Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

Welp.

(Oh and apparently they are going to distribute this.)

apparently it's not gonna get far, so if anyone wants to trade for a few bottles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Retemnav posted:

Anyone else tried 21st's Marooned on Hog Island? And if so, did you find it aggressively salty? I had one the other night with a meal and by the end I felt like I was drinking beer brewed with ocean water.

Had some last weekend, it was probably the least salty/briney oyster stout I've had, I was pretty dissapointed.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
A few pages ago I recommended the Fox and Hound on 15th and Spruce in Philly for $2 Tuesdays, any draft for $2. The past two times the list has been pretty bad, the place has been over crowded (the first two times were quiet), and the servers have been so swamped they were giving out the wrong beers. It's not bad if you want some decent beer for $2, they had Stoudt's Triple last night, but it's been super crowded lately and the service has been poor.

I went over to Monk's after Fox and Hound and had a De La Senne Band of Brothers which is a Belgian Pale Ale, but it was really boring, just a clean malt bill with light hop presence, though no bitterness. I wound up also buying a bottle of Jester King's Le Petit Prince that I've been searching for for a while since the book holds a lot of sentimental value to me. It's pretty flavorful for a 2.9% beer and while I wasn't expecting much it was decent. The bottle alone was worth a few bucks to me. I'm upset I missed Russian River's Supplication though, I've been wanting to try some of Russian River's sours.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh god, between Hopslam, Blacknote, and Barrel-Aged Blackout....pretty sure I will go broke on beer over the next few weeks.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So I have a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout I'm not sure that I will be drinking. Anyone want to trade?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Captain Shortbus posted:

Sorry for the multi post:
Stone 06-12 vertical was a bit too much in one sitting. Too many different styles and flavors.

My personal opinion is that most of them aren't very good either.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Munkaboo posted:

So I have a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout I'm not sure that I will be drinking. Anyone want to trade?

I'd be willing to try it, want anything from San Diego County? PM me if so, I don't usually like trading for single bottles given how much it costs to ship any amount of beer, but I'm not too picky if it's not locally available so I'm sure we could put something together.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The local brewers just unleashed a flood of imperial stouts on the market. I grabbed a whiskey barrel stout, but when I opened it tonight I discovered someone had hosed up and filled the bottle with saison.

I guess all the kinks aren't out of the production lines yet. :anime:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The local brewers just unleashed a flood of imperial stouts on the market. I grabbed a whiskey barrel stout, but when I opened it tonight I discovered someone had hosed up and filled the bottle with saison.

I guess all the kinks aren't out of the production lines yet. :anime:

You're in Texas if I recall - where exactly, and what brewery did this?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

air- posted:

You're in Texas if I recall - where exactly, and what brewery did this?

Oklahoma actually, and it was Krebs brewing. Their Prairie Noir stout.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I sat down to enjoy a Founder's Imperial Stout for the first time. Before I was able to finish it, I had delivered my daughter, with the helpful coaching of a first responding police officer.

Hopefully it ages well.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

GigaFool posted:

I sat down to enjoy a Founder's Imperial Stout for the first time. Before I was able to finish it, I had delivered my daughter, with the helpful coaching of a first responding police officer.

Hopefully it ages well.

Your daughter or the beer? Hi-ooooooo

But seriously, congrats! I didn't even think about having to shelve a beer when my wife was about to pop. I'll have to remember that for next time. Good protip.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

GigaFool posted:

Hopefully it ages well.

Congratulations! It ages very well, it's probably in my top 3 favorite Russian Imperial Stouts.

Edit: If Black Note doesn't come to OH, I'm strongly considering driving the 4 hours to Kalamazoo to pick up a four pack or two. I'm loving insane.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 10, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Double Daisy Cutter lands next Friday. Bombers this year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Double Daisy Cutter lands next Friday. Bombers this year.

Have you had it before, and if so how is it compared to the regular version? I adore Daisy Cutter (down to 3 cans now... :() and am trying to decide if I want to bribe some of you Chicago area people into sending me some.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Have you had it before, and if so how is it compared to the regular version? I adore Daisy Cutter (down to 3 cans now... :() and am trying to decide if I want to bribe some of you Chicago area people into sending me some.

I had it once but frankly, it was after a couple other big things and I'm not really settled on my opinion of it. I thought it was good but not on the level of some other midwestern IIPAs. It's definitely more on the sweet side than on the west-coast-holy-gently caress-that's-a-lot-of-hops side. Definitely worth trying, especially if you love DC.

