Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

I really liked it. Dredd is so hardcore.

There was no need to hotshot that perp in the face and melt his head from the inside out, he could just have easily have shot him with a regular bullet, or even stunned him.

But that wasn't THE LAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Hahaha there is no way, the set pieces and characters are so similar it's scary.

I know you thought you were being clever and all, but there's no need to be a total tit, especially when you're completely in the wrong.

quote:

Are you aware that the new Judge Dredd film has basically the same plot as The Raid?

Gareth Evans: Yes. It was weird, because, while we were in post on The Raid, I was telling a friend what the story was about – a bunch of guys storming a building. And he said, that’s like the new Judge Dredd movie. And I said, “What?”

He sent me a link that explained the story, and I said, “Oh God, we have to get this released very, very soon.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/21335/the-raid-qa-director-gareth-evans-and-star-iko-uwais

Edit: I was unnecessarily mean here because I thought you were being a dick earlier. It was poor form. I'm sorry, Peven Stan.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 10, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Spalec posted:

There was no need to hotshot that perp in the face and melt his head from the inside out, he could just have easily have shot him with a regular bullet, or even stunned him.

But that wasn't THE LAW.

The Judgement was Death.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

I know you thought you were being clever and all, but there's no need to be a total tit, especially when you're completely in the wrong.

I think he meant "haha no way" in the sense of "that's crazy" vs. calling everyone liars.

The similarities between the two movies are uncanny, but there is almost no way it wasn't pure coincidence.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I think he meant "haha no way" in the sense of "that's crazy" vs. calling everyone liars.

I guess that may have been a possibility.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think the current theory is that The Raid is so similar is because the Judge Dredd script was leaked to the internet in 2010.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

I think the current theory is that The Raid is so similar is because the Judge Dredd script was leaked to the internet in 2010.

Yeah,this is really why I've been a little bemused by the number of people,film critics included,who wrote Dredd off as a rip-off of The Raid. If anything, the reverse is more likely given the circumstances surrounding both films. Of course it didn't help that the studio chose to hold Dredd back from release for 12 months and let The Raid beat them to the punch... :doh:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I didn't really find them that similar aside from basic premise, The Raid was much more a chop socky flick.

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough. :) Mostly just curious if there might have been something more for long time fans.

I think they were hinting at the fact that Dredd is actually portrayed as being kinda a softy when compared to other Judges in the comics so the "something else" was probably compassion. Most Judges wouldn't have given the homeless guy a chance to leave or stunned the kids instead of shooting them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

bobkatt013 posted:

I can see everything getting stupidly expensive due to the British fans.

Dredd/2000 AD aren't actually mainstream in the UK, there was a period in the early 80s when 2000AD was hot poo poo as far as comic books go, but it has never had the cultural impact of Marvel or DC stuff. It's obviously better known than in the states, but it is still a pretty niche franchise really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dredd was still #1 on Amazon last night when I ordered it. Has there been any talk about even a direct to video sequel? Those are usually awful, but if it goes campy low budget that may be the best treatment for the Cursed Earth and Judge Death. Like Starship Troopers IV or whatever they're up to now.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hopefully, the sales of the Blu-Ray and DVD will prove that there really is a desire for more Dredd. I loathed the fact that the only way I could see it was in 3D, which I think hurt the film way more than if it was mostly 2D showings. For me and a lot of people, 3D is an expensive gimmick.

moths posted:

Dredd was still #1 on Amazon last night when I ordered it. Has there been any talk about even a direct to video sequel? Those are usually awful, but if it goes campy low budget that may be the best treatment for the Cursed Earth and Judge Death. Like Starship Troopers IV or whatever they're up to now.

The real problem is that I cannot even name one direct-to-video sequel that was halfway decent and not just a blatant cash grab. Honestly, if we don't get a sequel, I'd rather have nothing. At this point, I take solace in the fact that a sequel may have turned out terrible. The movie that we got is amazing, which is more than most IPs can say.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Well, the best part is I have both the blu-ray of The Raid and Dredd, and can now have a "trapped in a building owned by a gang trying to kill us" marathon.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Well, the best part is I have both the blu-ray of The Raid and Dredd, and can now have a "trapped in a building owned by a gang trying to kill us" marathon.

It's not 100% on the nose, but you could likely add Assault on Precinct 13 to that marathon.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

moths posted:

I'd rather have the movie stand by itself than have sequels on par to what Starship Troopers had.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Pre-oredered the Blu. I loved the movie and feel so sad that it did so badly here in the UK. I went to go see it twice and took friends both times. Hopefully the blu-ray sales will highlight a decent amount of demand.

