow a nasty little dictatorship. In reality, he flies around on a extraordinary amount of parachutes and blows up everything that comes into his sights. It's a really entertaining game, although the open world stuff loses a bit of its allure once you've experienced all the different base types. There's also a number of mechanical flaws. Still, it's very good and it goes on sale all the time. If you don't own it, you really should.

LP Structure

Since Just Cause 2 is a game that encourages you to futz around and avoid doing story missions, this LP will be broken into two kinds of videos: Missions and Intermissions. Missions will be each story mission as I do them. Intermissions will be the time spent in-between each mission flying around, doing non-mission activities, and generally futzing around. Missions will have a little more directed commentary talking about the game, whereas Intermissions will cover pretty much whatever comes to mind. I'd like to get a few co-commentators for the Intermissions, so if you wanna jump up and participate, just let me know!

Audience

During Intermissions you are welcome to suggest any mods in the thread that you want me to mess with, or places you'd like to see me hit. It'll only be suggestions, not direct participation. Unless you join me in commentating, anyway.

Spoilers

Tag spoilers, but otherwise I don't care. The story is nonsensical and full of awful stereotypes, so there's not really a whole lot of stuff to spoil.

Videos:

Mission 01 - Welcome to Panau: YouTube|Polsy

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragonmaw posted:

Just Cause 2

I like the OP, short and sweet.

for the video, I enjoyed the commentary, but you didn't explain some things, like chaos. If it's something you'll exlplain later, you should mention that.

Also are you gonna show off the multiplayer mod?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

Thanks! So since the feedback seemed pretty positive, does that mean I can do an actual thread? Or not quite yet.

Dude, post that thread. You have your poo poo together.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Dragonmaw posted:

Let's Play Just Cause 2

On the technical side the game audio might have been a little loud compared to your voice. The ducking was fine it lowered the audio enough to hear you but as I said there was a disparity between your voice and the game audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Dragonmaw posted:

Let's Play Just Cause 2

I felt like you were a little bit bored with it, though having played that mission several times myself I understand why. I'd agree with Blue Ghost that your voice volume needs to be higher - generally I try to make it the same volume or slightly higher than the characters in game cutscenes.

Just personal preference, but I like when people talk as if they're currently playing the game, even when doing post-commentary. Example - instead of "here I forgot you can right click to zoom", "you can also right click to zoom your guns if you need better precision". A couple times you also described exactly what we were seeing on screen, which didn't add any value.

One request, if you do end up re-recording the mission could you take a break from shooting the cannon for a second to watch the radio tower falling down - that's pretty cool to see in my opinion especially for people who have never played the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing your open world sections - it sounds like you're pretty good at the game so that should be entertaining.

• Locked thread