Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Your school probably has some sort of OCI process, too. If you just want to work in a firm, that's a nice, boring option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lawdog69 posted:

Killed my exams (3.85) but have spent basically my whole winter break chilling. Should I be applying for summer internships or something? How do people even find these things.

I applied to every USAO in a city I wouldn't mind living in. I didn't look for postings or anything, I just called every office for the contact person and got them all in really early. My grades were bad and I still got a fistful of offers, and the place I eventually went didn't even interview me (some did).

Note guy: I cite as I go, but it's pretty instinctive at this point. I hate having to go back later and find poo poo. I also tend to burn through one topic (or one source) at a time, fitting chunks into my outline. Outlines are important.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well he's a 1L like me, so the permanent job search isn't until later.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Got rejected out of management consulting. Law school it is!

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
My Evidence grade is trolling me and still not out yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

WaveLength posted:

Got rejected out of management consulting. Law school it is!

Maybe two wrongs will make a right?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
How else can I prove to everyone how goddamn smart and prestigious a person I am

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Solid Lizzie posted:

My Evidence grade is trolling me and still not out yet.

We have none of our grades, and probably won't until Monday.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Walamor posted:

We have none of our grades, and probably won't until Monday.

Ours don't come out until the 21st. I do like that they release all of them at the same time though instead of letting each professor's out as they finish them.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Artic Puma posted:

Ours don't come out until the 21st. I do like that they release all of them at the same time though instead of letting each professor's out as they finish them.
Mm, it's not really the wait that kills me so much as the uncertainty as to when it will actually be released. Today? Tomorrow?! 12 or 5 pm!??!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

WaveLength posted:

How else can I prove to everyone how goddamn smart and prestigious a person I am

I just feel sorry for people who go to law school.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Artic Puma posted:

I won't have grades til March. I'm still in exams.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Step 1: Thesis. This is actually probably the hardest part for me - finding *something* interesting to say. Whether you care about preemption or not makes this more or less difficult.

Step 2: Outline: Hook, Thesis, Premises, Proof, Thesis. The most important thing to have in the outline is each of the things you need to "prove" to get from your premises your thesis. From your research you should have a pretty good idea of what they are.

Step 3: Pick a section from your outline and just suck it up and write about it. I don't even care if it is 100% factually correct at this point (so long as close enough that the example still fits in). I also don't care about how things are connected at this point. I'm just writing to get bullshit on the page, and unless I think I will have difficulty finding a citation again, I won't cite a word, even then I will just put in a URL or short form and go back later. As a part of sucking it up I will set a goal of say 500 words for myself and a time limit, tack a break on at the end, and write until I get to 500 or the time limit. At the end of the break, I repeat.

Step 4: Repeat step 3 until you are at 60-75% of the word limit, more if you don't get to count footnotes/citations in your word count, but probably not above 90-95%.

Step 5: Go back and start citing and cleaning everything up. Same deal with the 500 word limit. This finishes the paper for me.

This is all solid advice. The catch for me is that I'm writing an "empirical" note based on a butt load of data I've gathered. The data is interesting but it essentially shows that nobody listens to the Supreme Court on a particular patent law topic (instead, they listen to the Federal Circuit). That's all great, but what exactly am I trying to prove? I want to show this data, but the Notes Manual says you have to offer a prescription, and I'm not sure exactly what that is at this point.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Colorblind Pilot posted:

This is all solid advice. The catch for me is that I'm writing an "empirical" note based on a butt load of data I've gathered. The data is interesting but it essentially shows that nobody listens to the Supreme Court on a particular patent law topic (instead, they listen to the Federal Circuit). That's all great, but what exactly am I trying to prove? I want to show this data, but the Notes Manual says you have to offer a prescription, and I'm not sure exactly what that is at this point.

Abolish patens.

Serious answer, just analyze the the two courts' opinions and recommend that Congress adopt whichever is best.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Your prescription is "practitioners who want to win their cases should probably follow the theoretically non-controlling precedent in this line of cases."

Or you can just add it to the growing body of "fed cir ignores scotus" papers out there. There's a lot of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Colorblind Pilot posted:

You are trying to prove that the Supreme Court needs to smack down the Federal Circuit much more regularly. You can point to the recent cases where they've started laying smackdowns and argue those were effective and should be expanded.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

evilweasel posted:

You are trying to prove that the Supreme Court needs to smack down the Federal Circuit much more regularly. You can point to the recent cases where they've started laying smackdowns and argue those were effective and should be expanded.

No don't. :(

Colorblind Pilot, which topic are you writing on? Patent eligibility?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Federal Circuit is The Worst Circuit, sorry.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Meatbag Esq. posted:

No don't. :(

Colorblind Pilot, which topic are you writing on? Patent eligibility?

Yeah. I'm basically showing that the PTO doesn't care at all when the Supreme Court rules on patent eligibility, but they listen pretty carefully to the Federal Circuit.

evilweasel posted:

Don't apologize; it is. The whole specialized appellate court idea was stupid. They should have left it the way it was with regional circuits ruling on patent matters but given the PTO real rule-making authority like every other administrative agency.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

See, e.g., Bilski v. Kappos, 130 S. Ct. 3218 (2010)(smacking down the Fed. Cir). I wouldn't argue that this was effective though, since it's routinely ignored by the USPTO.

edit: ^^^ looks like you're already on top of this. When I was in law school I wrote a note analyzing subject matter eligibility as it relates to software patents, and arguing that In re Bilski should be overturned, noting that the Federal Circuit had ignored the Supreme Court's holdings. It's deeply frustrating as a patent prosecutor that examiners keep citing In re Bilski as if it were still law. On the other hand, you can just use magic words (e.g., insert "one or more processors configured to" into the claims) to get around it, so it's not really important from a practical standpoint.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My favorite was the collective backpedaling by the Federal Circuit after the SCROTUM granted cert on KSR, trying to demonstrate that TSM was not a rigid test.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

evilweasel posted:

Agreed.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

gvibes posted:

trying to demonstrate that TSM was not a rigid test.