What a shame, this movie was awesome. No epic bullshit, romance, b-plots, just a grim cop shooting the gently caress out of a gang in a giant future building with great cinematography production.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never realized this until a friend pointed it out, but Anderson is probably one of the kickassist chicks in movies ever. Yes she gets captured, but she does not need to wait for Dredd to rescue her. She is completely in control of her situation, and escapes completely on her own, and even saves Dredd.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I never realized this until a friend pointed it out, but Anderson is probably one of the kickassist chicks in movies ever. Yes she gets captured, but she does not need to wait for Dredd to rescue her. She is completely in control of her situation, and escapes completely on her own, and even saves Dredd.
If she was in control she would have sensed danger!!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fenix down posted:

If she was in control she would have sensed danger!!!

Is that how she got her job on The Enterprise? I sense hostility (they are shooting at them)

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Anderson is loving awesome. Lesser badasses have to use their hands/arms and visible physical effort to break a dude's neck. She just kicks them really hard in the face. Now THAT'S a snap kick.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't feel bad about the props being up for sale later. Apparently the big new thing in hollywood is to sell off the props and just make/rent new poo poo for a new movie. That way they get new/better costumes and new shinier awesomer light up fantastical prop crap to fiddle with on screen.

I have seen em list stuff up since before the first Resident Evil movie, down to every Star Wars film. It's only the "death knell" for a TV show if they are getting rid of all the stuff. Hell, a friend of mine already owns a prop piece from the new Superman movie and it's still in post production.

Pretty much on a monthly basis there's an auction for some recent movies doodads or costumes by a prop buyer store.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

twistedmentat posted:

I completely agree. The mind gently caress sequence was awesome for the way she turned it around.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As a fan of asskicking chicks, explosions, political satire and gunfights, I just bought this bluray without having seen it in theaters.

Also because dammit, I bought this 3D TV and I might as well have one movie that makes use of it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're going to slag a movie at least pick the right loving image.

I wrote the guy as he's a local and hopefully he responds. Such a shame some newspapers didn't get this movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

She was a great character. It made me sad about society when I had the realization that I was actively noticing the movies lack of misogyny.

Vintersorg posted:

If you're going to slag a movie at least pick the right loving image.

Save for one sentence, he said nothing but good things about the movie and then gave it a terrible score. What a dumbass.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 10, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, my wording was poorly picked there as he's not really slagging it. Just that between the image of the Stallone flick and the low score, it's like no matter what is said no good luck can come for this movie.

I am not sure why I care so much as at least I am entertained but I feel like it's no fair to the people who put the effort into this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That review seems more out of touch than malicious. New Yorkers and residents of the US in general that I made watch the movie caught all the satire immediately (I mean they LITERALLY use the same drones we use now to watch the future version of east coast US, the classroom interrogation etc., the very constant surveillance everywhere). The critic obviously notices the dark sense of humor but doesn't catch on to how laser focused it is on the US government in particular. The message and themes of the movie are pretty obvious so, not being fully aware of how truly stupid and corrupt many city municipalities in the US are I can understand it seeming like a pointless message. So an average movie that looks and sounds great, gives it a slightly above average score.

Also how does this guy rate things? I've seen some rate descriptions where the critic gives a 2/4 to something that's good but pure genre, not particularly interesting, anything above transcends the genre and is worth a watch to some extent.

The score does surprise me somewhat though, reminds me of all the marketing dictated video game review scores where a critic may gush endlessly about the game in the body of the review, then give it a middling or below average score. The reverse happening just as often.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

It made me sad about society when I had the realization that I was actively noticing the movies lack of misogyny.
It's in there - the badguy was a redditor.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Crappy Jack posted:

As a fan of asskicking chicks, explosions, political satire and gunfights, I just bought this bluray without having seen it in theaters.

Also because dammit, I bought this 3D TV and I might as well have one movie that makes use of it.

I also bought this without seeing it at the theatre. Whoever said the visuals looked lovely, needs a better tv. I have a 5ish year old Samsung 67" LED DLP and it looked loving awesome. Just waiting for the Sharp 80" 240hz to finally fall under 4000.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, my wording was poorly picked there as he's not really slagging it. Just that between the image of the Stallone flick and the low score, it's like no matter what is said no good luck can come for this movie.

I am not sure why I care so much as at least I am entertained but I feel like it's no fair to the people who put the effort into this.

