Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My dad has cancer.

If you ever get cancer, be prepared for people to tell you about home remedy cancer cures like Essiac or Flor-Essence tea.

Thirty seconds of googling will make it abundantly clear that they are about as effective as rhino horns and tiger penises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

My dad has cancer.

If you ever get cancer, be prepared for people to tell you about home remedy cancer cures like Essiac or Flor-Essence tea.

Thirty seconds of googling will make it abundantly clear that they are about as effective as rhino horns and tiger penises.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'd find it hard not to be really aggressive with people who promulgated those home cures. The only thing that would stop me from lashing out (physically or verbally) would be the constant thought, repeated to myself so I don't forget it, that they mean well. Even if they are loving morons.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ignorance and idiocy should be challenged wherever and whenever it is met.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
So sorry to hear that :(

And do you mean as opposed as to encouraged?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

I'd find it hard not to be really aggressive with people who promulgated those home cures. The only thing that would stop me from lashing out (physically or verbally) would be the constant thought, repeated to myself so I don't forget it, that they mean well. Even if they are loving morons.

Some of these people are aggressive as gently caress in their missionary ways. Some gently caress did the rounds at the hospice my aunt (and later my dad) was in during the last weeks of her life and tried to convince people, very loudly, that they really needed to chew licorice root or whatever the gently caress. It was as bad as someone telling a terminal patient to repent their ways and Jesus would heal them. If I had been there, I don't think I could have stopped myself from throwing him out bodily - thankfully, the nurses in places like that are amazing and got rid of him quite fast.

Well-wishing and sympathy is all good, as is the urge to help, but... yeah. Pisses me off. Like Jehova's witnesses who check the death notices and start coming a-knockin' to console the bereaved.

<going to go smoke an angry cigarette and drink an angry cup of coffee to get my blood pressure down>

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

therattle posted:

I think if it were me, after the first incident I would say "I know you're just trying to help, but it's obvious you don't know a goddamn thing about medicine and I am not in any condition to listen to your conspiracy theories." After that, they get no quarter.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

I think if it were me, after the first incident I would say "I know you're just trying to help, but it's obvious you don't know a goddamn thing about medicine and I am not in any condition to listen to your conspiracy theories." After that, they get no quarter.

I like this. Especially if you are holding something (like a bottle) somewhat menacingly. People like that make me almost as angry as anti-vac people, for whom I hold a special place in my rage-filled heart.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Who the hell doesn't like you hoovering?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

I like this. Especially if you are holding something (like a bottle) somewhat menacingly. People like that make me almost as angry as anti-vac people, for whom I hold a special place in my rage-filled heart.

I wish a particularly virulent strain of smallpox on those people. Idiots.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I try to be at least somewhat sympathetic with those idiots, given that the non-alternative medicines we use to fight cancer are simply poison. I have no doubt that 50 years from now we will look back at chemotherapy and think it barbaric.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I try to be at least somewhat sympathetic with those idiots, given that the non-alternative medicines we use to fight cancer are simply poison. I have no doubt that 50 years from now we will look back at chemotherapy and think it barbaric.

For real. My sister got permanent brain damage from that when she was fighting leukemia, and it messed up a lot of other stuff too. Still, though, you go to work with the tools you have, etc.

Steve, sorry about your dad.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Except that it's because of these people that smallpox, measles, mumps and polio is coming back. Unfounded in science and based on the words of one deluded MD and a pair of talking tits who refuses to accept that she can't blame anyone for her child's autism.

e: I'm sorry, I misunderstood which idiots you were talking about. I see your point, but a lot of them are at best well-meaning snakeoil salesmen.

e2: gently caress, I'm an rear end in a top hat:

Steve, I'm really sorry for hijacking and jumping on my soapbox. I hope your dad and your family comes out okay.

Dane fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 10, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I put having an issue with chemo and having an issue with vaccinations in different categories. Chemo has known, scientifically proven, deleterious effects. That's not to say their quack alternatives are anything more than placebo, just that it's justifiable to want to seek an alternative.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think that the one thing we can all agree on, though, is that cancer is a motherfucker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMaGnpVaSGQ

The best parts are the first 30 seconds and 4:14

Alright, that's enough pity party, back to your regularly scheduled jibber jabber

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 10, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think that the one thing we can all agree on, though, is that cancer is a motherfucker.

I disagree. :smug:

Someone had to do it... Sorry. It's grim alright.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There is a lot more to cancer treatment than chemotherapy, though. Yes, several cancer treatments are pretty horrible (although I would argue that they are probably better than dying of cancer), but actually endocrine therapy and radiotherapy are highly effective and nowhere near as miserable for the patient. Trying to argue against them (in favour of homeopathy or whatever) is loving outrageous.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

There is a lot more to cancer treatment than chemotherapy, though.