I think the Oddone will shine with the passive jungle changes in season 3, but I'm not sure if Dyrus is their longterm solution on top.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

gvibes posted:

My favorite was the collective backpedaling by the Federal Circuit after the SCROTUM granted cert on KSR, trying to demonstrate that TSM was not a rigid test.

That was the best example of appellate groveling I've ever seen. Suddenly, the Federal Circuit started quoting wayyyy more SCOTUS opinions in their opinions.

And Bilksi is unbelievably vague. "The M/T test can't be the only test, but it's a test you can use. It can be a clue. I'm not giving you clues to what other stuff you could use. Deal with it."

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Omerta posted:

And Bilksi is unbelievably vague. "The M/T test can't be the only test, but it's a test you can use. It can be a clue. I'm not giving you clues to what other stuff you could use. Deal with it."

"see Benson, Flook, and Diehr for the true path." It's infuriating. That's part of why I'm writing about how nobody listens to the Supreme Court, because it's honestly some of their worst stuff.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Colorblind Pilot posted:

"see Benson, Flook, and Diehr for the true path." It's infuriating. That's part of why I'm writing about how nobody listens to the Supreme Court, because it's honestly some of their worst stuff.

See also Golan v. Holder. The Supreme Court doesn't have a great record on IP cases.

Thank god SCOTUS doesn't take bankruptcy cases often because holy poo poo do they tend to screw it up when they do. I still have no idea what Stern v. Marshall means.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So, our client's head has just washed up on an island off of the coast, after slaving out a 10 000 word advice on his case. loving criminal law.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

woozle wuzzle posted:

I think the Oddone will shine with the passive jungle changes in season 3, but I'm not sure if Dyrus is their longterm solution on top.

Dyrus can play inconsistently but I think he'll end up doing fine. Especially with M5 disbanding.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Neurosis posted:

So, our client's head has just washed up on an island off of the coast, after slaving out a 10 000 word advice on his case. loving criminal law.

Did they already pay a retainer though?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Omerta posted:

That was the best example of appellate groveling I've ever seen. Suddenly, the Federal Circuit started quoting wayyyy more SCOTUS opinions in their opinions.

Bilski was awesome. As an examiner, if I could use Bilski's actual analysis in making a 101 rejection, I could just say "the claims are directed to X which is abstract, 101"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Bilski was awesome. As an examiner, if I could use Bilski's actual analysis in making a 101 rejection, I could just say "the claims are directed to X which is abstract, 101"

Sadly that argument doesn't work well in litigation. Worst of all possible worlds - examiners have no clue what is and isn't patentable subject matter, and I still can't easily invalidate things in court on 101.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

Sadly that argument doesn't work well in litigation. Worst of all possible worlds - examiners have no clue what is and isn't patentable subject matter, and I still can't easily invalidate things in court on 101.

We've just taken to basically not making 101 rejections any more. Couple that with our new 112 6th practice (stuff like "a receiver configured to receive user input" is read as a "means for" limitation), and you throw in "well I have no loving idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to find" because a lot of the time, the disclosed structure is "a computer" and then I'm like "well, computers were known in the prior art" but is that a 101 or a 103 or what, and are we actually supposed to look at the corresponding structure or do I just ignore what the office is saying because it's dumb as hell?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
In other words, I'd like to move to private practice, where at least I don't have to be confused as to what I'm supposed to do, as opposed to being confused as to what someone else is supposed to do.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I've got an interview at the state dept of revenue here to be a revenue agent. That's a tax man job, finding people that haven't paid and breaking their knees and making them pay up.

If I want to be a tax attorney, is this a step in the right direction or a needless diversion from my chosen career?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Did they already pay a retainer though?

Unfortunately not. At least I got the satisfaction of knowing some inside police information before the identity was released.

There seems to be a dearth of criminal lawyers in this thread. After doing a year in it, I can completely appreciate why and am glad to be getting out this year. One more plea in mitigation for a rapist... "Oh yeah, he raped 4 women, but, you know, he's young." :suicide:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Neurosis posted:

There seems to be a dearth of criminal lawyers in this thread. After doing a year in it, I can completely appreciate why and am glad to be getting out this year. One more plea in mitigation for a rapist... "Oh yeah, he raped 4 women, but, you know, he's young." :suicide:
It's definitely not for everyone, and kudos to you for seeing that and making a change.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's actually a fair number of us in the thread. I'm sure small firm practitioners pick up the odd traffic matter, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Neurosis posted:

Unfortunately not. At least I got the satisfaction of knowing some inside police information before the identity was released.

I think we have 2 prosecutors, at least 2 pds (incl me), and a couple private defense people too.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Figure I might as well crosspost the link in case others have questions:
Ask me about being an itinerant contract attorney AKA don't go to law school
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527155

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Vander posted:

I've got an interview at the state dept of revenue here to be a revenue agent. That's a tax man job, finding people that haven't paid and breaking their knees and making them pay up.

If I want to be a tax attorney, is this a step in the right direction or a needless diversion from my chosen career?

What state?

If it's Florida, PM me.