Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Andorra posted:

No man, people act just like they do in the movies. Everybody who plays football is a dumb jock.

I mean, as someone who played football for seven goddamned years of my life, I'd honestly say that probably only, like, thirty percent fit under the umbrella of "dumb jock."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixteenjulietgreen
Sep 26, 2012

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity." - George Carlin.

Grand Gigas posted:

I mean, as someone who played football for seven goddamned years of my life, I'd honestly say that probably only, like, thirty percent fit under the umbrella of "dumb jock."

The "nerds vs jocks" stereotype was never really a thing at my school, either. Yeah, people got bullied and poo poo, but it was usually within their own social circles and usually not for stuff as mundane as their hobbies. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it seems to happen a lot less than movies/television makes it out to. It makes me wonder - did the "popular kids v.s. nerds" stereotypes ever really exist, or was it all just some media created conspiracy? :iiam:

Anyways, content:

Not Always Right posted:

(I work at a car wash that often sees high-end vehicles such as Ferraris. In fact, we get so much people staring that we’d actually had to change our exit to the road as people always bunched up around the cars making exiting difficult. The exit is very well signed, with big white lines being drawn; not a single accident has happened. However, one day, someone in a very banged-up Volkswagen wants to save time by driving into the exit so he could get to the pump quicker, but drives straight into a brand new Ferrari.)

Volkswagen Driver: “My car! Look at what you have done to my car!”

Ferrari Driver: “Pardon me?!”

Volkswagen Driver: “Look at what you have done to my car with your s*** Lamborghini!”

Ferrari Driver: “First of all, this is a Ferrari. Secondly, I honestly can’t tell if the big dent in your car was there to begin with or not. Judging by the state of your vehicle, it must have been. But, seeing how you have damaged my vehicle, we are going to have a problem.”

Volkswagen Driver: “Pssh. Your car isn’t worth half of mine! See the audio equipment in my baby, buddy? 500 Euros!”

(The Ferrari driver gets on his phone as the Volkswagen driver continues to rant about how that ‘piece of s*** Porsche’ ruined his car. Sure enough, the police arrive and take statements. Once they take the Ferrari owner’s statement and review our security footage, the Volkswagen driver is blamed.)

Volkswagen Driver: “F*** you, a**holes!” I’m not going to pay for that wreck!”

Police Officer: “You certainly are, but we’ll discuss that on the station.”

Volkswagen Driver: “Why?!”

Police Officer: “Well, to start with, you’ve given us false details. Following that, you caused an accident and refused to settle this correctly whilst clearly being to blame. Following that, we have done a check on your vehicle and it’s uninsured. Also, you don’t have a licence and you’re wanted for two hit and runs.”

(At that moment the Volkswagen driver starts to run. His mistake is trying to run past the Ferrari driver, who has been calm and collected through the whole ordeal. Without a single second thought, the Ferrari driver takes a swing at the Volkswagen driver; who gets hit in the stomach and collapses for the police officers to arrest him. We learn that the Volkswagen driver was put in jail for four years for various offences, while the Ferrari driver was let off with a warning.)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I knew a troper. An actual, honest-to-god TVTroper. He was the guy who told me about the site in the first place, back in high school. Probably 2004 or so.

Christ. High school was that long ago.

These people are basically the endgame of that kid. Very few friends, absolutely no sense of what is and is not socially appropriate, and a lot smugger than he has any right to be. Smart, but not the genius he thinks he is and has probably grown up being told he is. He was basically Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, only without the Ph.D. and he once tried to show me his boner. In class.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kamcalste posted:

The "nerds vs jocks" stereotype was never really a thing at my school, either. Yeah, people got bullied and poo poo, but it was usually within their own social circles and usually not for stuff as mundane as their hobbies. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it seems to happen a lot less than movies/television makes it out to. It makes me wonder - did the "popular kids v.s. nerds" stereotypes ever really exist, or was it all just some media created conspiracy? :iiam:

Anyways, content:

I really don't remember cliques being a huge thing in my high school. There was bullying, I'm sure, but it was never "here are the nerds, here are the jocks," etc.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, my little brother had long hair in 7th grade and he actually got stalked by some creep who thought he was a girl :negative:

Anyway, I only found one really boring story on the Hannibal Lecture section of Troper Tales, so I looked into, uh, "reason you suck":

I like how the speech is delivered in a "calm monotonic voice", but is laced with exclamation marks.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I think Tropers by and large think monotone just means calm and collected. I've seen a few people say they delivered a devastating speech in a "cold monotone" or something and all I can imagine is them talking like a robot through the whole thing.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

kamcalste posted:

