Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
How about some news to lower your spirits? They're auctioning off stuff from the film at the end of the month because, one would assume, they ain't gonna need any of this poo poo for a sequel and need to recoup as much as they can, stat.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NESguerilla posted:

gently caress Best Buy so hard. I drove a half an hour in a traffic jam to get Dredd and they didn't even have a copy.How does best buy not have one copy of a movie on it's release day?

That means either Dredd sold like hotcakes, or Best Buy criminally under-ordered them. I'd assume for a new release, they ordered plenty - Best Buy always has a giant gently caress-off cardboard stand for new releases. Did they have an empty cardboard display?

Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon - I never do this, but I'm watching it as soon as I open the box.

Sentinel Me posted:

How about some news to lower your spirits? They're auctioning off stuff from the film at the end of the month because, one would assume, they ain't gonna need any of this poo poo for a sequel and need to recoup as much as they can, stat.

That's sad. I kind of hope Karl Urban has a helmet at home, just for him.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I got my copy at walmart. 20 dollars, same as best buy.

They only had one row of the DVD on their end display. They had like six for some seal team 6 movie. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sentinel Red posted:

drat, I am soooo tempted to put in a bid for a Judge's helmet and a Lawgiver. :ohdear:

EDIT: although having just seen the prices for things on their site, maybe I'll limit myself to one item at most.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 9, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Dredd, Moon, Sunshine...It's like that store only auctions off stuff from my favorite movies that bombed.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I just watched this last night.

Either it was my friend's TV (which I doubt) or the fact that this movie didn't have some multi-million dollar Hollywood post production facility, but to quote a friend, it looked "like one of those weird British shows." It felt like I was watching it on BBC America or something.

This movie also felt immensely short. I couldn't believe it was an hour and 35. It felt like I had just watched a pilot episode or a short film.

I loved the world it portrayed, really liked Urban as Dredd. Anderson and Ma-Ma were great characters too.

It was cheesy in a bad way in some spots ("hotshot", some of the dialogue) but overall it was a fun movie.

Now with all that said, and this has probably been covered before, BUT what are the best Dredd comics? I understand the tone of the comics differs from the film, but I'd like to read what's considered the best, and I'd like to see how Anderson is in them as well. People have said Case Files 02, is there anything else?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I just watched this last night.

Either it was my friend's TV (which I doubt) or the fact that this movie didn't have some multi-million dollar Hollywood post production facility, but to quote a friend, it looked "like one of those weird British shows." It felt like I was watching it on BBC America or something.

This movie also felt immensely short. I couldn't believe it was an hour and 35. It felt like I had just watched a pilot episode or a short film.

I loved the world it portrayed, really liked Urban as Dredd. Anderson and Ma-Ma were great characters too.

It was cheesy in a bad way in some spots ("hotshot", some of the dialogue) but overall it was a fun movie.

Now with all that said, and this has probably been covered before, BUT what are the best Dredd comics? I understand the tone of the comics differs from the film, but I'd like to read what's considered the best, and I'd like to see how Anderson is in them as well. People have said Case Files 02, is there anything else?

The America storyline and the Necropolis storyline. If you found "hotshot" to be cheesy in a bad way, you are going to loving HATE the comics.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

In case anyone is wondering what happened to the Dredd comic thread I said I'd do: I was going to do it over Christmas while I had three weeks off work, bqut then my PC died on New Year's Day. I have an RMA in for the parts, so hopefully I'll be able to make an OP by the end of the month. I'll post here when I do.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

TheJoker138 posted:

The America storyline and the Necropolis storyline. If you found "hotshot" to be cheesy in a bad way, you are going to loving HATE the comics.

For some reason I can give it a pass in the comics, or atleast the few panels I've read. The hotshot stuff didn't fit in tone with the movie to me, whereas the comics seem to be absurd, over the top cheesy satire. It seems great in a juvenile way, I guess.

Two different things, to me.

MrBling posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand:

Yes! This was the best part of the movie to me. Every shot involving him simply staring at something and us seeing the reflection in his visor was awesome.

Initially me and my friends kept laughing at the way they they'd say "Ma-Ma", and if you don't know there's a hyphen, you can't help but wonder why they keep saying it like that.

Also if she wanted to keep that yellow shirt guy Dredd caught from talking, why didn't she just order one of her lackeys to kill him instead of trying to kill the judges?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yes! This was the best part of the movie to me. Every shot involving him simply staring at something and us seeing the reflection in his visor was awesome.

I didn't even realize until my second viewing last night that when Dredd & Anderson are looking at the layout of the Peach Trees on a computer screen at the beginning, you can see their reflections in the screen. It wasn't like a weird glare or anything though, it fit really well. Such a nice touch.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I've watched quite a few recent british shows lately and this feels nothing like that. I'm not sure what BBC america is but I mean british filmed and directed.

Also: this movie's visuals are very weak when not in 3D and the "cheap" special effects are way more obvious on 2D. This movie was from the ground up designed to be viewed in 3D.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 10, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Most likely talking about certain tvs where they "smooth motion" which means it was your friends TV as this looks absolutely gorgeous on my setup (60" 3D Panasonic plasma).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've only seen it in 2D and I thought the effects were very good throughout.

Vintersorg posted:

Most likely talking about certain tvs where they "smooth motion" which means it was your friends TV as this looks absolutely gorgeous on my setup (60" 3D Panasonic plasma).

Also this. Those TV's make everything look like a soap opera. What a terrible effect.