Well no poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Some medical treatments are awful and make you sick before you get better, like chemotherapy. Recognizing that fact does not in any way validate the magical woo-woo bullshit sold by hucksters on badly-designed websites that look like they were made by a schizophrenic in 1995.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Some medical treatments are awful and make you sick before you get better, like chemotherapy. Recognizing that fact does not in any way validate the magical woo-woo bullshit sold by hucksters on badly-designed websites that look like they were made by a schizophrenic in 1995.

The problem with chemotherapy is it has long term, permanent effects. It's not just that it makes you sick for a while, it's that in many cases it makes you sick forever, particularly in the case of children. It kills off the fastest dividing cells, which, if you're a baby or a young child, is pretty much all of them.

Also, understand the allure of alternatives treatments if you're the victim of an orphan cancer. No one is going to develop a drug for you, because if only a few hundred people are dying from your disease a year, it's not profitable. So people can easily be tempted by the promise of alternatives. It doesn't mean you're an idiot so much as it means you're desperate.

There's lot of promising treatments being developed right now though. Stem cell treatments are of course one of them, as are targeted treatments based on the specific biology of a person's cancer. The latter allows them to administer a very narrowly focused chemo that does minimal collateral damage.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Orphan means that the childs parents died, and it is nor being treated, because?

If it is what I Think it is, then that is horribly inhumane!

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Sorry about your dad, Steve, that sucks so hard. My grandpa is currently having issues with cancer, too.

Actually, he's probably going to die from it, but I'm the only one willing to admit it right now.
Goddamn I hate "alternative medicine" people. There are some things considered "alternative" that actually do something (like acupuncture/pressure), but there's so much loving bullshit. when given the opportunity, I generally respond with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

There's lot of promising treatments being developed right now though. Stem cell treatments are of course one of them, as are targeted treatments based on the specific biology of a person's cancer. The latter allows them to administer a very narrowly focused chemo that does minimal collateral damage.

Oh man, when I first heard about the latter, I was like :aaaaa: SCIENCE IS AWESOME. The Gamma knife stuff is cool, too.

Happy Hat, that means that only a small amount of people have or ever have had the type of cancer in question.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Lyssavirus posted:

Happy Hat, that means that only a small amount of people have or ever have had the type of cancer in question.

Ahh, I was thinking after the deal last year with FGR and then I May have jumped to an inference that was wrong.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Lyssavirus posted:

Specifically, it's probably a one-off mutation that is specific to the person, and in most cases will be incurable without broad chemotherapy, which will probably kill you anyways.

My grandpa has beaten cancer twice now, here's hoping he doesn't have to go for round three.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My grandpa has beaten cancer twice now, here's hoping he doesn't have to go for round three.

My grandfather had esophageal cancer, and the the third time was enough; he decided to go into hospice. He was 92, and he was done fighting. I don't blame him at all.
He didn't regret the first two rounds of cancer treatment, though, it bought him 5 more years of life that was worth living.

The crazy alternative "cures" seem pretty rampant on FaceBook, like that onion bullshit we were talking about a few pages back. Since my girlfriend's blog deals with healthy eating, it seems to attract a lot of that insanity, including the anti-vac folks. That said, they are still less crazy then the militant vegans that used to stalk her page.

therattle posted:

anti-vac people, for whom I hold a special place in my rage-filled heart.

Well said. I almost wish I believed in hell, so that I could drat them to it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Squashy Nipples posted:

My grandfather had esophageal cancer, and the the third time was enough; he decided to go into hospice. He was 92, and he was done fighting. I don't blame him at all.
He didn't regret the first two rounds of cancer treatment, though, it bought him 5 more years of life that was worth living.

Mine had colon, then skin cancer on his nose. The joke is that his face looks like his rear end, because that's where they grafted the skin from(no, really, rear end skin is the best, according to his doctor.) But he's only 68ish, and an angry old man, cancer is easy for him :black101:

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I knew a guy that burned his hands when he was young, so they grafted rear end skin to his hands. He would sometimes put his hand on your shoulder or whatever and deadpan, "I'm touching you with my butt." :haw:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's almost worth burning your hands for.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Specifically, it's probably a one-off mutation that is specific to the person, and in most cases will be incurable without broad chemotherapy, which will probably kill you anyways.

