Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

On this kind of thing take anything Cat says with a grain of salt. He's super-opinionated about transmissions.

I'd take the 30 year old Victorian Signal Box in the Statesman over a CVT, that's how goat loving awful CVT's are. Yeah I can put up with the old 4 speed clunker, CVT's drive me utterly bonkers ESPECIALLY when left to their own devices! Slow to respond, when they do respond it's often to do something you dont want them to do, absolutly hosed if you want to have a spirited drive as a result. And no better that traditional autos when cruising, in some situations worse.

Yes I hate autos. But I WOULD take an auto over a CVT. The CVT's I have driven I've whacked the stupid things in manual mode immediatly to get the car to actually be any good. I dont knwo if it's lousy implimentations but Lord help us all, they have come up with a shittier gearbox than a auto.

I do see why they program "gears" into them. It's not because it makes them feel traditional - it's so they actually WORK in a way that's useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Jamal is eating steaks tonight!

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'd take the 30 year old Victorian Signal Box in the Statesman over a CVT, that's how goat loving awful CVT's are. Yeah I can put up with the old 4 speed clunker, CVT's drive me utterly bonkers ESPECIALLY when left to their own devices! Slow to respond, when they do respond it's often to do something you dont want them to do, absolutly hosed if you want to have a spirited drive as a result. And no better that traditional autos when cruising, in some situations worse.

Yes I hate autos. But I WOULD take an auto over a CVT. The CVT's I have driven I've whacked the stupid things in manual mode immediatly to get the car to actually be any good. I dont knwo if it's lousy implimentations but Lord help us all, they have come up with a shittier gearbox than a auto.

I do see why they program "gears" into them. It's not because it makes them feel traditional - it's so they actually WORK in a way that's useful

Not everyone is a RALLY DRIVER!!! like you are. CVTs are primarily designed for fuel economy and smoothness so you can't expect them to have F1 style shifts in them. Do you know why the CVT is in the boring old Outback/Liberty/Imprezas and not in the GT/WRX/STI? Because its designed for families and people who drive the car to work everyday and want something comfortable. They aren't the greatest box ever but for an everyday car they are loving good in the Subarus and in the current line-up they are the better option.

Braggo posted:

Hah, don't know how crazy or racing I'll be able to be with an Outback. Really I just want to be able to get around/away from terrible SC drivers.

Right there. Target CVT market

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ChunksNensja posted:

Not everyone is a RALLY DRIVER!!! like you are. CVTs are primarily designed for fuel economy and smoothness so you can't expect them to have F1 style shifts in them. Do you know why the CVT is in the boring old Outback/Liberty/Imprezas and not in the GT/WRX/STI? Because its designed for families and people who drive the car to work everyday and want something comfortable. They aren't the greatest box ever but for an everyday car they are loving good in the Subarus and in the current line-up they are the better option.

Oh gently caress off with the RALLY DRIVER crap, I wasn't going there. And also, gently caress off with the "What they are used for" because I clearly understood that as well if you could be bothered comprehending my post, you know where I mentioned that autos actually work better for cruising, even the truly ancient POS my Statesman is blighted with? That would be it.

No they are not good for a family poo poo box. No they are not better than traditional autos. Even just city driving and mind numbing commuting, they suck.

And to round it all off, maybe not everyone is a RALLY DRIVER!!! but most of us do like a bit of a spirited drive or come across situations where you want the gearbox to be better - like overtaking or merging or hell even just climbing hills. The slowness to respond and to work effectively really shows up and detracts from the cars they are shoved into. And to repeat again another point you glossed over in your rush to RALLY DRIVER!!!! - maybe it's simply the implimentations are bad and the CVT can work well - well so far they are disappointing and are not better than traditional autos. I've had the misery of driving up and down the east coast in all sorts of conditions in CVT equipped cars lately and I'm actually happy to get rid of said CVT equipped car and go back to a VR Statesman as I honestly think that gearbox is an improvement.