Red posted:

That means either Dredd sold like hotcakes, or Best Buy criminally under-ordered them. I'd assume for a new release, they ordered plenty - Best Buy always has a giant gently caress-off cardboard stand for new releases. Did they have an empty cardboard display?

I'm assuming it was the latter. There was literally only one slot for it in the entire store. They had entire side of the display dedicated to Batman with about 500 copies of it though. Good job on the inventory guys!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 10, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I've only seen it in 2D and I thought the effects were very good throughout.

Also this. Those TV's make everything look like a soap opera. What a terrible effect.

It's a horrible emulation of trying to do a 60fps=60hz. It's fine when movies are filmed in a higher fps, but when it's scaled up it doesn't really fit with how it was intended to be watched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's a horrible emulation of trying to do a 60fps=60hz. It's fine when movies are filmed in a higher fps, but when it's scaled up it doesn't really fit with how it was intended to be watched.

Isn't the only film that was filmed at a high FPS The Hobbit (which also gets a lot of poo poo for looking weird as well)?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I bought Dredd 3D on Blu Ray. If it matters Amazon had it at #1 in Sci Fi when I was looking at it on their website. Hopefully it'll at least sell well there even if we don't get a sequel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also: this movie's visuals are very weak when not in 3D and the "cheap" special effects are way more obvious on 2D. This movie was from the ground up designed to be viewed in 3D.

Well it was filmed in 3D.

I saw it in 3D in theaters and loved it. Watched the Blu-Ray in 2D and loved it. I didn't think the lack of 3D cheapened it at all. Though the 3D effect was cool as hell in the theater.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The guy who did the soundtrack for Dredd, Paul Leonard-Morgan, put up a new unreleased track yesterday in celebration of it coming out.

quote:

Hey DREDDheads! To celebrate the release of DREDD on DVD and Blu-ray, an exclusive and unreleased track has been mastered for your ears only! Head over to my website http://www.paulleonardmorgan.com/downloads to not only hear the track, but download it for FREE! Enjoy!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vintersorg posted:

The guy who did the soundtrack for Dredd, Paul Leonard-Morgan, put up a new unreleased track yesterday in celebration of it coming out.

Oh nice :buddy: It sounds good too. I'm pretty sure it's the beginning track, when Dredd's giving his opening monologue and chasing down the Slo-mo guys in the van.

REALLY need to pick up the Blu-ray soon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How many props usually go up on these auctions? There's no way I could justify dropping big money on a signature prop, but if there's minor stuff that goes cheap(er) I'd be cool with that.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I watched the BRD on my mid-range 42" TV without 3D yesterday and other than the scenes where they were having camera problems in dark light (and this was a problem in the theater too) I thought it still looked great. V:shobon:V

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
They better be selling the Peach Trees interface system complete with sick-rear end trackball.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just watched it in 2d and loved it. Will have to pick up the 3d blu.

Also will have to get a cheap prop. Maybe a judge's belt :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I can see everything getting stupidly expensive due to the British fans.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I can see everything getting stupidly expensive due to the British fans.

The obviously didn't give enough of a poo poo to even pay $12 to see the movie, so I doubt they're going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on props from it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The obviously didn't give enough of a poo poo to even pay $12 to see the movie, so I doubt they're going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on props from it.

I thought it did really well over there being #1 for a couple of weeks?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it did really well over there being #1 for a couple of weeks?

Maybe it's the outlier, but I know it did poo poo internationally as a whole. I'll go do real research quick.

E: It did hit #1 it's first week, but then dropped like a stone, and only made $6 million there in total.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe it's the outlier, but I know it did poo poo internationally as a whole. I'll go do real research quick.

okay it was #1 for the first week then fell, but it did much better internationally then in the US.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

okay it was #1 for the first week then fell, but it did much better internationally then in the US.

If by much better you mean it made $4 million more across the entire rest of the world than it did in America, sure. If we compare the actual figures it made about the same amount of money ($6 million) it's opening weekend in the US and the UK.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

If by much better you mean it made $4 million more across the entire rest of the world than it did in America, sure. If we compare the actual figures it made about the same amount of money ($6 million) it's opening weekend in the US and the UK.

Dredd earned $23,056,059 from international markets and $13,414,714 from North America

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed Judge Redemption: The Raid. It felt almost like they remade the film, but in an entirely new universe and style. Kind of like playing Quake and finding all the guns have been replaced with UT24k weapons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

I really enjoyed Judge Redemption: The Raid. It felt almost like they remade the film, but in an entirely new universe and style. Kind of like playing Quake and finding all the guns have been replaced with UT24k weapons.

Except Dredd was started before the Raid, but alright.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Except Dredd was started before the Raid, but alright.

Hahaha there is no way, the set pieces and characters are so similar it's scary.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Peven Stan posted:

Hahaha there is no way, the set pieces and characters are so similar it's scary.

It was. I think it was even acknowledged.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Peven Stan posted:

Pre-Production of Dredd was started in August of 2010 and filming began in November 2010. The Raid Redemption actually began filming in March 2011, with pre-production only four months before that. It is pretty much impossible that Dredd copied the Raid.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 10, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Dredd earned $23,056,059 from international markets and $13,414,714 from North America

It actually only earned $17,517,323 from international markets.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So much law in this movie.

Law law law.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

So much law in this movie.

Law law law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

and

http://www.theonion.com/video/supreme-court-rules-death-penalty-is-totally-badas,14244/

Gatts fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I really liked it. Dredd is so hardcore.

• Locked thread