Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Look at Precious Metal. I've never heard it described as a replica despite the fact that anything Mustang left on the plane started as a spare part.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Here's an anecdote from my Father:

After the second world war was over an enterprising man bought a lot of the RAFs surplus Tiger Moths to ship to America and resell as private aircraft. He took the wings off, put them in shipping containers and sent them home. When they arrived he put no effort into matching the wings to the airframes, if something had broken in transit he just grabbed a part from the next one down the line.

Many years later a gentleman's restoring his Moth and finds a data plate on one of the lower wing spars. Hot drat he's got #83 (I think, it was something 2 digit anyway) off the assembly line, that's gotta be worth something. So he lists it in Trade-A-Plane. And gets an angry phone call from the man who found a matching data plate on his fuselage and claims he owns #83.

Who's actually got #83?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ardeem posted:

Here's an anecdote from my Father:

After the second world war was over an enterprising man bought a lot of the RAFs surplus Tiger Moths to ship to America and resell as private aircraft. He took the wings off, put them in shipping containers and sent them home. When they arrived he put no effort into matching the wings to the airframes, if something had broken in transit he just grabbed a part from the next one down the line.

Many years later a gentleman's restoring his Moth and finds a data plate on one of the lower wing spars. Hot drat he's got #83 (I think, it was something 2 digit anyway) off the assembly line, that's gotta be worth something. So he lists it in Trade-A-Plane. And gets an angry phone call from the man who found a matching data plate on his fuselage and claims he owns #83.

Who's actually got #83?

Let the rich fucker that would potentially buy one determine that. Rarities like that don't really have a value until sold.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6bKCsJd2K0

Goddamnit, Russia.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think this related video is of the same incident, if so then it was an An-224 that overshot the runway and they weren't really offroading for the hell of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTbi2Jxvxw

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Mr. Despair posted:

I think this related video is of the same incident, if so then it was an An-224 that overshot the runway and they weren't really offroading for the hell of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTbi2Jxvxw

Ahh, all right. That makes way more sense. I mean, I know Russians are hardcore, but a 4-engine strategic airlifter doesn't strike me as a good choice for muddin'.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slo-Tek posted:

There is always the philosophical problem of originality. "This is my grandfather's axe, I've replaced the head twice, and the handle three times"

With wooden ships, it is the keel that makes it a restored original rather than a replica. So, the Cutty Sark burned to the waterline, but that's ok, they've still got the keel, so they can rebuild it, and it is still the Cutty Sark, rather than a replica Cutty Sark. Of course, they can also replace the keel later, that is just a maintenance item.
even as an 8-year old kid, I knew they were feeding me bullshit about USS Niagra being the actual original USS Niagra. There's absolutely nothing original remaining.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:siren: Spitfire Update :siren:

Partially excavated crate is full of water (surprise). Starting to pump it out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/search-for-world-war-ii-spitfire-in-myanmar-turns-up-water-filled-crate-1.1106443

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/search-for-world-war-ii-spitfire-in-myanmar-turns-up-water-filled-crate-1.1106443

Welp, so much for that crate being rebuild-able...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slidebite posted:

Gotta love the optimism

David J. Cundall posted:

British aviation enthusiast David J. Cundall, who is driving the hunt for the rare Spitfire planes, called the results "very encouraging."
"It will take some time to pump the water out ... but I do expect all aircraft to be in very good condition," Cundall told reporters in Myanmar's main city, Yangon.

:psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

Gotta love the optimism

:ssh: Don't tell them about the magnesium rivets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are they covered in grease or some other kind of mothballing?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
What's that saying? If it's Boeing it's not going? http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/09/boeing-dreamliner-fire-fuel-leak

Guardian posted:

Boeing Dreamliner 787 fire and fuel leak add to safety concerns

Two Boeing 787 Dreamliner planes have been the subject of safety scares within two days at Boston airport in the US, adding to concerns about the aircraft.

On Monday, an electrical fire erupted on one of Boeing's 787 Dreamliners operated by Japan Airlines at Boston Logan international airport. Authorities said a battery in the auxiliary power unit aboard the plane jet had suffered "severe fire damage".

On Tuesday at the same airport, a fuel leak forced a different 787 operated by JAL to cancel takeoff. Massachusetts Port Authority spokesman Richard Walsh said the plane was towed back to the gate after about 150 litres (40 gallons) of fuel spilled. He said the plane had 178 passengers and 11 crew members on board. Walsh said the plane was evaluated and departed that afternoon. A JAL spokeswoman said the crew had reported a "mechanical issue".