(CVT's driven - Lancer ES, Impreza and Megane. Even the Cerato has a better gearbox than those three)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wrar posted:

On this kind of thing take anything Cat says with a grain of salt. He's super-opinionated about transmissions.

And he is not about anything else?

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

but most of us do like a bit of a spirited drive or come across situations where you want the gearbox to be better - like overtaking or merging or hell even just climbing hills. The slowness to respond and to work effectively really shows up and detracts from the cars they are shoved into.

This is what I'm most worried about. Obviously I need to get out and test drive one but I drive an auto 96 Accord now and it's bad enough with the press gas, wait, wait, go! And with all of the interstate cloverleaf interchanges (http://goo.gl/maps/rq6hC) we have around here I can't be too bogged down or I'm going to get smashed. I'm not going to come to a complete stop and wait for a spot to open like fuckers here do... :argh:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I agree on avoiding the that transmission. My son the Subaru tech says they get a lot of complaints about it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My engine rebuilder is having a hard time sourcing the Pin Bushings for the connecting rods on the 99 RS SOHC EJ25. Any ideas?

Edit: NM, Subaru Genuine Parts.com to the rescue.

daslog fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 10, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
My old POS Dodge Caliber RT had the a CVT in it. I hated the car, and at the time despised the CVT, but in reflecting back the CVT wasn't bad I just had ideas in my head of what I wanted it to do. It takes time for the belt to move along the cones to get to the right ratio, just like it takes time for an auto to work it's magic and change gears. What's really cool about CVT's (at least in the caliber) is when you floor it the engine will jump up to it's peak HP rpm and sit there while you accelerate. It's rather odd to watch one dial move (speedo) and not the other (tach).

I have a friend who still has his CVT equiped caliber that he bought new in 2006, it's got 80,000 miles on it and he's had zero trouble with the CVT. In fact... He still likes it. :ohdear:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CVT's are a pretty smart idea regardless of what the Aussie thinks. Floor it and the engine stays at peak torque? That's pretty badass and you won't get that any other way. They're much better than they used to be from what I can tell. I drove a new Nissan Altima with one and it was responsive and very smooth. Pretty efficient too, that thing gets like 38 mpg highway while still being a decent sized sedan. It is weird that it never shifts only because that's what most of us are used to. Once you get used to it though I don't see how it isn't better in nearly every way.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Larrymer posted:

CVT's are a pretty smart idea regardless of what the Aussie thinks. Floor it and the engine stays at peak torque? That's pretty badass and you won't get that any other way. They're much better than they used to be from what I can tell. I drove a new Nissan Altima with one and it was responsive and very smooth. Pretty efficient too, that thing gets like 38 mpg highway while still being a decent sized sedan. It is weird that it never shifts only because that's what most of us are used to. Once you get used to it though I don't see how it isn't better in nearly every way.

Subaru's technology is generally at least a generation behind other manufacturers, and other manufacturers' CVTs weren't that great until recently. Subaru will get there someday.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I wonder what the 2013 Legacy B4 Turbo with a CVT feels like... twin scroll'ed FA with crazy low down torque? Must be interesting at least.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Motor Trend seems to like the latest Impreza CVT, although this review is from October 2011.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1109_2012_subaru_impreza_premium_and_limited_first_test/specs.html

quote:

The CVT-equipped Impreza was equally at home on the twisties. Everything its hatchback sibling could do on the back roads, the four-door could do just as well. While the enthusiast's choice is going to be the manual-equipped hatch, buyers who opt for the CVT aren't going to feel like they're missing out.

Subaru's second generation Lineartronic CVT is arguably one of the best in the business. It does a remarkable job of not feeling like a lifeless elastic rubber band, as many other CVTs do. Half of that has to do with the engine it's mated to, and the other half to how the transmission was engineered. Unlike in many CVTs, Subaru engineers decided to forgo the rubber belt, instead replacing it with a metal one. The result is a transmission that feels less elastic and more linear, like a traditional automatic.
They also have a CVT Impreza in their "long-term" fleet but I didn't see any mention of the CVT with a cursory glance.