Orphan disease just means that it affects a small portion of the population. All childhood cancers are considered orphan diseases since it's relatively rare.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's hoping for the best, Dane. Unrelated, new router means internet that works right. Which means more music. The Reverend Horton Heat is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URVaQ3v0svE

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Lyssavirus posted:

I knew a guy that burned his hands when he was young, so they grafted rear end skin to his hands. He would sometimes put his hand on your shoulder or whatever and deadpan, "I'm touching you with my butt." :haw:

I used to have webbing between two fingers on my left hand. Now I have rear end skin there, and two giant scars on my butt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I used to have webbing between two fingers on my left hand. Now I have rear end skin there, and two giant scars on my butt.

Please tell that your butt is webbed now too!!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I had a teacher who had thigh skin grafted onto his palm. He had to shave it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Please tell that your butt is webbed now too!!

That is a most unfortunate image.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pile of brown posted:

I had a teacher who had thigh skin grafted onto his palm. He had to shave it

Likely story. He was obviously a chronic masturbator :rolleyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
thank gently caress CES is over, my feet are killing me.

highlights of the trip:

-elevator slammed shut on me like in cartoons
-cut foot open on hotel chair
-how do you people live in the desert i mean i still think i'm dehydrated
-bloggers who don't understand why pr people and engineers don't want to talk to a neckbeard wearing stained t-shirts from the internet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eat This Glob posted:

Likely story. He was obviously a chronic masturbator :rolleyes:

Let's be honest if this were true, every 15-year old would have beards hitting the floor

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you meet any internet celebrities?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Long as were still sharing details of wall let me add mine to the mix. On New Year's Eve I went out with my kid, because it's her birthday, and we went snow tubing. I'll keep the details short, but in the course of snow tubing I dislocated the gently caress out of my shoulder. I hate my elbow really hard and when I looked over at that arm my shoulder was by my ear.
Also had increased in pain significantly from zero to holy poo poo!

I gently pulled it down on my arm and my entire arm slid down my chest! This is a sensation if you've never had it it is difficult to describe.
The wife and gathered all the youngsters into the minivan and she drove me to the hospital. They shot me up with morphine ( 16 mg total ) and eventually were able to a reset the shoulder.

The level of pain you are in when you have managed to completely and thoroughly dislocated her shoulder is excruciating. When the nurse asked me what my pain level was like on a level of 1 to 10 I said "well I am alternating between hyperventilating, nausea, and flop sweat, and there's no position where my shoulder does not feel like it's on fire."

The nurse said "I think I'll mark that in eight." I said that sounds reasonable, I anticipated that a 10 meant the person was simply screaming and incoherent.

So, I go to work with my arm strapped to my side because I have to immobilize my shoulder for 96 hours and make myself feel a tiny bit better, I grab a piece of candy out of the candy dish. It's a hard candy, mint and I decided to bite down on it. I broke one of my teeth right the gently caress in half.

This is also something that is excruciatingly painful.

God has apparently decided to repay all my lovely karma all at once!

Worst part was I had a decent dose of narcotics but since I was in lots of pain it basically just made me dizzy. Then they told me I shouldnt drink on new years eve because mixing alcohol and narcotics has a synergistic effect and you can end up dead.

Edit: drat Siri translation.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NosmoKing posted:

Long as were still sharing details of wall let me add mine to the mix. On New Year's Eve I went out with my kid, because it's her birthday, and we went snow tubing. I'll keep the details short, but in the course of snow tubing I dislocated the gently caress out of my shoulder. I hate my Elbel really hard and when I looked over at that arm my shoulder was by my ear.
Also had increased in pain significantly from zero to holy poo poo!

I gently pulled it down on my arm and my entire arm slid down my chest! This is a sensation if you've never had it it is difficult to describe.
The wife and gathered all the youngsters into the minivan and she drove me to the hospital. They shot me up with morphine parentheses 16 mg total and parentheses and eventually were able to a reset the shoulder.

The level of pain you are in when you have managed to completely and thoroughly dislocated her shoulder is excruciating. When the nurse asked me what my pain level was like on a level of 1 to 10 I said "well I am alternating between hyperventilating, nausea, and flop sweat, and there's no position where my shoulder does not feel like it's on fire.

The nurse said "I think I'll mark that in eight." I said that sounds reasonable, I anticipated that a 10 meant the person was simply screaming and incoherent.

So, I go to work with my arm strapped to my side because I have to immobilize my shoulder for 96 hours and make myself feel a tiny bit better, I grab a piece of candy out of the candy dish. It's a hard candy, mint and I decided to bite down on it. I broke one of my teeth right the gently caress in half.

This is also something that is excruciatingly painful.

God has apparently decided to repay all my lovely karma all at once!

Ouch. I guess you're dictating your posts.

My wife wants me to make clear that I wrongly thought that sea lions were similar to walruses; in reality they are closer to seals.

HAPPY NOW, LAURA!??

Edit: Laura says yes.