The two incidents have extended a series of problems that have dogged the jet for more than a month and increased concern about the plane.

The fire broke out on an empty Dreamliner jet parked at a gate in Boston. Officials said a battery in the auxiliary power system exploded around 10.30am, shortly after passengers had disembarked. A mechanic inspecting the jet discovered smoke while performing a routine post-flight inspection.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are looking into what caused the problem, which came within weeks of Boeing enduring a string of other electrical problems that briefly grounded three of the planes. The new jet also has suffered an engine failure and fuel leaks in the 14 months it has been in service.

The electrical fire is troubling in part because the 787 relies heavily on electrical power to drive onboard systems that in other jet models are run by air pressure generated by the engines. The new jet also suffered an electrical fire during a test flight, prompting a redesign of electrical systems.

Boeing spokesman Marc Birtel said on Monday: "We are aware of the event and are working with our customer."

The Dreamliner is Boeing's first jet to be made of carbon composites rather than aluminium, a change that reduces the plane's weight and allows it to use less fuel.

Since entering service in October 2011 the plane has repeatedly made headlines for mechanical problems. In July 2012, the FAA investigated an incident in which a 787 engine made by General Electric Co blew apart on the ground in South Carolina, prompting changes in how the engines are made, maintained and inspected. A similar engine failed on a Boeing 747 in Shanghai in September.

The Dreamliner's run of electrical mishaps began on 4 December 2012 when a United Airlines flight from Houston to Newark, New Jersey, made an emergency landing after it appeared that one of its power generators failed. United later said an electrical panel was at fault. On 13 December Qatar Airways said it had grounded one of its three 787 jets because of the same problem. On 17 December, United said a second 787 in its fleet had developed electrical issues.

Also in December, the FAA ordered inspections of 787s after fuel leaks were found on two aircraft operated by foreign airlines. The leaks stemmed from incorrectly assembled fuel line couplings, which could result in loss of power or engine fire, the FAA said.

In late December, the Boeing chief executive, Jim McNerney, said the 787 had not experienced an unusual number of problems for a new aircraft, calling the problems "normal squawks".

The jet was plagued by production problems that delayed its initial delivery by three and a half years. Boeing has nearly 800 unfilled orders for the plane and is ramping up production from five a month to 10 a month this year.

JAL has ordered a total of 45 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, including seven it is already operating. Morito Takeda, a JAL spokesman, said six of those seven aircraft were flying as usual. The seventh remained at Boston Logan airport.

All Nippon Airways, which has placed orders for 66 Dreamliner aircraft including 17 that are already operating, also had no plans to change its orders, said spokesman Etsuya Uchiyama.

Japan's transport ministry has ordered inspections of batteries made by Yuasa for the auxiliary power unit. JAL inspected six of the units and found no problems.

Shares of the batteries' maker, Japan's GS Yuasa Corp, fell sharply for a second day on Wednesday after the fire.

Awkward.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I hope it was a lithium battery, just for the irony.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PainterofCrap posted:

Gotta love the optimism

Well, it is a Supermarine Spitfire.. that means they're designed for the marine...

I got nothing. :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What's that saying? If it's Boeing it's not going? http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/09/boeing-dreamliner-fire-fuel-leak

Awkward.

Not to belittle the seriousness of a fuel leak, but they're certainly not rare, and definitely not limited to Dreamliners or Boeings.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
If it hasn't been posted yet, the U-2 Flight Manual from 1959 was recently declassified and posted online:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119476487/Utility-Flight-Hb-1-Mar-1959

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ardeem posted:

How do you leave the Fairey Swordfish out of a list of British aeronaughtical shenanigans?

Ahem.

Boulton Paul Defiant

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ardeem posted:

A lot of it has to do with regulations. "Ah, you have a warbird... with a transponder in it, excellent here are the general avation restrictions." vs "Ah, an experemental aircraft, have fun never leaving line of sight of an airport without filing a flight plan, or over a city or highway until you've jumped through all these hoops."

Rebuilding an aircraft from a data plate has to do with regulations, but not quite like that. According to the regulations, the entire technical history of an aircraft is associated with the data plate; every part added, removed or repaired, every maintenance job, every minute of flying time is tied to it for legal purposes - from that standpoint, it is the aircraft, rather than the collection of parts it's attached to. Because of that, it also signifies that the aircraft it's attached to complies with whatever certification requirements it was built under. In the case of old aircraft like warbirds, they were built before FAR Part 23/25 was written, but they still comply with the standards of the day. If you were to build an absolutely perfect replica of a P-51 for example, you would never be able to certify it under modern regulations (in fact, you'd have a hard time getting it certified as an Experimental aircraft as well). Slapping an old data plate on the replica would greatly streamline the certification process.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xaarman posted:

If it hasn't been posted yet, the U-2 Flight Manual from 1959 was recently declassified and posted online:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119476487/Utility-Flight-Hb-1-Mar-1959

I like this part from the Technical Data Changes in the front:

quote:

(Delete) - Engine icing is not a problem on this aircraft.