I was bullied quite a bit back in high school, and my worse bullies were the kids no one liked. What few jocks and popular people that existed had no beef with me. Everyone else had their cliques that they stuck with. I guess in real life, "jocks" are just student athletes, and "popular people" are people who get along with everyone. Popular people being assholes to everyone and treating the school's hallways as Fashion Week runways while never having to answer to authority is only a thing in movies and on tv. :ms:

constantIllusion has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 10, 2013

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

constantIllusion posted:

Popular people being assholes to everyone and treating the school's hallways as Fashion Week runways while never having to answer to authority is only a thing in movies and on tv. :ms:

Sadly not so at my school - the so-called popular kids were the bullies, though they'd often turn on their own at random and ostracise a former 'cool kid' completely. But yeah, the rest of the time seemed to be spent being pricks to everyone else, so God knows why we considered them 'popular'.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Can we not talk about high school politics that happened?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
re: Hannibal Lecter

I always assumed that these posters imitating him were trying to prove how 'quirky', 'different' and totally 'evil' they are. Going against the grain, special snowflake and all that.

Edit: And likely some wish fulfillment as well.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

How many of these stories involving a rich dude and a non-rich dude have the rich one be the a good guy, anyway?

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Also, remember that these are the nerds who always love the villains in their animes because they're so complex and misunderstood~

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Defeatist Elitist posted:

What's really funny is that, despite how much they hate "jocks", they have no loving clue how these people even act half the time. I mean, every time I've been playing D&D or doing some other nerdy poo poo and some someone comes up and asks what's happening, they either just go "Oh" and walk away afterward (usually), or they ask how you play.

Basically, just because you're a sociopath doesn't mean everybody else is!

I once had a Hateful Dumb Popular Football Jock walk up while I was making character sheets and instead of the weird hosed-up masochism troper fantasy of getting wedgied or laughed at I just ended up running a quick demo of Hunter: The Reckoning for him in the back of a school bus.

granted I was not in an 80's underdog movie and we were not in rival summer camps at the time but

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My Junior year in high school, the valedictorian was also the star football player and an all around nice guy.

I never knew the jocks (even the "dumb" ones) at my school to be any more likely to pick on folks than anyone else. The only person who ever consistently picked on me after my Freshman year turned out to be a Narc trying to build a cover.
He apologized to me after someone found his badge and he got outed.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

kamcalste posted:

In middle school I was made fun of for liking Star Trek. In highschool the bullies had discovered scfi and pot and just hung out with us, becuase we were not anti-social spergs, just nerdy guys who also liked scfi and pot. I cant honestly think of anyone in highschool actually on a sports team who was a brain dead jock bully. Those were usually the anti-social kids who just had hard home lives and acted out for lack of a better outlet. Poor guys. Even then it was some verbal harrasment that you ignored and moved on from. Sadly no one in my school stopped everyone by saying a movie line and then roundhouse kicking a bully though a wall. Must have gone to a boring school.

TyrsHTML has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Jan 11, 2013

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TyrsHTML posted:

In middle school I was made fun of for liking Star Trek. In highschool the bullies had discovered scfi and pot and just hung out with us, becuase we were not anti-social spergs, just nerdy guys who also liked scfi and pot. I cant honestly think of anyone in highschool actually on a sports team who was a brain dead jock bully. Those were usually the anti-social kids who just had hard home lives and acted out for lack of a better outlet. Poor guys. Even then it was some verbal harrasment that you ignored and moved on from. Sadly no one in my school stopped everyone by saying a movie line and then roundhouse kicking a bully though a wall. Must have gone to a boring school.

Yeah, "the jocks" were always at my group of friend's parties because of drugs, liquor, and a place to do those things. We didn't really associate at school, but were always friends on the weekends.

Tropers are just weird and create enemies, I think.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Whole lotta stuff in this thread. Goons laying down sick burns on those dumb girls :argh:

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

TyrsHTML posted:

I can and you can too if you probably think hard enough, but that isn't why they're remembered. The two bullies that fit this description in my highschool, one of them was kicked off the basketball team eventually because of grades and the other was someone no one on the team actually liked and gathered a group of posers around him. Even he didn't do it that much bullying to anyone one person, he was just an rear end in a top hat. The only people I can think go that acted way where two gym teachers and just one of the aforementioned posers that hang around the rear end in a top hat on the team no one liked. Higschoolers act like loving sociopaths but they really don't really go around harassing people like they do in middle school.