If you're still coming in for the bottle share, I would think they would still have some as it'll only be out one or two days at that point. It went fast last year, but not sold-out-in-one-day fast. I think bombers will sell slower than the 4 packs, too.

Speaking of the bottle share, I'm still waiting to hear back from my buddy who will be in town that weekend but it looks like I might be able to swing by even if it's on Saturday.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Josh Wow posted:

Had some last weekend, it was probably the least salty/briney oyster stout I've had, I was pretty dissapointed.

Huh, maybe I should just stay away from oyster stouts, I'm obviously sensitive to their salt content. The only other one I've had is made by The Oyster House Brewery in Asheville, and it's far less briney than Marooned. In fact it was the main reason I picked up the 21st, because it's one of my favorite beers. I try to make a stop every time I'm in Asheville for it.

I tried another Marooned last night, after letting it warm up for 30 minutes to see if I just drank the first one too cold, but I still found it built up until it was unpleasently salty through the last half. At least to my tastebuds.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I agree about that Marooned stout. Not enough oyster for me, though it's a tough balance to strike. Better too little than too much. Flying Dog has made one of my favorite oyster stouts, surprisingly enough.

And to go back briefly to the IIPA subject, Coronado's Idiot is a very very good one. I don't get to see it very often, but it's like a bigger Sculpin. I'm bummed that Hopslam isn't coming to VA/DC until so long after bottling - it had a delicious orange flavor when I tried it super fresh a few years ago. I'm broke anyhow, though, so maybe I can avoid buying it altogether.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Speaking of the bottle share, I'm still waiting to hear back from my buddy who will be in town that weekend but it looks like I might be able to swing by even if it's on Saturday.

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to swing it after all now, unfortunately. :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to swing it after all now, unfortunately. :(

There you go getting us all excited then backing out...

Half Acre isn't exactly close for me, but if I do manage to swing up there next weekend, I'll snag a couple bottles for you. Least I can do for getting me a Bolt Cutter. If anyone else gets to you first, just lemme know.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

There you go getting us all excited then backing out...

Sorry. :( I really wanted to, and then I saw my credit card bill from last month and well.....

danbanana posted:

Half Acre isn't exactly close for me, but if I do manage to swing up there next weekend, I'll snag a couple bottles for you. Least I can do for getting me a Bolt Cutter. If anyone else gets to you first, just lemme know.

That would be awesome! Don't make a special trip or anything, if I can't get any I'll live.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Retemnav posted:

Huh, maybe I should just stay away from oyster stouts, I'm obviously sensitive to their salt content. The only other one I've had is made by The Oyster House Brewery in Asheville, and it's far less briney than Marooned. In fact it was the main reason I picked up the 21st, because it's one of my favorite beers. I try to make a stop every time I'm in Asheville for it.

I tried another Marooned last night, after letting it warm up for 30 minutes to see if I just drank the first one too cold, but I still found it built up until it was unpleasently salty through the last half. At least to my tastebuds.

Those are the two oyster stouts I've had, too, and I thought I remembered OHB's having a stronger 'ocean' flavor. I tasted them months apart though, and OHB was three breweries into a four brewery walking tour so I don't trust my memory of that one very much :) .

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Was somewhat surprised to learn that MA has not one, but two breweries that specialize in session-y beers -- Notch, and High and Mighty. Notch's "Cerne Pivo", a malty black lager, really kicked rear end and if I lived here I'd probably drink a lot of it.

Also finally got to have a beer on tap from Brash, the joint operated by the guy who owns Petrol Station (the best bar in Houston). He set up his brewing operation in MA because TX law states you can't own both a bar and a brewery. You can tell he knows a lot about beer because he looks like this

The beer was "The Bollocks," a 12% IPA that pretty much ended my night (in a good way).

e: I see from their website that Bukowski in Cambridge has 2011 Creme Brulee Stout on tap; I think I know what's going to end my night tonight (in a bad way)...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

A few interesting things from last night:

Bell's Oarsman Ale - Even for a Berliner, this is thin-bodied and low on flavor. It's not particularly sour, either. Might be okay as babby's first sour or something, but I won't seek this out.

Cantillon Bruocsella - I think this was a 2011, not positive though. Absolutely uncarbonated. Silky smooth mouthfeel without being greasy. Lots of funk with a good sour background, but kind of a blank slate otherwise.

