Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zassiliss posted:

Don't feel too bad, I'm fairly certain that it wasn't mentioned once overtly on the show itself. Just another one of those things that you notice while re-watching (and desperately waiting for March to come).

I like that, actually. It's nice. Easter egg, almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
So given how much Miho's family is obsessed with winning at all costs. I would be greatly entertained if Miho's entire plan is to point out how flawed such a statement is by forcing her sister to sacrifice 19 more advanced late WWII tanks to take out 7 inferior early WWII tanks and ending the battle with Miho telling Maho that even if she takes the win, it would be so Pyrrhic that it would be considered a complete loss by anyone who knows about Tankery.

Is there a reason why they didn't put the original Panzer IV's cannon on the Type 89? I don't think I see that gun anywhere and giving the Type 89 something that can actually do some damage would be nice, similarly aside from having an extra body on the field why are they still using it?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Because the Type 89 is meant to be a joke tank. If it was actually useful in combat then that would ruin the spirit of that tank.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Wind Tempest posted:

Is there a reason why they didn't put the original Panzer IV's cannon on the Type 89? I don't think I see that gun anywhere and giving the Type 89 something that can actually do some damage would be nice, similarly aside from having an extra body on the field why are they still using it?

That thing wouldn't even fit in the turret, let alone the standard mountings being completely different.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Somehow I suspect that even if they managed to jury rig it onto the chassis, the forces generated by it firing would be smilar to what happened when the Soviets tried to fire 152mm AP rounds out of the KV-2 (It involves a broken turret)

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's so face palming about the Tiger P catching fire?

It has spent about 3 episodes since discovery 'getting ready'. Proceeds to get stuck and light on fire. You'd think the issue with Porsche engines would have been rectified somewhere between the present time of this show and WW loving II. The Char B1 bis they got spent one episode, worked flawlessly and somehow manages to keep up with the rest of the tanks (it is physically incapable of doing more than 22kmh unless falling down a hill). It's silly ribbing on how notorious German engines were to break down and light on fire, absent of any battle damage taken whatsoever.

I can't really stay too mad. Any chance you get to piss of Nazi apologists, you take it. And boy will that piss 'em off. Still a shame to do it to, quite arguably, the best of the two Tiger designs. Watching a Tiger H burn to the ground miles from battle would get my full and complete support.

Now, for some context..

Isizzlehorn posted:

Exploring a reincarnated Hitler inbetween tank battles would be an improvement by a significant factor for that show. But, it's anime with schoolgirls. I'm stunned they haven't done a beach episode yet.
:negative: GODDAMMIT

Maybe.. they'll bring tanks with them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Isizzlehorn posted:

Still a shame to do it to, quite arguably, the best of the two Tiger designs.

Wait, what? In World of Tanks the Tiger P’s redeeming feature is 200 mm of frontal armour.

In real life, it didn’t have (nor need) those extra armour plates, but it was even less reliable than the Tiger H. Weight distribution was poor, and Porsche’s rubbish suspensions didn’t help. The chassis was too long, and the gun was mounted too far forward (which is a problem when your barrel doesn’t have noclip). To top it all off, the hybrid electric drivetrain used tonnes of copper.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC, the single Tiger(P) that saw combat duty (as command tank of a battalion of Ferdinand/Elefant heavy tank destroyers) actually did end up with another 100mm of extra armor put on the front in the field.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Magni posted:

IIRC, the single Tiger(P) that saw combat duty (as command tank of a battalion of Ferdinand/Elefant heavy tank destroyers) actually did end up with another 100mm of extra armor put on the front in the field.

Yes, but there’s no reason that armour couldn’t have been bolted to Henschel’s Tiger instead. In fact, the Tiger H suspension and drive train probably would have handled it better than the Tiger P’s. The Tiger P was rejected for performing worse even before the armour was added.

The reason production Tigers didn’t have 200 mm of frontal armour is because it was unnecessary against most of the guns being fired at them and it would have used scarce steel (and oil to move the extra weight) and exacerbated the Tiger’s mobility and reliability issues.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A lot of time is being spent comparing this anime to an MMO.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wind Tempest posted:

So given how much Miho's family is obsessed with winning at all costs. I would be greatly entertained if Miho's entire plan is to point out how flawed such a statement is by forcing her sister to sacrifice 19 more advanced late WWII tanks to take out 7 inferior early WWII tanks and ending the battle with Miho telling Maho that even if she takes the win, it would be so Pyrrhic that it would be considered a complete loss by anyone who knows about Tankery.

Sounds a bit right, has a very Saving Private Ryan feel to it, the final battle there from either perspective if you think about it.

quote:

I can't really stay too mad. Any chance you get to piss of Nazi apologists, you take it. And boy will that piss 'em off. Still a shame to do it to, quite arguably, the best of the two Tiger designs. Watching a Tiger H burn to the ground miles from battle would get my full and complete support.

At least it was funny :v:

quote:

The reason production Tigers didn’t have 200 mm of frontal armour is because it was unnecessary against most of the guns being fired at them and it would have used scarce steel (and oil to move the extra weight) and exacerbated the Tiger’s mobility and reliability issues.

How come they never refitted the Tiger production lines to give it slopped armor?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Raenir Salazar posted:

How come they never refitted the Tiger production lines to give it slopped armor?