Also the star of the wrestling team was big anime fan and huge YugiOh/Magic fan and used to play with everyone during zero period. Most of the jocks weren't nerds, but half my gaming group was.

Undead Unicorn has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Jan 11, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

In my highschool the two stars of the football team both played WoW and got our physics teacher to teach them DnD. All these "dumb jocks :smug:" stories are the most obvious STDH. Sadly people on tvtropes fail to realize that tvtropes are well, TV tropes and don't work very well in the real world.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

slingshot effect posted:

Whole lotta stuff in this thread. Goons laying down sick burns on those dumb girls :argh:

Oh god yes, a rich vein of STDH -

GrickleGrass posted:

Just remembered a teacher in elementary school, seventh grade I think, who refused to use the word "history" (though she taught the subject) and instead referred to it as "herstory." She told us this boldly on the first day of class, saying that history was a sexist term because it meant his story-- "It purposely excludes women's contributions to history, it's a term created by men to oppress women!"

She neglected the fact that "herstory" was just as offensive by her logic, just the other way around. Any argument that pointed this out resulted in detention. I was an argumentative little poo poo back then who didn't know how to let things slide, so she rightfully hated me. She legitimately hated men, though, not sure why-- she was engaged and previously worked at hooters according to a friends dad.

Also, there were rumours she banged Nickelback, as she supposedly "met them" and told us she could totally get us all autographs if we wanted, all we had to do was sign a sheet and she'd give it to them to personalize them all for us. I didn't sign the sheet, along with a few other kids, as (and I quote) "Nickelback sucks!" I still remember the evil eye she shot me for not signing the drat sheet. I didn't want Nickelback's lovely autograph. Turned out nobody got an autograph, and she pretended she didn't remember when a few kids who were genuinely let down confronted her at the year's end.

Worst mark I've ever received in a history class, and I love history. I argued it with the principal, bringing a couple of my female friends with me with all of our final exams to compare long-answer questions that were similar, where they'd gotten full marks and I hadn't. It resulted in a huge debacle where the principal, teacher and I all had to sit down and go through my entire year's worth of work to prove I wasn't a low seventies student. I got my mark raised fifteen percent or so, and wasn't even reprimanded for my penis-drawings and assorted other doodles in the margins of my work. The principal later apologized to me, but commented I should keep my "art" and my schoolwork separate.

I don't know why I went through all the trouble. It was elementary school, it's not like my marks mattered, but I guess I was on an angsty crusade to prove a point because I felt I was being treated unfairly and I hated that poo poo as a kid.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Should really be thonstory.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

Oh god yes, a rich vein of STDH -
I was about to post that one. As the person who made that thread, I buy most of the stories in it, but that one just made me sigh heavily.

Also where the hell is 7th grade considered elementary school?

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
Ha ha! I really showed that dumb slut feminist when I went over her head and complained to the principle like a big boy! He actually gave enough of a poo poo to spend time going through a seventh graders notes and I got marked up fifteen percent! She got so sad she hanged herself and a car crashed into her house and the house blew up and the pieces melted and some birds ate the pieces and pooped them on a cemetery

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

There actually are people who say poo poo like "herstory", but I think feminists and linguists alike can agree that they're idiots.

Do people who think like that even realize that there are other languages? History comes from Middle French estoire/estorie, not "his story".

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some parts of Australia elementary is 1-7 and high school is 8-12.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bertrand Hustle posted:

There actually are people who say poo poo like "herstory", but I think feminists and linguists alike can agree that they're idiots.

Do people who think like that even realize that there are other languages? History comes from Middle French estoire/estorie, not "his story".

Fictional characters created for the sole purpose of being stupid and so goddamn crazy aren't known for being well-rounded individuals.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I was just thinking about Troper Tales and realized that not only have these people not been in a fight but they seem to have never seen a fight outside of the movies. Every time I saw a fight in high school, it was sloppy and awkward. No one was doing any special moves and delivering dry witticisms, it was mostly just people slapping at each other until they got bored.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

slingshot effect posted:

Has the whole "Why is semen taste so salty?" story been posted in that thread yet? I'd expect that to show up as often as La-a and Orangejello show up in the terrible name thread.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jodai posted:

I was just thinking about Troper Tales and realized that not only have these people not been in a fight but they seem to have never seen a fight outside of the movies. Every time I saw a fight in high school, it was sloppy and awkward. No one was doing any special moves and delivering dry witticisms, it was mostly just people slapping at each other until they got bored.