Consumer Reports test of a 2013 Legacy (this is the car originally asked about) said this about the powertrain (requires subscription):

quote:

Powertrain: The redesigned 173-hp, 2.5-liter "flat-four" engine delivers slightly quicker acceleration and fuel economy of 26 mpg overall, which is impressive for an AWD car. Still, most competing four-cylinder sedans are quicker.

The Legacy's real Achilles' heel is its continuously variable transmission. It's well behaved during casual driving, but it tends to exacerbate engine noise when you're accelerating or merging on the highway, and its performance is a bit rough around the edges.
So, you know, it sounds like maybe it's worth a test drive but most of us AIers like manuals, of course.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CharlesM posted:

So, you know, it sounds like maybe it's worth a test drive but most of us AIers like manuals, of course.

Except grover :v:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I've got an 01 Forester GT with a B4 engine in it (thats a ej20H right?). I was thinking of swapping in a ej20t but the workshop that I asked said that because its a liberty engine in there its going to be a big pain in the rear end to take it out because nothing lines up perfectly and it'll cost me heaps more in labour than if it was just a regular ej20t engine in there. That sounds like bullshit to me. Is there any truth to that? I heard subaru engine swaps are among the easiest.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Nierbo posted:

I've got an 01 Forester GT with a B4 engine in it (thats a ej20H right?). I was thinking of swapping in a ej20t but the workshop that I asked said that because its a liberty engine in there its going to be a big pain in the rear end to take it out because nothing lines up perfectly and it'll cost me heaps more in labour than if it was just a regular ej20t engine in there. That sounds like bullshit to me. Is there any truth to that? I heard subaru engine swaps are among the easiest.

Maybe go single turbo? They aren't the best EJ's out there, but unless you want crazy power is a good turbo motor, a friend of mine went single turbo on that EJ20H with a VF23, the mechanicals we're fine, block an oil line here, eliminate rat's nest vaccum box of death there, but the ECU was a bit more difficult, if you have a 02+' B4 engine with the DENSO ecu, you can get an opensource tune and make it work, if you have a JECS ECU your only solution is piggy-back (some people don't like it, but my friend's car had a healthy 295 WHP) like an E-manage or crazy a expensive EcuTek solution.

Or just tune your twins! ... I like B4's... I miss mine a bit, I tuned out the valley of death thing and kept it twin turbo, other subby guys were impressed when an automatic old rear end legacy jumped them off the line at the track.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Trip report: 5w40 and Lucas goo made my piston slap almost disappear when hot, but made little difference when cold. I'm still happy because it's better than it was before :toot:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

It's what makes a subaru a subaru

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You could try a 10w50 or 15w50, that would be thicker when cold.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

stevobob posted:

Trip report: 5w40 and Lucas goo made my piston slap almost disappear when hot, but made little difference when cold. I'm still happy because it's better than it was before :toot:

You engine is most likely toast.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

daslog posted:

You engine is most likely toast.

Cold piston slap isn't really an issue or a problem.

edit: I just realized I used my REI membership card to scrape ice off the windshield of my Subaru wagon. :feelsgood:

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 12, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJ Commie posted:

Cold piston slap isn't really an issue or a problem.

edit: I just realized I used my REI membership card to scrape ice off the windshield of my Subaru wagon.