(Add) - Engine icing can be experienced but apparently requires such precise conditions that it is quite uncommon. If fog is present or the dewpoint is within 4deg. C of the ambient temperature.... :words: :words: :words:

Wonder how they figured that one out.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

MrChips posted:

Rebuilding an aircraft from a data plate has to do with regulations, but not quite like that. According to the regulations, the entire technical history of an aircraft is associated with the data plate; every part added, removed or repaired, every maintenance job, every minute of flying time is tied to it for legal purposes - from that standpoint, it is the aircraft, rather than the collection of parts it's attached to. Because of that, it also signifies that the aircraft it's attached to complies with whatever certification requirements it was built under. In the case of old aircraft like warbirds, they were built before FAR Part 23/25 was written, but they still comply with the standards of the day. If you were to build an absolutely perfect replica of a P-51 for example, you would never be able to certify it under modern regulations (in fact, you'd have a hard time getting it certified as an Experimental aircraft as well). Slapping an old data plate on the replica would greatly streamline the certification process.

I'm curious about this. What would be most out of compliance about a P-51? Is it a matter of required equipment, or design of the airframe?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NightGyr posted:

I'm curious about this. What would be most out of compliance about a P-51? Is it a matter of required equipment, or design of the airframe?

The following link is a non-FAA website, but it has a convenient table of contents for FAR Part 23, Airworthiness requirements for aircraft in the normal, utility, aerobatic, and commuter categories.

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/23-index.shtml

Just read the subpart titles, and think about whether half of that poo poo was even remotely a design concern for a fighter aircraft in 1940. All modern GA aircraft are roughly the same, because they're regulated into a tiny little box. Something like a P-51 laughs at the regulatory box, and pisses in its mouth.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

Wonder how they figured that one out.
I decided years ago that any instructions or warnings are far more interesting if you assume they exist because someone, somewhere, did it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Awkward.

gently caress Boeing, gently caress the 787, gently caress composite parts and especially gently caress incompetent project managers who can't read the parts list for the poo poo they're responsible for

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

NightGyr posted:

In the case of a P-51, most of the structure would likely comply with Part 23 with few problems; there would be some minor things that don't comply, but it wouldn't be hard to make it work - the techniques and whatnot used in metal aircraft construction haven't really changed much since then. In terms of equipment and instrumentation, that really isn't an issue even for modern aircraft - you can pretty much install as much or as little as you need to be compliant and be done with.

Where the P-51 would fall foul is in it's flying characteristics, and boy would it fall foul. Just off the top of my head, there's about a dozen points where it would fall foul of Part 23, and in all honesty, probably fall foul of Part 21 (which governs experimental aircraft). The only reason why a P-51 is allowed to fly today is because it's been grandfathered into Part 21 and allowed to fly with a limited type certificate, which basically means that the FAA has determined the aircraft is safe to fly and that's about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rscott posted:

gently caress Boeing, gently caress the 787, gently caress composite parts and especially gently caress incompetent project managers who can't read the parts list for the poo poo they're responsible for

Why so hostile?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

InitialDave posted:

I decided years ago that any instructions or warnings are far more interesting if you assume they exist because someone, somewhere, did it.

The Big Book Of Things We Don't Do Again

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Anta posted:

The Big Book Of Things We Don't Do Again

Largely true.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

rscott posted:

The amount of hate on the internet for the 787 at the moment is astounding. I think almost all of it is due to the introduction of an aircraft with a completely new systems architecture in the era of twitter and the 24 hour news cycle. Issues like those the 787 are dealing with happen on a daily basis on all aircraft, but those aircraft aren't new and don't receive the news scrutiny.

Go read up on how EIS went for the A320. Three hull loses in the first four years, yet no one has any doubts about that aircraft's safety.

Also, I'm curious what you have against composite parts.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Snakes on a plane! And it's an Australian species. And it's the largest one. They should make a movie

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrChips posted:

In the case of a P-51, most of the structure would likely comply with Part 23 with few problems; there would be some minor things that don't comply, but it wouldn't be hard to make it work - the techniques and whatnot used in metal aircraft construction haven't really changed much since then. In terms of equipment and instrumentation, that really isn't an issue even for modern aircraft - you can pretty much install as much or as little as you need to be compliant and be done with.