Kane Brewing Company (Ocean, NJ) Head High - From a two-week-old (but still sealed) growler. Surprise of the night. This is a proper loving West Coast IPA, I don't care if it came from Jersey. Huge piney Simcoe on the nose, big hop presence through the whole experience. Seek this out if you can, it's really great.

Impulse - This is Blue Moon brewed with Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. I generally have a lot of trouble picking up diacetyl for some reason. It may be genetic deafness (Wikipedia says that's a thing) or just a blind spot in my palate, I don't know. Despite this difficulty, this smelled like movie theater butter and awfulness. I don't know how they managed to abuse the yeast so badly they produced that much diacetyl - perhaps individual protozoa flagellating each yeast cell to increase the torture quotient - but it was horribly, overwhelmingly apparent. Oh, and underneath the diacetyl this poo poo tastes like watered down five year old Beaujolais nouveau. I'd rather punch myself in the dick than drink this again.

DFH Birra Etrusca - One of the better DFH Wild And Crazy beers. It's fairly dry compared to most of their ancient offerings, fruity and refreshing. Not even close to my favorite thing from them, but tolerable. It might make a better summer beer, but I'm not sure it will age well enough to last that long.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
You're doing it wrong:

Blue Moon Impulse

Poured into my diamond-encrusted Cantillon snifter signed by the Floyds.

A- Transparent light red with 1/2" head. Like a sunset through a ruby through a funhouse plate glass window.

S- Heavy diacetyl scent. Grapes (red), figs, oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, strawberries, grapes (white), kiwis, and pine all present.

T- Not as tart as smell indicates. Citrus not present but heavy grape/wine aftertaste reminds me of Yellow Tail's sauvignon blanc, only with weak malt profile that doesn't impede.

M- Crisp, high carbonation. Light body, watery feel.

O- I'd rather punch myself in the dick than drink this again.

Serving type: bottle

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Thats not an accurate BA review since you never mention the lacing

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RiggenBlaque posted:

Thats not an accurate BA review since you never mention the lacing

DAMMIT. Now everyone will know I'm a fake!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sirotan posted:

It's really good. Not mind blowing good, but it has been pretty fantastic fresh. I prefer the Galaxy version myself though.

What's mind-blowingly good (to me) came out yesterday at HA. Callow Knife how I love thee.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

bartolimu posted:

Kane Brewing Company (Ocean, NJ) Head High - From a two-week-old (but still sealed) growler. Surprise of the night. This is a proper loving West Coast IPA, I don't care if it came from Jersey. Huge piney Simcoe on the nose, big hop presence through the whole experience. Seek this out if you can, it's really great.

That's exciting to hear, hopefully they can actually get some distribution in Southern New Jersey. Their 365 did make it here though which is a 70% blend of their fresh quad and a 30% blend of an imperial stout that was in bourbon barrels for a year. It had some vinegar and slightly sour notes with nice complexity given the blend though heavier on fruity notes with just a light chocolate backing.

Again New Jersey beer goons, mark your calender for Black Friday. You're going to want to head over to the Canals in West Deptford. I was in there today getting the Stille Nacht Reserva and saw a bottle of Goose Island's Big John and Bourbon County Cherry Rye. The beer manager said they are saving lots of rare beers like the cherry rye for Black Friday. Who knows what else they'll have.

Edit: Bourbon County Coffee is also coming too so keep your eyes peeled.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 10, 2013

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently the Black Note 4pks will only hit Chicago (outside of MI, that is)? drat you Bell's. :(

I Dont Like You fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 10, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

I Dont Like You posted:

Apparently the Black Note 4pks will only hit Chicago (outside of MI, that is)? drat you Bell's. :(

Ugh, looks like I might make a drive to Kalamazoo tomorrow. Does anyone know how much they're going for per 4 pack, and if there's a single 4 pack limit at Bell's?

Edit: Answered my own question by going to Bell's facebook page (woops, forgot about that), $23.99/4 pack, and it seems like there's a case limit. I'm wondering if it's even going to be available at the general store tomorrow if I decide to make the drive... someone on their FB page posted they didn't have it there today.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 10, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

Ugh, looks like I might make a drive to Kalamazoo tomorrow. Does anyone know how much they're going for per 4 pack, and if there's a single 4 pack limit at Bell's?

BA reporting that Bell's is all out of the 4-packs now at the General Store.