Why would they make such a radical change to the production of a tank that was very successful after its initial teething problems? During the middle of a war when they hadn't yet even hit they're month production goals? When they already were designing and building its successor, the Tiger 2 and Panther who featured sloped armor and guns just as good or better?

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 21, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ElBrak posted:

Before this is over I better god damned well see a T-35. I don't care if its a two second shot of it broken down in a field, I wanna see that wacky tank.

KV-VI or bust :colbert:

Yes I know it's a hoax shut up

Seriously, look at that crazy poo poo.

Isizzlehorn posted:

It has spent about 3 episodes since discovery 'getting ready'. Proceeds to get stuck and light on fire. You'd think the issue with Porsche engines would have been rectified somewhere between the present time of this show and WW loving II.

Maybe the rules of the contest forbid them from making any drastic changes to the original tank design, else Saunders would have used their massive resources to put, I dunno, laser sights or the like on their tanks.

In any case, they're gonna show filler OVA episodes between Episode 10 and the finale, am I understanding that right? Why not show the original episodes in the first place? Or upload them to the 'net?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If this was a shonen battle instead of a sports anime, I wouldn't have settled for anything less than the Ratte.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
If this was a shonen anime the *might* have just finished the Saunders match at this point. :D

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Isizzlehorn posted:

Now, for some context..

:negative: GODDAMMIT

Maybe.. they'll bring tanks with them?

Only if the Saunders school launches a d-day invasion on them with those submersible Sherman tanks just so they can share some BBQ and play beach volleyball.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm less disappointed at the fanservice (Blu-ray extras are usually guaranteed to be raunchier than regular episodes) than at how lazy the animation was.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe the rules of the contest forbid them from making any drastic changes to the original tank design, else Saunders would have used their massive resources to put, I dunno, laser sights or the like on their tanks.

In any case, they're gonna show filler OVA episodes between Episode 10 and the finale, am I understanding that right? Why not show the original episodes in the first place? Or upload them to the 'net?

I think I've seen someone translate a couple rules from addittional material. Only stuff that was at least in the prototype stage by August '45 is allowed, any modifications have to be possible with stuff avaiabkle at the same date. Tanks have to receive additional protective equipment and those nifty white flags and all ammo is specifically made and supplied by the league.

They only put the episodes up on the net simultaneously with bringing them on TV and they couldn't buy any spots earlier than March. Well, the nice side is that they've got a lot of time to get the quality right for those last two episodes.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

The last episode we get until march is the recap episode we get next week. The OVAs are extra on the Blu-rays and will be coming out every month or so. Japanese TV stations book their schedule months in advance so they couldn't get any extra slots to air the last few episodes which explains the wait.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
There's also a manga that is getting translated by fan groups, though it's quite a bit slower than the show and not a 1:1 equivalent. (The manga skips the fight with the US school but does show the one with the Italians.)

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The interesting part of the manga is that Akiyama is the main character and it's told from her point of view.
The light novel is also told from a different point of view with Saori as the main character.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if the girls driving the Grant felt like this.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, I found a thing that might be related:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That is the best. :3:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what's up with this delay? We're not getting the last episode or so until March?

Also, did you guys hear about the probable second season?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So the first OVA is out, it's a "let's buy swimsuits" episode so it's not great though there are a few amusing bits like Yukari's opinion on swimwear and some stuff with the other teams.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
"Armored Swimsuits" :stare:

This is why I like watching this. The OVA is unusually good for a swimsuit/beach episode.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The fashion designers in this world are insane.

Hilariously insane.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
They censored the Afrika Korps emblem. I guess I shouldn't too surprised.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tonberrytoby posted:

"Armored Swimsuits" :stare:

No joke, but if you made armoured boxers I'd wear them EVERYWHERE.

I also giggled when it started raining as soon as they got there. A simple joke, but hey, I'm a simple person! :v:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I loving love the cover for the soundtrack album.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Monkey Man posted:

I loving love the cover for the soundtrack album.

Not just that but full length version of Katyusha :neckbeard:, the longer version has a much more noticeable Japanese accent. :allears:

Welp, there goes the next few hours as I shift through these to add to my mp3 player.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I just loved how incredibly excited everyone was the entire episode. Somehow it felt less like a creepy fan-service episode and more the teams just having a really fun time :3:.

The panther/panzer thing made me laugh for some reason, and everyone saying frilly frilly over and over

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Previews for the second OVA:

Does anyone know exactly when in March the last two episodes will air, and will they be streamed on crunchyroll?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The History Club seriously need their own spinoff :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am sad, the Snow March song hasn't made it in, neither the lullaby song Nonna sung it seems :(

Although I think I found the latter song in question

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
A car decked out in impressive Girls und Panzer-themed decals:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/01/19/girls-und-panzer-itasha-on-display-in-tokyo

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Maruyama is still looking in the wrong direction.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok so coming from WoT, this is probably the first Subbed anime I have actually enjoyed from start to ep10. All the little details and tank stuff really is pretty slick and the humor and singing mixed in is a good touch. I have to ask though, what's the main girls obsession with injured teddy bears about? And on another note, does this show have a good chance of being converted fully to English down the road? I haven't been into much anime long but since a few interesting ones came out on Netflix, it has been interesting to say the least. (Trigun really is the first one I every watched through back in college).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When I was in Oarai a few weeks ago ads for this show were everywhere and I can't help but be curious now., Is it interesting enough to bother watching as a person who typically doesn't watch anime?

• Locked thread