No your wording was fine. I just thought it was ridiculous that he basically said it was good, then it the last sentence said it wasn't and gave it a 2.5

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He just got back to me actually and said he felt The Raid took the premise in a better direction. Not sure I agree even though The Raid was great on it's own terms - I personally do not compare them to each other.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They both have their own strengths. The Raid had masterfully choreographed fight scenes while Dredd had style oozing out of every orifice.

Not that Dredd's fight scenes were bad, or The Raid had no style, but the respective movies have their distinct strong suits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When someone buys the Raid I try to get them to check out Dredd, but so far most of them have responded that it didn't look at good, and normally gives me something about how Asian cinema is the only ones doing serious action movies these days. Okay, go home to your katana and body pillow collections and miss out on one of the best action movies ever.

I think Dredd is going to join Ghostbusters, Flash Gordon and Avengers as movies to put on when I just want to have a movie on.

It also joins those films I mush together to make the Warhammer 40k movie we will never get to see. Though that isn't hard to imagine because Dredd is pretty much 40k to begin with, and many Dredd artists did work for early Games Workshop books.

BTW, I'm looking through my kindle store, and there are Judge Dredd books available, but I cannot tell if they are novels or comics. The ones that look most like comics are Cursed Earth, Dark judges and Day the law Died.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 11, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

He just got back to me actually and said he felt The Raid took the premise in a better direction. Not sure I agree even though The Raid was great on it's own terms - I personally do not compare them to each other.

I don't mind comparing them. I loved the Raid but to me Dredd was a much better film. Martial arts madness doesn't do much for me though and without that I'd almost say Dredd is objectively better.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

twistedmentat posted:

Not only that, but Anderson subverts the stereotype of the idealistic rookie who gets a rude awakening and is forced to give up their lofty ideals to survive. It would have been easy to play it straight and have her compassion and sympathy be "fixed" by the title character but she's the one who ends up convincing Dredd that maybe not everything is black and white. She's badass AND she still manages to be a good person who understands genuine justice on top of it.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

"The mall food court will re-open in thirty minutes" is the best line of dialog from all of 2012.

I watched this again last night (my first Blu-Ray), and it's every bit as good as I remember it being in theatres. It could have easily slipped into being a mindless shooting gallery with its setting and premise, but every setpeice is just so distinct and memorable. I really think this one will still hold up 10 or 20 years from now.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

BTW, I'm looking through my kindle store, and there are Judge Dredd books available, but I cannot tell if they are novels or comics. The ones that look most like comics are Cursed Earth, Dark judges and Day the law Died.

There are novels, not sure how good most of them are. I remember reading one about the Black Atlantic that was kind of fun, but they're definitely schlocky pulp.

http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Novels/lm/2PA7MQT2XY6U8

As to the similarities with The Raid, I wasn't a huge fan. The stories are similar, but Dredd felt like it was executed a little better, though I just might not have been in the zone for a kicky-punchy stunt fest, and that is The Raid.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 11, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

keep punching joe posted:

Dredd/2000 AD aren't actually mainstream in the UK, there was a period in the early 80s when 2000AD was hot poo poo as far as comic books go, but it has never had the cultural impact of Marvel or DC stuff. It's obviously better known than in the states, but it is still a pretty niche franchise really.
Nobody has ever made a Dredd TV show, which shows just how little Dredd matters.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 11, 2013

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
It really does annoy me in a world where most films are a Re-Boot/Remake/Re-imagining/Prequel or sequel that 2 original films that use a similar premise to showcase 2 very different things (martial arts action/comic book violence) keep getting compared to each other.

And yeah I know Dredd is technically a Re-imagining.....but lets face it the Stallone movie and Dredd are worlds apart (I still enjoy the Stallone movie)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

twistedmentat posted:

It also joins those films I mush together to make the Warhammer 40k movie we will never get to see. Though that isn't hard to imagine because Dredd is pretty much 40k to begin with, and many Dredd artists did work for early Games Workshop books.

I don't really get this; isn't 40k all about massive interstellar warfare on a staggering scale? From what little I know about that universe it doesn't seem to have much in common with Judge Dredd... Do civilians even exist in 40k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

david_a posted:

I don't really get this; isn't 40k all about massive interstellar warfare on a staggering scale? From what little I know about that universe it doesn't seem to have much in common with Judge Dredd... Do civilians even exist in 40k?

40k is really an amalgamation of all types of influences from popular science fiction and fantasy. It's even got very clearly 2000AD-inspired "judges" who look like this:

• Locked thread