Also, man, I want to get a 4-pack of this just so I can go on BA and be a huge dick about it. People are actually complaining about Bell's releasing this in 4-packs. More than one person has whined about Bell's 'lying' to them about how Black Note was never going to be distributed, and that they now have buyer's remorse because the 750s were about the same price as the 4-packs despite giving them less beer by volume.

:qq:

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Sirotan posted:

BA reporting that Bell's is all out of the 4-packs now at the General Store.

Also, man, I want to get a 4-pack of this just so I can go on BA and be a huge dick about it. People are actually complaining about Bell's releasing this in 4-packs. More than one person has whined about Bell's 'lying' to them about how Black Note was never going to be distributed, and that they now have buyer's remorse because the 750s were about the same price as the 4-packs despite giving them less beer by volume.

:qq:

That made me laugh. There was also at least one person who bought a case and is SCARED to even drink it because of THEIR COLLECTION. Ugh.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

I Dont Like You posted:

That made me laugh. There was also at least one person who bought a case and is SCARED to even drink it because of THEIR COLLECTION. Ugh.

saw that dipshit. i often hesitate to drink cool stuff i've traded for, but that's only because i want to share it with someone and would feel guilty if i had it all to myself. or it's like four-year vertical of a 10% stout, no way i'm doing that alone.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

saw that dipshit. i often hesitate to drink cool stuff i've traded for, but that's only because i want to share it with someone and would feel guilty if i had it all to myself. or it's like four-year vertical of a 10% stout, no way i'm doing that alone.

Same. I have a lot of beer but I tend to buy faster than I drink because it's not easy to kill a bomber of a massive stout by myself, and there's some fairly polarizing stuff in my collection that I definitely couldn't finish on my own (think Cantillon Iris) that I tend to save for bottle shares and the like.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Same. I have a lot of beer but I tend to buy faster than I drink because it's not easy to kill a bomber of a massive stout by myself, and there's some fairly polarizing stuff in my collection that I definitely couldn't finish on my own (think Cantillon Iris) that I tend to save for bottle shares and the like.

Nothin' wrong with what you guys are saying, obviously. I know, it's BA and all, but that site really makes me wish more of my friends were really into beer. None of the bottle shops I can walk to are all that great (or at least the beer guys aren't), so I almost have to rely on BA for knowing when new stuff comes out.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I Dont Like You posted:

I can imagine the sort of conversations that this dude must have when showing people his collection:

quote:

"Now, all these wines beers are very old. I bought them to make sure they were cared for properly."

"You got a lot of wine beer to drink."

"They're too valuable to drink."

"So you sell them?"

"Never, they mean too much to me."

I wonder how many bottles of Imperial Stouts that taste like soy sauce this guy has sitting in his cellar.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I'll continue to quote people and agree!

About a year ago, I threw a party to help drink down my 4 or 5 year old collection of barley wines that I had slowly but surely grown to unreasonable. Probably 10 people that were there helped split bottles and it still didn't kill everything. Fast forward to today, where my biggest beer buying year ever has taken up a wine fridge, a small liquor cabinet, and multiple boxes in my bedroom closet. Oh, and the stuff in my regular fridge. It's not a huge collection, but it would take a bottle share every month to deplete it all by 2014. And that's only me providing bottles to share.

That makes me really wonder what the hell people who buy cases of Black Note actually do with their beer. Drinking it would take months (assuming you just didn't drink it exclusively for 2 weeks or something). Trading it is nice but will likely get you equivalent amounts of beer back, bringing up the question again about how the hell you'd drink it all.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I Dont Like You posted:

I almost have to rely on BA for knowing when new stuff comes out.

I'm not actually a BA member, but I do lurk on the forums in certain threads. But most of my beer release info comes directly from the breweries (twitter, FB, or blogs) or beerpulse. I RSS everything and just let google tell me when someone posted. I find it's much more informative and much less butt-hurt than BA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

I'm not actually a BA member, but I do lurk on the forums in certain threads. But most of my beer release info comes directly from the breweries (twitter, FB, or blogs) or beerpulse. I RSS everything and just let google tell me when someone posted. I find it's much more informative and much less butt-hurt than BA is.

I mean mainly for stuff actually hitting the city, since the handful of beer stores don't really embrace the whole "Internet" thing, heh. Even that is a crap shoot, since there aren't too many people from Milwaukee from there, mostly just Chicago and Michigan.