Choreography is a magical thing.

From Not Always Related, the family version of all this other poo poo.

Not Always Related posted:

(I am sitting in the passenger seat with my dad driving and my mom in the back seat.)

Dad: *to me* “You have adjusted the seat as if you have long legs.”

Me: “I have a short torso and long legs. My friend has a long torso and short legs.”

Mom: “I am proportionally correct.”

Me: “It’s better to have short legs and long torso as a guy. Creates nice proportion when you’re a guy.”

Dad: “No such thing.”

Me: *wags my finger to my dad* “Someone contributed too much!”

Mom: “Must be your dad.”

Dad: “Okay, okay. It’s me.”

Dad: “I was being politically correct when I said okay.”

Mom: “Agree to disagree!”

:megaman: BEEP BOOP I AM PROPORTIONALLY CORRECT. I AM FULLY FUNCTIONAL. *wags finger* Ohohohohoho! :mmmhmm:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't even get it. What's the loving point of the story?

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
My parents were arguing whose toxic genes contributed most to my tiny squat Grimm's Fairy Tales torso and my towering giraffe's legs cause I am a dumb ugly rear end hole and they know it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leofish posted:

Choreography is a magical thing.

From Not Always Related, the family version of all this other poo poo.

:megaman: BEEP BOOP I AM PROPORTIONALLY CORRECT. I AM FULLY FUNCTIONAL. *wags finger* Ohohohohoho! :mmmhmm:

I'm sorry, you're mother has a runtime error and we're going to have to restore her to factory settings.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Australia was mentioned above; also Canada. Every school district I've ever been in has elementary as K-7. Also I legitimately did have a teacher try to tell us history was a sexist term derived from "his story". Unfortunately idiots really do end up being teachers sometimes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Excuse me, but my allergy medication is sexist. Please prescribe me an antiHERstamine.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

Has the whole "Why is semen taste so salty?" story been posted in that thread yet? I'd expect that to show up as often as La-a and Orangejello show up in the terrible name thread.

That got stamped out in the first post and hasn't been brought up yet (come close, though). It will eventually by someone who just read the thread title and nothing else.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A variant was posted on the bottom of the first page. Unsurprisingly it resulted in a probation.

Midjack posted:

High school biology teacher had 2 good ones.

When I had the class, she said that unborn babies get oxygen via inhaling amniotic fluid. I didn't feel like arguing and neither did anyone else in the class.

Four years later my brother was in her class. In addition to the above gem, they were going over a unit on sexuality and she was explaining the composition of semen.

:eng101:... and then the seminal vesicles, like, pour gatorade on the sperm. That's what makes it taste sweet!

After about 5 seconds of stunned silence the classroom erupted in laughter and after a couple of feeble attempts to salvage the situation, the teacher fled the room.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't even get it. What's the loving point of the story?

The main point I'm getting is that the guy who wrote it can't do dialogue to save his life.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

General Panic posted:

The main point I'm getting is that the guy who wrote it can't do dialogue to save his life.

Yeah, that was the most cumbersome bit of dialogue that I've read in a while.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was on reddit today (whoops) and found this

quote:

A "womens idealism on arts and art culture" class was offered as one of the compulsory credit builders at my school. None of the Credit Builders are any fun, So my friend and I chose to attend this one.
Its a pass or fail based on Attendance only, so all you need to do is show up.
My friend and I went to the Costume Store room and explained our idea to the eccentric gay man who works there who also agreed it aws hilarious.
For the rest of term my friend (male) showed up in a lounge suit while i (female) showed up in different historical outfits to serve him cookies, act as a human foot stool, or hold his pipe.
when ever the teacher would ask me a question I would look at my friend and say "Oh, I don't know about such matters, such talk is for the more educated men folk"
The final project was meant to be an artwork showing the suffering of women. a lot of the class members did really contempory bullshit artworks like gluing a leaf to a pen and hanging it from string. So I figured I could also go equally as crazy, and just give my teacher a rag with some tomato sauce on it.
I got 94% in that class
Turns out my teacher didn't realize my friend and I were loving with them. He thought we were drama students using our art to show female suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That would be kind of awesome as a genuine project instead of some idiotic "lol feminists r dum amirite" thing.

E: how do you get 94% in a class where the grade is based purely on attendance and think it had anything to do with your totally-not-made-up trolling of an entire class for a whole semester?

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jan 11, 2013

• Locked thread