Where the P-51 would fall foul is in it's flying characteristics, and boy would it fall foul. Just off the top of my head, there's about a dozen points where it would fall foul of Part 23, and in all honesty, probably fall foul of Part 21 (which governs experimental aircraft). The only reason why a P-51 is allowed to fly today is because it's been grandfathered into Part 21 and allowed to fly with a limited type certificate, which basically means that the FAA has determined the aircraft is safe to fly and that's about it.

I'm looking over the FARs right now, and I can't see anything as obvious as you can. Granted, I don't know manufacture of P-51s all that well, but it still seems like a full-scale reproduction of this aircraft built with modern techniques would pass airworthiness requirements for an acrobatic aircraft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm looking over the FARs right now, and I can't see anything as obvious as you can. Granted, I don't know manufacture of P-51s all that well, but it still seems like a full-scale reproduction of this aircraft built with modern techniques would pass airworthiness requirements for an acrobatic aircraft.

Just for starters, Part 23 requires single engine aircraft to stall at 61kts or slower.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
A friend of mine who works for a news affiliate in Georgia sent me a message the other day:

quote:

NOTE TO NEWS MEDIA: This Friday morning a group of people who were rescued in the Congo in 1964 by the U.S. Air Force are coming back to the Museum of Aviation to see the C-130 aircraft involved in the rescue and the pilot, Mac Secord, who flew it. Secord who now lives in Atlanta, was here back in May
2012 to see the aircraft for the first time in 48 years and is returning
again to meet the group he rescued who were young children and their parents
at the time. The meeting will take place at 10:00 a.m. Friday at the
aircraft which will be opened for the meeting.

I made it halfway through before I realized the plane was still in service. Yeah, it's not that uncommon, and everyone talks about how C-130s and B-52s last forever, I just thought it was cool to come across that in practice. Apparently reuniting crew members with their planes from Operation Dragon Rouge has been a thing for multiple museums over the last few years.

The entire conversation got started after I was browsing Google Maps satellite view and came across the 8 C-130s that Lockheed built for Libya but still have sitting around their airfield in Marietta.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 10, 2013

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

MrYenko posted:

Just for starters, Part 23 requires single engine aircraft to stall at 61kts or slower.

I looked at the stall speed requirements, and it appears that 61 knots isn't an absolute limit; you're just required to comply with some additional requirements for structural strength and crash worthiness.

Also, Cavalier built civilian Mustangs in the 60s. I think these were all based on military airframes, though, so they were conversions rather than new aircraft. Looking at the actual type certificate is interesting. It prohibits new built aircraft and only permits parts.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/4f7a595fdcb10b5b862576ab006a4ffd/$FILE/LTC-11.pdf

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why so hostile?

The delays on the 787 means that we're winging in two pretty huge contracts (something like 900 new parts that need FAIs plus subassembly FAIs and assembly FAIs) instead of just one right now and suffice to say we're out kicking our coverage right now. You know the phrase "up poo poo creek with out a paddle?" I don't even have a loving boat.

Understeer posted:

Also, I'm curious what you have against composite parts.

They're a pain in the rear end to inspect compared to al or ti parts and the dust created from drilling hole in them makes my skin itch.

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 10, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rscott posted:

They're a pain in the rear end to inspect compared to al or ti parts and the dust created from drilling hole in them makes my skin itch.

Wait 'til you're stress-testing them to failure by the dozen in a tensile test fixture. Breathing masks for everybody.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

something like 900 new parts that need FAIs plus subassembly FAIs and assembly FAIs
I think that at this point I would just shoot myself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NightGyr posted:

I looked at the stall speed requirements, and it appears that 61 knots isn't an absolute limit; you're just required to comply with some additional requirements for structural strength and crash worthiness.

Also, Cavalier built civilian Mustangs in the 60s. I think these were all based on military airframes, though, so they were conversions rather than new aircraft. Looking at the actual type certificate is interesting. It prohibits new built aircraft and only permits parts.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/4f7a595fdcb10b5b862576ab006a4ffd/$FILE/LTC-11.pdf

What Pilatus had to go through to get four extra knots for the PC-12 makes me think that the FAA isn't going to be ok with an extra thirty-four.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Classy, CNN:

So, I guess not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

smackfu posted:

Classy, CNN:

So, I guess not?