Warm piston slap is.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Well in that case, I hope it lasts until spring because then I'll just ride my bike all the time until I replace them/engine swap.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Installed yesterday. As you can see with the screw all the way in the ratchet+bit barely clears the tire, I had to come in from an angle at the start to make it work but since I didn't own any jack stands/nice lift it was easier for me to do that vs. taking wheels off the car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Guys, I'm stuck. No, quit taking pictures! Get me out of here!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I cant stop posting about how much fun I had with my Scoob today

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I welded on some mounting tabs so I could have cool fog light grills like you Billy Tully :allears:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

They look great Sock! Going for the sexy Foz look :)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sockington posted:

I welded on some mounting tabs so I could have cool fog light grills like you Billy Tully :allears:

Socknton, Yours to discover. :heysexy:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mulligan posted:

Maybe go single turbo? They aren't the best EJ's out there, but unless you want crazy power is a good turbo motor, a friend of mine went single turbo on that EJ20H with a VF23, the mechanicals we're fine, block an oil line here, eliminate rat's nest vaccum box of death there, but the ECU was a bit more difficult, if you have a 02+' B4 engine with the DENSO ecu, you can get an opensource tune and make it work, if you have a JECS ECU your only solution is piggy-back (some people don't like it, but my friend's car had a healthy 295 WHP) like an E-manage or crazy a expensive EcuTek solution.

Or just tune your twins! ... I like B4's... I miss mine a bit, I tuned out the valley of death thing and kept it twin turbo, other subby guys were impressed when an automatic old rear end legacy jumped them off the line at the track.

Thanks for the reply. Its already running a single turbo actually but my main problem is that I didn't know it had the engine swap done befire I bought it so I've got no documentation, I don't know how many klms the engine has done and the mechanic said the swap wasn't exactly perfect. My plan was to end up with an ej20 with a vf series turbo but if its worth it, I might just leave the engine in and change the turbo and if the engine dies, then get the engine swap done. Any thoughts?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The 2.0 that's in there and almost any other 2.0 is going to be the almost exactly the same anyway (unless you get an STi 2.0). So it sounds like your problem is more to do with the wiring and tune so I would worry more about getting that sorted out than swapping engines and turbos.

I don't know what the shop means by "nothing lines up perfectly." Ask them for more details about that?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, well that settles it then, I'll just sort out whats in there. One last thing; when I hit boost often it smokes a little bit from under the hood but if I change up really early and avoid boost it doesn't. Whats likely to be going on there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Exhaust leak, either you reused a gasket or something wasn't tightened down properly.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, thanks for ya help guys.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Larrymer posted:

CVT's are a pretty smart idea regardless of what the Aussie thinks.

That's true, they are a goodish idea in theory.

But so far in practice I'm completely underwhelmed - The implementations leave a lot to be desired. Personally if you want a self shifter, a DSG has GOT to be the best thing going right now - Auto mode kicks a CVT rear end and the manual mode is of course vastly better. Should be in a nice Audi on Wednesday that I'm looking forward to driving in, never driven an Audi before.

I really gotta fix the old Forester the parental unit has - it's showing it's age (Still a good thing though, always like driving it). I do have a lot of WRX parts sitting around

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Well I just had a loving terrible month with my LGT. The clutch blew up at 36,000 miles for reasons unknown (I baby the poo poo out of my car, never do clutch drops or ride the clutch) and managed to destroy the dual mass flywheel. So in order to keep the warranty on the rest of the car, I had to use a genuine Subaru retarded flywheel. Then, the day after it was fixed, some rear end in a top hat smashes in my driver's side window, stealing nothing in the car (not even a chocolate bar in the console). gently caress you, Subaru 5-speeds, and gently caress you, Chicago.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I noticed a rattling sound from the front of my Outback this morning. I had to drive my girlfriend to the airport, so I decided to check it out. Turns out one of the nuts that hold my lightbar to the frame of the car had worked its way off. I scrounged in my toolbox for a replacement, and when I went to bend the splash guard to replace the nut, a split ring lock washer fell out. I thought to myself, "Well, that didn't do its job."

Not as exciting as your story, bidikyoopi. That sucks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It snowed like two feet last week so yesterday I finally traded the bike rack for ski racks and the summer tires for snows:

It's fun. Thanks seat safety switch for the tires!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can only imagine how much better those were than the summers you were on previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Thankfully I didn't have to try. There hasn't really been snow on the roads in town until now.